Dog Biting

I was wondering has anyone been bitten by a dog whilst out running.

Last night i was bitten. As i ran past the owner and the dog on a lead who were on the pavement and i was on the road.

The dog launched up at my and bit my right hand side.

I phoned 111 and they said I need to go to A and E. There they took me straight in to Emergency A and E. I was given a tetanus within 5 minutes and then put on a weeks antibiotics.

Anyone had similar incidents?

Comments

• Sorry to hear that you have been bitten by a dog, hope you are ok. Luckily I never met an unfriendly dog whilst running. There is a thread here about dogs somewhere. Did you report the incident as well? If that is an aggressive dog then I think the police should be notified. I personally think that if a dog attacks people in public places it needs to be put down as its too much of a risk. ( and I am a total animal lover)

• I have reported it to the police and will be giving a statement on Saturday morning at the cop shop. I am going to try to find the owner first myself as I ran off without realising it had actually bitten me.

• John I work for the post office they did a study a bit back that don't have to hand that was very interesting on this one. Runner's and also postie's are likely to smell of sweat which if a dog is a bad'un can create a sence of the person has fear. Also if you moving towards it it might see you as a fret.

I've been bitten before but never running normally if I see a dog that think looks a bit dodgy I ever give a very wide berth or just for a moment slow down and walk past it. Sounds like you've done everything right and well done for reporting it.

• Dogs have become an absolute menace but as long as their are more voters with dogs than there are runners or posties then nothing will done about it.

• There is nothing new about dogs chuckles and there are far more good dog owner's out there than bad. Just if your a runner or a postie you will sooner or later come into contact with the bad ones.  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i ran past a dog once while wearing an ipod.

I went from just about to apologise to the owner for creeping up on her, to wanting to give her abuse when her mutt nipped my ankles.

but it nipped them so gently i didn't realise until 100metres or so on.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I don't think it's a great surprise that we get bitten by dogs while we're running. The dog perceives a threat. It is surprising however that dog-owners (of which I am one) don't have more control over their mutts. I absolutely despair sometimes. As a dog owner I'm sorry this happened to you, but not surprised. I hope the police can help.

Incidentally, a colleague was out running with her dog a few weeks ago, and ran past someone with an Akita on a lead. The Akita, a big dog, went for her dog, and put it in doggie hospital for a while. We didn't think it was going to make it as this bloody Akita thing had managed to pierce it's abdomen in several places and did quite a fair bit of damage. The dog was reported to the police but no action was taken. That was dog-on-dog, so slightly different.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Had my arse ripped (three layers) by one of an uncontrolled pack in the woods, walked by a professional 'dog walker'.

In the car park further on I met another dog walker who on hearing the tale, mentioned his terrier had been set upon by this very same pack.

''If you're interested, that's his van over there' image

🙂

• I am on stake out tonight, i WILL find him. 

Got to go to the Police station on saturday morning to file my report. Hopefully by then i will have tracked his address.

For information I am also a dog owner, we have Westie called Leeroy (just for giggles) and he is great, so it is not like I am a dog hater.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Good for you. I wish people were a little more careful about breed choices. A mate of mine, very nice guy, sensible, family man, good job. Wants a bull dog. Why? What possible reason could you want for having a bull dog, one of the most overbred dogs around, can't breathe or walk properly. Why? Cos it looks cute. Beggars belief.

And at the end of the day, dogs are dogs. You can never be 100% sure your dog isn't going to be the next one that bites someone.

Remember the french woman who had her face transplanted? She'd passed out for some reason in her flat. Her dog fancied having a snack on her face. It wasn't a stray dog or a guard dog. Family pet. Now there's (dog)food for thought.

Sorry, rant over. 

• I was running in a cross-country race in Nonsuch Park, Cheam, last Sunday, when a couple of dogs that were fighting each other ran rapidly across my path – virtually unaware of what was going on, I ran into them, stumbled, swore loudly, then heroically carried on to gain points for my club. Football was a breeze by comparison with running.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I used to live by Nonsuch Park. Nice.

• Actually quite hilly in parts, surprisingly. It is a lovely park, yes.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

i ran past a dog once while wearing an ipod.

What is this, Runner's World Bingo?!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Best way of distracting a dog? Ans: Another dog.

No matter how much you may think a dog may be interested in you, it'll always be more interested in the prospect of sniffing another dog's backside.

🙂

• Found the dog and the owner.

I have been to the police and filled my complaint. It is apparently the first incident for this dog (of course the police never lose crime records so much be true) but if they get another the dog will be put down. 

I am not going to prosecute as the courts will say the same as the police, however the police have been around to the dogs house and told the owner to mussel it when walking it.

Whether or not i will sue for compensation I don't know. I could probably get £500 for it or so, but really is it worth the hassle. The main thing is it doesnt happen to someone else.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

A mussel doesn't sound like much of a deterrent ... unless the dog isn't into shellfish, I suppose.

• Sorry for musseling in on this thread but well done John for following it up and giving the owner a bit of a wake up call.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Too regular an occurence but the ratio is probably one bad dog in 100, and running outdoors it doesn't take long to chalk up dog incidents.
    So far I've had my shorts bitten (and ripped), ankles bitten (blood drawn), calf bitten (ditto) and worst one was black labrador taking a bite out of my forearm (down to the muscle, a dozen plus internal and external stitches). Only reported the last one, the owners got a caution.
    I lose count of the number of times I've had to come to a stand still to stop a dog off a lead junping up. I also lose count of the "if (s)he doesn't do what you tell it, it's not under control" arguments.
    Then again some owners will have nothing said about sweet little Fido.

Sadly it's a fact of life if you like running outdoors. It paints a bleak picture for the vast majority of owners I meet who clearly know how their dog will react and act accordingly.

• I have bitten a few but I find they taste furry.

• Actually the reason why the dog "attacked" the French woman who had the face transplant is open to debate. Apparently there were several conflicting reports over whether she had taken an overdose and the dog was frantically trying to wake her up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabelle_Dinoire

• Most younger people where I live seem to have a Staffi or pit-bull...... think it's some kind of status symbol or like keeping up with the Jones'es.

More commonly known to me as "Innits"........................ Innit bruv, like know wot I mean........ swear down bruv, innit.

• I remember being out walking once and some sort of terrier bit my ankle. Luckily I was wearing solid walking boots which it couldn't get through. It ran off a short distance, then ran back and bit me again. All the while its owner, a middle aged woman, stood there watching.

I told her that if it did it again it was going to get a kick. It tried again but this time got a decent boot which changed its mind. The owner's response was to have a go and say "it was only playing". Er no, it wasn't.

Luckily not been bitten while running, though on one occasion I thought two dogs were attacking me simultaneously from each side - turns out they were attacking each other and I happened to dozily run in between them. All three of us looked confused.

• The law has very recently changed on dangerous dogs - hopefully it will encourage a few more dog owners to keep their dogs under control.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29653486

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    From the link above:

...in May, the Act was amended to allow prosecution if the pet attacked someone who was on private property, regardless of the circumstances by which they were there.

So now a burglar can get a dog put down and Sue the owner of the dog if they get bitten after they have broken into someone's home or business. Another case of poor law making being the follow up to poor law making.
  • AW3AW3 ✭✭✭

I can't stand dogs. As far as I'm concerned they're no better than giant hyperactive rats that people parade around public spaces for hours on end.

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I still think we should lobby the government for a law that states that dog food must contain a minimum quantity of sedatives just to make them chill out and not try to bite me all the time.

• I was bitten (no blood) by a dog and scratched (drew blood) about a month ago on a public footpath. Noted at the time dog probably had a higher IQ than both its owners put together.

• Make dog wardens runners and if they ran through certain areas for a few hours it wouldn't take long to be attacked by a dog. Dog gets put down and owners start to get the message. It's YOUR responsibility to control the dog. Use a mesh, use a lead or use training. Bit it isn't the runners fault for running where your dog is being exercised!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I once went for a run with the most mild mannered self effacing guy you could meet. At some stage in the proceedings, a West Highland terrier came after us. I thought nothing of it, it was just a yappy yap job. However, just as we went around the corner with this dog at our heels, and out of view of its owner, my partner swung around and booted this dog full in the face.

" I hate f..g dogs!" he said with satisfied venom. image.

There's reasons why some of us run alone.image.

🙂