How should I train to improve my 1/2 marathon time?

So, a 5k ten days ago in 22:15. This gave a "projected" time of about 1h45 for the GNR yesterday. But I actually managed 1h55 and I think I was pretty much flat out (I wasn't zigzagging around too much). It was very warm but I don't think this would have affected my time so much (would it?).

So how to close the gap? I'm thinking the simple answer is... longer training runs. I mostly train only up to 10-15k. Is this the simple answer?

Comments

• And more training, too, probably.

• Dave, take a look at some half marathon training plans which are widely available on the web and see how they build both miles and intensity, and also how they structure the running over a week. It may be that you've been training flat out all the time which is less than optimal. Try one of the plans if it looks achievable to you, but a better idea is to build training through the race distances. So train well for a 5k, then a 10k before tackling a half.

Heat does affect your performance, and there is a calculator for this somewhere online (I forget where, but google remembers).

It's hard to convert times from 5k to 13.1 miles without training to the distance - I think most running calculators include this as a disclaimer. However the calculator will give you some good guidance on paces to exercise at for various kinds of training runs. It may well be that you are biased towards the shorter distances too but unfortunately you won't know until you've trained properly for a long distance.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

5k draws more on your ability to grit your teeth and run hard than do 10k and half marathon. The latter need to to improve your lactate threshold and base aerobic capacity.

so long slow runs and tempo runs.

• Dave, the GNR is tough! And I would say that that heat certainly didnt help.

I was aiming for 1:45 too and completed a "pace pace" 10k the Sunday before in under 50min, this while taking it easy and feeling pretty comfortable at the end of it.

Fast forward to the GNR and at the 10k point I was completely ruined and already 2 minutes slower than my "easy" 10k time.

Time for a rethink on longer training runs or more hills before next year's GNR, and maybe a flatter half marathon first to boost the confidence!

• Dave, Warm conditions and a packed course Imade early decision to run on feel as opposed to going for the 1h30 target and enjoyed the race for what it was and settled for a small PB in just under 1h33. GNR is not the race to hit a target time.

AS JD41 suggests a flatter HM would do wonders for a PB and confidence but more importantly a hillier one around six weeks before hand for a good hill work out to make the GNR feel somewhat easier next year.

• (obviously that was meant to say "race pace")

How much rest are you guys having after the GNR before starting running again? I was thinking 2 weeks (with the only running being a 15 min recovery run on tuesday to ease the soreness) but not sure if I'm being overly generous, as I finished without injury.

• I've had sore hams all week but feeling better now. Hitting the bike today then first run tomorrow.

• Dave, in a similar boat to you and I asked a similar question on another thread. 5k runs 23mins, 10k 47 mins GNR a few weeks ago 1.51. Was hoping for as close to 1.45 as possible. Trained to 15k and run no more than twice a week. GNR day was hot, much more hilly than I was expecting but realise to go quicker I need to put more long runs in and add a third run in. Not what i wanted to hear!! 

• The best way to train for a half-marathon is to train for a full marathon but without racing one. A weekly long run and steady increase in mileage will reap great rewards.