Trying to get back into running..

Please can you help I am very frustrated. I used to train 3/4 times a week and even completed a half marathon.  That was 4 years ago now. I just can't get back into it whatever I do. I have no motivation at all. 

Comments

• I think you need to do something different, coming back from an injury was a drag for me.

Try doing something different, i ran to beach swam for a bit and ran home - the change in routine really helped (OK i live near sea - but you could run to the pool or run then cycle, run then do something else).

The other thing is to get a bus/train somewhere and run home - you have no choice then!

Also sign up for a race to give yourself a target.

• I agree with the signing up for a race nothing like a looking deadlines also tell your friends, then the pressure of them knowing helps to get your arse in gear image 

• Thanks. I was never injured just stopped after splliting up with bf etc. I tried running last night and constantly had to stop so maybe I should just stick with it.
  • yeah just keep on plodding, change the stopping to walking, and gradually increase the running and decrease the walking.  I know you've been way past it in the past, but maybe look at C25K but skip the first few weeks start at one of the later weeks? just to give you a bit of structure, if you have a plan to follow it's a lot easier to get out of the door knowing in advance you are going to run on x day.

• Walking is a great way to get started. I got back into running earlier this year and as I was a bit overweight I walked 3 miles as often as I could, and then gradually introduced jogging. Having a running partner is a great help. Also having a goal would help so maybe sign up for a race. I entered a marathon in March so had to get into a training programme. Best of luck. I'm sure you'll get the bug.