Options

Tell me it gets easier!

Comments

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Hi katt - just a half marathon - aviemore in highlands...found it v tough this time.

How are u?
  • Options

Great to see everyone is doing so well, and some new faces too!  Hi Lisa!!

Shedboy, that's really inspirational to hear that you have done so much in a short space of time - did you start out as a C25k person too?  Or were you already a runner?

Kat you are doing so well!! You must be so chuffed with those times.  Keep going, it is a great stress relief and you can give yourself some time and space to clear your head whilst running.

I started out on saturday with good intentions but my achilles was really painful, sore and tight. I did lots of stretching beforehand but after 5 mins running decided that it wasn't right so I walked home, lots more stretches and rested it.  Went out today and all was good!  Managed week 5, day 3 and am surprisingly not dead!  Lashing it down with rain, and blowing a hoolie, but I did it all and bounced back home with a big smile on my face.  Covered in mud, soaked to the skin - LOVED IT!!!

Must get on with some work!  What are everyone's running plans this week?

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    I ran in 2008 and gave up because of injuries! I started again last january using c25k but also joined a gym for cycling and weights. I then went stupid and trained for a half!!!! But it worked ...ups and downs all the time though but still over a stone lighter and gave up the fags and eat much better now too.

Hahaha sounds like a great fun run that! My plans - nothing but rest this week image
  • Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Fantastic Shedboy well done – love the highlands and aviemore. I am tempted I have to say to one day tackling the loch ness marathon.  It’s an inspiration post and I have to say that your comments keep me motivated and running as well.  I think you deserve a rest this week.  Hope you don’t ache too much.  Well done for giving up the fags and being a stone lighter. 

Woohoo Nicky you are doing well – love running in the rain and how is your Achilles now.  Well done on completing week 5 – you see you can do it.  Bring on week 6!!

I’ve signed up to do the British Legion Poppy Run 5k in two weeks time.  I’m hoping to break the 38 minute barrier soon lol

Going out for a run tomorrow morning and trying to see if I can find a running plan that takes me up to 10k she says lol I function much better with a plan and I miss that since I stopped C25k.  I know there is a bridging app but I didn’t use the app on the Couch plan just used my watch and my own music.

Let’s bring on another running week, I look forward to reading all about it.

• Options

Tried to get out today but left my trainers at home image...will have to go tomorrow !!!!

• Options

got out plodding again tonight -part of the route takes me through town and I made the mistake of looking at my reflection in the shop window - I think shuffling sums up how it looked - I won t make that mistake again !

Hope everyone else has a good week

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Shufflers of the world unite searow - well done x

I've just ran my first ever four miles so excited lol in a shuffling snail pace of 50 minutes, average snail pace of 12.31 minute miles.  Happy with that and felt better after I had run for 35 minutes lol I could have probably done another 10 minutes but trying to up my time gently. 

Booktrunk has kindly sourced me a 10k running plan as I've been all out of sorts not having a plan to follow.  I've been upping the time by 10% but needed a bit more structure.

Wohooo guys did anyone else run today.

• Options

That's brilliant Katt, well done you!!!

You must be very chuffed with yourself! image

I saw your thread about upping to a 10k plan, I will keep that one in mind....just in case I ever manage to get that far!  Like you, I like the idea of having a plan to follow.

No run for me today; rest day and the achilles is very tight again.  I'm going to do a load of stretches and hope it will loosen up so that I can run tomorrow.  Filthy wet, cold & miserable here today - perfect for running haha!!

How is everyone doing?

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Thanks Nicky I certainly am image chuffed to bits and have been doing lots of heel drops/raises and leg exercises and stretches too.

I sort of come to a dead end when I finished the couch to 5k although I had to keep running for a few more weeks as I couldn't get to 5k in 30 minutes lol But I realised last night that I had sort of lost the plot and didn't know what to do next lol  image  and certainly not giving up lol Have you got a parkrun near you Nicky?  As they are really good for keeping up your spirit.

Sorry to hear abut Achilles - hope it gets better for tomorrow.  Damp and wet - perfect running weather image  cannot stand running in the heat lol image

Happy Tuesday everyone.

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    I just read the whole thread...hey got some time on my hands image

Jeeze you are all totally inspirational i may be a year or so ahead with my running but i remember why i started running...keep believing fraggle, katt, nicky, lisa, searow et al. It doesnt change .. The running problem and niggles and feelings etc...just the route image

Hey .. Loch ness october 2015 anyoneimage
  • Options

I read this thread yesterday and today and it convinced me to sign up.  I'm on week 6 of the C25k and reading this yesterday and today was very inspirational (stealing shedboy's words).

So just wanted to say its really great to see people going through the same thing and its really helped me smash out a run tonight!

• Options

Help!!! Disaster started running today and my legs literally wouldn't let me run image... I haven't been out since sat am and wasn't racing along ...quite the opposite in fact, managed just over 3k in 35 mins lol .... What's the mtater with me image

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Chris- hi hope run was good!

Lisa- ok no disaster thats normal. So many things can contribute to this- big night out, work, diet, training etc basically just a bad run probably because u were tired. So what now? Take it easy for a day your body is amazing and it sometimes just needs some chill. Try a wee run tomorrow or day after no big deal just yet. Maybe adjusting to being a fitness godess ... Times arent important just now. Whats the matter with u? You ran it was tough and these are the runs that define you! Go with flow and keep running image xxx
  • Options

Hi Chris - like you reading this thread keeps me inspired to keep going , its like a virtual running club. Lisa every run I have at the moment feels like my legs aren t working but I just have to remind myself at least I am out there trying rather than giving in to the doubting voices in my head (I m still slightly traumatized by my reflection in the shop window though -  i mean I didn't expect to look like a gazelle leaping gracefully along but I wasn't quite ready for what i was faced with !!!)

Katt - 4 miles is my next target well done you are nearly at your 10k !

what is everyone dreaming of achieving by this time next year ? I would love to do a half ironman triathlon I have a background in swimming but the running is my nemisis!

• Options

Wow you brilliant lot!! You're the ones that keep ME going, so this thread is just fab and is helping us all.

shedboy...it's words and comments like yours that really do make me believe I CAN do this, you're an inspiration and I love that you will give time and the knowledge of your experience to beginners.  It really does help!!!  I read a lot of stuff online, but I hope one day I can comment as you do, with wisdom, and say- yes I was you last year and LOOK AT ME NOW!!!

loch ness...yes please! One of the most beautiful places on earth in my humble opinion! If I can ever get to 5k I'll be over the frigging moon....let alone Loch Ness!

Chris- we're all in the same boat. I still can't believe I can run 8 mins, when a few weeks back I swear running hardly a minute killed me.  Keep going, talk through it on here and you will do it.

lisa, listen to your body. Are you going too fast? Are you trying too hard? Don't get despondent with times etc.  take it slow and steady and go gentle.  Step back and start again x

keep plodding gang!!! We're all doing SO WELL!! I'm hoping to run (plod) tomorrow but am going to see how my Achilles feel....right now they're too tight and all kinds of ouchy!  Sleep and stretches, and will re-evaluate in the cold light of day!

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Hi Chris welcome to the thread and do post - it certainly is like a vitual running club for beginners lol

I love this thread, it keeps me motivated, if you put down what you are doing to do in writing, you have to stick by it. 

I am really tempted at doing Loch Ness in 2015 Shedboy- I think I would much prefer doing that than London as it getting too much of a hype and a pain in the whatnots to get into.  I'm doing the poppyrun in a couple of Sundays time and then going to look for a 10k to do ekekeke   I'm also thinking about putting myself into the Great East Swim as well.  Have done it twice before. 

Don't worry Lisa I had a bad parkrun the other week, my legs just didn't belong to me and I wobbled all the way round.  But a bad run is better than a no run.

Searow lol don't worry about what you look like its what you are doing.  I imagine that I run like Mo and really I'm a shuffler snail lol but who cares. image  I keep trying to alter my running style so I run better and lighter but it doesn't seem to happen.  I'm dreaming of that 5 minute mile (who am I kidding lol) 

Nicky I have just brought a wobble board to do some exercises for my legs seems to work.  I have also been stretching at work as well as sitting down tends to tighten your legs. 

So who's running today and how do you do.... 

Next run will be tomorrow - trying for another 4 miles before the parkrun on Saturday. 

• Options

Yesterday was my best run yet.  I am on week 6 of an equivelent C25k.  So it was run for 20 minutes.  After I did my 20 minutes, I started it again, so walked for 5 mins, got my breath back and then ran for another 20.  Then I did it again... although only ran for 15 minutes the last time as I reached home (thankfully!).  All in all I did 7 miles in 1hr 9mins.  Its the best I've ever done.

I'm planning on attempting it again tonight as my legs feel fine and I feel good.  And its gven me confidence to sign up for my first 10k on 23rd November.

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done Chris that is impressive.  I struggled to get to my first 20 minutes but once I completed it I felt confident that I could do it again and again.  Just don't go too mad as you may get injured.

I would say go for the 10k - which one are you planning to do.  Well done x

No running today - going to have a rest night as I've got a tight hamstring and I am tired and could do with a rest.

• Options

Another one ticked off for me!  I've done day 2 of week 5 three times now, so decided today was the day for day 3.  I did 2 x 8mins!  It was hard!!  First 8 was OK but I looked at my time on the second run and was only about 5 mins in.  Then a whole group of about 15 people in a running group came at me, and being the giant eejit that I am, I started running faster!  So by the time I got past them, I was half ready to cop out!  I rested for 30 seconds and started again.

Finished it all.  Found the second 8 really tough going and my legs and particularly calf muscles are pretty sore.  I'm going to try this one again on Saturday; and i will repeat again probably!

Also went and weighed myself on one of those fancy machines in Boots.  According to the BMI thingy I am obese.  I really hope this running (combined with our new healthy eating plan!) will help me to shift some of the bulk!

image I need longer legs or something!!!  How is everyone else doing?

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done Nicky that is fab x 8 minute is fab and well done you xxx you should have joined them xx  I certainly need longer legs at 5ft lol

Only ran once this week but I have a parkrun tomorrow - so looking forward to that.  Going to just have a run to get rid of the stress tomorrow.  x

• Options

How was your park run Katt? I really hope to do one of those before too long.

just back from another go and 8 mins x 2... All good today! I even managed to bring the rest gap down to 3 mins and although I had a tiny break whilst going thru a gate, I did the whole thing! Really chuffed with progress so far! image

I might try it again on monday before the next big scary leap!!

how is everyone else doing this week? Hope you're all goood!!!

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Lovely parkrun but didn't beat my pb and came in at 38:24.  Still cannot run the course without walking some sections as it's off road and some sections have quite a bit of long grass.  Loved it though and tea and cakes at the end.

Well done Nicky that is fab and you should be chuffed you are doing so well xxx image  and just be confident you can do it.

I'm going to see if I can do another 4 miles twice this week.  I am hoping my legs are getting stronger as I don't feel half as stiff as I usually do after the parkrun. 

What's the next stage Nicky of the programme?  Pats on back all round guys.  You are all pretty special and keep me inspired.

Much love

• Options

Hello, I started week four  Of the c5k today. I honestly dI'd not think I could run for that long but I did it!,, I pulled back my pace on the first three mins and kept it steady and did the same on the five mins. I was so shocked when I was done.  My only worry is I'm not losing weight. I'm on slimming world and running six days a week and after each run I go on my treadmill for 45 mins of brisk walking.  By the time I'm done , in total I'm burning between 600 and 700 calories a day and the scales arnt moving ????

• Options

Hi all, just read the thread, it's lovely to see how far everyone has come on since the beginning! I'm on about week 4 of the runners world beginners program, so far it's going ok, although the last few minutes seem to drag on! I've been wanting to run, for years, but had to sort my dodgy hips and back out first, as every time I've tried over the last couple of years just aggravated my hip. Shite core strength and childbirth really don't mix!

just thought I'd post this link:

http://www.do-it-yourself-joint-pain-relief.com/big-toe-joint-pain.html

I found it really useful to sort out a problem I had with my big toe, sorted it out straight anyway, it's got techniques for pretty much every joint, so hopefully you guys might find it useful!

• Options

Great to have some more new faces!  Keep us up to date with progress, I find it really motivating to see how everyone is doing!

Katt - another great parkrun! I cannot run on grass...no idea why!  Long grass would completely freak me out I think!!

My update...I just did day 1 of week 6!!!  2 x 10 minute runs.  I am SO SO chuffed that I did it!  Can't believe I did it all....6 weeks ago I couldn't cope with a minute!  So YAY me, I am so pleased with myself!

What are everyone's plans this week?

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Waves to everyone.  Welcome Ninja and Nicky to the happy gang.  Thank you for the joint pain relief link Ninja. 

Well done Nickymmm on coming to we6 and doing 2 x 10 minute runs.  you can do it ad you have to believe in yourself.  Its hard to imagine that we couldn't cope with a minute and huffed and puffed round that cycle path.  So be chuffed with everything you achieved.

Just been for a run this morning and ran for 52.38 minutes and managed 4.17 miles my longest ever run.  Average pace of a snail blistering 12.37 minute mile but I am happy with that.  Quite a strong wind and just enjoying the environment and running off the stress.

Plan to try and do another 4 miles later in the week, parkrun on Saturday and then I have signed up to do the poppy run in Rendlesham Forest on Sunday which is another 5k. 

How is everyone else going. x

• Options

I managed my longest run so far today, total of 33min run/walk (R12 W2 x2 and run 5min). Have two rest days then next run on Thursday. The hard part is going slow enough at the start so I still can run at the end, but I'm getting better at it!

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Well done Ninjaburger that is fab.  I use to set off way too fast and now going slower lol xx

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Another 4 miler under my belt - 4.14 miles in 51 minutes and a lovely head w all the way lol

Next run will be our parkrun and then on Sunday signed up to do the poppyrun.

How is everyone going?