Race Photos, Fells and Food

I started my journey towards doing my first Ultra next year when I entered The Lakeland 50 back in September. This is the latest instalment of my blog charting my journey towards becoming a proper ultra runner.

www.runfattyrun.org/blog

Comments

• Another one talking about his journey and trying to get us to click on his blog.

No thanks. But you're welcome to participate in this forum instead. You'll get more readers and feedback here than there.

• Hi  warbs there is a thread on her about the lakeland 50/100.....if you are interested in talking about it with others....

most epopel here prefer to discuss matters relating to running rather than just read peoples blogs...once you know people then a blog might have more appeal...

• OK, point taken. I am new to this so forgive me for not knowing the etiquette. If people don't want to read it then they don't have to follow the link. It says in the title pretty much what the thread is about. I am just doing the blog as a personal diary really and  posted it in case it was of any interest to anybody. I promise not to post links to it again.

• there are hundreds and thousands of blogs out there........It would be good if Runners world had a separate heading where people could put links to but then i suppose why would they make it easier for people to put links away from the site..image

And Warbs.   you didn't mention a blog in the heading..i thought you had popped in to discuss what your next steps should be...

To be fiar if everyone bloggging about running came on and out a thread up to link to their blog it would pretty much be like the spam that we had last year and impossible to actually find the discussion pages...

• Fully understand, like I said I am new to this so apologies.

• So warbs, how is it going? 

What stage are you at? 

• Warbs2000, you might want to check out the wannabe ultra runner thread.  Does what it says on the tin.

• Thanks very much for the point in the right direction Personel. Booktrunk, it's going well so far and long runs up to 15 miles and also started to do some fell running. I've had my first twinge with a bit of runners knee but hopefully a few days rest should sort that out. Looking at marathons to aim for in the Spring as the next target.

• Warbs...you will probably have to look at your weight. Separately from training....the more i train the more i eat and i put on weight...even doing 15 hours a week training....to loose weight i have to write down everything i eat and make a conscious effort to not overcompensate
  • for me if I eat simple sugars I pile the weight on.

• I used to think that since I was running 30 or so miles a week I could eat pretty much what I wanted to.

I am increasingly convinced, though, that endurance running creates endurance fat, and the fat's staying power always seems that little bit more than the running's ...

• image I agree with Muttley 

• I think that if you arer signifcantly overweight, then starting running helps to drop weight initially, but going from say 6 miles, 3 times oer week, to much bigger distancess in trainig for an ultra, or a marathon, makes little difference- it tends to be slow miles, where you eat more during/ after, in order ot keep fuelled.

I never lose weight during a marathon campaign, but if stop runnig altogether, even for a month or so, my weight goes up.

I am not sure of the answer- obviously watch what you eat, but also perhpas some other forms of excercise- HIIT/ weights? I don't know. I think the awful truth is that probably I'd need to cut out all alcohol to lose weight!- Not a heavydrinker by most standards, but I do share a bottle of wine with my OH over a meal on friday/ sat/ sun evenings, and occaisionally one additinoal night a week.- This may have to change anyway as they are cutting the drink/ drive limits here in scotland, so a bottle between 2 will be out of the question if he wants to drive after, and even possibly for me to drive to work at 6 the next day!

• Cortisol also has a role to play in regaining  the fat.

• Hi Warbs

The fell runner you have a pic of in full flight (with 745 number on) is a friend of mine and he is something else on a downhill - don't be put off fell running they are a great bunch and will encourage anyone who's giving it a go.

Can't help with the weight sorry as mine is stuck and doesn't seem to change no matter how much I do.

Think about doing core strength maybe if your getting twinges it may help and watch how fast your building your long runs.