I have signed up to do this years Rat Race Scotland Coast to Coast and I have been reading a lot of threads on the event from the past couple of years but haven’t found one for this year so thought id start one, if there are some out there I have missed, please point me in the right direction.
Basically ive signed up to do the one day event with very little knowledge of the area or what to expect. I'm not bad runner or cyclist and don’t longer events before but I have a few questions people might be able to help me with…
1) How much time will I save/lose using a mountain bike with suspension over a cyclocross? – never ridden a cyclocross, but do a lot of both mountain biking and road biking.
2) What kind of gradient is the first cycle? How much up hill/hard up hill? I can see its all road, so just a long slog, but want to be trained for hills.
3) Are there water stations to fill up drinks bottles etc at transitions or do we need full days water with us all day?
4) How sign posted is the event, is there a chance of us getting lost? (a big concern of ours haha)
5) What kind of speeds do we need to maintain on the bike sections (first in particular) to make cut off times? Training at 12mph of mountain bikes but don’t think this will suffice.
Any or all of the questions answered would be a massive help!
Thanks a lot