Head Torches

I need a head torch for an ultra event in November. I've briefly looked on the  Amazon website and there seem to be hundreds  of options ranging in cost from a few pounds to infinity. I'd really appreciate some  recommendations  and (where known) approximate prices please! Cheers!

Comments

• www.lmgtfy.com

Carl you've posted the same thread in at least 4 different places that I've found, same as for the GPS watches. Why not research. Narrow down the choices in your price range theming ask if people have had experience of them.
  • If you don't want to spend much, I'd recommend the alpkit gamma. I have one and it's pretty comfortable and provides a decent light.

• Answered your question on the gear page!

• Alpkit gamma can have reliability problems. I know of several that have gone wrong.

LED Lensor H7 does all you need for night ultras and you can buy two for the price of a Petzl which is a good thing as you should carry two for winter events. 180 + lumens   for about £28  each . They  got me to the Spine finish line twice.

Don,t get the new improver H 7.2 as it is over complex and £ 10 more expensive to justify the gadgets added by the  nerd teck head who designed the "multy function switch . Any torch that requires you to spend an hour reading the manual is not worth having. When your brain fails you in the middle of the night you don,t want to have to re-read the manual!

• Doesn't the H 7.2 have four instead of three batteries? It might mean 33% longer battery Life. That's an improvement that attracts me.

I really like my H7 apart from that I need to change batteries in the middle on night in ultras, except when it's summer.

• I got a H 7.2 for exactly that  reason . So far the batteries appear to go flat faster. I can,t quite bring myself to waste 7 batteries to do an exact comparison of the run times. 

I really hate the controls on the H7.2 and it also has a low batterie warning which makes it strobe while you run. Only 1 hr max power left you would think , but no it,s still running 3 hrs later and only strobes again if you try to negotiate technical part of the trail and want a good steady light.

It could have been a really good head  torch. All they had to do was add that extra batterie and perhaps add a little red LED on the batterie pack to protect you from being run down from behind. But no they decided to bling it up to appeal to people who like complex things.

• Sounds like reasonable complaints. It's the type of complaints I very weill could have written myself. Keep things simple is usually a good design rule.

• The original H7R was a good torch which I think could have been made better with improved battery life and a better ratchet / tilt mechanism.
    I really like the brightness and zoom controls which are easy to operate, even with gloves on.
    It looks like the H7.2 is a different torch rather than an upgrade - just similar name and colour!

• Apart from the daft blinky thing when it's running on low power, I do like my H7.2; But - I liked the original one as well, it was more user friendly. The only issue I had with it was the floppiness of the hinge.

• Mick W
    How much battery life do you get from the H7.2?  Is it much better than the original?

I've just got the new Nao.  Expensive toy but excellent battery life if you're out for a long time.  Damn bright too!

• I can't compare yet as I haven't had it long enough yet! I'm still on the first set of new batteries, done about five runs so far so about 7-8 hours and still going?