Entry level ladies gps

DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife has recently taken to running. She has a polar with hrm which is faulty as its years old, and so wants a new one for her birthday. She says she doesnt want gps, however she comes back from a run and spends ages logging it on mapmyrun, therefore i beg to differ!

Can anyone recommend an entry level gps/hrm watch with integrated gps, perhaps upto £100?

Thanks

Comments

• Has she a smart phone ? If so - use strava ?
  • I've just got a Garmin 110.  I've had a few Garmin's in the past which have all been fine but I do like this one a lot.  For starters it's lighter than the other ones so I don't notice it on my wrist.  It's got a lot less functionality than my other ones by all I care about is pace/time/distance.  At about £70 it's a really good price, and there is a option to have it in pink if that's your thing.   image

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-110-Running-Watch/dp/B003EG83LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412247116&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+110

• Aldi currently have one for 65 quid. I bought one for my wife and she's very happy with it.
  • Hi Mr DT. The Garmin Forerunner 10 is a nice simple device. Easy to use, tracks distance and pace and uploads to the Garmin website. So small, it looks nice as a watch as the battery last for ages on standby(time only) mode. Looks good and available in different colours(including pink) Nice "entry level" watch but I like its simplicity and I've been running for yonks. RRP is around £99 but you should be able to get it for less.

• I love the forerunner 10. Hubby bought it for me (after a few hints though!). No HRM and no facility to set one up with this later on I don't think, but there's more colour choice now, and I also have small wrists and this one fits perfectly.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your helpful responses. The killer with the fr10 is the lack of hr. That is her core requirement as she judges how hard she has worked in gym classes by calorie burn.

I have found a nice coloured fr110 with hr on ebay which looks good, though will pop into aldi first for a look at theirs.

I dont think she would want the smartphone option as its just a bit big and clumsy on arm and wouldnt sut some of the aerobic based classes she does.

• I don't see what the difference is between men's and ladies' watches unless, like me, she has tiny spindly girl wrists. In which case I'd recommend going for whichever models let you swap the strap for one of the adjustable fabric ones.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think it is sizing. If she wore my garmin it would look huge on her and if i tried to wear her polar it wouldnt get round my wrist.

• They all look huge. Whatever she gets is not going to be attractive. What matters is whether you can fit the strap round your wrist without it moving around all over the place. Have a look at the DC Rainmaker site as he helpfully lines up all the watches next to each other on a rolling pin so you can compare sizes.

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    I have fairly small wrists and my 110 fits no problem. The only difference with the so-called ladies version is the bit of pink thrown in cos that's what we ladies like - who cares if it fits etc etc ????
  • Am confused on two points raised here

- What is the difference between a mens/womens GPS, or are we just talking about ones which look pretty?

- how does it takes ages to log a run on Mapmyrun?....

Can anyone shed any light on this.....

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ninedeuce, i am more than happy to shed light on your confusion-

1. A female watch is inherently smaller than a specific male watch, and comes in far prettier colours.

2. Our laptop is shit with pop ups everywhere and she doesnt know how to use the site very well. When I use the term 'ages', please apply a degree of context.

Perhaps with this confusion now cleared up you might be able to contribute something positive?

• Ok. Seems like you need a new laptop then. Not sure how a ladies GPS watch will sort that one out.....

• Well she was clearly manually logging her runs on mapmyrun. A gps watch would do it for her. Aye?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, manually logging them, which in my experience is a pain. She only ever wanted to see how far she had run slo i thought a simple functional gps would do that.

• In my experience, female-specific watches are shit and do fewer things than ones designed for men. However, if you have got small wrists, because of DT's point (1) above, the ones that actually have decent functionality (i.e. the men's ones) are too sodding big. Garmins and the like all tend to be on the chunky side, though, so there generally isn't much difference. Pretty colours for girls are patronising and stupid.

• I have a Garmin 15 (in pretty purple) which I love and which does everything I need it to do.  Sadly, I am now even more in love with my friends even prettier 220 (also in purple) which is a pretty enough watch that I would wear it as an "all the time" watch.  I got the 15 new from an ebay seller for £85.  

I come home from a run and plug in my watch and upload to MapMyFitness.  I can spend loads of happy time looking at the wee map and comparing whether or not I was faster the week before or not.  I am fairly new to all this and am still at the stage where I get tickled when I see how many miles I have run overall.  I think perhaps I need to get out more....

• I have the Garmin Forerunner 10 (in lime green) and couldn't be happier. It's not pretty but I'm not the sort of person who cares about that. It does what I need it to do. There are holes throughout the wristband so it should fit even the daintiest of wrists.