Running holidays - would you?

Has anyone been on a running holiday? What was it like? What would it take for you to go on one? 

My ideal would be self catering, run leader to meet you and take you on a run a day. Rest of day for you to do what you like with. Somewhere with fab scenery and landscapes, some challenging runs. If don't want to run don't have to. Group size of around 5-10. 

Comments

• Like the idea, but sod self catering I want a personal chef, stuffing me full of lovely food image 

• My ideal holiday is sat down doing nothing. Eating and drinking as much as I like.

I spend 50 weeks of the year training hard so I like my holidays to be relaxing.
  • Best way to do a running holiday is to do what Drunken Euphoria On Tour does, plan a loooong few days run with a B&B or pub as a location to sleep each night, if possible get a friend or two to go with you image 

• I think that many people choose a holiday based on other criteria, then have a look and see what running opportunities have been presented to them!

That can be interesting for sure!

• Went to Club La Santa in Lanzarote in 2006 with my local run club..... it was brill, they cater for loads of different sports and there's an itinery when you arrive for that week, so you can book what activities you would like to do.

Check out clublasanta.com 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Wonderful idea as long as you can guarantee that you will be able to run without injury, incurring injury, illness or any other physical problem, from one end of the holiday to the other.

Also that you can run as fast, as often and as far as required at any point in time, also guaranteed.

The idea presents the same problems as discovered by 'Marathon Tourists'. They jog about a bit and then decide to book marathon races all over the world. And then get injured and cannot actually run at all. 

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Joakin Phoenixs greatest fan wrote (see)

Are you speaking from experience there Ric F? I never had you down as the type to wander the world entering marathons.

Just the experience of listening to runners who had never been injured before, bemoaning the fact that they had all these races lined up and paid for, and what a waste of money it now was.

Distance running is risky. I wouldn't bet on it.

🙂

• I took out an insurance policy with Aviva that covered me for high risk injury sports abroad and adventure racing, my sister sorted it out for me if I remember correctly........ it was not very much, under £30, I think!!

• we must of all entered a race and fallen ill to onjury or illness.......the further from home it it ... the bigger it hits the pocket.

I think the idea of the holidays are good......It would be better if a group of friends or club members went and booked your own thing.........many cycling clubs go abroad on spring to get some long cycling days in in drier weather.....

but for those without clubmates or friends available at the right time then an organised one would be great .....if you like running in company.........some people prefer to run on their own and so would find the idea a bit horrific

• Yeah I agree.... you can get injured outside your front door or a thousand miles from home anywhere...... obviously the latter would cause more logistical problems!!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

The costs can depend on how you booked it originally though (much like any other break away), so cancelling an event that is abroad may not cost that much.  I.E., pay a bit more upfront and you can get a fully refundable room.  Pay a bit more up front or fly with a more reputable carrier, and you may be able to get a refund or (for a relatively small admin fee) move the flights to another time to coincide with a different race.  Some races you can defer your entry to the year after, so don't lose out there.  I suppose it's all relative, but the costs of not turning up to a race don't necessarily have to be eye watering.

Back to the OP, I don't think I would go on an organised running holiday.  Like others have said, we book our holiday and think about running options either whilst booking or after we've booked.  For example, last year we went to Annecy and there are some cracking routes around there.  Plenty of hilly, off road trails if that's your thing, but also a flat route around the lake.

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Depends what you mean by running holiday... I've been to the USA a few times recently and incorporated a race with a holiday. It's a fantastic way to see the world and do some running, meet new people etc. I call them "destination races" which came from the "destination restaurant" term image

• If you do an overseas ultra, you should always takes some time to hang out with the local runners. 

That is an integral part of the experience!

Also, find out which races in that country the local runners rate, and why. 

• I would love that what a great idea, i'm down for it as long as somewhere nice and hot image haha I wish my running club would do that
  • I like running and I like going on holiday, but I don't think I'd want to commit myself to running with strangers who might be too slow/too fast/too annoying. So another vote here for just going on holiday and then doing some running when I get there. Part of the pleasure of holidays is being able NOT to interact with people I haven't chosen to spend time with.

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

you don't have to go somewhere hot, or with a beach? How about Iceland and the "Fire and Ice" ultra? I'm just back from Lake Tahoe and the Tahoe 200 - it's about the same temperature here in the UK, albeit 7,000' lower..

• Depends if you have a spouse/partner and /or children.

We choose our family holidays on where we all want to go, although I always take running kit with me, it's a great way to explore.
    Picking a holiday for the sole purpose of running is OK if you have a like minded partner, or if you holiday away from the family.
    Dragging them along so you can run seems (to me) very selfish.

• Back in my earlier running days a few friends on a marathon forum talked me into doing the 2:09 events marathon training week in the Algarve. Could definitely recommend that, not that expensive (sparse or not so sparse hotel/apartment options), the resort was a small and quiet one but setup for active types with gym, track, quiet roads and a variety of trails and beach to run on. That said, though it was out of season the few local bars and restaurants opened up for the hundred or so runners who turned up so easy to enjoy a variety of meals out and the odd 'superboc'! Also got the benefit of morning group runs along clifftop trails and an afternoon more focused training session with experienced coaches (variety of levels of runners). Also had talks in evening or a quiz and suchlike. then a handcap XC race at end of the hol. Do what you want in between all the organised stuff and just run as much as you want - and I found with no work to distract I was inclined to do every run I could.

It was a really good format, but maybe for the purposes of the ultra and trail types it probably wouldn't be what you were looking for. I know they also used to do a few other offerings like a week guided trekking Bhutan before himalayan kingdom marathon, which sounded fun. I've heard of a few off-road types who've setup running holiday offerings abroad, sure they'd be good if you have no family to consider or can get the brownie points to escape.

I couldn't do that now with mortgage and family, but I still make little solo-escapes for a few days away every now and then. Running/walking at a leisurely pace point-to-point between B&B's. I have been away with partner for a hol around TDS in Chamonix and also this year with little-un too for a long weekend around 10peaks: lakes (short). But with family with me I wouldn't consider more than a day away running as I've brought them along so we can share the experience of the area.

I always thought the PTL or TDG sounded like a nice running holidayimage

• I've had

• A summer running holiday in the French Jura mountains with Tracks and Trails, and
    • A winter running holiday (twice) over xmas in the mountains of Granada with TrailrunSpain

In both cases the daily run was guided, accommodation was provided, and we were free to do what we wanted the rest of the time. Both of the guides and some of the customers have become good friends. I recommend them both and I'm looking for something similar this xmas image

Another alternative is to book an unguided walking holiday with a company like Contours that books B&B and transports baggage, and then simply walk/run the sections with a daysack instead of walk-only. I did this round Anglesey and the Llyn peninsula this year, Jurassic coast last year and the Ceredigion coast path a couple of years ago. Some companies will customise the lengths. You might like to do that to avoid arriving at places too early.

I like the idea of these holidays for one thing because there is no debate every day about what we are going to do. It's very simple and is a proper holiday if your job is filled with meeting people, thinking, and planning, because it's the opposite image

• My o/h likes to come out jogging with me so we've done some lovely runs whilst on holiday together in France, Spain, Holland and Germany this year. We just check out the routes around wherever we are staying and pop out for a run in between other activities. I would certainly consider a running holiday, if other factors were also attracting me to the place image