Tell me it gets easier!

Comments

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

image  Not sure I would like a HR monitor I might scare myself at this point image lol  Its definitely doable Fraggle xxx I am just slightly ahead of you in the game remember image  take it slowly slowly for the three and think positive thoughts xxx

• NickyMmmNickyMmm ✭✭✭

Hey all, you'll be surprised/delighted/astonished (delete as applicable) to hear that I completed week 3/day 1 of c25k!!!   Yay me!!!

couldn't do a run yesterday as planned because of work/life stuff, but I did it today.  It wasn't easy I admit, I felt like it was a big jump in time, but I did (as per the program I follow) 1.5 mins run then walk, 2.5 mins run then walk twice, then 1.5 run and then walk. I followed the warm up brisk walk warm up and cool down too and lots of stretching before and after.

Really didn't feel like it, my back hurt and my knees were a little grumpy too, but I took it steady and I did the lot! Really chuffed!!! 

I had to run (ok, plod noisily) past a few people having picnics today and I was all kinds of "aaaaaaargh they will laugh and point" at the bouncy fat person. But...you know what...no one took the blindest bit of notice of me. They were more interested in my ridiculous dog overtaking me to fling herself into the lake yet again! 

So,another gold star for the 'tell me it gets easier' thread people! Who is running tomorrow? What are your goals?? Keep up the good work and the inspiration team!

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done NickyMmm that is fab and hope your knees are less grumpy today.  Sounds like a nice running route with a lake.   Another gold star for us people xxx yeppeeee image

When I started on the programme I was so self conscious on the first week of runs, use to wear sunglasses and not make any eye contract, music up loud and then I realised that no-body is looking at you or takes any notice lol   Now I get a hello/smile/nod from runners and a lovely guy on a bike last week said well done you and gave me the thumbs up.  Still feel a complete running numpty but I am past caring now lol image  At least I am off the couch lol

I started the NHS Couch programme to aid stress and running definitely helps and gives you time to think and in a strange way relaxes you.  Its definitely working so I will continue with it.

I'm going to run tomorrow morning probably a 30 to 33 minute run - nice and slow and steady xxx Went to pilates last night to stretch the old muscles I've got the cancer research pretty muddy next Sunday eekekekek just seen the obstacles lol image  so a few more gentle runs to get myself ready for that.

Fabariooo everyone and will report back on progress tomorrow lol image  exciting stuff and good luck runners image xxx

• 6 down, 21 to go!

and week 2 completed!

Good news to report - I actually found today's run pretty easy!  It wasn't in the least bit as hard as the last time even though my knees hurt.  I think I was so busy concentrating on them that I forgot all about being out of breath.  Either that or I was going slower because of them.  But I found that each running section seemed a lot shorter and I wasn't as tired after each one.  I'm so pleased!  Onwards and upwards now....

And well done NickyMmm, that's fantastic!  Give yourself a big pat on the back!  

Hope your run goes well too KattC x

• NickyMmmNickyMmm ✭✭✭

Woooo go fraggle! It does feel easier some days, no idea why...can any of you more experienced runners enlighten us?

knees a bit sore today but I'm hoping it'll be all systems go tomorrow...I have made any extra cheesy bad mix for my ipad! You can't beat a bit of boppy musak to plod to...I find it really helps (well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).

how is everyone doing? apparently it's getting warm again this weekend, that'll test me! I'm used to drizzle so far!!! image

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Fraggle - arent these runs amazing! Well done ... Feels good when it suddenly feels a bit easier...i am pretty sure thats you getting fitter. Yeah its slow youve got aches but you certainly have determination too. Are you surprising yourself?

So how sore are your knees is it during run and after and how long for? Where are you sore? Probably all normal god i feel every part of my legs after a lot of runs!

I hope you say to yourself "i did brilliant today well done" after every run .. Sounds crass but you need to be proud of this as each run is one step for you and many more steps than most people ever take.

Kattc - enjoy your run tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done Guys xxx you are doing fab - we should be really proud of ourselves!!

I went out for a 25 minute to see if I could get a little faster, try and improve my running style and relax into it but not keen on head winds lol.    I really felt I was running faster lol but when I got home my garmin said oh kat you have completed 2.05 miles in 25 minutes and your average pace was 12.37 per mile.  First mile completed in 12.18 and second mile in 12.30.  So perhaps not lol

Although I felt stronger than every before on this run- even had a little sprint at the very end.  However, Achilles still a little bit sore so am icing it today, foam rolled, stretched and hey I feel fab - just being cautious as I have the muddy run next Sunday!!! 

I was trying to run in a better style rather than my Suffolk snail pace shuffle image and learn slightly forward, longer strides and relaxing more - not sure It worked but I felt slightly more relaxed. Shedboy you are right you tend to think ahhh that bit of my leg now starts to hurt.  Its always on my left hand side, think after the muddy run I might go and see a physio as I am pretty sure its linked to my back lol but loved it. 

Is everyone else breathing in and out of their mouth, I cannot seem to do the nose and mouth breaths just looking like a goldfish at the moment.  

Another run under my belt/running top image cheesy tunes all the way!  My taste in music is really bad when I am running I have decided. 

So who's next on this running adventure - thanks for all your support guys.  I was thinking about you all as I stepped out early this morning.  As Shedboy says in his running wisdom that each run/steps is more than most people take and better than sitting on that boring couch image xxx

• Hey, just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread - I'm a new "runner" and came on this site for a little advice, saw this thread and am now feeling much more inspired! image

I used to be active but have basically lived on the sofa for the past 3 years, and I decided recently that I'd had enough. I completely changed my diet a couple of months back and feel miles better, and then I've spent the past couple of weeks doing weights in the living room and the 30 Day Shred (urgh!), and this morning finally plucked up the courage to go outside for a run.

And... it was hard! For my age, it was terrible. And I was hugely self-conscious. But, it was a start! I didn't do any kind of programme, I just decided I'd go round the block and see how I found it, and measured it. I covered only 1.2 miles, and basically did around 3 or 4 minutes running followed by 3 minutes walking, repeated a couple of times. The app said my best pace was 8:45 min/mil, but when I was running this averaged around 10. But I've no idea what this means really, I don't have a clue that I should be aiming for!

Reading this I think maybe I should try the c25k programme, what do you think? How do you measure when you should stop/start - by a watch or do you use a phone?

My goal is first of all to do the local Parkrun without completely embarrassing myself, then to build up to a 10k for next May. I'd like to think ideally I'd also be able to build up then to a half like the great north run, but I'm not sure how realistic this is at the moment.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking, just wanted to say well done, and hopefully it'll get easier for all of us! image

• Hey millie moo - good for you!  I would certainly recommend the Park runs, they're great fun and really friendly.  I had a drastic change of lifestyle a year ago, I went on to lose a significant amount of weight through diet and gym exercise but caught the running bug just before Easter this year, since then I've been doing regular Park runs, joined my local running club and just completed my first half marathon last Sunday (Severn Bridge).  I felt self conscious running outside at first but don't anymore, and I 'doff my cap' to all those out there who are trying to do something positive with their lives - so well done to you image

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well Millie Moo and hijack away - I think the thread has turned into seeing how we are all getting on type thread lol Fantastic and sound like you are doing great. your pace is fab I am impressed can you give me some of your speed please image

When I started the Couch I used a watch but there is a downloadable app that most people use so I would download that.  It is available from the NHS Couch to 5k website

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

welcome aboard x

RicSure love the name and well done xxx Park Runs start where I live end of September so I cannot wait xx Good luck with the Severn Bridge marathon and let us know how you get on.  Terrible self conscious when I first started and didn't need to be!  Now snail pace along without a care in the world apart from watching out for dogs that look like they eat runners for tea image

Well done everyone xxx doff hats all round x

• NickyMmmNickyMmm ✭✭✭

Hey millie moo, great to hear we have another newbie on board! I'm using an iphone app that I can play my own music behind, I tried the NHS one but I need boppy songs to help me!  The plan is pretty much the same tho.

I did week 3, day 2 this morning and I feel great! Couldn't seem to find my rhythm to start with and ended up going too fast for the first run.  Found the second one really horrible and my knees hurt, but changed to flatter ground and runs 3 and 4 went really well!  Face burning and puffing like a train, but I did it!  Home to stretch and ice my knees (the pain has gone again thankfully!) and I'm sat here with a big 'yay me' smile!

Really intrigued to see how much everyone enjoys park runs, maybe that should be my first aim, I'd love to give it a try when I can make the grade.  There are 2 relatively near to me.

Lots on this weekend as the better half is sailing tomorrow so I'm busy rigging the boat.  Hope to be able to run again Sunday.  What has everyone got planned for the weekend?

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Have fun with the sailing and the weather is good NickyMmm - and well done on your run glad you knees are okay.  I'm icing my ankle lol   Going for my next run on Sunday too.

Nothing much planned this weekend, just going to relax and have to do a bit of work. x

Have fun guys x

• Aww thanks all, so nice to have a friendly welcome!

My ankles and backs of my calves are a little sore today :S But good sore!

RicSure - first half marathon, that's amazing, well done. I'd love to eventually join a running club; once I can actually keep up with people that is (and they'd let me in image )

KattC - thanks for the link, I've downloaded the app. I've also been given one of those fancy Garmin watches by someone who didn't want it anymore - bit pointless at the moment as not a lot to measure, but hopefully one day it'll come in handy!

NickyMmm - hope your knees are OK. My next run is tomorrow too. Looking at the app I can do around 3 or 4 minutes, so I might start at week 2. I'll see how brave I feel tomorrow! image

• 7 down, 20 to go!

Today was the dreaded 3 minutes runs - and it was fine!  On the last run I got a bit out of breath but I had a hell of a hill in the middle of it.  The only problem was my knees are sore.  It's right below the kneecap at the front of my knees, on both legs.  Anyone any ideas what to do?  It's sore when I walk too.  

Well done everyone else on their runs and hope you have a good weekend of running if you're out today image

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Fraggle I would get a foam roller to massage your legs it could be runners knee.  Not been out for a run today as my dad got rushed into hospital on Thursday so running has taken a bit of the back burner.

Fantastic glad you have downloaded it MillyMo and hope you are all running well.

Going to try and go out either Monday/Tuesday morning

• Sorry to hear about your dad, I hope all's well. Try to get out on a run if you have time, it helps a lot with the stress x

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Thanks Em-68 - went out for a run today in the lovely early morning sunshine.  I started on running on the grass as I was trying to get my Achilles to behave and it seemed to work image  A lovely 27 minute run at my usual slow snail pace of 12.45 minutesish.

Such a beautiful morning and thoroughly enjoyed the run!! Done me a world of good.  Dad has kidney failure but the marvellous hospital seem to have sorted him out again.  Hopefully be out shortly.  Thanks for the lovely message Em-68

One last run to the muddy race and then onwards and upwards to further distances and the park run.

How's the injury Em68?

How is everyone else getting on?

• Glad you got out KattC and your dad's on the mend, sounds like a nice run to start the week image

I'm no expert but foam roller sounds like a good plan Fraggle, and if in doubt - ice packs and rest!

Well my phone decided to give up the ghost this weekend (always just before a new iPhone release eh...), so I went out yesterday to the park and just thought I'd just see how much I could do. Rather than doing it by minutes, I did it by landmarks - i.e. "if I can make it down the hill and round the pond, then I can have a couple of minutes rest." Seemed to work quite well - I covered just over 3 miles. Took me 50 minutes, so twice as long as I need, but it was my first try! And it was nice how everyone was so friendly too, saying hello as they passed. Shame I could barely reply as I was so out of breath though image

Then today I went for a quick 20 minute walk/run round the block, and I found my saviour - a baseball cap! So when the cars go past I don't feel quite so much like they're looking at me!

So I still have a long way to go, but I'm feeling a little more encouraged today at least.

What's everyone's plan for this week then?

• Fab news from everyone, great to hear we're all doing so well.

KatC, I hope you find time for some exercise, it is a great stress relief! And good luck in the build up to the muddy run!

I moved up a gear yesterday and really felt the change. 2 mins run, 2 mins walk and then 3 minutes run then walk.... TWICE! Didn't think I was going to make it at all!  Did the first 3 minute run and yes, it was blooming hard work! Was all puffy and tomato-faced by the end.  But the second one was really, really hard work!  Did 2 mins then I had to stop and walk.  I did finish it, and then second 2 minute run afterwards too.

I beat myself up over this yesterday but have come to the following conclusions...

1.  I still did it, even though I had a little extra break

2. New route, slight incline (felt like Everest!) and it was pretty warm.  Lots of non-runny people in park on new route.  Felt like a giant arse!

3. Was interrupted by hysterical laughing fit at my ridiculous dog COVERED in mud.  Had dog shame; people pointed and laughed.

4. Brilliant playlist of tragic 80's musak was interrupted by blast of 'ballad' type thing. Not runny musak! image

So those are my excuses!!!  Will try the same run again tomorrow.  I was so disappointed that I couldn't do the two sets of 3 mins...but I keep reminding myself that 3 weeks ago I could only run for 40 ish seconds! image

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

http://raceforlife.cancerresearchuk.org/types-of-event/pretty-muddy/index.html

Millie Moo it's this - a race for life for cancer research with mud and obstacles lol  image  Last one I think is a great slide into a mud pit. 

Ho Ho Ho cannot wait x

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Fraggle I’ve got a foam roller and it's fab and sorts out your muscles.  I also put some foam heel pads in my running shoes to impact the shock. Was recommend to do that from a physio when my back was bad.   Sadly I think its our bodies just saying hey what on earth are doing all this running thing for lol

It was a lovely start to the day and beautiful sunrise.  Although I am soon going to have to run at night or stick to main roads when its dark in the morning. I like running in the morning as it sets me up for the day. 

You are doing fab never beat yourself up about any run as it still a run.  I am always told if you are struggling slow it down and relax.  I had a major bleep at week 8 where I really struggled and then ended up doing better than I thought.  I also had to have some time off and then go back and do a couple of weeks again but that didn't matter. 

What a shame about your phone Millemo– sounds like you done well as 3 miles is 5k.  Ahh baseball caps are great – I use always wear sunglasses apart from when its raining!  You are doing great well done. 

Nicky Sounds fab about your dog does he want to come with me on the muddy race J 

Music certainly helps me and I have some really cheesy tunes often from the 80s as well but today don’t laugh I was running to Disney classics including Bear Necessities, I want to be like you, A pirates life for me and then followed by Rocky Horrors Time War J  So much fun I have to say lol  The time went by as I was concentrating on listening to them.

Well done guys xxx you are doing great xx think how far we have come xx  Let's see what this week can bring.

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Thanks guys for this forum and thread its keeping me on the straight and narrow but I have to admit that I addicted to running x

• Well done Nicky, you still did it - and sounds like you're not far off anyway, and a huge improvement, so no need to beat yourself up!

Muddy run sounds fuuun Katt... you'll have a blast! image

I did the same course this morning as yesterday - it's just a mile route (1.1/1.2 ish), so I'm not out for long, but I really struggled with it today. It was really sunny and bright, and quite busy - quite a few cars out, and people on the pavement. I was just so self-conscious with me huffing and puffing away, looking like a beetroot, so all I could think about was people looking at me.

It's silly really and a little narcissistic, to think that people have nothing better to do than look at me attempt to run, but I guess your mind plays funny tricks when you're struggling!

Anyway, at least I did it, only a couple of stops to walk, so try again in a couple of days I guess and see how I get on. And I'll make sure the cap is on and hope for cloudy weather and a quiet street image

• Good on you Millie moo - I know what you mean about people looking, I feel the same way!!  I'm convinced everyone is laughing at me.

I bet they're not tho...they're probably jealous and wishing they had the courage to get up and DO something, let alone start running.

So well done you - ignore the world around you and keep going, you're doing brilliantly!

I'm off again later this afternoon to try and beat the 2 x 3 minute runs I couldn't quite manage on Sunday.  I'm really determined to do it!!!! image

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Fantastic and I'm now at the belief that people are far too interested in themselves to look at us look image  I've even tested it out with a run near a very busy road and no a beep or a nod from anyone.  I'm usually looking around and taking in the environment rather than just the people.    You are doing grand.

Good luck with the 2 x 3 minute runs how did you get on!!

Next run either tomorrow or Friday.

Happy Wednesday everyone

• Whoooo yay me!  I did it! Really chuffed with myself, I know it's a small thing to lots of you, but it's a big thing for me! Knees a bit ouchy but they held out and although sore today, they're not painful.  Am doing strengthening exercises to help.

I went for my run yesterday around 6pm (I normally go first thing) and I really wasn't in the mood, felt very negative etc.

But it was OK! Might repeat this one again tomorrow as I'm really not sure I can manage the next step up just yet and I feel I need to conquer this one first!

How is everyone else getting on?

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well NickyMmm how are your knees today?  Good luck with the run today.  Decided to run tomorrow as working from home and have more time early in the morning.  Then last one until the pretty muddy.  I'm then going to up my time and distance by 10% each week.

Gorgeous morning happy running x

• Fraggle - how are you? Hope things going well and the pains not too bad. Thought i had hamstring issue but the magic foam roller said otherwise
  • KattCKattC ✭✭✭

I was wondering where Fraggle had got too.  Ohh glad the foam roller worked - back to pilates twice a year to sort my muscles out. x