Brimingham

I'm soon moving to the land of Cadbury's world and spaghetti junction but struggling to find races. If it help explain I'm presently living in Sheffield which has a fell race almost every week nearby and a few half within easy travelling distance.

Can any local's point us in the right direction to some mischief in or nearby? Already signed up to Birmingham half but can't really find any other races or midweek mischief. If this keeps up going to have to start organising some and I don't think Birmingham could cope with that.

Comments

• I know more about Warwickshire area, but off the top of my head I can think of the following in birmingham in the near future:

Bourneville 10k on 5th Oct

Centurion rc grand prix series (various)

Conductive Education 10k 2nd Nov

Fewer midweek races as the days get shorter.

Also not much opportunity for fell running in the West Mids, but Mercia Fell runners are not too far away in Shropshire.

• 23 Nov - Wrekin Wrecker which is 8 miles with 732m of ascent. Did this a few years ago and think it was 4 or 5 quid and for that got a long sleeve sweatshirt and soup/chips. Good race and allow you to meet a few local hill runners.

• image Cheers if you think of any more can you say new area for getting into adventures. JW is well and truely on the list given the crazy kids who run it. image

• I think Bourneville Harriers is a local club, plus BRAT.  It might be worth stalking their website and or electronic noticeboards for info.  If you are friendly with the JW team then give them a poke on FB as they will know this sort of stuff for sure.

• Obviously there's not the fell racing scene from back home but the Centurion series is the obvious one. A little further away is the Keyworth Half, or Turkey Trot, near Nottingham in December, opens next Monday and will be sold out in a few hours. Wheaton Aston 10k fills quickly and Cov Godiva have a few races, I've enjoyed a few of their 5 milers.

Clubs depend on where you'll be living, there are a few top level clubs, Tipton, Birchfield spring to mind, Royal Sutton Coldfield is apparently the best.
  • Stourbridge Stumble and Stagger

There used to be a group who ran in Sutton Park, not sure if they're still going

• image Cheers guy's I've been stalking a few club calender's for a bit but didn't seen to be any race meeting's that won't club leugue's so was starting to get worried. A few thins to check out and be getting on with. If anyone has any over tip off's please feel free 

• Wolverhampton to Birmingham along the canal, taking train to canal basin in Wolverhampton from New Street, running to Gas Street basin, having drinks and food watching runners come in. Early July: search BBCHM. PS I live in Bournville and get train from Selly Oak....its fab! Time trial, not race as you set off in ones or twos due to narrowness of route!
  • I'll add a few to those above - though must echo the Stourbridge Stagger

Warwick Half

Stratford half & full

Coventry half

Leicester half and full

Leamington Park Run every Saturday

• Broadway marathon might suit you.
  • kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Birmingham?  You're brave. image

i don't know much about Birmingham, but a bit about warwickshire. There are some pretty fast races, that are small in warwickshire.

Morton morrell do 10/20k races twice a year.  

Shakespeare half marathon/10k

edgehill half marathon. 

Banbury 15 mile in march 

loads to do! 

• Whereabouts in Brum are you moving too? 

Other clubs in & near Brum are: Kings Heath Running Club, Solihull & Small Heath Athletics, Barnt Green Chuggers. Bournville get upset if you spell their name with two e's ????

Park Runs within 10 miles of Brum: Canon Hill Park (biggest in the area) fairly central, Perry Hall - North Brum, Walsall Arboretum North of Brum, Arrow Valley in Redditch South West, Brueton Park in Solihull-South East

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a Park Run at Kingsbury Water Park? Or am I dreaming ????
  • Alas going to be working most saturday's now althorugh hopefully will get in a checky parkrun every now and them. I think bookie did the Kingsbury park one the over week through if any good. Cheers again for the race tips entered Coventry and looking into the other races.image

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I've done the Walsall Arboretum and Perry Hall parkruns. Perry Hall is closer and a perfectly nice course image