Race to the Stones 2015

Comments

• I am having a total wobble over this now.  I am entered for the 2 x day option inc overnight base camp and I just havent done enough training!  

I can complete the first day ok as have just done a tough trail marathon and felt good, but doubt I can do 100k and think I will just get injured. Is anyone else in the same boat?  If I fast walked the second day, any idea how long that would take?  I looked at the results but wasnt sure if they would be mainly hard core race walkers (and I would be a lot slower) or if that was quite indicative of a "normal" fit walking speed.  I know it wil be a finger in the air answer but anything will help.

Then I need to decide if I am doing the one day 50k, or the full thing!

PS a room at the Beckhampton B&B at Avebury for Fri and Sun night may also be up for grabs (if I change my entry).

So confused and no idea what to do!

• Why don't you contact the organisers direct?  I think you will find the cut off time for day 2 is quite generous.

This is what I most dislike about this event.  Organisation on day brilliant.  Information pre event piss poor due their apparently sole reliance on arse book.  Why they do not send e mail information and updates as do most other race organisers? 

All the best.

• Thanks Bear B. Hind.  I did send an email to the organisers and was referred to their online FAQs - which hasnt answered the question!

Have decided to stick with it (for now)

• Kaly

It's normal to have wobbles!  I did last year; I had never run more than a marathon before, and so didn't know how I would cope on day 2.  The answer is "surprisingly well."  As soon as you get to base camp on day 1, get yourself showered and then go and get a massage booked in - I think all overnighters are allowed a free one.  That'll help you greatly.  Then, eat (oh boy, there is so much food), drink and chill.  

If you have to walk day two, it won't matter - last year, there were all abilities doing it and I am sure it'll be the same this.  Some walked day one too, and they were still being clapped in at 9pm, 13 hours after the start.  So, whilst I am sure that you will be OK to run/walk, if it all has to be walked sobeit, it won't matter.  I reckon you'll be surprised at how well you feel on the Sunday; as their strapline goes "more is in you."

See you a week Saturday!

Cheers

• It actually does say on the FAQs that the day 2 cut off is 14 hours which allows for a fairly leisurely ambleimage.

• They were also pretty laid back about what time we started day two last year; I think it should have officially been 7am, but I was gone (after a full English!) by 6am.

• When I entered the two-day option I had one goal and that was to do both days without walking. Now i'll just be glad to complete the thing. I've done back to back marathons (once) and I was surprised at how mobile I was once I got going on the second day, I didn't go flat out on day 1 but I was still going at a good pace. I intend to just take it easy on day one and then see how day 2 goes, there will be walking and I don't care what time the cut off is, if I don't get picked up by a sweeper bus or an ambulance then I will keep going til I see the finish line!

• Wow, a week from now I'll be crapping myself and trying to get all my shit together to head over to Avebury. Can't believe how quickly it's come round.

Just two days ago, on the hottest day of the year, I spent all day in bed feeling utterly dreadful. No idea what it was but I was absolutely shattered, nauseous, headache and sweats. The weather was unbearable. Laying there then, the thought of doing 100k (I think of nothing else at the moment!) in 10 days was impossible. I was almost convinced I'd be pulling out I felt so bad. Now, two days later, I'm completely recovered and felt fresh as a daisy on a 6 miler this morning.

Just thinking about all the stuff I have to sort out before next weekend. Food, headtorch (haven't used it in months and am not even sure where it is), etc.

Forecast looks good anyway. 20 degrees, sunny intervals.

• Blimey, glad that things have improved for you from Wednesday - better this week than next, eh!  

Food wise, I'm not going to take much beyond emergency rations - the CPs are very well stocked with goodies I'd say.  Headtorch - yep, that needs to be recharged after a nighttime run a few weeks ago (Birdlip - Wotton; know the area CotswoldRunner?!).  

From that run, I also realised how quickly I chilled off when it got "proper dark", so I am planning on having some kind of extra clothing ready (as well as what I'll have at the end itself).  Crazy that I have also bought a suncap and sunglasses too!

So much to think about; when did running get this complicated?

Fingers crossed that forecast stays about the same; no hotter, I hope, but dry.

• I know it well gloshawk. Cotswold Way is a regular stomping ground for me.

Yes, despite feeling so bad, I was at least able to see the benefit of it coming when it did, rather than much closer. Hopefully that's all out of the way now.

I'm not taking a huge amount of food but I like to have a bit of variety with me.

I know what you mean about complicated. The additional distance just makes it so much more important to cover all eventualities.

• This time next week, I'll be bricking myself on the start line. Ready to go twice as far as I've ever been before. As Penfold would say "Oh crumbs!"

• I was having similar thoughts at various points yesterday Alastair. This time next week I'll be at the start, I'll be 20 miles in, I'll be finished (hopefully!). God these races take over your life don't they?

Did my last run of any real distance yesterday. Ten miles, pretty easy. 4 miles very easy this morning and then it will be just a few very gentle, short leg stretchers during the week.

Just logistics to worry about now! My main concern, is there a toilet on the coach?!

• One thing I haven't done yet is any runs at the pace I'll be going on the day. Even the run/walk LSR's I've done have been at 12 minute miles. Might have to make sure my last couple of short easy ones are done at race pace, just to see what it feels like.

• LOL. This time next week I'll be walking like an 80 year old cowboy. Did my last longish run 11 miles this morning. Must say it felt great. Can't believe that I now consider 11 miles to be a little run!

CotswaldRunner: pacing is going to be so difficult at the start. I know I'll get caught up running at everyone else's pace. MUST stay focused. 

I'm to do one more run on Tuesday then that's it.

Come on everyone, we're nearly there!

• I've got the Frampton 10k tomorrow night - planning on taking that steady and then that'll be me until Sat I reckon. On the 5am bus from the finish back to the start - it all makes for a v long day!!
  • I am such a half-arser compared to you lot, I'm doing the two-day option and still bricking it! I've had to stick in two 60-mile weeks and just hope that I can get to the end on race day, normally I'd be tapering for at least 2 weeks before a marathon, now it's the longest race I've ever run and i've whacked in a 60 mile week the week before, and all I can do is chuckle and pray!

This week I am doing a 5k race and that's about it until the weekend.

See you on the start line!!

• See you there heroine. Try and put your feet up either side of the 5k!

• Hey runners,

my husband is running the first half and I'm running 100k non-stop. Ive read through the instructions many times, but it doesn't specify anything about people running the first day only.  Do they finish at the base camp and then get collected there, or is there another stop for people doing just the one day?

Thank you and sorry if I missed it.

kristin

• Applicable to: 100km route over 2 days (incl. overnight stay),  the start point for Day 2 only participants, Day 1 incl. overnight and Pre Overnight + Day 2.

The Day 1 incl. bit confused me, thought they meant only if you were camping. Got it!

Thanks

• purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

So...last minute thoughts on shoes - trail or road? Can anyone that's done all or part of this before share some thoughts on the terrain? I'm hoping to go for road as the cushioning would be very welcome over that distance! What do people think?

• Unless it has been raining heavily then I would go for road.  The terrain after Goring changes from clay to chalk.  Trail shoes are best for muddy clay, but lethal on chalk especially when wet.

• I'm still undecided on shoes. I'm leaning towards trail, because they're my favourite in terms of comfort, but they are getting on a little and have a couple of splits that let in dust and grit. I don't think grip's going to be an issue at all - I've been doing all my trail runs in road shoes over the last few weeks to try and preserve my trail shoes.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

the grit n stuff getting in could be the biggest issue CR if they are your most comfy shoes i'd say a new pair but it's a bit late to get a pair and wear them in!

It's going to be solid so all down to comfort, can you take a pair of road shoes to change into at halfway if you find they aren't working for you or vica versa?

• Yes, I might shove the road shoes in my bag if there's room - they weigh bugger all. Unfortunately, they don't make my trail shoes (New Balance 101) any more otherwise I'd have a new pair ready to go. I was hopeful they'd make it OK and have been looking after them (only wearing when strictly necessary) but they're just a touch more worn than I'd like. I'd like to wear them because they're the most comfortable piece of footwear of any type I've ever worn! If I'd been more organised I'd have bought a different pair a few months back to get them worn in but now have to work with what I've got.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

spare socks n shoes would be one thing first in my drop bag, just to be on the safe side. If you get that far and have foot problems it's a heck of a long way to still go image

• I'm going for road shoes, I want the cushioning and as far as I'm aware it hasn't rained in that neck of the woods for a while so the trail should be solid. I've just looked at the forecast and both days look to be scorchers, but there's a 50% chance of showers on Sunday. If it's not a downpour I still think that road shoes should be ok.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I think you'd need days of rain to make it trail shoes image

• If it's rain on Sunday then def. go for road shoes.  As for drop bag - have you got someone meeting you as I think you'll find that for the non stop the bag will be taken straight to the finish, unless they've changed tha arrangements this year.

• Is anyone staying in Beckhampton or Avebury and can give me a lift to the 5:30AM shuttle bus at Rutland Farm please?  I am staying at the Beckhampton B&B.

No taxis will come out to take me at that time in the morning and I am a bit stuck!

Thankyou image