Options

Race to the Stones 2015

Comments

• Options

Re: transport arrangement.  I  checked with the organisers as last year transport was provided from the finish up to the start.  Their reply:

Yes, there will be transfer from the finish to the start early on the Saturday morning. We are currently finalising timetables and pricing for this, which we will look to announce to participants in the Spring.    This is a service that will need to be pre-booked, therefore please do keep an eye on your emails for when the bookings go live. 
  • Options

I've signed up for RTTS 2015 for the non stop one day option. Have done one marathon before several years ago. This seemed like a massive challenge. I am also signed up for A Coventry Way 40 miler in April. The prices I noticed are dramatic i.e. £15 for Coventry and £100 for RTTS but hey I'm in now anyway. I managed to cobble together a training plan for a 50 miler to set me up for Coventry at the end of April but that then leaves me without a plan for May - Mid July. Any ideas as they seem elusive on t'internet! I am not sure if just to proportionally "big up" my 50 mile plan or whether I need to do something different. My plan has two tough weeks and one light, you run long on Sat and then again on Sun.

• Options

Anyone for a discounted ticket for Race to the Stones 2015?

I have had to cancel my booking, annoyingly. Ticket is for the non stop option. £119 is the price on their site. I am willing to sell for £100, or open to negotiation! Race to the Stones have confirmed that they will do the admin to switch it to someone else, so all legit!

Let me know if anyone interested.

Philip 

• Options

PS - I will throw in with the discounted ticket some training tips for free! Having done Trailwalker Hong Kong twice (same idea as Race to the Stones - 100km non stop), Trailwalker UK once and Marathon des Sables and Gobi March (Racing the Planet), I have a few handy suggestions for training and for the event itself. 

• Options

I ran the RTTS last year and stayed in a B+B relatively close to the finish (Beckhampton) and took the bus to the start. The race finishes on a farm and the facilities aren't that bad. There was hot food, drinks and shelter and I think even some showers. However personally I would recommend either buddying up and having a car at the start and finish or leaving a car at the finish and taking the bus in the morning as it's going to be a 2 hour drive back to start which to me doesn't seem like the ideal way to start your post race recovery. Especially assuming that buses will only leave at certain times which means you might have to wait even longer. 

Around the finish you're pretty much in the middle of nowhere, there's a pub about half a mile from the finish but nothing else.

• Options

FWo - thanks for the heads up on that.  i had a feeling the transport at the end will be interesting. 

• Options

Car parking and shuttle bus email arrived this morning. I'm booked into a B and B near the finish for the night before, then have parking at the finish and a shuttle from Avebury to the start booked for 5am on the Sat morning.

I have an estate car so am planning on throwing a sleeping bag and mat in, and can then sleep in the back if I find I need to before driving home. Being as I expect to finish in the middle of the night, I think it's likely that I will need it!

• Options

I am booked into a B&B near the finish (Beckhampton B&B), situated opposite a pub serving good pub grub image  - for the Friday night and the Sunday night as I can't think I will be wanting to drive afterwards.  Calling around last night, most of the B&Bs are full, so if anyone was thinking of booking accommodation in the area, it would be a good idea to do it quickly.

First time doing this race and really looking forward to it!  Not given myself that long to prepare but will have done a couple of trail marathons in the months before and a couple of B2Bs. I am relying on the fact that the race caters for walkers too so I can always start walking  once my legs are reduced to jelly! image

• Options

Kaly, I stayed in the Beckhampton B&B last year it was really good. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to get to the shuttle in the morning, I almost missed the shuttle bus because I didn't factor in the extra mile or so from the stones to the actual finish location. 

Oh and if you're planning to walk back to Beckhampton after the race it might be easier to walk back along the main road instead of on the footpath through the fields. I took a wrong turn (I finished in about 13 hours so it was quite dark by the time I walked back) and ended up adding almost an extra hour of walking to my journey which wasn't what I needed after running my first 100k. image

• Options

I ran RTTS last year and ducked out at the 40ish mile checkpoint, would highly recommend it, well I say that, I'm doing non-stop again this year so it can't of been that bad! Good checkpoints, decent supplies at each one, nice undulating terrain, I usually prefer road to trail, but made do, was a wash out last time with some real heavy thunder so hoping for a dry run this time!

All I would add is don't stay at the cherry tree B&B - they couldn't be bothered to do us breakfast which was a real disappointment.

Not sure on shuttle as I didn't need it last time, but I'm solo this year so am looking into options....

• Options

Just book accommodation for the friday night  and will get the early bus to the start.  

Hope all your training is going to plan!

• Options

FWo thanks for the advice image Maybe I should take the b&b owners on their offer to pick me up!  Not sure I could crawl another metre after doing 100k!

Is anyone else struggling to book the shuttle?  The link won't seem to take me to the right place?

• Options

The reason I've not entered this year is though although the event itself is great the travel arrangements are a bit of a nightmare.  I'm doing the Chiltern Challenge 50K instead.  It's on the same Saturday, price similar to the Race to the Stones one day option, but this includes a shuttle bus to and from Princes Risborough station.

• Options

Bear B.Hind - i agree, the sorting of transport and parking has been a monumental faff.  The running part will be the easiest...............

Shocked the bus transfer is £25 plus £10 to park the car.  oh well

• Options

Last year had to wait nearly 3 hours for a transfer to Swindon station having arrived at the finish at some time before 7a.m. (Bear's a waddler!) The barn waiting area was ok, but for someone suffering from hypothermia or some other problem it would not have been ideal

• Options

Just ten weeks to go now! How's everybody getting on with training? I'm winging it a bit to be honest. Am just mixing it up during the week with some hills, speedwork, medium distance runs and then doing a good long run on the weekend. Have done a couple of 20 milers so far and have a couple of marathons over the next six weeks, but don't plan to go over marathon distance in training, although I will probably do a longish run the day before my second marathon in June, to tire the legs out a little bit to make it harder.

• Options

Just saw from my first post that I was planning on doing a 40 miler in the run up. That ain't happening!

• Options

That sounds very close, how time flies.  Training has been slow due to injury and had planned on a marathon before hand but there are not many around before the race.

will just train best i can and go from there.  

• Options
    MisfitMisfit ✭✭✭

Due to a knee injury which currently has me on stop, realistically I'm not going to be able to do this event.....so I have a non-stop place for sale If anyone is interested.

price to enter is £119 but will sell for less and will pay the transfer fee.

• Options
    And as mentioned previously, I also have a place for sale - non stop - at discount as well.
  • Options

Hi there, I've just signed up for this (first ever ultra) and was wondering from people who have run it before what they feel the best choice for footwear is. Trail shoes would be the obvious choice but given that it will probably be quite hot, and therefore not muddy, would road shoes be okay? I much prefer running in my lightweight road shoes!

I'm doing the 1 day km option.

Thanks

• Options
    Hi Ed,
    I completed the one day option of 100km in 2013 and 2014. 2013 was very hot. In 2014 there were some thunderstorms mid way through. Both times I had road shoes (Brooks Adrenaline), and these were fine throughout. The Ridgeway does become rutted in places for the last 20 miles or so, and the ruts will be there whatever the whether. Hope this helps.

• Options

Cheers - good to know road shoes will do.  

p.s. was meant to say 1 day 100km option in my original post! 

• Options
    Philip Riches - I am planning on entering this event in the next few days (once I've sorted out the rather complicated logistics!). I can't message you through here but if you read this in time and still have your entry space I can take it off your hands provided they can swap it over to me.
  • Options

That's come out weird. It's just the last bit after the ] 

• Options
    CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

How is everyones training going?   Getting a little concerned how close the race is.  EEK. 

Getting a long run in this weekend but still feel the 20 miler is just not long enough. 

• Options
    Philip - I'm really sorry but in the last 10 minutes my running buddy and I have decided to do the chiltern 50k instead, because the organising of the race to the stones was just too complicated with the traveling and shuttle buses etc. I hope you find someone else to take the entry - have you tried one the Facebook ultra running Community page? Sorry I can't help this time.