jobseekers allowance

I have been lucky in only being out of work for three weeks since I left school forty nine years ago. I was recently made redundant and realising it might be difficult to find a job at my age and would struggle to get by on jobseekers allowance I  took my work pension early. Big mistake as this is classed as income and I don,t qualify for jobseekers. On the bright side it gives me more time  to train and the gym is always empty when I go.

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Also on the bright side, you don't need to jump through all the hoops that are needed these days to get JSA. Seems most of them are designed to trip you up so you can be sanctioned.

And another thing, you are helping the government with its unemployment figures. Presumably you will now count as one of the army of "self-employed" who are the fastest-growing segment of the labour market but who I suspect are mostly guys like you (and me too, soon): made redundant and out of work but able to get by either on the redundy payout or drawing down the pension early.

Either way, enjoy your "active retirement-cum-self employment" and get into that gym image

• Just take pleasure that people who came here in a container will benefit from your 49 years of contributions despite being here for less than a day. 

• PC.... can you name one person getting here on a container that can actually claim Jobseekers allowance........It can not be done....

but still no harm in stirring things up is there..........

if you can spread enough lies to the right people I'm sure you can stir up a mob to attack some innocent person

• Jim.its a pain in the arse isn't it when these things happen.....doesn't seem far in anyway.....

years ago when working in the Brighton coop payroll dept we had a old lady who received a windows pension........her husband had tried to do the right thing......but because of service she was only getting a couple of pounds a week......

it was stopping her getting housing benefit and other help at the time due to the rules then.........she asked that we stopped paying her the pension.....but legally the company could not and had top keep on paying her the couple of pounds.....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Just take pleasure that people who came here in a container will benefit from your 49 years of contributions despite being here for less than a day. 

If you've done so well in life, why do you seem to envy these people?

🙂

• I don't envy them but I know how the Op feels when you can contribute all your life and when you need help you get a big FU and people get here for a few minutes and get everything.

• The kind of feeling that feeds the  average UKIP voter but I'm sympathetic to how they feel

• I never suggested they got Job Seekers seren nose. Why did you suggest that I said that?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'm simply glad I'm not them, or anyone who's desperate enough to ride a lorries's axle to who knows where?

The social infrastructure in the UK was devised at a time when we had money to piss, and no other bugger had the means to get here, even if they had wanted to.

Now they want. And now they have the means. 

The level of competition involved is extreme. I mean, if I had absolute zilch and had a choice between dying and duffing you up (metaphorically speaking) you would lose.

The brutal reality from the point of view of the newly arrived (In the country that treats animals better than some other countries treats its own people) is that if you've lived here your entire life. Why are you wanting and needing benefits and handouts.

You've had ample opportunity to get enough already.

🙂

• Why if they made it to the safety of the EU in the shape of Belgium did they feel the need to take the extra risk of getting to the UK ?
  • While I don't necessarily agree with it I can follow the logic that someone in receipt of a pension is arguably not a job seeker. 

• because english is the most spoken language on the planetimage

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

I thought it was Chinese/Mandarin.

• Sometimes you don't qualify for an allowance but still need to sign on until state pension age to have your national insurance contributions made so you get that.

• Why would someone in receipt of a pension not be looking for work.

• Lots of conclusions being jumped to here considering the latest reports say this:

Chief Inspector Peter De Waele said it was likely the people were already inside the container when it was dropped at Zeebrugge as it appeared "impossible" the group could have entered it during the hour it was at the port.

It is not known where the container, one of 64 aboard the P&O commercial vessel Norstream, originated, nor where the people inside it were heading.

Given that these people are thought to be trafficking victims, regardless of where they thought they were going (not necessarily the UK) they could have ended up anywhere - I'm pretty sure the traffickers didn't much care.

• Yes, as some of the details are starting to emerge it is looking like a sad case of racial hatred in Afghanistan and people being exploited by traffickers. 

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Yes, as some of the details are starting to emerge it is looking like a sad case of racial hatred in Afghanistan and people being exploited by traffickers. 

guess they didnt 'get everything' eh?

• Now they have arrived they will have everything.

• 13 of them are kids - what would you have happen to them?

• Send them back.... Otherwise the British tax payer is going to be funding them for decades
  • You don't think they might get an education, a job and pay taxes of their own?

But given that you have a propensity to think the worst of everyone - no, I don't suppose you could envisage that. How silly of me.

You know, sometimes it actually makes me glad that this sort of thing pisses you off.

As desperate, persecuted people, personally, I don't mind "funding" them.

• But it doesn't piss me off, a little ambivalent to them.

Chances of all 13 getting jobs and paying tax ? Not much, bordering on none
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I never knew there were Sikhs in Afghanistan. Now that I do, I'm wondering why they didn't head for India instead. A large Sikh community and a functioning democracy. Culturally, climatically and geographically much closer. Why did they cross the world and numerous safe countries, and head for the UK? And why did they think they can bypass the normal immigration procedures and instead gatecrash?

• Cos we are soft touch, with people like scream rolling out the red carpet
  • Think what you like - I'm just glad I'm not a petty Little Englander.

Mutts - for all we know at the moment they might have thought they were on their way to India.  All we know is that someone took their money and put them in the back of a shipping container. 

• Fortunately I was born in a place where I can think what I like and even comment on open fora in the same way
  • But you're happy to deny that to other people who want the same thng? Nice.