Term time holidays

Comments

• Road to nowhere wrote (see)

When I was a kid I had to be practically dying for my parents not to send me to school.  This has carried me through to my working career where I never throw a 'duvet day'.  Just don't understand why people constantly throw 'sickies' and the same when taking kids out of school for a trip to a theme park - that's what weekends are for?

If that extends to going to work when you are ill and spreading it to your colleagues then perhaps you need to rethink your position on that one.  

• Fortunately I'm rarely ill.  Have had to come in with a cold, much like some other people that I work with.  Builds the immune system image

• Just run my daughter and her husband to the airport (Things Dad's will do), And I asked Matt his opinion.

"The little darlings can go on holiday during the schools hols... I have to, so why can't they ?"

and He's a deputy head

• Dave- as a teacher, having all that time off (assuming he's one of the one's that does) does seem an acceptable trade off against having to take it when everyone else is.  Also, he would get slaughtered if he was found out to take time off, with his kids too, in term time.

Nayan- it's not all the time.  It's been two full weeks, about 3 or 4 early weekends and a few odd days.  We make them all count, because we're aware of the 90% rule.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

do you apply a 90% rule for your sickies at work too?

• Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

he would get slaughtered if he was found out to take time off, with his kids too, in term time.

Err.. That's news to me, When did I become a Granddad ??

Sadly as Deputy Head he is only getting 3 and half weeks off over the summer

• Nayan wrote (see)

do you apply a 90% rule for your sickies at work too?

No, we have a very strict sickness regime.  We're allowed 3 absences of up to 13 days in a rolling year.  Everyone takes them all (the odd goody two shoes doesn't).  I keep a record, so I keep to the good.  I have earned extra days off by doing another persons duty after mine, so have always had as much time off as I needed.

If you check out my other thread, you'll see my comments about that image

• Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

he would get slaughtered if he was found out to take time off, with his kids too, in term time.

Err.. That's news to me, When did I become a Granddad ??

Sadly as Deputy Head he is only getting 3 and half weeks off over the summer

Oops, I've outed you.  Better hope the missus doesn't find out image  3.5 weeks isn't bad though Dave.

• It's a long way from the "6 Weeks" that everyone bangs on about tho

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

As long as my child is receiving a good level of education and isn't falling behind, we should be able to do as we see fit, as responsible parents. I occasionally take mine out for special occasions or holidays, they rarely have time off-sick.

But as we all have to bow to the lowest common denominator we have to be a little more careful about it.

But it's really only about 'responsible parenting' and there needs to be a way to penalise irresponsible parenting. That's the only reason we're in this position. 

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Just run my daughter and her husband to the airport (Things Dad's will do), And I asked Matt his opinion.

"The little darlings can go on holiday during the schools hols... I have to, so why can't they ?"

and He's a deputy head

I asked someone I know and they disagree with Matt so that's even.   

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Nayan wrote (see)

This is just teaching kids its OK to throw a sickie and/or lie when you feel like it. Fair enough, if that's how mummy and daddy roll - bit naive to expect anything else really.

It seems to me that getting on in life doesn't depend on blind obedience for rules - in fact very often quite the opposite.  

Seems a useful life lesson to teach kids that breaking a rule for their own benefit when it doesn't do harm to anyone else is not only OK but a good thing.   

• popsider wrote (see)
    Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Just run my daughter and her husband to the airport (Things Dad's will do), And I asked Matt his opinion.

and He's a deputy head

I asked someone I know and they disagree with Matt so that's even.   

Not really, I asked his opinion as I was delivering him on his holiday, and having seen this on here this morning asked him.

He was pretty sore about the cost, But I'm sure if you ask the staff at his school you would get a dozen different answers.

•  
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

RTN- If you go at the weekends, the queue for the good rides is up to 90 minutes.  Personally, I don't want to spend a whole day doing under 1/4 hour of rides.  Go in the week and you'd be unlucky to wait more than 10 minutes.

That's because nobody wants to stand in a queue next to your sick kids.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Lotus Flower wrote (see)

Too little protein = eventual injuries due to the body having nothing to rebuild the tiny tears that muscles get when exercising.

These little tears are mostly not noticed by anybody that has sufficient protein in their body to rebuild, but if a person is short on the protein side, they will eventually be out of action.

Chicken IS an excellent source of protein, but if that is her only source of it, I do not believe it will be enough.

Quorn is great, as are eggs, lentils and spinach - none of these things are high in calories if that is what she is worried about, but they are excellent for protein, which she needs, whether she likes it or not.

popsider wrote (see)
    Nayan wrote (see)

This is just teaching kids its OK to throw a sickie and/or lie when you feel like it. Fair enough, if that's how mummy and daddy roll - bit naive to expect anything else really.

It seems to me that getting on in life doesn't depend on blind obedience for rules - in fact very often quite the opposite.  

Seems a useful life lesson to teach kids that breaking a rule for their own benefit when it doesn't do harm to anyone else is not only OK but a good thing.   

Thats the point - the idea that it doesn't affect anybody else is bollocks, and based on nothing more than a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

More interested to know if lying has resulted in long term success.

🙂

• Seems to work for politicians...

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Miliband, Cameron, and Clegg do ok

• Nayan wrote (see)

I doubt Faith is going to the same sort of school

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I wouldn't call 13 days off in a year a strict sickness policy given the average is something like 5 days per worker.
    If it was part of the package and you could use it in lieu of holiday then that's a different story

I guess I fall into the goody two shoes brigade though, as aside from 2 weeks off following surgery I don't think I've had 13 days sick in total all the time I've been working.

• Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Nayan wrote (see)

I doubt Faith is going to the same sort of school

Just finished at the best public primary school in Surrey and is about to start in the second best junior.

• Only the best school for my daughter to not go to will do image

• KK- We spent a serious amount of time looking into where to live.  Checked out many schools, spoke to people in shops, in the street, forums, etc.  I don't think I could have done anymore to ensure this is the best place for us.  If we didn't get some noise from the people over the road, I would give my efforts a 10/10.

Results are good at her school, but it's not about that.  It's a school where she's nurtured and allowed to be 'herself', which is really rare.  There isn't any bullying and she's a wonderful, confident person, which I was always worried school would change.

• We would have considered Devon (around Lynton/ Exmoor), were work not a consideration.

We're going there on holiday in a couple of weeks though image

• We would have considered Devon, but we only have 5 fingers and toesimage
  • Screamapillar wrote (see)

It isn't always an economic thing  though is it Mutts?

If you work in somwhere where lots of people have school age kids, chances are you aren't always going to be able to have the holidays that fall out of term time. 

I've had to take all sorts of less than ideal holiday dates because of the way my OHs leave works and the job he does. I'm pretty sure parents aren't immune to that

Interestingly, neither of the parents I saw interviewed on the new this morning cited economic reasons. One had a child with cerebral palsy who wanted to take her son to a place that had special facilities for him. It was booked up during the school holidays so she requested to be able to take him towards the end of term. The school refused.

Another bloke had been unable to book leave during the holidays for 4 years running. When the same thing happened on the 5th year he took his kids away during term time and accepted the fine he was given. 

Screamapillar wrote (see)

It isn't always an economic thing  though is it Mutts?

If you work in somwhere where lots of people have school age kids, chances are you aren't always going to be able to have the holidays that fall out of term time. 

I've had to take all sorts of less than ideal holiday dates because of the way my OHs leave works and the job he does. I'm pretty sure parents aren't immune to that

Interestingly, neither of the parents I saw interviewed on the new this morning cited economic reasons. One had a child with cerebral palsy who wanted to take her son to a place that had special facilities for him. It was booked up during the school holidays so she requested to be able to take him towards the end of term. The school refused.

Another bloke had been unable to book leave during the holidays for 4 years running. When the same thing happened on the 5th year he took his kids away during term time and accepted the fine he was given. 

the mistake there was asking...I believe if you ask permission you have to abide by the decision.

so when my children were young. I always informed the schools that the children would be on holiday for such and such dates....

Not one tried to challenge me about it. I think it does depend on individual circumstances. School holidays would not have suited my children so it was term time or not at all. To me a family holiday was a priority even if it was just 5 days in a tent in a wet field somewhere in west wales........