• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Seems to work for politicians...

Such is the fallibility of perception.

🙂

• Options

How so?

Tony Blair did all right out of it: Became PM, lied about WMDs, retired  a wealthy man.

As long as you have no scruples it can very very profitable indeed.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Blair!

I forgot about that one. Mind you, someone is giving him the money, he isn't actually stealing it.

I imagine.

🙂

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

Blair!

I forgot about that one. Mind you, someone is giving him the money, he isn't actually stealing it.

I imagine.

The conversation was about lying though I recall, not stealing.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Blair!

I imagine.

And I'm pointing out that if Blair was such a liar, why are so many people prepared to offer him money simply to hear him. His integrity cannot have been damaged as much as some would like. 

Having no scruples might be very profitable. However, having scruples can be as well. I'll assume you have scruples but no money, which is why you've made the connection.

🙂

• Options

1. Schools can't stop you going on holiday. We can authorise or unauthorise holiday. Strict letter of the law is that all holidays are unauthorised.

2. We do look at case by case as there is get out of 'exceptional circumstances' that we do apply. 'It's cheaper' doesn't apply.

3. We don't do the fining but have to report to the County. What happens then depends on the efficiency of the County.

4. We do find out if parents lie. I've had the daily text to say was ill etc but remember we aren't daft. Might not then be marked as unauthorised holiday but will be unauthorised absence.

5. I challenge attendance that drops below 95%. 85% is when parents can be prosecuted. Attendance below 90% during GCSE years can have impact of reducing grades achieved by one grade. (That is documented research but my documents are in school and I'm on my 3 week holiday).

6. I've had more abuse and threats from parents over attendance than anything else in my career.

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)
    RicF wrote (see)

Blair!

I imagine.

And I'm pointing out that if Blair was such a liar, why are so many people prepared to offer him money simply to hear him. His integrity cannot have been damaged as much as some would like. 

Having no scruples might be very profitable. However, having scruples can be as well. I'll assume you have scruples but no money, which is why you've made the connection.

No, I have scruples and am comfortable enough. I'm making the point that lying is not a bar to success, power, money - in fact it can be advantageous.

Teaching your kids to lie (which is what the original conversation was about): morally dubious - certainly. Damaging - not necessarily.

• Options

Mem- You really come across as a public servant with the things you say.  Like in your first point about authorised/ unauthorised.  What actual difference does it make to me one way or the other?  What ACTUALLY happens?.... nothing, it's just markings on a paper.  But you act as if that's meaningful, because you work for the government and believe in this stuff.

'Not marked as unauthorised, but will be unauthorised'- oh no, we're not conforming.  Again, assuming that we seek your official mark of approval.

Snap out of it and live in the real world.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well Lance Armstrong was exposed as a liar. Actually quite a good example of having money over riding the need of respect.

🙂

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Here's what I am getting from this thread

1) if you don't acknowledge / understand that your actions affect others, you can do what you want.

2) its OK to lie, if you believe you wont be caught out. And even if you are caught out, as long as you arent caught out so much that you get into 'proper' trouble go ahjead and keep lying.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

3) You're allowed to ignore the rules if you think you're intelligent.

• Options

SGG- A letter if it goes below 95%.  Oh no, I'm sh1tting myself now.  Not a piece of paper with words on it.  Wahh.  I'm off to turn myself in to the thought police.

Nayan-

1)  Don't see how it affects anyone else.... or that it affects anything other than our happiness levels.  Doesn't damage the other kids in the class and doesn't make an actual difference to our kids education.

2)  The problem here is that being honest in this situation means doing as you are told and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE.  

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)

3) You're allowed to ignore the rules if you think you're intelligent.

Rules are to guide the wise and for the fool to follow.

• Options

I would just like to say, that I hope none of you take my comments too personally.  This is a subject that hits my red button and I feel passionate about it.

But I love you all really image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Faithsdaddy, i mean no disrespect, but you come across as someone who has limited/no power or influence and is fighting the system looking for every slight "win" or sneaky way past the bosses/hierachy.    If your way is so "wise" how come you only ended up as a postman?

• Options
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

Rules are to guide the wise and for the fool to follow.

Believing this puts you firmly in category 2

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

If your way is so "wise" how come you only ended up as a postman?

I say ... that was a bit below the belt image

• Options

Some companies don't mind - mine doesn't as long as you do your work.

I am currently having lunch. The two people sitting next to me are having a non work-related conversation.

• Options
    StopGenocideInGaza wrote (see)
    DeanR7- No one with a shred of decency would write something as vulgar as that nor would they approve of it. Disgusting. 

Pot calling kettle, surprised you can spell decency,

DeanR7 It probably was a bit of a low blow, but I'd draw the line at moralising to anyone if I'd threatened to punch a woman

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i missed a smilie off the end as it was meant tongue in cheek, if offence was taken it wasnt meant. but not withstanding my crass sounding comment FD is coming across as a chap who has trouble with those in power and calls those following the rules as fools and he is the wise man because he is bucking the system. 

I know many free thinkers like him, who test boundaries and the norm and some work in the same company as me but they get paid very well to put these skills professionally to use rather than to hoodwink a way to get his children off school to go to a theme park.

He is claiming to be the wise man and the rest of us are fools, i disagree...its just i put it poorly in the first post.image

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

SGG- A letter if it goes below 95%.  Oh no, I'm sh1tting myself now.  Not a piece of paper with words on it.  Wahh.  I'm off to turn myself in to the thought police.

Nayan-

1)  Don't see how it affects anyone else.... or that it affects anything other than our happiness levels.  Doesn't damage the other kids in the class and doesn't make an actual difference to our kids education.

2)  The problem here is that being honest in this situation means doing as you are told and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE.  

1) I know that you dont see how it affects anyone else.

2) doing as you are told isnt always a bad thing. You are not Jack bauer, you are just a pleb.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    StopGenocideInGaza wrote (see)
    DeanR7- you have probably/hopefully just lost any bit of respect that you ever had on here. No one with a shred of decency would write something as vulgar as that nor would they approve of it. Disgusting.

Nayan- do you work for yourself or a company owned by others? I'm just wondering how you square it with yourself that posting on here during work hours is ok? I mean- it is not very honest to get paid to work while posting on forums all day.
    My point is that it is all relative- we judge others using a different set if rules or we just don't see ourselves as doing anything wrong...

It's a good point. I should avoid it during working hours.  Not that anyone bats an eyelid here at people surfing the inter web as long as their work is getting done. 

Taking moody sick days though, different kettle of fish...

• Options

I think it's been talked about KK but it's difficult to see how much would change - anything involving travel is always based on demand.

A Caribbean cruise is going to cost you more In April than in September, a trip to Lapland is probably cheaper if you don't want to go in December. It's always peak season somewhere in the world.