Tell me it gets easier!

Comments

• Hi all,

Been awol for a few days due to a nasty tummy bug - no chance of running!! image

Back to it today, after a week break, and it was OK.  I went back a step on my c25k plan and I managed it.  I did try and speed up a little on the final 3 minute run and it was all good!  Pretty tough going and I did feel light -headed when I finished, but I guess that's normal having been poorly earlier in the week.  Really pleased that I could still do the run that I last did - I thought I would have to go back a week or so!  Next run due on Saturday!!

Great to hear how everyone is getting on, we're doing really well!!  And hello new runners that have joined this thread - how are you all doing and what are everyone's plans for the next week?

Off to google foam rollers, I think that could be a worthwhile investment.

• Hi all,

Welcome Searow, the more the merrier, and welcome back NickyMmm!  I've had a few days off myself due to a bug as well, am hoping to get back into running tomorrow morning.  Am going out for a walk today to see how I go.  My last run was pretty good so I'm hoping I haven't gone backwards in my few days off.  

I also bought a foam roller but I haven't the foggiest what I'm doing with it!  I googled some exercises but I still can't seem to get the hang of it.  For example, when I'm rolling my calf muscles, I need to support my weight off the floor with my hands which I find difficult after a few seconds.  Am I doing this right or is my upper body strength just really pathetic?!image  Some of the exercises seem to have you keeping your weight on the ground from what I can see, but then I can't get a lot of room for the rolly movement.  I quite fancy getting a tennis ball to roll out the wee bits around my ankles because the foam roller doesn't really get into them.

Will be back tomorrow with, fingers crossed, another run done (in a new park - woo!) image

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Nice to see you here Searow and you are most welcome here with us newbies x and sorry you have both been unwell Fraggle and Nicky. 

What I tend to do is put the foam roller on the floor and roll over the back of one of your calf whilst you are sitting on your bum and for extra massage cross the other leg on top of your leg whilst you massage your calf.  I also tend to get on my hands and knees and do the side of leg where I get shin splits, roll the front of my thighs and also the side of my hip.  Just remember never roll over your knees image 

Have a look at these pages for exercises

http://gypsy-fit.com/foam-roller-exercises/

http://athleticmuscle.net/choosing-the-best-foam-roller-and-benefits/

I don't tend to roll them too much just 10 seconds on each section per leg and after a run. 

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

I forgot to mention I went for a run to see if I could do another 5k non stop running only managed one so far.  So I set out today on a foggy morning and managed to do it, average pace 12.14! with doing my fastest (well fast for me) mile ever at 12.11 per mile.  I was really chuffed and thought I better see if I could do it again as I have my first park run on Saturday.

I think I am going to be the slowest there but it is going to be fun and looking forward to it.

I love my foam roller and I have also put some heel pads in my shoes which seem to help as well.

Hope everyone is well and next run ekekek the park run happy running everyone x

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Searow two mile shuffles are fab - keep us posted on how you are getting on x

• evening everyone - just come back from a 3 mile shuffle - its a long process but going in the right direction. Thanks for making me so welcome here !

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭
    Well done the 3 mile shuffle x my turn tomorrow x
  • This thread's been quiet the past few days - how's everyone's running going?  I must admit this morning was my first run in two weeks, I've had a hectic couple of weeks along with ankle pain.  But no pain today, not even in my knees!  Did my second run of week 4 with the 5 min runs but I still can't seem to be able to complete all of the last run without stopping.  It's so frustrating!  I did half of it today.  On the one hand I'm annoyed with myself but on the other I'm telling myself that at least I had a go at it and managing some of it is better than nothing.  Plus it wasn't a bad effort after having two weeks off.  I'm hopefully back on schedule now although I might have to repeat this week next week because I don't want to move on until I can do all of the runs without stopping.

Hope everyone is still out there and enjoying their parkruns, shuffles, plodding etc image

PS I suppose it's still 11 down, 16 to go!  (not counting my repeat week)

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Morning Fraggle - I stopped posting on here as I was posting to myself and looking like a realy plonker lol  Glad you have no pain in the knees and ankle.  Well done you - you are doing amazing well - what stops you on the last run?  Don't worry I found I was going slightly to fast and feeling puffed out.  Don't worry if you have to repeat its better to feel comfortable before you go on.  I had to have two months off with a sprained ankle after I only just started and went back three weeks.  I actually felt better and stronger.

Remember you are doing great and I log all my runs so I can remember that first run where I couldn't even run for a minute.  Remember that first run and always think how fab you are and what an achievement you are doing. 

My plodding is going well, now two parkruns under my belt image  This week's was better weather conditions and not sure how I done it but I knocked two minutes off my time plodding in at 38.52 minutes and came 124th out of 142!!! Even managed a sprint finish lol  First person came in at 17 minutes image but shhhh we will not count that.  Was in awe of the young lad who had an amazing stride and he was fantastic.   But I love our parkruns and roll on next week.

I'm starting to try and increase my distance, although still got a problem with my left shin being sore.  I managed to snail along for 46.28 minutes, at a very slow pace of 12.40 minutes and managed 3.67 miles.  Longest I have ever done and nearly 6k.  Although I felt sore after 20 minutes but had a second wind after 40 minutes.  Really enjoyed it even with the sore legs - very foggy but it was fab.

I've vowed I am going to do the Great North Run but also thinking about the Loch Ness Marathon as I got on holiday in that area every year.  Maybe too ambitious but its a year off!!

Well done fraggle and nice to see you back.  I've missed you - what about everyone else please post as it keeps me inspired.

• Fraggle are you trying to run it too fast? You will probably say you can't run any slower but try just easing off a bit and when you want to stop look into a short distance in front of you like a lamp post or a tree and say to yourself I'll keep going to there and as you're approaching it start looking for the next lamp post or whatever and tell yourself you'll make it to there and so on. Also it's ok to start again, if you stop just walk for 30-45 secs then start running again and complete your run. Well done so far and don't beat yourself up, your miles ahead of so many people by simply getting out there and doing it. 

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

When I was at this stage, I use to not watch the clock but just go by how many songs I had listened to, it seemed to help as well.

• Well done on your park runs KattC - you're doing great with them!  Getting under 40 mins is brill, I'd love to get to that stage!

I'm not sure I'm running too fast bigeater, I honestly don't think I can run any slower, but at the last 5 min run I just feel like I've not had enough time to recover from the previous run (90 seconds walk).  I think if I could have another minute just to get my breath back I'd be able to do it, so I'm thinking about cheating a little and pausing the podcast for a minute before attempting the last run to give myself a slightly longer walking break. I would feel as though I had cheated though so I'm not sure.  I'll see how the next run goes and how I feel at the time.

I definitely do the trick of running lamp post to lamp post, or to the next wheelie bin!  Usually I tell myself just to go to there then I can stop if I want although I never usually stop, it's just psychological.  Right at the end I've found that it isn't so much being out of breath that makes me stop, it's that my legs don't feel like they can keep moving any more and it feels like they're not a part of me if that makes sense image

I do love getting a lot of hellos from all the other runners I see - a man overtook me running and turned back just to wave and say good morning which was lovely.  Makes me feel like part of a wee community, especially on here! image

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Thanks Fraggle - I certainly recommend taking part in one of those when you have finished C25k so much fun and tea and cakes at the end..

You are doing fab  x just remember that if you need to walk just do a quick walk, just listen to your body.  Do you follow any strengthening exercises Fraggle?

Its lovely to get a hello and just a nice friendly atmosphere.  When's your next run.  I'm going out on Thursday and then it will be a parkrun again on Saturday. 

Fabulousx

• 12 down, 15 to go!

Well I managed it!  On the third run of week 4 I actually managed to do all of the runs without walking during them, and I didn't even pause the podcast like I thought I might have to.  The start of the run was worse than usual, I struggled all the way round but I did it!  Even the steep hills right at the end when I was exhausted.  I am so pleased image

I think I might do one more run of week 4 before moving on to week 5 (which looks hellish!)  Hopefully today wasn't a fluke!  I'm not really feeling that my fitness is getting any better but I suppose it must be.  I do remember struggling with one of the week 2 runs, and those were only 90 second runs.  That would be bliss at this stage!  So maybe I am improving, albeit very very slowly.

• Wooohoooo!  Everyone is doing so well!!!  Great to hear your news and that you're still at it and improving so much.

Been mad busy wtih work/life etc so I really haven't had a chance to post on here, but I've sneaked in to see how you are all doing.  I had a forced week off with a tummy big and then horrible stiff achilles pain (worse when I wasn't running ironically!).  I was back out yesterday and it was OK!  I stayed back on week 4 of my plan and got through the whole run with a couple of minor blips.  I'm going to do the same run again tomorrow and then the final run of week 4 before I attempt week 5.

I agree Fraggle....it looks hellish!!!  But a few weeks ago we couldn't manage more than a minute or so!

What other news?  How is everyone getting on with their training?

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done guys that is fab xx  Not had another run this week as achille is sore so having a rest until the parkrun tomorrow.  Don't panic about the week just slow down and enjoy it and listen to the music.

Housemate didn't get into the London marathon yet again 10th year running of being unsuccessful - she now wants to do a marathon and wants to drag me along.  I'm going to see if I can get into the Great North Run first and do that.

I'm finding this running thing is very good and managing stress so long may it continue x

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Third parkrun completed this week in a slightly slower time of 39.35 just didn't have any power in my legs, had an emotional rollercoaster week and I certainly felt it.

It is weird as I thought I was running much slower than last week but I was only 45 seconds slower than my PB achieved last week. I realised there was more faster runners than me so hence I felt I was going slower.

Just need to increase my speed lol

• Great news KattC!  I hope the runs are helping with everything else going on with your life!  And I'd be delirious if I could do a time like that!!

How is everyone doing?  I hope the other newbies are still going strong? Fraggle where are you in the program now - you must be about the same as me as I think we started the same week?

I did day 2 of week 5 today and am very chuffed to report that I managed my first ever 8 minute run!!  Driving rain, howling wind...LOVED IT! I found it exhilarating/fun/challenging - and I am bouncing on cloud 9 that I managed it with 2x 5 minute runs before and after.  Went through puddles, came home drenched...LOVED IT!  If you're a beginner like me and haven't tried running in the rain yet - GO AND DO IT!

Day off tomorrow and then I will try and repeat the same run again - it was hard going and I want to nail this one before I move to the next step.  I love looking back over the weeks and remembering saying 'there is NO way I can run 3 minutes...then there was NO way I could EVER do 5 minutes...."

And I did 8! Yaaaayyyy me! I want to hear everyone's progress...how are we getting on out there?

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done Nicky, I've just been for a quick, of slightly faster than slow rain in the rain and I love it.  Splashing through the puddles and it certainly is a lot more fun than in the hot sun.  I'm not a fair weather runner I have to say.  Well done on week 5 that is fab news and completing a 8 minute run - you see you can do it image  I am so excited for you.  I think it helps having this thread as it keeps us motivated and well done that is fab.  Big hug pat on the back image  The world is your oyster now.

I cracked the 11 minute barrier today lol I managed my first mile in 11.31 and then the second in 12.31 - only had time to do 2 miles so going to do a longish run on Thursday evening and trying for a 45 minute session and then another parkrun.

It certainly is helping with the stress and life is one big rollercoaster at the moment.  Shame we didn't live closer and we could all do a running session together.

Well done guys you are all fab x

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Hi all - thought i would pop back in and cant believe how well everyone is doing - Fraggle so well done - unfortunately niggles are part of it for some of us..err on side of caution but i agree probably not the pace so you are doing everything right and your body is adjusting.

Kattc, Nicky et al - so good to see your progress sub 40 parkruns and 45 min sessions - thats progress! 

Glad to see this forum still going.

I got into London for next year ...DOH! I have a nice little half marathon on Sunday (my 2nd race ever).  Had little running in last three weeks as guess what the Achilles and ankle image So im nice and relaxed about it - up in the highlands and then have a weeks holiday up there - cant get better.

We runners really put our bodies through the ringer eh!!

Take care and will pop back in...loved reading up on everyone

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done Shedboy in getting into London that is amazing.  My housemate has been trying for 10 years and it was a No again.  What's your half marathon you are doing?  Love the highlands always go every year.  Keep us posted and will be thinking of you at the weekend.

I'm going to do my long run today and see if I can do a 45 minute session.  Running has kept me sane these past few weeks and sadly my Dad was diagnosed with aggressive prostrate cancer which had gone into his bones.  My worse ever run was on Saturday at the parkrun I had no fuel in the tank, legs went to jelly and had only gone 1 mile.  I carried on and thought oh well run and walk and go with the flow.  Lots of fast runners at our parkrun that make me even more like a snail. lol

Will see what we do this weekend lol   Also going to book into doing the poppyrun 5k in a couple of weeks.  Be daring and do two 5ks at a weekend.

Have a good race Shedboy and keep popping in, this thread is fantastic for motivation.  

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Went for a run last night and wasn't the long run I anticipated as it was so windy.  I managed 37 minutes and 3 miles nearly 5k but had to do a few walks inbetween to get my breath back from the head wind.  parkrun tomorrow xx

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Ohhh what happened to Mr Blobby's post.

• Oh that's weird, I was just coming on here to say welcome to him. ??  Strange!

(And also to say that I am female, not male! image)

Sorry to hear about your dad KattC, hope you're holding up and glad to hear that you're finding running is helping with the stress.  You're doing really well with the parkruns so keep it up!

Shedboy - congrats on the marathon place - remember to keep us up to date on your progress.

NickyMmm - I am indeed just about to start week 5 although I might do one more run of 5 mins intervals first.  It's a bit tricky now because now that I'm running for longer I need to find a more suitable route otherwise I'm going to be running round the block five times in a row!  There is a park sort of nearby but I'm not really sure if it's the safest park in the world to be running alone in so I think I'll stick to streets for now, especially as it's getting dark in the evenings and early mornings.

Hopefully be back with an update of another run tomorrow.  Have a good weekend folks x

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Shame it got deleted as I was going to reply too.  Well done Fraggle, Nicky and Shedboy - week 5 and it sounds like it is going very well.  I've had to alter what time I run now due to time limitation but keep on going.  Have you used http://www.mapmyrun.com/my_home/ you can map out a run and make sure you do a loop back and round home.  I'm sticking to the streets now rather than running around the cycle paths.

Third parkrun today and got my best ever time 38.03 and run my fastest mile 11.50!! for the first mile puffed and panted over the line but woohoo gradually getting faster.  The faster runner came in at 17 minutes lol he was heading home before I had even finished the second mile lol

Quite sore today so icing my shin and good luck with the run.  Let us know how it goes Fraggle.  xx

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Hello Fraggle - thanks. I did my second half marathon today...just over a year running..takes time but its worth it image hope you are all well!
  • thought I d pop back in - everyone is doing so well - work has been manic with lots of 12 and 14 hr days so not so much running - but I went out tonight and plodded for 30 minutes

Well done KattC on your park run that is a great time - sorry to hear about your dad - when my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer three years ago it was the running that kept me going - unfortunately I didn t keep up the running so I am back to square 1 again.

I love reading this thread it keeps me motivated although it may be a while before I crack 11 minute miles !

• Hi ...can I introduce myself hope you won't mind me barging in image...I'm just getting back into running and reading these posts is inspiring, I'm really hoping you lot can give me a kick when I get down as I'm struggling with way too many injuries, I've just started joining he park runs and managed just under 40 mins on my second one ...really hoping to get to 35 mins !

• KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done Shedboy - what marathon did you do?

Nice to see you again searow, running is definitely keeping me sane, so sorry to hear about your mum.    Good luck with cracking the reaching the 11 minute - it just beyond my grasp at the moment.  I can run one mile just going into the 11 minute mile and then It goes pear shaped lol

Nice to met you Lisa and welcome aboard and keep us posted on how you are going.  Well done on your second parkrun just under 40 minutes.  I'm hoping to get to 35 minutes one day too.  We are all doing very well.

Going for a run tomorrow, was quite sore in my left shin again after the parkrun so iced it up and see what tomorrow brings.

Did anyone run today?  How did it go?