Tell me it gets easier!

Comments

• 2 down, 25 to go!

Did my 2nd run this morning, it was quite good and I've found a route that's quieter too.  I'll need to remember to take more tissues with me next time though because apparently my nose likes to join in the running too.  Still can't get into a steady pace but I'm hoping that the longer runs to come will give me more time to do that.  It's just all the bumpy pavements and kerbs and tree roots etc. that knock me off my (very slow) stride.  

Plus I think every flying insect within a 5 mile radius decided to fly into my mouth but apart from that it was great!  One more then I'm done with week one, can't wait!

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Fantastic well done - great news about a quieter route as it definitely helps.  Ahhh never mind about the bugs more protein on the run lol  Keep on going you are doing fab x

• Oh I really hate rest days.  Didn't know what to do with myself this morning!  I suppose they are a necessity though.  I'm going to try running just a little bit faster tomorrow and see if that helps me run at a more steady pace.  I find it really awkward running as slow as I possibly can, so maybe I've been taking that advice a bit too literally!  Will try it out tomorrow and see how it goes.

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

rest is important Fraggle just do vitual running instead by reading some articles and running magazines lol  Good luck with your faster pace and let us know how you get on.

• 3 down, 24 to go

and week 1 completed!

Found the first few runs a little bit harder today, not sure why, but the last two were easier as usual.  I think it's because I know I'm near the end.  Had the beginnings of a stitch too but might have been down to eating beforehand.  I am scared about having to run more next time, but I suppose I can always repeat weeks if I need to, the podcasts aren't going anywhere.  I'm still looking forward to seeing how I do though!

• Well done Fraggle! Yes you can always repeat weeks if necessary however you will be surprised how much a positive mental outlook will help you to complete the longer stints. Your brain just seems to be able to block out the discomfort and you just get there. I think it's based around helping you get that sense of achievement!

Keep going your doing great!
  • Fraggle, believe it or not, those of us who've been running for years have bad days too. Goes with the territory. It's not because your'e unfit or doing it wrong; just that you had a bad day. You'll have lots of good ones, too. Well done so far.

• Thanks guys, it really is very encouraging reading everyone's advice and tips.  I think now I've made my couch to 5k "public" I'll be much more motivated not to drop out or quit.  That is not an option!  I just keep imagining the day when I can run 5k outside without stopping.  It really helps to know others in the same position have managed it.

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done Fraggle and on the couch to 5k I always said that a bad run was better than no run at all. Unfortunately, I had to sit the programme out for four weeks and then repeat a couple of weeks but no hassle. 

I struggled in week 8 to be honest but I went a different route switch off ipod fitness telling me how far I had ran and put some cheesy pop tunes on my ipod.  I use mapmyrun kindly suggest by someone on here to write out a course and just went out and did it!! I was suppose to run for 28 minutes but went out for 30 minutes. 

Don't worry if you feel you have a bad run just relax and enjoy it x and its better than sitting on the couch x

• Well I've gone and entered a 10k!  It's not till the spring so loads of time to train for it. I was thinking that once (if?!) I finish the couch to 5k in mid October I could be up to about 7k by the end of the year.  I'd also like to do some parkruns too.  Oh, the possibilities!  I might be getting ahead of myself but I can't wait to become a proper runner!

• NickyMmmNickyMmm ✭✭✭

Great news Fraggle!  I've been following your thread and loving your enthusiasm.  I started a c25k prog about the same time as you and did my 5th run today.  I've tried to do this before and suffered every possible injury/setback etc so I'm trying very hard to keep on track this time.

Like other newbs, I am horribly unfit, overweight, far too fond of booze and the occasional fag....but I've been trying to change my lifestyle for some time, and this time starting to 'run' was much easier than before!  I've got good shoes, proper sports bra scaffolding and a bucket load of energy.  I plod along to 'boppy' songs on my ipod and am really, really chuffed that I've made it even into week 2!!!  

Really hoping that I can keep going (I have broken both ankles quite badly in the past and think I started too hard, too fast last time) so I'm taking it steady and following lots of great advice I've found on here.

Looking forward to getting out again on Sunday!!

• Thanks NickyMmm, and good luck for your couch to 5k too!  It's always good to have some else at the same stage to motivate/be motivated by.  I'm due out on Sunday too for my first run of week 2, so you can let me know how bad each new week really is before I get to it!

I know what you mean about the energy - I feel like I'm just itching to get running all of the time and having to be strict about the rest days!  Hope you pop in with updates on your progress too image

• Fraggle get ahead of yourself with planning runs etc as that would keep you motivated but don't get ahead of yourself by trying to do more running than your plan tells you, you will probably end up injured and set back. Keep it going the way you are and you will do great. Biggest mistake New runners make is trying to do to much to quick. 

• Thanks bigeater, I'm definitely going to stick to the schedule with the couch to 5k no matter how impatient I get.  I ended up with sore knees last year and it really isn't worth it.  Plus I feel better when I can complete a run comfortably, it motivates me to keep going rather than ended up exhausted and dying after each one!  Makes me feel fitter than I am!image

I think my goals are: 

Complete couch to 5k by mid-October

Have done a parkrun by the end of the year

Train for 10k in Jan - spring

Hopefully I can get all of these ticked off!

• NickyMmmNickyMmm ✭✭✭

Well said biegater, I'm going at it slow and steady and that's keeping motivated.  I know I was trying to run to fast to start with, so I have slowed right down and I'm concentrating on moving/breathing/not dying rather than actually RUNNING!  That will come later I hope.

Right then Fraggle...we should both be hitting 5k around mid October, let's keep each other motivated and follow progress!  Are you following a particular program?  Mine is an ipod one, I can listen to my boppy tunes and it beeps at me, tells me when to run etc.  Sunday is week 2, day 3 and apparently it thinks I can run 1.5 minutes, walk 2 minutes...6 times.  The mere thought is scary, but I'll give it a go!!!

• I'm following the nhs one - the downside is you have to listen to their music, but you get a nice person telling you when to walk and run, and giving you lots of encouragement!  She told me at the start that I could do this, so I thought I must be able to, she wouldn't lie to me!

Yeah, let's definitely keep each other going, feel free to shout at me if I start to slack off!  imageimage

• Well done to the both of you. I started out like you guys and have completed many 5k,10k' s half marathons,a full marathon and currently training for my second marathon. You will be hooked!!

• Wow, I'd love to eventually be able to run even a half marathon!  Did you do a couch to 5k or similar?  This is why I love this forum, it has real life examples of what can be achieved even starting from nothing.  I think I'm hooked already!

• Didn't follow anything in particular, just started walk/run until it became run! Then it became a 5k with never again then a 10k with never again and so on!! Then it becomes trying for a new pb and just trying to better yourself. That's the great thing about running nobody cares how fast/slow you go, it's only yourself you're trying to beat. 

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Keep it up Fraggle and Nickymmm - it's a great programme x and fantastic news about entering 10k that is a great idea. 

First run for me after graduation of couch to 5k - completed a steady 32 minutes and now trying to get to 5k is the next goal - as didn't manage to complete it in 30 minutes. 

Keep me posted guys as I'm interested in how you get on x

• Well done KattC, 32 minutes is amazing!  I'll be in the same position when I finish, not quite at 5k but I'll still be glad to be able to run for half an hour.  At least now you've done that time several times now you know you can really do it and it isn't just a one off.  Let us know how your 5k goes too x

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

I was thinking that when I started this morning - I had those three were not a fluke!!  I felt really tired at 21 minutes but just keep going.  What 10k have you entered it?  Hopefully I do a 5k soonish image  just planned a route ekkkkk

• You'll be fine, just pretend it's 4k!  I'm running (hopefully) in a Bupa women's 10k in Glasgow in May.  So lots of time to prepare, but now I've declared it to the world there's no pulling out!  

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Fraggle - you a weegie or just going to Glasgow for the 10k? Best of luck ive been there and my wife and friends all done that 10k. My first was east kilbride. Enjoy the build up and loving the progress reports. Some great folk on this forum with loads of advice. I remember booktrunks first post!! And shes an ultra godess now! By november look for a parkrun im doing my first one tomorrow with my daughter in strathclyde park and there is one in falkirk and glasgow too. Just keep going image
  • I'm a weegie living down south, but still get back up fairly often!  Was thinking of doing a parkrun before xmas, might try the strathclyde park one so if you're still at it I might be seeing you there at some point!  Enjoy your parkrun tomorrow, is it your first one or just your first one with your daughter?  Hope you both enjoy it image

PS You're totally right about all the great advice going round on this forum, I'm loving it!  It gives me grand dreams in my head of running a marathon one day....

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Good luck Shedboy with your first park ride.  Was up in Scotland the other week for a holiday - love the place and I go every year to watch the dolphins - my dream is to one day do the Loch Ness Marathon! 

Fantastic Fraggle I need to sort out some more races - I was thinking about doing the Adnams 10k in November but not sure I will be up to that by then.  Parkruns start here end of September so will do that hopefully. 

Shedboy is right - the forum is great for advice and inspiration.   Will treat the run like a 4k lol I've mapped out the route so hopefully I will tackle it tomorrow. 

Happy running everyone

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Thanks fraggle and katc yup first parkrun now son and daughter coming!! image

Good luck with weekend runs and see you both a loch ness 2015 image
  • glad to see your still going strong image. You'll end up with a new challenge soon though as we get to autumn and winter,.. (unless you've already done this,..) and thats running in the rain image. i was a "fair weather" runner for ages (started late spring). My first 10km race was also my first running in the rain :P (light rain though). When the time comes, embrace it! once you're wet you're not getting any wetter image.

I think 10km in the springs a great goal to set for yourself! you'll do just fine. 

• Hi Fraggle.

I only took up running about 8 weeks ago and at first I thought I was going to die but like you I've not only found it easier I now also enjoy it!!

I'm not the fastest by far but I'm lucky as I've met some lovely like minded ladies and we are running together 3-4 times a week. Next week 3 of us are running Color me Rad in Bristol image Nervous but looking forward to it.

• Hi BisleySnail

Glad to hear you've found it ok too, good to know you're enjoying it.  Color me Rad - is that the thing where you end up covered in paint?  Or am I thinking of something else?  Hope you have fun anyway and happy running!