jobseekers allowance

13»

Comments

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Not really wanting to get involved with the whole immigrant things, I find it slightly ironic that after arriving from Afghanistan having travelled through the civilised land that is Belgium they end up in Basildon via Tilbury.

• Scream - you really are losing the plot. The Sikhs in Afghanistan can leave into India any day they wish and in fact many do so each day. The Taliban discrimination has been going on for decades and there is no evidence it is getting worse. To imply there is a possible Holocaust is unfounded. Never done this before but you aren't even worth discussing this with. Repulsive.

• Dave - I have many Sikh friends and you may be surprised to know that about 50% of the guys  actually cut their hair.

• I lived in Coventry for 30 years and for along time playing league hockey. Many Sikhs in the league. Kahalsa, Sikh Union

Best left back I ever played with was a Sikh and every time we went to the Isle of Man festival he demonstrated the art of drinking unsuspecting white men under the table
  • Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Scream - you really are losing the plot. The Sikhs in Afghanistan can leave into India any day they wish and in fact many do so each day. The Taliban discrimination has been going on for decades and there is no evidence it is getting worse. To imply there is a possible Holocaust is unfounded. Never done this before but you aren't even worth discussing this with. Repulsive.

They are still discriminated against and not allowed to practice some aspects of their religion, their main place is worship is also under threat. 

If you disagree that level of persecution isn't worth leaving for, that's fine. If you disagree with the method of their leaving or their destination, that's also fine.

But to find it "repulsive" because I suggest you are well aware where this sort of stuff can lead (and has frequently led both before and after World War Two) is bonkers, frankly, and I'm glad you don't want to discuss it any more.

• Scream - you are losing it big time. I never said they shouldn't leave Afghanistan, That is a choice many make and mostly they go to India. I also never made any comment on whether the current immigrants should be allowed to stay in UK or not given I know nothing of their case, I suspect it will come out they are Indian rather than Afghani but time will tell.

What I find repulsive is how you liken the plight of the Sikh to that of the Jews in the Holocaust. Go read about both cases, and I don't mean the usual 5 minute google you do on every subject, and you may come to realise yours posts on here make you out to be a rather ignorant person.

• Dave - I have had the pleasure to go to a few Sikh weddings, mainly in Wolverhampton but did attend one in Nottingham once. At everyone there has either been bottles of whiskey on every table or glasses of whiskey lining the bar. According to my mate this is a custom that sprung up shortly after the first generation migrated here in a bid to fit in image

• MPNW: what I am saying is that it may not be clear to us when and why people flee. You seem to be saying that they should have left sooner or stayed put.

Doubtless people have fled (or tried to flee) other "low level" persecutions because they could see what was coming or, at least, didn't want to take a chance on what might happen. At the very least, even if they do not actually fear life and limb, why should they continue stay and suffer discrimination. Would you? 

That the Jewish Holocaust was the biggest and most tragic (and I have read several books about it) does not mean that is was the only one. The mass killing of Muslims in the former Yugoslavia and the Rwandan genocide spring to mind.

Maybe you have your own reasons for being so emotive about this, I don't know. I'm only looking at what history tells me - and maybe they are too. Given what has happened frequently in the past would you stay and take your chance that the government will protect you while continuing to suffer discrimination at least, death at worst? Or would you leave?

• Scream - you are amazing. I haven't said anyone should or shouldn't leave Afghanistan. However, I am intrigued that you so easily believe the current immigrants in the container, have come here because of persecution. The facts of the case haven't yet been established and it may take months to do so given they are unlikely to have passports. They may be escaping persecution or they may simply be wanting to migrate to the UK (plenty risk lots to do so each year).

Love the way that anyone who disagrees with you is being 'emotive'.

Are you seriously asking me if I would flee from genocide????? Of course I would, what a rather fucked up question.

• MPNW: I completely agree with you, we don't know why, but in general, shiny, happy people don't pay a dodgy charlatan to travel halfway across the globe.

If they truly thought that was the way to a better life you have to wonder what it was that made them think that.

Of course you would flee genocide - but I'm pretty sure you would also leave if you were being discriminated against in other ways too - my point is that you don't have to be in fear of your life to want to up and leave.

Apparently police think there are another 12 of them in a container that hasn't been found yet. That's not likely to end well.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Dave - I have many Sikh friends and you may be surprised to know that about 50% of the guys  actually cut their hair.

Im pretty sure there exist catholics who eat meat on Fridays too. Whisper it, but some muslims like a drink and some hindus eat beef!
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Dave - I have had the pleasure to go to a few Sikh weddings, mainly in Wolverhampton but did attend one in Nottingham once. At everyone there has either been bottles of whiskey on every table or glasses of whiskey lining the bar. According to my mate this is a custom that sprung up shortly after the first generation migrated here in a bid to fit in image

Also the wedding is considered invalid if there isn't  a punch up at some point.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Rik - your problems with people seem to be rooted in the cars they drive

Seeing a young successful guy with a turban blast a great car up a hill. Where's the problem, it looked impressive.

Anyway, what's any of this to do with jobseekers allowance? Its not as if it amounts to much.

🙂

• 72 quid a week....

When I was deigning on last year there was 3 of us used to turn up at the same time, a guy in a a Cayman, one in an M3 and me in the Quattro ....

We did say that our JSA would pay to fill any of the cars up !