Options

ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

1131415161719»

Comments

• Options

Well Jo Pavey 3rd place in a year where we had a double world tax avoidance champion (you might know it as car racing) and double major + ryder cup champion, is bloody well fantastic. Proving age is just a number and motherhood can be the start of dreams, my SPOTY vote (s) went to you!! 

Karen Official thread due to start imminently I am told. I train solo mostly with some training done with my bro and a couple of running buddies who I train. I am considering joining my local club for some help. My only problem is my work times are so varied coupled with my voluntary work means I struggle for the regular specific time commitments of a club. I get my run's done but with careful juggling. That might change now, I will wait for the programme. 

The Running Andy Well done today, great time given lack of miles and cold, top running!! 

Minni I know Sam will slow me down, I did just go out there today and run, I should have gone slower but it just felt so good. Once the programme starts I will respect the LSR's and the slowing down. 

Chickadee A lot of us give up with a bout of manflu so respect for 12 miles with the leaky heart valve!!! image

Will keep you posted tomorrow for news of thread and training plan update. 

• Options

Great write up of store day soups, sounds fabulous! (I too shall also be adopting your new shortened nickname...) Really looking forward to your official thread starting up and following your training!

Fabulous to see Jo Pavey back on the podium 'so to speak' in 3rd place in SPOTY.  She totally deserved to win though!!!!

Good run today soups, sometimes when you're feeling it you just have to go out there and run: enjoy it whilst you can as like others have said, I'm sure Sam will have you slowing down!

• Options

Congrats Andy and congrats to Jo Pavey! Did Gaby Logan just call her 'Supermum'?  Nice bit of everyday sexism from the Beeb. I think she should be defined first by her sporting achievements, they're deserving enough aren't they? Rant over.

• Options

Morningimage Yes soups I am the same, I manage 2 runs per week, the long one and a track session with 2 different clubs then the rest I just have to fit in around work and family. Means being motivated! But also I think it's good as lots of people in the club push themselves hard on every training run and that can mean more injuries. Look forward to following the thread XX

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    The problem with always running with others is you almost always end up running at someone else's pace, whether that's too fast or too slow. I think if you really want to nail that pb it's important to do a fair bit yourself so you're only running to your own pace, and these paves should be determined by a recent race and not be a time you want to achieve. I spent years trying to train to a target marathon time and always just missed out but I then slowed the majority of my running down and pushed to faster intervals and ended up running PBs over every distance.
  • Options
    Thanks Soups & Karen: I was surprised I managed 1:37 figured it'd be closer to 1:45 when I set off. Will rest up now for a few days get over the cold properly, by which time you're official thread and training will be up and running guiding me to a nice sub 1:35 half and 3:30 marathon...

That's ingesting Minni, this year is the first I've taken running seriously, and I tried hard to slow my long runs down as that's what everything I read said to do managed to get a comfortable 9mm but often wonder if I should go even sower on the very long runs. Looking forward to hearing what Soups gets told of this
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Slowing the long runs worked for me too. I was doing 9mm Andy - I don't think you'd need to go any slower.

The addition of a slow midweek longer run was a big help as well. It gave me time on my feet without taking too much out of me. Also, the year before Paris I started mixing some marathon pace sections into my LSRs (as recommended by Minni among others).

That was brilliant not just for the body but also for the mind - to know you can cope fine with MP at the end of a 20 miler gives you a huge psychological boost.

Fantastic to see Jo Pavey in the top 3. It was always going to be tough in that company. To me F1 is more of a team sport than individual but I can't argue with Rory's selection as he was just phenomenal this year.

• Options

Malcs - Not sure I would even class F1 as a proper sport, let alone a team sport. Isn't it just sitting down and driving, albeit at a ridiculously fast speed.image

• Options

Great write up Tim!!! Sounds like you had an amazing day and it brings back so many nice memories. Good luck with week 1, Sam is an excellent coach. I will hopefully start my training in two weeks, Madrid marathon takes place on April 26, same day as London!!

• Options

Minni Your advice and Malcs previously is about the long slow runs being just that - slower. I re-read last years plan of Malcs and that certainly was the key along with the mixing up the paces during the runs. My runs of this year almost always started a bit too quickly. 

Thanks Isabel, glad you liked the write up and it brought back some nice memories for you. Good luck with your training! 

Sam is currently writing the training plan, she had a few further questions today after our 121 last week, she is brilliant already. I wont be running the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon on Sunday. Quite understandably it does not fit to start this training plan (next Monday) with the fatigue of having run, even if not flat out, a marathon the previous day. I cannot wait to get started and on that note, the threads were supposed to being posted up for us today. I have dropped an email to RW towers to find out when.

Malcs Spot on comments re SPOTY although  Sean make valid points on whether F1 is a sport at all. 

Just going to head out for a nice gentle few miles to keep the legs ticking over before finding out what I am supposed to do this week before next week and the start of the plan. 

• Options

I've always improved with faster runners on club nights, perhaps 4 or 5 efforts of between one and two miles, but chasing the same people on a long run on a Sunday was just miserable.

I hope they put your theead up soon Tim I can be Bizzaro to your superman!

• Options

SPOTY I voted for Jo too! Personally don't agree with Hamilton winning it but there you go!

So exciting having your training plan written for you. I actually think the training is the best part of the prize! well apart from Paris Marathon as a close 2nd!  

Did I miss the outcome for the marathon next weekend?

• Options

Shame about Portsmouth, Superman but I can understand why Sam wants you to start the plan raring to go, full of energy. 

I think you can get a lot out of being in a club, even if you don't attend any sessions. I've always just done one session a week with my club but recently started attending some track sessions. I think it's much easier doing speedwork in a group but I've always done long runs on my own. I'm going solo for the next few months for VLM training but may still turn up for the end of the Saturday session for coffee and a chat! I also enjoy the supportive and competitive nature of club membership which you get at local races.

I started the P&D plan today with a rest day! 

• Options

Sorry to hear you aren't running Portsmouth. I suppose I should see that as a positive as it'll be one less person in front of me! It makes sense though - you don't want to be feeling tired right at the start of the plan. Very interested to see what you'll be doing when you're thread is up and running. I'll be starting my training plan for Brighton on Monday too, so I'm sure I'll be plagiarising some of what you're given!

• Options

Mr Puffy, with my feng shui hairdo, I could be Lex Luthor.

I await the training program with much interest.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I have started a thread to see if there's interest in running the Forum mentoring competition again. This has been very subbessful in previous years. Please comment, ask questions etc http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/forum-five-six-seven-eight/284763.html
  • Options

Morning Mr Puffy aka Bizarro image  Although hearing Lex Luthor's name Hans it starts to worry me a lot of my nemesis are coming out of the woodwork. General Zod are you out there?  

And on that note are there any Jimmy Olsen's out there who can help me upload photos. I managed my flipagram but don't know how to do a photo???

Slowkoala I think it is a very good point you Karen Mr Puffy make about speedwork in groups to push yourself. It is these sessions where I am either going to do it with a club or with some level or faster runners.

ShadyAdy I might still be at Portsmouth as my bro is running it, will let you know. I was considering running a few miles with him at the beginning.

Unsure of run today as awaiting Sam's recommendation as to what to do this week pre next weeks training plan starting.  

• Options
    Morning all! Ah that is a shame about Portsmouth soups. It really sets you up for Christmas and I had a guilt free one last year after that race. But yeah totally right that you shouldn't do it. Very eager like everyone else to see this plan! My training for Manchester will start next Monday and I've got the generic asics 26.2 sub 3.30 plan which I going to see how I get on with. Hope it's all going well bud!
  • Options

Going great thanks Gingermagic Cannot wait to compare notes along the way!!

New thread is up and running now! image