Race to the Stones 2015

14567810»

Comments

• Kritter , I did the 100k and it was great . My usual distance Is 50 mile so this was a nice extra bit . Can't fault the organisation & was a great atmosphere , fab weather ( I like it hot ) and a generally all round good event . Particularly for those not confident on nav side of things . You'll enjoy it image
  • I did my first marathon in October and I really enjoyed it so I’m looking for my next challenge! After vowing to never to do an ultra, I’m slowly changing my mind...

I keep looking at this race and as a complete ultra novice I have a million questions to ask.

Is it good for beginners? From what I can see the support seems awesome which is really appeals to me as it makes it a bit less terrifying!

What have been peoples experiences of doing the 100km and the 50km? I like the idea of doing it over two days and camping but I’m having visions of waking up on Sunday dreading running again.

And training!? Where do you even begin? Back to back long runs? I’m not much of a trail runner but would definitely like to do more of it, I live in the city centre with no trails close by and I don’t drive. Would I be fine road running during the week and getting the bus or train out to places at the weekends for my long runs? Has any one followed a particular training plan? From what I’ve read training is more about time on your feet rather than aiming for distance...

Eek! Temptation is building...

• I entered the 2 x 50k this year as my first ultra and unfortunately I was injured on the lead-up to it so I couldn't get the training in that would've got me round, so I just did the first day. I will never enter a two-day ultra again although I have done double marathons on five occasions. It's just too far to want to go all the way back and do it again the next day, and I find trial is so much harder than road as well. I have entered the full 100k this time having only done the one 50k before, and I think at least when I finish it will be done and dusted, I can die in peace knowing that I don't have to move a muscle again for a long long time!! image

• Thank you for your advice!

I am starting to sway towards the one day 100k. With the exception of walking down stairs I felt surprisingly good the day after my marathon, I was happily walking about and stuff but I definitely would have struggled to run! So maybe all in one go would be a better option...

What attracts me to the 2 day event is the fact that it looks like a mini holiday for like minded crazy runners image

• Emmatron, it depends what experience you are looking for . Obviously if you do the 100 over 2 days then you have the experience of meeting runners in the evening & getting to know people ..but as you've said it means getting up & doing over a marathon the next day again.

If you have little trail experience then I'd be aware of the fact that your times will be longer & your body may feel very different after 26 miles on trail than it does after 26 on a road , so don't underestimate this . Trail terrain on RTTS varies from grass , bridle path, chalk Flint , cobbled stone, woods , fields to mud . Try to get some training in on proper off road trail , by that I mean national trails & wilderness , not a park or bits of grass .
  • Also don't forget that if you run the 100k straight through its highly likely you will be running some of it in the dark , this again needs practice when running off road . Practise with head torch is wise as perception of distance & balance are affected when dark .
  • Oooh I never even thought about the running at night situation!

• I prefer the non stop.  Starting again in the morning means your body has stiffened up overnight and you still have the other half to go which can be quite demoraling. 

Also there is something special about night running (o.k. waddling in my case).  The Ridgeway can be quite magical at night - you are quite high up and the chalk path sections are luminous needing relatively little additional lighting - although of course you might need it at some point.  Seeing the sunrise (weather permitting) is a wonderful exerience.

Pushing yourslf beyond normal limits is also something quite special - you go from points of exhaustion to exhiliration - and back again.  I think you find out more about yourself than you ever expected.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• The last stretch from Barbury to Avebury is very dark , the only light to be seen was the finish gantry way in the distance so I'd highly recommend head torch or you risk broken/ twisted ankles on the last descent into Avebury. The terrain was uneven with quite deep ruts in the track .
  • I have to withdraw from race and have 2 day place plus camping to sell. Will accept ??100 and I will pay admin fee to change place. great price. Great saving !!
  • I'm needing a 100k place straight through if anyone's selling !
  • Hi Carolh do you still have your 2 day place for sale??
  • Hi Guys, What sort of footwear you all use? Trail, Road or Fell?

Currently building my mileage up, but will be buying new offroad shoes, currently run in INOV8 X-Talon 3 years old now so previouse yellow model, only a 6mm drop, love them for short off road muddy races. Looking to do an Ultra this year, mate of mine is doing RTTS 2016, may sign up id places available, just need to way up what kit I need to buy.

• If it's dry weather like last year then I wouldn't say trail / fell shoes are essential at all. Road shoes would be fine . If wet then I'd say mudclaw , X talon or Salomon are good to go image
  • As for weighing up kit requirements then it's pretty minimal even for 100k , the aid stations are only 6-7 miles apart . Race vest handy to carry extra layer if rainy or chilly & any personal preference regarding fuel/ hydration but other than that it's not essential
  • Peter , sign up for RTTS . You won't be disappointed with the route
  • Road shoes will be fine if it's dry, it was as solid as a rock out there last year. You don't need much kit at all but last year it was really hot and I was getting through 4 small flasks of water between aid stations, I use the 4-bottle Nathan belt, don't underestimate how much water you may need for this one because a lot of it is completely unsheltered so the sun really is relentless if it's a hot day.

• Have you signed up ?
  • Not yet, need to look at finances little nearer to the time, may see if a cancellation comes up cheap! Training well under way, so will defo do an Ultra this year or many of them, have some trail marathons booked already end of May. Currently need to get new off road shoes and waterproof jacket so that £250 so see how work comes in to when i can book my place!

• Hi, did anyone do the overnight camping last year? Just wondered if you can request a tent in a particular place (i.e.. as far away from the 'entertainment' as possible!) Thanks

• Hi folks. I've signed up for the 100k for the first time this year. I'm not sure how long it'll take me, but I'm hazarding a guess about 14/15 hours. Which means I'll be finishing late at night or early in the morning. I see from the email they sent that the last shuttle bus to Swindon leaves at 9:30pm. Do you know if there are any facilities at the finish for runners who finish during the night? Or do I just have to sit in a field until the first bus in the morning? I'd book a local taxi, but I can't give them a time because I really don't know exactly when I'll finish.

• I'm in too. Never done an ultra or much trail running and it's going to take me forever. I liked the sound of all the stations, not having to navigate and as there are walkers I can always just walk it if things go that badly. Am going to park at Avebury which will involve something like a 4 am start and hideous bus journey but would like my car at the end. I was also wondering if there's somewhere to lie down at the end if you need some time before trying to drive home!! I guess sleeping in the car is an option. 

Starting training plan next weekend which will make it all a bit more real!

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Just created a new thread for RTTS 2016 continuing from this page guys n gals image

Thought it would be easier for anyone new to the event looking for this years race / thread image .... Bouncing to new page Race to the stones 2016 !