Great Welsh Marathon

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Absolutely!

How did you find running 10K? Was it a race or were you just on your own?

As long as you do the training and stay fit then there's no reason why you can't run the half - go for it I say! 

• As Malcs says it sounds doable but you need to follow a structured training plan, training for the HM isn't too much of a change to your training but you will need to gradually increase your weekly long run to around the 20k mark, your longest midweek run will build up to about 10k which is what you are capable of running now. The structure of the plan will be the same just longer distances, the key is just building up gradually.

I started with a plan from Paula Radcliffe's book how to run but there are loads of plans available in books and on the net.

With regards getting bored running on your own, you could try your local Parkrun on a Saturday to meet some fellow runners or you could check out your local running club who probably run a beginners group. Also, mixing up your routes will break the monotony
  • This is a very friendly ,welcoming Marathon ( Hey Malcs how's it going ?) the good points are its flat , water stations are good, nice place , nice location , you get a trophy and a medal !!! I really liked it (came over from Belfast), I ran with a friend who pulled out after mile 8, if I was a 1st timer I don't think I would run this marathon for reasons of little crowd support and as its a figure of 8 course you do 2 laps of course and leave / pass the finish line 5 times which mentally is very tough , as Malc says the weather is interesting , last year the inland run would have melted you but on the return out the coastal path it would have froze the balls off you (excuse me), I would still recommend a small handheld water bottle just because I'm a freak, all you guys who are hardy Marathon runners and looking a PB this is the place for you and you will be met by a fine bunch of Welsh Distance runners , good luck imageimage

• great advise Rob,

I am really looking forward to this thanks martin for info, I will be starting training after 10k race on boxing day,

it will be my 3rd marathon in 3years so hoping that 3 is my magic number

• t Rex .... snowdon was my 1st marathon this year lol ... looking at this as my 2nd ... well i should get a PB!!

• Yep, just booked this one too for a first full. 

Had a 1.35 half mara last weekend and have Elan Valley 20 miler coming up in march so really looking forward to this one. First one but hoping for around 3.45. Sound reasonable?

• Chris, I think 3:45 is definitely achievable based on your HM time. I've not used it before but I know that the Macmillan race calculator will help you work out your target time.

I'm in a similar situation to you, this will be my first full marathon and my PB for a half is 1:33 so I am aiming for sub 3:45.
  • yeah chris you will do that no sweat especially if you did half in 95mins image but as a first one its all about getting over that line, such an amazing experience image

how is your training going?

• Training going fine so far ta. 20 mile long run in Jan was 2hr 48min but the Elan Valley 20 mile race is very hilly so that won't be too quick. It may be my last long run before the Great Welsh though. You running it too?
  • seems like you are running 20milers wid relative ease you should smash your target, yeah I am running The Great Welsh aswel its my third and all I want is to be injury free as what ive found over last 2 years is get carried away my body gets too fit for my legs so I have taken up swimming I do one night in the pool, its great for the heart and breathing and gentle on joints image last marathon I had 6 weeks out of training due to injury #SadTimes

how long have you been running for? done many other races?

• Been 'jogging' for years but only serious running for about 18 months. I try and book one race a month to keep motivated for training. Not many races really I suppose. Ranging from 10k to half maras. Had some good results though. Can't get into swimming (broken collar bone don't help) but do a bit of strength training along with plenty of running. And you?
  • wowza howd you break coller bone? I am 29 how old are you?

been running since school at the gym etc but only seriously in the 12months for a decade I drank my health away but its now coming back,

training is going very well this time I joined a running club and the coaches advise is great to have, I also try get one race in a month even if its a parkrun just gotta make sure to rest up properly image

• I'm 34.

Broke collar bone in a car crash boxing day 2007, its in 3 pieces apparently which didnt fuse back together. Its ok for running but weights or swimming (with the overarm action) I feel. 

Not done any Parkruns. My nearest would probably be Shrewsbury which would be an hour there and an hour back! bit much for 5k!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

This will be mara #98 for me, and my third time with this one, but I've turned into a bit of a plodder and will be pleased with sub-4.  Especially as it will be coming off the back of a 50-miler on 4 April.

• Ugh. 50 miler. my feet would be nubs

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'm also doing Rhayader 20.  A well placed 20-miler for a spring marathon.  My best time there was 2:58 when at the same period I was doing about 3:50 for a marathon.

Hard to predict a time for your first marathon unless you can really force yourself to keep up an even pace, but a 1:35 half would equate, with experience, eventually, to a marathon time of about 3:30 - 3:35.

• I'd be happy with that but realistically just looking to finish. See you in Rhayader!

• True chris i agree with u about 5k parkrun, how are u planning on running ur fiest mara, keeping to 8-9 m/m or just seeing how u feel on the day and running with freedom?
  • Pretty much just see how I feel I suppose, not making any game plans or strategies as don't want to overthink anything.
  • Have entered the race and this will be my first marathon! Training going well so far and have completed a half marathon distance training run in 1:41 although hoping to better that in the Llanelli half in a couple of weeks time. I am using the coastal path that the race is on for my long runs as it is pretty much on my doorstep and also gives me some familiarity of the route. First and foremost I'm looking to complete the race and if I get a sub 4 hour I will be over the moon.

• There'll be loads of first timers by sounds of it!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Ideal first marathon.  Quite a festival type atmosphere and an interesting course with lots of doubling back so you can assess how you're doing relative to others and you always have people around you.  Also very flat although the small rise in the park just before the finish can feel like a mountain.

• It sounds good, the only thing I am slightly nervous of is the two lap format, I think it will be difficult to finish one lap and know you've got to do it all over again. Has anyone got experience of this route and did you find this difficult?
  • I haven't done the route but have no problems really with laps
  • Does anyone on here follow @UKRunChat on twitter or facebook or use the #ukrunchat hash tag? Have asked about great welsh marathon a couple of times on there (twitter) with no replies. I'm @mattockswinga if anyone else is on there
  • Thanks Chris, I've got no problem with laps either but I've never done a 13 mile lap, I just think that the end of the first lap will be tough because its nots like its a series of small laps that you can countdown, you'll know that you have to do the whole thing again.

I guess the excitement of the day and the fact that the route will be all new to me will keep me going and it won't seem as monotonous as if I was running the same 13 mile route that I run regularly.