Is iit being too ambitious to aim for half-ironman in the next 18months?

Comments

• Only the World Triathlon Corporation can call an event an Ironman or a Half Ironman, they own the rights to the name.

In the same way Peugeot can't call their next car a Ford Focus

It's not about applying to call your event an HIM or IM, like I said don't worry about it

Ps you can call yourself what ever you want, I say I have done 4 Ironmen but only 2 were actually IM branded events
  • If the Wild Boar was an official Half Ironman event - the entry fee would probably be 3x the current £80.

• The difference in length is purely down to how long the loop is - it is just under 21km from memory.  I did one loop last year in 51.02 mins this year in 44.17 mins image definitely enjoyed this years ride a lot more!

• Dave - iam not worried just curious however as u said u did 4 ironmans but only 2 were branded so when i do the Wild Boar ,notice i said when not if! i will be able to say i have done a half ironman albeit not an official one

Am winding down training as lichfield sprint in two weeks - will post outcome whatever it is.
  • You can say what ever you want

When you do the Boar you will be able to say you have done an official middle distance event, that is the same as a half Ironman...

Don't understand why you say doing the Boar is good practice before you do a proper one !

A) you might annoy the organisers of the Boar

B) do you think it is going to be any easier because one has an over hyped American title ?

You might note that the World a Triathlon Corporation never call them Half Ironmen anyway. They always call them 70.3
  • Maybe practice is wrong word - i should have said the Wild Boar Middle Distance is a good first event for me as its local to see how i get on doing such distance- its one thing to do the miles in training but in a race situation who knows how i will get on.

I know it wont be any easier just because it doesnt have the official tag. Think i will print out the run route for it too so i can give that a try too.
  • A aargh. It's not an official tag

It's the name of a multi million dollar American corporation....

You are saying that a Tesco Race For Life Is more official than the club 5 km I raced on Wednesday !

They are both the same race distance, ergo the are both the same
  • GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    But can you get an M Dot tattoo after doing a non Ironman branded event?
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

TNLN you may be interested in LDWA (long distance walking association) challenge events.  They are long walks, but some people jog.  Dead cheap.

• Thanks marrows i will loolk at it for next year - just lichfield sprint tri & Tour of The National Forest cycle sportive left to do this year - have had a busy few months since march 30 when i did my first sprint then 7 weeks later did my second then my club's aquathlon.

Think i will need a rest after 5th october!
  • But the more events you do, the fitter you get.... Just planning on 10 miles running this morning, just cos the sun is shining and it's great to be able
  • Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭

Hello Tri,

How did you get on with your trial run of the bike circuit? Saw plenty out on Saturday and yesterday around Bosworth - not so many today through!

Up thread I mentioned the Leicester Castle Classic sportive (was last Sunday). I would say its one to put on your list for next year as was a really nice steady route, no real climbs but plenty of sections to get your toe down.

hope your training for Lichfield and ToNF is going well! 

• Hi Jen

Didnt go out on bike sunday after all. Tbh dont want to tempt fate by having a mishap which cd jeopardise lichfield & the TONF. Also although its nice she wants to come out riding sometimes i wd like to go out on my own- nearly went out yesterday but deccided not to as if she had seen me she wd have been hurt. Do you know what i mean? How do i tell her that i wd like to go out on my own without offending her?

Not worried abt tonf as have done almost the distance - 60k.As for lichfield sprint have started winding down. Will do a trial run of bike leg at some point - not rushing as not planning to do it until 2016. Working on swim - managed to do 1/2mile in 33mins today building up to do 1 mile in an hour.
  • just keep on with consistant training and you will get better...well done on the swim image

• Will do.Thanks Seren i did 1/2 mile in 37mins last thurs so bettered it by 4 mins.
  • Keep your swim sessions short until you have the right technique and have built speed, battering up and down a pool for a mile in an hour IMO is not the way to go at this stage

learn the skills and then build time/distance, no need at this moment for anything more

• Thanks i only ever do at most 40mins. However although i can do front crawl albeit not brilliantly i choose not to do it as i dont like or enjoy it so only swim and will only ever swim breaststroke. See no point in doing something that makes you miserable just because its quicker &more efficient. I did 400mts in just over 13mins tonite breaststroke.
  • Just go out and ride your bike - you don't need to tell your friend. If she sees you just tell her you fancied going for a ride. Don't make excuses not to train. 

Well done on the swim. If the club has some coached sessions for people learning front crawl it would be worth going. I could hardly swim front crawl at all but made great progress when I had someone telling me what I was doing wrong and helping me. 

• I used to go on a tues evening & eventualy was swimming mostly front crawl then one week somebody else in the club took the session and suddenly any progress i made went backwards. They tried to get me to go faster which i cant do without my breathing going to pot as a result over the following weeks i grew to detest front crawl so the person in question said i cd keep coming but do breaststroke in the 'ironman' lane - a lane for those training for ironman;this worked as the session was 45mins so i was finished before anyone came to use the lane.

They understood how i felt & rather than me feel left out of club swim sessions offered a solution which allowed me to swim the stroke i oreferred whilst still being with my club mates. The session doesnt start back till 2 sept.
  • You will find doing a middle let alone a long distance tri breast stroking in a wetsuit really hard work and take a lot of effort

You might not like fc but if it saves energy for the bike / run it has to be worth sticking with it
  • I hear what u are saying however i found fc exhausting if i tried to swim too fast thats why i am sticking to breaststroke for the time being. I not looking to do middle distance until 2016 or later.
  • I thought it was a full next year ?image
  • Not yet need to see if i can complete a half or middle distance first - teehee. Thanks for thinking that i was. One step at a time.
  • GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    No you don't. My first Tri was Outlaw this year, there was somebody else on here in the same boat, Gh0st maybe. Go for it, train for it and you'll finish it, I promise.
  • Me too. First two races were full distance... image

• shutup you lotimage

you lot started from a different place to the OP

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

I'll need to refer to the How bad were you... thread for comparison, but almost a year to the day before Outlaw I got my 1000m badge in the pool with my then 8 year old son, that was about 600m further than I'd gone beforeimage