Help - osteitis pubis

Has anyone out there ever had this injury!

im 30 and ive early had this injury for 7 years now, when i was first diagnosed it was also informed that it was osteitis pubis as well as hip impingement / Laberal Tear! 

i had hip arthroscopy to sort the impingement as well as operating on the laberal tear... as i was in thetre they also took the opportunity to give me a steroid injection into the pubic bone!

obviously took me a while to get back in the gym and work on my rehab!  it went well and i did play football again... (year later ) 

However a year later i was getting the same issue, sore groins ,serious pain in the centre of my pubic bone! i went to see sooooo many phydsios and was given the same exercise but still couldn't shake i!!

Back down the hospital 3 years later and they suggested that the hip impingement (artrhoscopy) could be done again, as i was still getting pains in lower back , right hip and pubic bone i wanted the op to happen asap! ive been told that the impingement has been straining my right hip /back whch means the left side is pulling more causing discomfort .

so back in November 2013 i had the op again and 10 months later i feel really good, back and glutes are getting stronger, trying to work on core! however when i raise the bar the osteitis pubis comes back! 

i know you have to work muscle balance / core ect but is there anything else i can do?

use to be a good runner, havent run 5 k pain free in 6 years...image

ive changed the way i sit, stretch a lot and still getting same pains !

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Only thing you can do now is to stop trying to exercise through the problem. Its chronic. Stop stretching completely it won't help, quite the opposite, its like continually picking at a scab.

This condition is the absolute worse for a runner. Forget plantar fasciitis. Doesn't come close.

Saw a top UK runner stopped by this (did GNR in 61 minutes).

I'd draw a line through the diary for the next two years. If it heals up within that time consider it a bonus.

🙂

• "Laberal Tear! "

Isnt that like a womans problem???

• I agree with what you say however I have rested for long periods and it still arises ... Think it's more to do with correct rehab process.

I believe muscle balance and posture is key .

And no laberal tear is quite common
  • magic man2 wrote (see)

And no laberal tear is quite common

oh, laberal ... OK, I misread that word. THAT would have been painful!

Just out of curiosity, you say youve been to hospital etc etc. What did they tell you with regards to future training?

• MM2...haven't had the injury but seen a good few and the consequences of such.

Cutting to the chase - you've got bags of different symptoms, which don't just happen randomly. Your symptoms occur because the tissue or structure at fault is being overused and misused, and it does this because another part of your system/body is being underused.

We are inherently lazy in the way we move and only concerned in getting from A to B (rather than how we get from A to B). So, if you have a bit of body which moves too much, this is now the path of least resistance in getting from A to B. It may well "feel" stiff but this protective muscle stiffness trying to protect the joint that moves too much.

The more this bit moves, without control - the more it hurts. And the more this bit moves the less another bit of your body has to move - think of it like a see-saw.....this is the cause of your symptoms.

Very few OS really understand the cause of FAI - they just deal with the symptoms, but until you change the cause the symptoms will reoccur.

• Thanks for posting this. I think I may have a mild form of this.

I rested for three weeks and it seems much better but not completely better. I think it's time to get some professional help for me.

Good luck, a quick trawl of the web says there is usually a good recovery rate but sounds like you may have compound problems.
  • I had osteitis pubis last year or bone stress injury as they called it now, out for five months. I went straight to a sports medicine quack, weak core had caused the pubic bone to be stressed through years of running (90 mile weeks). The rehab albeit tedious sorted the problem and I was back running half marathons pain free in 5 months. I spent each day doing around 45/60 mins in the gym working on glutes, adductors and abdominals which had been identified as the cause. I think because it’s generally long term most give up or take incorrect advise hence you read of runners who did a little stretching/Pilates, didn't help and haven't run for yonks! Initially I went to my regular Physio, however made no progress, my advice (worked for me)

Get a scan for an up to date image of the bone stress (unless you've had one in recent months), see a Sports Medicine Doc, and follow his rehab to the letter!

• I too suffered with this for 12 months, originally diagnosed as adductor strain eventually properly diagnosed with MRI scan, but very difficult to shift, as mentioned usual exercises to strengthen core, glutes,hamstrings, squeezing a football between my knees and ankles, and not doing any running. Then a very slow build using a run walk programme & touch wood literaly 12 months down the line & I am back running pain free.

Best of luck to you xx

• Hi guys, I know it's over a year on from yours posts.

I have struggled to find a page for Footballers (soccer) with the same condition.

Mine started off with a general groin strain in March 2013, I rested it for 7 weeks, went back into training. I had massages, and ultrasound 5 days a week at my football club or the 7 weeks. By the time it got to August and I still had this problem, I spoke to my doctor and they referred me to get an MRI scan. I was then diagnosed with OP.

I was told I shouldn't be playing football until this has got better. After a year from the start or the injury, I had given up football completely. This condition was crippling me physically and mentally. I was extremely depressed, I managed to get a job in a warehouse, although not ideal for my condition, but I needed to work. I would do 5 days a week, on my feet bending and lifting, putting myself through agony as I couldn't bare to be sat in at home.

As for the depression, I piled on at least 2 and a half stone from September 2013 to now. I was a fit 13 stone athlete. Now I'm disgusted in myself.

I had an injection over a year ago from now which helped for a month then it came back, but had no other treatment or physio after when I tried to get some.

So I just left it and carried on.now I've had enough I went to get more medical help and insisted I wanted something doing and ending this pain!

I had another injection on Xmas Eve 2015 and I found out two days ago that it was in the wrong place, and it's causing me more pain then it did before!

Now I am fed up.

Last year in April I started with a Personal trainer, I thought the pain wasn't too extreme at that point that I could actually do some exercise.

From April until August 2015, I was fit and the pain had eased off, not completely though. I was taking trips to the Lake District once every two months to go on long mountain hikes! And feeling great!

But it was still effecting me at work doing simple things like only just walking, I would have crippling sharp pains. Even places around me hip area I've never had before. When it got to August 2015, I caught Glandular Fever and was hospitalised for 9 days and had 10 weeks off before returning to work, overweight and unfit. With all that rest it felt better, until I got back too work and moving.

That's when I decided I'd had enough!

So right now I am doing my core exercises given to me by my physio, back in a month to see what other options there are.

Sorry this is so long, I've never had anyone to open up to with this and this seems to be my only way, to speak to people who understand!

Whether you lot read this or not, it doesn't matter. I feel... Relieved, a little

Cheers

Scott
  • Hi Scott,

By pure coincidence I'm reading this link today after I was diagnosed with OP based on an MRI scan and X-ray. Like you, this followed or was secondary to an adductor groin strain, back in December. I took a week off running, tried to restart but it was too painful so I gave up and rested for two weeks over Christmas. Then I went to the physio who started me straight away on stretching and strengthening. This has already made a big difference. I'm not going to say I'm cured but I can run for 5M without pain, although I'm being advised to minimize or cut out running for the time being. So, keep up with the physio and I think you will see improvements. I read an article today that said it takes 4 weeks of training to strengthen muscles, 8 weeks for bone, and 12 weeks for ligaments and tendons, so the key is to persevere and not give up! The best of luck to you.

• Hi there, just picking up on this old thread. I have been diagnosed with OP too. Just wondered if anyone had tried compression shorts for this injury? If so did they help and what brand did you go for? Thanks in advance