Tell me it gets easier!

1343536373840»

Comments

• Thanks Geoff, but believe me, I am very much still a beginner!  I know what you mean about the others though!! imageimage

I have to say, this forum has been an immense help - not just for practical advice but for making running something I can share with other people.  Every time I go out for a run even though I'm on my own it somehow feels like I'm part of a group, knowing I can report back on the highs and lows and hear the same from others.  I don't think I'd have been quite so motivated without it.  So thanks everyone!  image

• I forgot to mention the dream I had the other night.  I was running in a race at my primary school (although I was a teenager (?)) and I was doing well running round the sports pitch, keeping up with the leaders, and not even feeling out of breath.  Then towards the end I started sprinting and pushed past all the others towards the finish line.  But someone had taken part in the race on a bike and had cycled through the finishing tape so I didn't get to cross the line first.  I was so mad.  I kept protesting that they didn't count as they had cycled, but I kept getting told that technically I had come second.  I spent ages going round protesting that I was first out of all the runners but no one seemed to take any notice.  I was so gutted that I wasn't getting the attention I felt I rightly deserved.  image

• This is a monster thread, and I am disinclined to read it all, but Fraggle- did it get easier? image

• Ha ha!  Yes, I can confidently say that it got very much easier!

So to anyone else out there wondering the same thing - just stick with it.  When I started this thread I couldn't run the length of one street, but after a few stops and starts, I completed my first 10k the other week.  It's a great feeling to see how much you can progress in quite a short space of time. image

• Great to hear, and curiosity satisfied! Congratulations, it sounds like you're enjoying it, too- really chuffed for you image

• Hey! Glad to read everyone is still at it and keeping going. I'm still doing 3 tubs a week, trying to do 5k as much as possible, but sometimes I stop at 3k. Made it through my first week back at work, so done 2 evening runs and have been lucky with the weather as its been really nice. Have now done 4, 5km runs and got faster each time. Still really slow, but I'd rather just make sure I can do it consistently and then worry about properly getting my time down.

Hope you've all got your running mojo just now. : )

Ps. Fraggle, love your dream-you totally deserved to come first!
  • Still going even though a month since last post.

Everyone still running?

I'm struggling to motivate myself but I'm still averaging 10 to 15 mile a week but it's not fun image.

Feel like I may as well have taken up swimming with way it's been going last few weeks lol. May try early am runs again to try to get me motivated lol
  • Morning all, Everyone seems to be doing amazingly well on here, I'm so impressed with all those achievements, I feel my efforts are positively lacking in comparison. I've posted a few times on here (pages back) but as a brief summary from doing virtually no exercise, I started the couch to 5k plan in May and and completed that (although I could not do 5k in the 35 minutes) We had a period of 'just running' and then a quick look and attempt at the follow on podcasts speed/stamina and whatever the other one is called. I do still miss the structure of the couch to 5k and the way that you can see clear and obvious progress. I would definitely recommend it to anyone to try.

I'm still trying to get out there 3 times a week and I mostly do. I still very much regard myself as a beginner and would definitely NOT describe myself as a runner yet.

I have kind of 'settled' on 3 - 4 miles as my distance at the moment, any more is a real struggle for me and any less seems to feel like a cheat run! I am trying to increase my speed and have been really pushing myself, with mixed results (I have good days- marginal increase in speed and bad days- nightmare pace where I'd have done better walking)

I have accepted that I will never be super duper fast but I set myself milestones that I try to achieve (I get really cross with myself when I fail)  I would love to see a proper, significant improvement on my pace. Any advice on how to do this? 

• Hi all and I am so sorry I havn't posted for ever! But I have exciting news....  I was picked to be a member of the Big Marathon Challenge for a women's running magazine!!!  I went to London yesterday to meet the rest of the team, my professional coach, physio and people from ASICS and High5 who are sponsoring us!!

It is an amazing experience and will help me so much to get to the London Marathon!! I am still writing my blog, http://elvaaron.blogspot.co.uk/  please feel free to follow it, I try to make it fun and light hearted but reviews and run reports etc.  If anyone else is new to running and/or overweight etc then it may help to read all the things I did/am doing wrong lol.

I have read back and seen that I am not the only one that hasn't been posting lol..Where has everyone gone?

PEZ - You are doing great, keep at it, and consider writing a diary or a blog, I found it really helped keep me motivated.  Again I'm always on hand for for motivation so feel free to follow the blog or the twitter and we can help motivate each other image

Loopyloulou - You are also doing fab!  Never look at others and feel you are lacking, we are all different.  One of my motivational mantras is 'Whilst I'm out running there are others still in bed/on the couch etc, life is good'

With regards to your pace, my trainer has now stripped me back to move me forward.. I would go out and run loads and then not do anything for a couple of weeks cos id be knackered... or I would run a shorter distance really quickly and then do nothing for weeks.  My New plan involves as rough:  Rest day, 2 days pilates/cross train for about 40 mins and 2 days about 40 mins at 3 mins faster than normal 3 mins brisk walk, and then long run which will also include runs and walks but running at normal pace.

Hope to hear from others again soon, and will try and check in as regular as poss.

• Ashamed to say my lack of motivation reported in my last few posts continued and I didn't run for over 2 months. I went out on Monday thought, having told myself I was a fool to waste all the hard work in getting through the C25K and up to 10k earlier in the year. I was really worried how I'd cope.

As it went it wasn't too bad. I was a little slower than the pace that I'd got up to, but still at an ok pace I managed a local circuit of about 2.2miles, without having to stop and walk. I can't say it was "fun", but it wasn't torturous either. I'll be going out and doing the same loop again tonight, and then either Thursday or Saturday (I'm out Friday) will try and push the distance up a bit again.

I'm going to try and through in some pushups and other little bits on my non running days to try and keep the healthy motivation going, as I'm terrible for falling out of routines.

I'll try and make sure to keep up posting in this thread as I still feel it is a great motivator. And a MASSIVE well done to those who have still been getting out there while I've been a lazy ass

• Merry Xmas all.

last week my running picked up again and got a nice 7 mile race tomorrow up and down hills so could be fun but suspect won't be lol. It's My Home Run In West Wales So Looking Forward To it.
  • Happy New Year everyone. Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year and are recovered from the over indulgence image

How did the 7 miler go Pez? Can't say I'd have been any use trying to go for a run on boxing day, let alone 7 mile up and down hills.

I got out for a couple of short runs over Christmas, just to keep the legs moving. Now back on it properly. My fitness and speed has dropped noticeably while I've been lazy, which is really annoying. However, last night managed 5.5k in 30 minutes. Fair bit slower than I had built up to but it's the furthest I've been in a while so was still pleasing to start getting the distance back up.

Hoping to go out for another 2-3 miles tonight, then do parkrun on Saturday. 

• Nice little 4 miles tonight. Was seriously flagging by the end of it though, but good to start pushing the distance up a little bit again. 

• See the thread has gone dead..

my running picked up after december and saturday will be my 2nd half of march but loads of lityle niggles and wont be a fast one. Hope everyone else is running well.
  • It's took me a couple of nights but I have read through the thread and it is too inspiring to let it die so I thought I would dive in and say hi ????

i started a Couch to 10k app 4 weeks ago after not doing any exercise since I retired from motorcycle racing 15 years ago! Being 6 foot 2" and 17 stone with a barrel instead of a six pack, a weak back and neck from too many bike crashes over the years and so unfit my 8 year old daughter runs circles around me.

So I decided I had to change things and so I signed up for the Norwich 10k (7th August), I hoped it would motivate me to and it has as I have been out 3 times a week and have just completed week 4. I even managed a slow 10k last week just to see if I could do it (1 hour 24 mins), then my run tonight  went back to my 2.5 mile route and managed a pb getting down to 11:36/mile average from 12:23/mile.

So although I'm no Steve Cram I am enjoying it! 

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Morning not been on here for ages - waves to everyone.

Had a few issues with ITB but completed the Brighton 10k in a snail pace time which I really enjoyed. 

Qbert72 have done the Norwich 10k lovely race a few small inclines.

How is everyone doing xxx looks like you are all doing fab x

• Evening All,

KattC well done at completing the 10k, the time isn't as important as the feeling of crossing the line. 

I am struggling to be honest, I am running at a comfortable pace (slower than I was) but just can't keep it up without slowing to a walk every 5 to 8 mins! I just cant break the cycle image

Any ideas ?

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

I feel the same Qbert72 time is very irrevelant and love the feeling of crossing the finishing lane and the enjoyment.  I walk too and don't worry about it lol just enjoy it.  I little walk to get yourself back into running is fine.  Still have to walk on all the runs I do.  Just enjoy it xx

Regarding Norwich there are some pretty hilly sections, so just walk up them if you want.  I passed many people walking up the hills who were running lol x

• Hi KattC,

I'm doing some training in Norwich so hopefully should know some of the hills by the time the race gets here. I am enjoying the running much to my surprise, it's just frustrating at times lol x

Do you gave another run planned?

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Had a few injuries so next runs are the Friday Five series and the big one for me is the Great North Run in September

• Well done for going for those quality of runs, I couldn't imagine doing them at the moment. I watched the London marathon yesterday and even the ones that looked slow looked fast to me.

I did a Treadmill run  yesterday and I did 3.4 miles, with a solid 2 miles running at a slightly quicker pace than on the road. So I know I can do it but it just seems a lot harder on the road. But as it is the bank holiday weekend coming up I am planning to run a 10k just to see what progression I have had over the last month. If I can knock 5 minutes off a month then in theory I should be able to get from 1hr 24min down to 1hr 5mins by the race and then maybe go for 60mins race time. But small steps as finishing is the target on the day.

• As a new runner and hopefully a new member to this group I have to say how much you have all inspired me with my running.  I have read many books about people who have taken up running but have got so much more out of reading this thread.  All the contributors are like friends who share the ups and downs it truly has made a great read. 

I have just started running I am at week 4 on the C25K the most I have run is a mile non stop but for some reason can only run half a mile non stop now so decided to try the C25K.

You have given me so much inspiration I have never joined a forum before but feel I want to be part of this group if you will have me!

Good luck to you all and please post your achievements as it keeps me going.

• Hi Billylou. I am a "fledging runner" too and this is my first post. I have been reading this forum thread and been inspired by everyone to keep going no matter how slow I am and the fact that I have to run/walk all the time. I am currently working up the courage to do my first park run sometime over the next few weeks.
  • Well done you having the confidence to do that. I know what you mean about the walk/run thing. I was thinking I'm not running properly if I have to walk and was only counting my running and not my walking. This thread has made me realise even the most experienced runners still walk at some points.

Going to try week four of the C25k tomorrow fingers crossed!
  • Have a good run Billylou keep it up!
  • Tried week 4 of C25K all psyched up phone crashed!! Had my watch luckily so had to do my own thing.

Managed 1 mile mostly running little walk in between so quite pleased. Glad I pushed myself and went out.

I'm getting better very slowly but I can see improvements. Il try week 4 on Tuesday.

Jammymich when do you plan on doing your 5k?
  • I'm hoping to do one in a few weeks time. I don't expect to be quick and I'll need a couple of walk breaks but I feel I've reached the stage that it's now or never ???