Tell me it gets easier!

Comments

• Another fellow weegie here!

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Haha brilliant Glasgow smiles better !! We do indeed get everywhere 

did park run with daughter she got 1st in age class and 10th woman overall...despite going out like a Bat out of hell and at the half way point we were both in top 10 overall she was lead female at that stage ... She's only 12!!.... She walked most of the second part but still did so well soo proud of her and a good lesson in pacing.  her first ever non treadmill run.  the power of youth eh image

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Fantastic news Shedboy well done your daughter did amazing.  Are you going every week now.  Run today to see if I can get to the hallow ground of 5k! in snail pace image

• 4 down, 23 to go!

Did my first week 2 run this morning, found it mostly ok until the very last run where I felt like I was basically running on the spot.  I kept waiting for Laura (the podcast woman) to tell me to walk again and I honestly thought she had forgotten about me.  But I got there in the end.  Doesn't help that I live at the top of a hill in all directions, so my 5 min warm up walk is downhill then it's running back up the rest of the way!  I might try to find a flatter park before the runs get too much longer otherwise I worry that my wee legs will not be able to get me back home again.  I'm still proud that I have done it though, and if I've done it once, I can do it again!

Well done Shedboy on your parkrun, and congrats to your daughter for her amazing result!  She must be chuffed to bits.  

KattC, let us know how you get on with your 5k today, remember to just keep going!

Happy running everyone image

• NickyMmmNickyMmm ✭✭✭

Wooohooooo! What a great bunch of stories, you guys are really inspiring me to keep going.  Just done week 2, day 3....never believed it was even possible, but yes! I did it!  Really chuffed with myself and sat here all sweaty and proud!  I know it's a tiny little thing, but to me it's a big achievement. 

My Achilles' tendon is sore today, nothing much, but a little niggle so I have done extra stretches, consulted the injury section and will follow advice! Hopefully it won't cause any problem. Is this to do with my running style?  

Great to see how everyone else is getting on!!  Keep up the good work! image

• Well done NickyMmm, that's great!  You're almost a quarter of the way through now!  Hope your injury heals up quickly, my knees were a bit sore today but hopefully it won't last.  It's a great feeling at the end knowing you've done it, isn't it?!  I don't know about you but I am very scared about weeks three and four!  image

• NickyMmmNickyMmm ✭✭✭

Thanks fraggle, I feel great, wasn't sure I could do it today....everything felt grumpy when I got up! so YAY us!!! i'm dreading week 3, I start on Tuesday.  If you don't hear form me, presume it was bad!  Haha!!

my support team (demented labrador and less demented boyfriend) came with me today, was a great feeling to show him how far I have come in 2 weeks.  First time I went out I was half dead after about 40 seconds! And I only did it 3 times with about 3 mins between each go! And today I ran a total of 9 mins with fast walk breaks!

image Feeling good!!!

• Hi Fraggle.. Yes I am going to end up covered in paint!! I'm hoping it comes off easily as I have my in-laws wedding anniversary lunch to go to afterwards.. Could be a bitimage  

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Afternoon - I decided not to try and do the 5k today as don't laugh but I have the same sore  Achilles tendon problem as Nicky so going to rest and do it tomorrow - bit of ice on it today. 

Well done guys for your runs today - you all sound like you are having a fab time.  Don't be scared of any weeks - just relax and enjoy each stage.  Saying that I really struggled with week 8 but switched off my ipod that kept telling me how far I was going and just ran.

Enjoy your day guys you are doing fab xxx

• Hi, everyone can I say how important it is to have correct trainers, your niggling injuries could be down to the wrong trainer. The best money you will spend is on your trainers, get yourself along to a run4it, sweatshop, Achilles heal or similar. Don't go to an ordinary sports shop like sports direct, they just don't have the knowledge and you'll end up with a pair of karrimors!

• Cheers bigeater (almost wrote cheers bigears there image) I didn't pay a lot for mine but they are proper running shoes and very comfy although I didn't get any gait analysis or anything.  I was too scared to do that!

Meant to say earlier that I found my pacing a lot easier today - nothing that I was doing deliberately but I found that I had forgotten all about the issues until after my run so it must have been better!  Hopefully it was the slightly longer run that allowed me to get into a more steady rhythm.  

• NickyMmmNickyMmm ✭✭✭

Hope yours clears soon Katt, it's a sore little niggle but the ice definitely helped! And yes bigeater, I did get proper shoes with gait analysis etc....and they are great! I have a couple of friends who run a lot and they banged on at me as to how important the right shoes are! Excellent advice image

hopefully my achilles thing is just a teeny beginners twinge and won't impede my progress!

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Thanks NickyMmm and bigeater - I shouldn't say this really but I have a couple of pairs of  running shoes brought especially from sweatshop and had my gait measured too!!  My body tends to favour Nike Lunars/structured so definitely got the right trainers image  I love my local sweatshop and have a very good relationship with them I have to say lol  and

I think my problem is I have been doing a lot of hiking over the past couple of days and have a long standing back problem which leads to tight hips/calves but I do pilates three times a week to counter balance it and have a sport massage.

But you are so right bigeater - shoes and fitting are the most important thing ever. Never ever buy cheap ill fitting shoes whatever the activity.   

I think you are right NickyMmm - I think my niggles are my body saying steady on girl your 46 - what do you think you are up too lol image

Well done Fraggle on your run xx

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Wohooooo just done my first 5k run in a snail blistering pace of 38 minutes, the snails came out to celebrateimage

I cannot pretend it was easy as my left shin and Achilles were screaming at me to stop!!!  I'm so excited and cannot believe I did it, I just had to see if I could do it and be ready for the pretty muddy in two weeks time. 

Will be sticking to the 10% rule now and back to a 33 minute run instead.  Although, I have to say I love running the rain and cool, I'm not one of these fair weather runners as I cannot seem to run when its hot and sunny.

How did you guys get on today?  My fellow snailettes image  we are doing grand.

• That's fantastic news KattC!  Well done!  Hope you are feeling very proud of yourself.  Good idea to take it steady from now on, especially with niggling injuries.  You'll still be running that marathon in no time! image

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

lol Thanks Fraggle xxxx I'm going to do some more strengthening exercises.   I brought a really good Yoga for Runners book so going to follow that.  Not sure about a marathon lol little by little.  Muddy Race first, park run and then who knows.  image  Let me know how you all get on with your next run xxx

Happy bank holiday x

• NickyMmmNickyMmm ✭✭✭

Fab news Katt YAY you!!!!

I really hope I can get to the stage where I can do a 5K.  How are your shin and achilles feeling now?  Hope you're not too ouchy!

Absolutely persisting it here in the Cotswolds, quite glad I'm not out plodding in this today...catching up on work instead BOOOOO!

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Ahhh Nicky you certainly will xx if I can do it anyone can.  Shin and Achilles much better now thank you - going to do some heel drops and other exercises.  I am so slow but what the heck at least I am getting there.  Need to work on speed.

I managed to get out before it got heavy - a steady light rain shower rather than what we have now got in Suffolk here - boohoo for work!!

Let me know how your next run goes girlies xx xx much love kat snail x

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Hello all - well done evryone on your runs absolutely amazing. 

My advice for today is at this stage we need to take more rest days than we think we need especially when shin and achilles start to get a bit sore.  Its them telling you they are getting stronger but you dont want to push it.  Does everyone stretch calves - loads!!!!?? and the achilees.  some good strengthening work but thats for later i reckon.  Also if you are getting upto 5k distance (time does NOT matter) a foam roller is a really good idea to ease out your sore and tired muscles. 

Im no expert but i really pushed too hard at beginning.

All these stories are ace and this thread is an inspiration - really amazing

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Hi Shedboy

Thanks for the advice, I'm not going to run until Thursday now and will do my usual  pilates class on Wednesday.  I've also recently brought yoga for runners book which is good.

I don't think I stretch my calves enough to be honest and will be doing it on non run days and also foam rolling too - I usually only foam roll and stretch when I have run which isn't nearly enough image smacks wrist.

Thanks for the advice shedboy always appreciated and wohooo still cannot believe I am a runner!!! image   Feel so much more confident when I go out for a run.

• 5 down, 22 to go!

Although it doesn't feel like it's getting any easier yet!  It's the opposite!  I felt like the 90 second runs were getting longer and longer each time and the walking sections shorter and shorter.  I find that I really do need the break at the end of each run to get my breath back.  The last run was a killer, uphill and against the wind with the sun in my eyes.  But I did it!  I suppose that is the main thing after all, no matter how hard it is.

Still dreading having to run for 3 whole minutes next week thoughimage

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Fraggle - well done absolutely brilliant! You have good and not so good days, but remember the not so good days are still days that are improving you! You do need the breaks and enjoy taking them image One question are you maybe running a little fast?  At this stage slower the better as you are building your bodies capability and experience of running - call it the base layer.  You are doing amazing though! My wife said something to me about running - you always over analyse it...she was right.  dont dread next week just keep congratulating yourself on how far you have come - by run 10,20 and 27 look back at this stage - seriously you are going to amaze yourself!

KattC - yoga is a great idea - i tried it a few times and did like the ratio of 30 women and me in a class image - dont worry i was there with Mrs Shedboy.  Must go back.  Yup its great being a runner isnt it - glad to hear confidence is high too.  Foam roller every night if you can its worth it especially calves (helps keep the shin splints at bay)..and dont worry I often forget the foam roller and stretching - Im just very good at saying what should be done and not what I actually do image

Happy running!

• I don't think I am running too fast, there are times when I don't feel like I could go any slower!  I really don't know if my fitness is improving - it better hurry up because the running sections are about to increase quite a bit over the next couple of weeks.

I did have some pain in my knees today, at the front just below the kneecaps.  Actually they were a bit sore after the last run too and still now when I walk.  Hope it's just some "getting used to it" pain and not anything more.  It's not that sore, just there really.  I don't think it is an injury per se because it's in both knees; probably just some teething aches and pains.  Well I hope so anyway! image  Anyone else experienced this?

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done Fraggle that is great news.  Thanks Shedboy and I love pilates but now going to do yoga and foam roll and stretch every day - give me a shove if I don't.

I had some awful runs on the programme but never gave up just thought ahhh well another one under my belt and a run is better than no run at all.  Your fitness is definitely improving and just slow the pace down and relax. 

I had terrible problems with my left shin so I brought some skins - occasionally I still suffer now.  I've got the right shoes but I think its down to the body getting use to it but try and see if you can run on some grass rather than just tarmac if you can.

After a couple of weeks on the programme, I struggled with the walking bit - I had just got into the run and then had to walk and my muscles started to cramp.  I did struggle on the week that we had to run 25 minutes but found out that if I planned my route and just went out and run the route with my music I was fine.  That was something that my brain didn't like my ipod fitness saying you have run 15 minutes or you are half way there.  Everyone is different and don't beat yourself up.  You are doing fab and you can do it xxx 

• I've gone back to treadmill running today. My achilles is painful and although I CAN run through it, I think I probably shouldn't. The treadmill is bouncy and there's just a slight niggle and no pain, but I find it much more difficult than running outside now. I can now run a full half marathon but tbh, a 30 minutes run on the treadmill is still no easier. Urgh! perhaps just having a bad week.

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Em-68 hope it gets better soon.  I'm not a fan of the treadmill seems to hurt my back I much prefer running outside and going to the gym for other stuff xxx

Keep us posted how you are getting on Em x

• I personally don't think it gets easier per say but you get better at ignoring the negative chatter in your head that tells you to stop, to walk, to not go out the door.  I always find the first 3k hard. You get fitter but I dont think it gets easier image

Fraggle do you have a heart rate monitor?  I train by HR and time rather than miles - when I first started running it was everything I could do to keep the damn thing under 155bpm I felt like if I slowed down anymore I would be walking!  But I stuck with it and it works image 

• Hi SuckitupButterCup, I don't have a heart rate monitor, would probably not have a clue how to use it!  I'm hoping that with time I'll start to get fitter and the longer runs will seem relatively easier.  I just keep telling myself that so many other people have managed it that it must be doable.  Last run of week two tomorrow then the big three minutes!  image