Salisbury 54321

2»

Comments

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Marshalling was superb, fruit, cake, bread pudding, jelly babies and orange squash, as well as mars bars and snickers on the penultimate checkpoint, superb! 

• Best value 50k I have found.  A bit too much tarmac for my taste but well organised.  There was shocking behaviour from some of the faster runners (probably on the 30k or marathon).  If you are going to get frustrated with walkers and slower runners don't enter this kind of event.  I got told to get out of the way when I was 8 min miling (that pace didn't last!) which isn't exactly hanging around on a 50km.  Another guy nearly knocked people over running through a check point.  Also the littering of the yew woods with plastic cups when there were plenty bin bags provided was just criminal.  Real trail runners do not drop gel wrappers.  Its a charity event not the olympics.

• Well said, Jacumari.

• I always feel kinda sorry for walkers in these type of mixed events, constantly having to step aside to let us heavy breathers pass- absolute respect as they're usually out there much longer. Though I had to slow to a shuffle around Old Sarum - that path was like an ice rink! Yes yew wood was absolute magic, apart from plastic cups....

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

It was a shame a few of the marathon runners were a little rude, i agree, and did barge passed even when i moved off the trail to allow them through. Most were very polite and said thanks when i got out of their way. Did hear the lady who i assumed owned the farm at the start with the camel shouting, 'Why don't you run somewhere else' after i said good morning to her and her husband....errr, i was running somewhere else, that was the point off it ! image I can understand locals getting annoyed though if whats said above about littering was true, not acceptable on a small run like this, big 15,000 entry road races its ok to drop litter by the road as it will be collected, but not on something like this!

Also, slightly disappointed the medal and the tee shirt ( which i thought was meant to be a technical tee! ) don't mention the distance...for my first ultra I was hoping with something with 50k mentioned on...oh well ! image

• Hi well done to you guys on your first ultra, careful though it gets addictive.

I did the event myself last year and even though the temperatures were much warmer I have to say the amount of litter was far less than this year. I think the addition of the bins in the yew forest actually made people feel it was ok to drop it next to it as opposed to holding onto it for the trip down to the pub.

Heres a question for those of you who ran it. Does anyone else have very sore red lines on their skin, most likely on the legs or lower arms? Possibly accompanied by blistering now? 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised at the littering. Haven't seen any in previous years.

They need to start DQ'ing and banning the guilty parties.

There is always going to be trouble when you try and run 5 races sling the same course. Barging though is inexcusable but speaking from the other side, last year the walkers were walking 4 abreast at some points and weren't very polite even after a very pleasant "excuse-me"
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

HI Kallum, yes I do, I have red lines on my  wrist, inner legs and armpits, thought it was just chaffing? Wrist is blistering now.....

• Dark art. Go to the docs its photo sensitive chemical burns from a plant called giant hogsweed. Keep it covered and out of the sun. Turns out a few others are coming out with it too.
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Oh really, I am worried now, is it dangerous?

• The sap damages the epithelial cells of the skin and removes any uv protection it has. This causes very painful blistering on top of the area, which in my case already hurt enough. Can also give you photo- sensitive vision and the scaring that it sometimes leaves behind can take years to heal and be allowed exposure to sunlight again.
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Hi Kallum, ok, on looking I think it's only my wrist that has been in contact, the others redness looks like chaffing from clothing, i'll go to docs anyway to be on the safe side! Not good if lots of people have got this, glad i was so covered up now!

• Oh wow I was baffled as to how/what I burned the back of my hand with- small red patch yesterday, now blisters. 

What's the advice if the affected area is only small? Will it heal on its own?

• Hey All- yes I've got nasty blisters & redness on my thighs & some on my forearm. Really uncomfortable- I'll be going to see my GP this morning & will report back. If anyone else seeks medical advice (which sounds like a good idea), please post the outcome! I'm trying not to panic- yes, if you go online they mention all kinds of catastrophic possible reactions but I'm hoping that's the worst case scenario...If I end up with a few battle scars so be it...!

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    Just seen nurse at the surgery and she said there's not a lot they can do, it's only the size of a 10p coin on my wrist, very sore like a burn, but she said not a lot they can really do as I don't feel ill!
  • Thanks Dank-art- I'm thinking they'll probably say the same but would appreciate some ointment etc to relieve pain!

• Also have blistering on the top of my arm and have no idea how i got it.  Don't feel diseased.

Guess it will go away in a week or so.

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

I have put antiseptic cream on it, seems to work ok, bit concerning no one mentioned the plant, especially if it's known about and prolific in the area, could lead to blindness!

• Yes, the blindness thing was bit worrying...do hope antiseptic works for you- I seem to have had quite a bad reaction so will see GP this morning & I think the photosensitivity issue might be something to bear in mind for future ie, always wearing sunblock (do that anyway) & also remember to bring a machete on trail runs.

• I've been down the pharmacy and been given some Hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines. They said if the blisters burst to switch to an antihistamine cream and not to use the Hydrocortisone on broken skin. 

• Hi all anyone know if there are any photos to see and where to go to view them?

• Was given antihistamine tablets and told to notbuse suncream actually as adding chemicals to the mix can irritate further. Also told to leave blisters to go down on their own rather than lancing. So keeping myself covered for the next week. Docs not able to do much it seems just relieve any pain thats there.

If it is indeed that plant its not common I think we may have just been unlucky after the weather and it may have ended up overhanging a path.
  • Only photos of my blistered thighs... No I can't find any photos online. Looked on website organiser quoted but nothing yet.

GP has prescribed steroid cream, Boots didn't have it but sold me same cream in smaller tube (can sell over counter in smaller amounts)- it's called Eumovate (important ingredient is clobetasone 0.05%). GP also advised to continue with anti histamine tablets- she wasn't overly concerned as not infected but I would think it's best to get some kind of cream to avoid infection & subsequent possible scarring.