Sunday 17th August 2014

Morning all. 

I am up and about early, preparing for the Sherrifmuir 11 today.  My pre-race routine includes eating 3 hours before the start, drinking an extra 2 pints of water and walking the dog!  

What do others do before races?

OH, enjoy the half today and same goes for anyone else racing.  image

Comments

• Morning

Fridays lyrics: John Farnham: 'You're the voice

Morning don: Aw ra best today mate. I thought it was a Half Marathon not an 11 miler.

Long shift yesterday meant I never got on here, so catch up soon

Back later

• Morning.

Unusual distance Donaldo. Race well. I make sure I breakfast at least an hour before the race starts, other than that - nothing!

Hope the weather is kind OH, doesn't feel like two years ago we were there and had that gorgeous day.

Feeling a little brighter this morning, must have slept better. Mobility is definitely improving, just frustrating that the arm isn't healing at all. I'm beginning to think about 30 minutes on the turbo but haven't dared raise the subject with Mark yet.......

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Go well Don, OH and any other racers.

Pre-race, something light a couple of hours before plus keep hydrated.

Lyrics: don't think so. Yesterday's were Football Crazy, which I remember being by Hall and MacGregor although I don't think that was the original. Thought the Scottish contingent might know!

What: not sure. Should manage something later.
    Why: feel rubbish again at the moment!

As is the weather...was hoping to go and watch some cricket today but looks rather unlikely!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • What: 13.1
    Why: local HM
    Lat rest Friday

weather looking better than forecast but due to deteriorate through the day

Run well at Sherrifmuir Don

Race preparations: get up in sufficient time to allow a relaxed preparation and breakfast. Gentle warm up.

LM.H get Mark to talk some sense into you!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning

Just watched the men's marathon, good race. Made me want to go and run 20 miles, unfortunately that's not going to happen for a while...

What: maybe some gardening, but very tired, so maybe not
    Why: OH is home today image  Have to go pick him up from the station
    Last hard: walking to town yesterday
    Lyrics: yup

LMH glad you are feeling better, but please don't push yourself too hard to early!

Good luck OH and Don.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Hiya, 

Good luck Don & OH
    Forever - have a mile race in 3 weeks, hope to be sharp for that, then XC season
    Don - nothing special pre race, breakfast as normal, and prefer to give myself more time, but that's about it.
    what - about 9 miles done with couple of club pals. Startled a young kite* that accompanied us for a few 100 yards, then disappeared only to be sitting in the middle of the path as we turned the next corner. Lost it through the hedge shortly after. 
    * According to the mug shots in my 'back garden bird watchers book'
    why - recovery
    last rest - 12 days
    last hard - track yesterday

• Don't worry guys, whilst the thought is there the ability isn't!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Don and OH.

Watched the marathon too and enjoyed it. Felt sorry for the Polish guy who made a gutsy surge early on just to crash and burn and DNF....

What: 7.5 blustery miles

Why: stomach issues preventing a proper long run today. No idea what it is but it's immune to Imodium :-/

Last hard: finishing yesterday's MLR

Last rest: Monday

Lyrics: seem familiar but can't place then right now
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Well...that was a race of two halves!  Two good halves though, just very, very different!

Here is the profile of the route - cruel in the extreme!

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/donaldshaw/hills_zps12cc64de.jpg

Added to that, the strong wind was blowing us out to the halfway point anddirectly against us for the last 5.5 miles.

The race started, uphill for first half mile - just took it easy, slotted into about 12th position - up and over for a first mile of 6:24 or so.  Taking advantage of the downhill and helpful wind, I knew I better leave something for the return but was still able to comfortably move up to 6th by halfway, after several 6 min miles. The fun was yet to begin, of course!

Turned around and started battling up the hill against the wind - absolutely brutal - almost immediately lost a place and about 100 yards on a chap from Perth. Kept calm though, just assuming that hills were his 'thing' and just fought hard at my own pace.  Was stunned to see mile 7 as 7:49 but not disappointed - the contrast between mile 5 (5:52) was epic!  At this stage, I thought it was remarkable that no-one else had caught me but everyone must have been feeling the same way.  I dug in and worked so, so hard in miles 8-11.  Everytime there was a flat but, I just pushed and pushed; everytime the wind dipped slightly, I increased my speed, only to be blasted seconds later, but that was fine.  I was really pleased with my ability to 'fight' today and I was gaining ground on the chap who overtook me at halfway.  He heard me at about 10.5 miles though and was able to put some distance between us by the end. So I finished in 72:31 in 7th position - delighted with the run in every sense and pleased that the runner in 8th was a long, long way back.

Here are the mile times to show the contrast.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/donaldshaw/times_zps0216de0a.jpg

A great race - I'll be back next year! image

• Your enjoyment shines through Donaldo.

That's a pain chickadee, maybe it's some thing that is already too far through the digestive process for the Imodium to work on?

Hope you're feeing less tired emzap and that your OH has made it home safely.

i walked down the stairs normally today, a little wobbly but safe enough.

• Mrs NoelMrs Noel ✭✭✭
    What: windy Salford Tri

Why: rude not to!

Last hard: today I guess

Last rest: Thursday

Lyrics am I being blind? Can't see them although I doubt I'll know them...

LMH hope the arm starts to improve. Did you sneak onto the turbo?

Donaldson, looks like a great race.
  • Mrs N - turbo is a pipe dream at the moment, couldn't even get on it in my current condition. I did PB the afternoon dog walk by ten minutes though.

How did it go OH?

• 2:00:01 for me. Was last but one in and last guy had opted to walk from midwayimage Got drenched during run down to startimage however remained dry for raceimage Still a personal course best and happy enough given my short training.

Biggest joy was the silverware in the house as Elspeth came back from injury to take the ladies Veteran Shield image

• A tough race and a great write up Don. Well done!image

• Today's stats:

8:48 flat
    9.23 up
    9.19 up
    8:46 down
    8:54 flat
    9:21 up
    9:59 up
    9:35 into wind
    9:56 into wind
    9:32 into wind
    9:35 into wind
    8:41 down

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

He he LMH only a runner can have a pb from dog walking!

Well done Don and OH great races there.OH last is nothing to be embarrassed by, as I'm always told, you beat those who didn't turn up image

OH is finally home image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

What: 2.6k off road.
    Why: good question! Legs didn't want to work. There's always tomorrow!

Great report Don: not my sort of course! And yours sounds a toughie, also, OH. Well done to your OH!

MrsN: today will have been a tough one in Salford, I imagine. Only live a few miles away as the crow flies and it hasn't been very pleasant very often today.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • So close to the two hours OH but nice to get the course best with less than ideal prep as you say.

Have a nice evening emzap image

All that driving taking it's toll Alehouse or your cold?

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

LMH: suspect it is a combination of things...driving, the weather, more running recently (last ten days have been the biggest since April, not that that is saying much. Or it could be my cold making my legs feel like jelly! I could have run a fair amount more today but it would have been flogging a dead horse and I may well have paid for doing more. Listening to my body!  Well done on the PB by the way!!

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Big day for me today, sounds like others had Biggins to! Way to go Don and OH. Nice running from the both of you!

What: 9 miles ish... Wasn't measuring or timing as was with a mate and chatting. Then about 4 hours of surfing image

Why: the freedom of Sunday!

Lyrics: nope

I think my core will benefit greatly from the surfing. Was knackered by the end.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Hiya, 
    Good work Don and OH on battling performances 
    Nice PB LmH, more to come I hope!
    Inspired by the gold rush in Switzerland, headed out for another easy 5 miles, legs weary but was nice to get some early evening sunshine.

• Tantalisingly close but gave it my all from just after 10mile when I glanced at Garmin showing 1:36. Still pleased enough for a course best after minimal preparation.

Even more pleased for Els who has had a huge boost image

Wind picked up further; glad we're not running this evening!

emzap indeed! Failed to mention that the guy walking held the all time Hoy HM record (and is very fond of telling this fact to everyone he meets)

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Well done OH and to your own OH!  image

Back to work tomorrow, gladly.  7 weeks is too long.

• Mrs NoelMrs Noel ✭✭✭
    LMH I love your PB - fabulous.

Ale, I got very lucky as the rain stopped as I went out on the bike. Perhaps between finding out my sports bra was broken and my chain falling off, the Triathlon Gods thought I'd had enough bad luck! It was horrendously windy though especially passing the IWM by the footbridges...
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Had a long day at work today  just a  cycle there and back and all day on my  feet

Well done to Donaldo and OH

Don I do particularly  like  odd  distances for races might have to make a note of that one