Half Marathon Nutters Anonymous

Rightho, didn't seem right to have a marathon nutters thread and not have a half marathon nutters thread.

I know that it's only half the distance but right now i think that i must be mad. The end of march will see me do my first half marathon and i must confess i'm a tad scared. Never done anything like this before, so i'm testing myself.

Ideas, support and wisdom from both the beginner, the experienced and everyone in between is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hello fellow half nutter!

:o)

Are you still giving me that piggy back at mile 10?
  • Training started today 3 miles

nice and easy to start with but 13.1 miles is still a long way in my book!

• Hiya, I started my half training last week. It is a long way isn't it? Still I think you got to be slightly mad to do this whole running thing! I havn't found a half to enter yet, but I'm hoping to do one about March or April.

All support gratefully received!!

• Oi 'llana, I patented this idea for Marathon Nutters!

Seriously, good luck to you all. Half marathon is a really good distance to race.

Fin - the girls (I think) are aiming for the Stafford Half in March (21 or 28 I think), if that is anywhere near you? Or there is the Reading Half or Silverstone Half on 7 March.
  • Sorry Floosie, couldn't resist. It was such a good idea, didn't feel i could post my rants about half marathon training on the marathon training thread so thought this would go nicely with it.

I'll pay your royalties later ;o)

• I love the half marathon distance! It makes me feel like I've put a lot of effort in to get as far as race day, and I'm still getting faster with each race.

My one bit of advice, since it's such a long distance, is to use your watch to gauge your speed. Check your watch at each mile marker, and if you're going too fast: SLOW DOWN, you'll never get to the end in one piece otherwise. It's so easy to set off too quickly in races, especially as you'll get swept along with everyone else, and the adrenalin will be having an effect too.

Have a great race Lightfoot!
  • tee hee

great thread

not started training yet - oops - arrogantly assumed I'll be fine as trained for the 1st one in 6 weeks

will think about it though
  • Nope all those races are too far I'm afraid, I'm in South Wales, and with young children it's got to be close or I can't race. I've looked on the events search here and not seen anything yet. If you have any ideas...........gimme a shout!
  • Doing my first half in May - slight trepidation as it's quite hilly! Have found the best training I do is my Sunday run with a friend - we're so busy chatting that we've done 10 miles before we know it! I'm sure this isn't officially good training, but whatever gets you round.
    Fin - I've looked at your area as the parents-in-law live in Cardiff and certainly all the Cardiff races seem to be later in the year. The marathon (which is tempting me at the moment-I'm sure I'll get over it!)and the half are both on Oct. 3rd.
    As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me why I spend so long on this site instead of washing/ironing/running?? I actually think I'm in danger of training vicariously! As for the ironing...
  • Stafford is March 28

and some of the girls doing it are boys!
  • I'm a half nutter, too. Not sure which half.

Great North Run Sept 26. Did it 3 yrs ago but starting from scratch again following injury, illness, idleness, fatness.

First plod yesterday - a mile and walked most of it - but bought training log today (half price diary in cheapo shop) and cobbled together schedule from RW beginners' 5k and sub 2:30 half marathon training thingies.

• hi Jill

rememeber that miles in Yorks count double :-)
  • Back from a 4 mile X-country plod. Took me an hour but hey i did it. Some walking - well half and half to be honest, but i ran the last two miles and one of them was up hill. I figure that my proplem if that i go to fast to son, if i slow down i can go run for longer without stopping.

Got home an did two rounds of modified core stability excersises that feature in this months RW mag. blimey, i think they are aimed at hard core (no pun intended) runners! hence the modification!

<<Lightfoot rubs tummy!>>
  • Hi, FLR. Yorkshire miles theory could be true, as GNR flat as proverbial pancake.
  • Yeo - I know you're a boy, silly but you weren't one of the first posts on this thread were you? You're just sore 'cos I won't be in Stafford to help celebrate your birthday. anyway, you should be on the Marathon Nutters Thread. OOops, so should I.
  • yes I keep wondering whether I should post here, marathon nutters, FLM virgins or plodders

Please no=one start a 10k Nutters thread as me etchasketch is getting worn out as it is
  • Yeo - you and your etchasketch are welcome wherever you post!

<<Floosie contemplates virtues of a 10K Nutters Thread>> No it would be too cruel.

Anyway Yeo, at least we always knew you were a boy. Unlike Staggers who Het and I thought was a girl when he first posted.
  • Floose, believe it or not, when I first started posting under the name Yeoman2, which I thought was fairly specific, the only person who asked about my gender was......

flr!
  • no

it's a fib

isn't it?

I hadn't heard about your enormous weapon clearly
  • At least, contrast Lovejoy, you didn't open a thread saying you were going to enter flr in April 2004 :-O
  • I have just signed up for my first half at Hastings in March and am deeply scared. Thank goodness for this thread!

I have just come back from an hours run and am not sure that 2 months is long enough to turn this sluggish wreck of a body into an elite athlete....
  • yeah

loads

do you know how far you got in an hour?

trained for 1st half in 6 weeks, and am overwieght middle aged mother of 2
  • I have absolutely no idea! Will be hitting the running track this week to try to find out....

Although I am dreading it I am also very excited.
  • great name BTW

never run on a track so wish you well

Kid A and Thin Spouse like running on them

When you work out how far you've gone will you try the adding a mile a week thing?
  • RG in my previous plodding existamce I did a half off a max training run of 8 miles. Not ideal, I think 10 is usually recommended. Assuming you've done about 6 (+ or - depending on your pace, you've got plenty of time to make up the difference.

I agree with flr (flr faints) about trying the mile per week increment.
  • Thanks very much!

I don't really have much of a plan to be honest, I'm just going to run and run each week and hope for the best. Not especially clever perhaps but that's the best I can do. Well maybe I'll do some research and follow some kind of plan but until then I'll just wing it!

Are you doing a half this year?
  • Yeah, several of us are getting together for Stafford on March 28

re your plan, I'm well known for disliking set schedules, but follow the pattern of 1 long weekly run and others during the week to complement that.

If ou look at the training part of the site there are plenty of schedules to look at

I'm actually doing longer than 1/2 mara distance cos I'm doing FLM, but if you are comfortable at 10 miles, the occasion, adreneline, crowds, other runners etc will get you ome on the day
  • Thanks for the advice, I will do a long run each week. Is the idea to increase the long run by a mile each time?

Have you done the flm before? Sounds like you are a bit of a pro!