Options

Do I?(

Hi all, 

only joined this for a bit of advice I am thinking of doing an ultra run for charity but I'm not the best at running fast.  I have never run a marathon/race in my life. I always said to myself if a family member was diagnosed with cancer 3 times I would do something for that charity and it has happened and this time we been told it's not curable only treatable so now I'm looking what to do and this is one of the big things. 

Has anyone jogged/fast walked these when tired? I can run 5.45min/km at the moment and the ultra is in may next year.

any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Lorna most people will fast walk/jog an ultra so yes its perfectly do able. But why an ultra? It's tougher to do something you're not really committed to and if you're purely doing it for charity that will make it a mission and a half.

What's the race and what's your background?
  • Options
    How ultra is ultra ?
  • Options

Lorna, I am sorry to hear about the diagnosis. 

i would suggest that not being able to run fast need not be important.

As well as knowing what event you're looking to do it could be helpful to know what running you have done.

You say you've not done a marathon, so have you run any races? What distances do you run, per week and per month (on average)?

I'm hopeful that you will get good advice on here to help you with your plans. Already you've got GKD and Cougie! image

• Options
    Hi all,

The ultra is 42 miles from Brecon to cardiff so downhill. I want to do something tough that is going to challenge me mentally and physically.

I go to the gym 5/6 times a week on the treadmill, cross trainer and swimming so my fitness level is pretty good also do park run every Saturday morning.

No races, I run about 25-30km a week then cross train and swim on top of that.

My husband would support me he does marathons

Thanks all
  • Options

Lorna do you have a link for the race it sounds like fun. As above most people won't be running the whole distance anyway mental strengh is a lot more inportant. I would take a moment and think about what you are going to eat as well.

• Options
    http://runwalkcrawl.co.uk/events/brecon-to-cardiff-ultra.html

That's the link. I'm still thinking today and I keep thinking yes I can do this... I'll decide by Friday and speak to my family my family member.

image thanks all!!!
  • Options

thats a good route....its all on well packed trail or tarmac and very hard to get lost...... after the first 10 miles it is mainly downhill as well which helps......

You just need to get out and build up your run/ walking. speed wont be an issue. but endurance.....

so you will need to ditch the gym and get out and enjoy the fresh air..

good luck

• Options

I agree with seren nos, start now to get more miles or kms per week and build up the amount of time on your feet. That will make the endurance part so much easier to cover. Although you perhaps love the gym I'd say the treadmill isn't the same as running outdoors. 

This could be a Major occasion in your family's life If you choose to go ahead with it.

I wish you every success if you decide YES!

• Options

I echo what everyone else says.  It looks like a good first ultra.  Is it doable?  I would have thought so, but it will involve significant time commitment and is likely to hurt.  You'll also be training though the winter, so brace yourself for long days out in foul weather.  Only you can decide if that's worth doing.

I've done various fundraising events.  It can be easier to fundraise for a marathon than an ultra, simply because everyone - runner or not - knows what a marathon is.  Get used to saying, "I'm doing event which is..."

Finally, given that your base mileage is low and you're not usually running more than 5k at a time, realistically you're going to be walking significant chunks of this.  That's fine.  Lots of people, including me, do that.  There's a thread here (spring marathon?  training?) on run/walk techniques, which would be worth checking out.  

Walking sounds easy, but walking 42 miles is an endeavour in itself.  If you're not a walker, I would suggest that all day hikes form the backbone of your training.  Its a relatively low impact way to improve base fitness, get used to time on your feet outdoors, and to practice nutrition/socks/footcare etc.

Good luck!