ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

Comments

• Morning all! Another busy day ahead, bring it on! It was tough Malcs lots of hills and so windy like I said. But also quite beautiful, with some beaches nearby with pure white sands. Just a shame it was absolutely Baltic.

Hi Buxton. What number were you at bootcamp? What's the one unique thing I'd bring? I think just passion and discipline on an unrivalled scale. I'm also quite good at impressions. With the X-Factor announcer being a particular favourite!
  • Ruffles  I love a mini Xmas market and who would not want to succumb to mulled wine and mince pies. I must confess I had a bloody lush mince pie earlier today, proper yum!! 

Hi Buxton running bunny an excellent question you know. I have never seen an Indiana Jones film, I own 42 books on the Kennedy Assassination and I do think Ross and Rachel were on a break. This competition might be about the winner getting to Paris and getting the prize and the elite training and guidance, plus great ASICS clobber however what I bring is the understanding that this is a process to share and to bring to life. I followed and got involved with all the winners journeys last year, as their comments testify, and so I think my first hand experience is unique in this group. 

Gingermagic The Falklands - wow!! *bows down* 

• Not sure if I can better supermans answer, especially as I remember him saying he would also bring cake.......  I would however bring detail as to how my training is going and encouragement to everyone else really trying to break sub 3.30. Oh and a big smile XXX

• Gingermagic: I was boot camper 28! I had a complete mare during the 5K and finished a minute slower than my PB so knew after about 4 laps that my chance had disappeared like (Buxton running) bunny down a hole. Had a wonderful day though. Shame I missed you impressions!

Supermanruns: I agree, you do have a unique insight into the competition and it's clear you gave so much to last years winners, good answer! And agreed, Ross and Rachel were on a break. God she was so irritating!
  • Karen Murdoch 3: Don't underestimate the value of a big smile when marathon training! It's an essential piece of kit is say...
  • Agree with Buxton running bunny dont underestimate the value of your big smile when training Karen   

And on that note, do my fellow 3-30ers and anyone else for that matter, are you a say hello when you see a fellow runner running or do you just run on by??

• Ah sorry to hear that Buxton running bunny. It was a fantastic day and I've taken so much away from it as well. You'll surely improve as well as I think everyone will after last Friday. In fact the whole experience has given me a general boost, not just in my running either. Yes the impressions are legendary to those in the know anyway.

Tim, thanks. It wasn't all that. Although that was my 3rd tour of the Falklands meaning I've spent a year of my life on those Islands!

• If I've got breath in my body Tim, I'll say hello or make some kind of noise. But I'm a fan of a wave or thumbs up, sometimes a image.

Karen, you were lovely to be around at bootcamp the final team would be lucky to have that big smile!

• Good man Gingermagic I am with you, defo say hello or acknowledge to fellow runners. 

• I have found recently the off road runners are much happier people image I can run around the roads with near no acknowledgement from any fellow runners, but my recent runs in the woods everyone you pass says hello. It's a much happy cheerier place. Although probably has something to do with ipods (and other generic MP3 players) road runners seem to train more with music than those running in the woods, myself included.

And on that note, your top 3 fav bands and singles? for training and just chilling out too.  

And the most unusual place you have run? Can't say I've run in many unusual places myself. Most odd recently was when we got a bit lost on a social club run and ended up running through Ikea multi story car park! 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Morning!

It's like the Big Brother house this, but you're all in a thread. With that in mind, I wonder which of your fellow candidates would you evict first and why?

Just kidding image

SupermanRuns - I'm definitely an acknowledger, of anyone be they a runner or walker. I have noticed that in different parts of the country you get a better response rate though. Where I live it's not too bad, about a 50% hit rate but when I'm in Wales at the in-laws just about everyone says hello. At least I think that's what they're sayingimage

• Morning! Superman, mince pies for brekkie? That might have to stop soon if you win!

I grin at other runners like a nutter but find Bristolians not so smiley, which is sad. I always feel proper good if someone does smile back.

Question- sub 3.30s, will you run a Spring marathon anyway even if you don't win?
  • Andy, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Running on trails through woods and such like is a much happier place. I feel very 'zen' when I run trails, more at peace.

My music taste is a bit all over the place, I like a bit of everything really. But at the moment I'd say my favourites are Queens of the stone age, Foo Fighters and Royal Blood. I love a bit of rock. For chilling its got to be a bit of Neil Diamond, Royksopp and I love Damien Rice. The most unusual place I've run. Probably in a remote desert camp in Oman during a detachment. So hot and bleak, a strange experience.

Ruffles - I'm down for Manchester just in case and I'll follow the winner all the way. I'm also in my club draw for a London place. So I've got a few options!

• Morning all, not caught up with everything... This thread moves fast!!  Superman, I've not yet signed up to Bachhus- trying to organise a similar event with my local vineyard to coincide with British wine week, so watch this space!!  I do intend to enter Bacchus - we have a bit of a pickle as hubby and I usually love a trip to the lake district in the summer and I usually pick a race to do there- due to all my other race plans and a family birthday party in France I've not left enough time for a lakes trip, so september was looking likely, however I guess I could push it even later- maybe find an ultra up there in October time...

regarding runner friendliness, I find that so many runners around here recognise me from parkrun that I do get a hello from time to time- even got a wave when I was out at the crack of dawn on Sunday morning.  Essex is a big county and I actually find that in Colchester where I live I've had some less than friendly experiences, especially with dogs off their leashes, however when I was working in Chelmsford for a while and did some runs around there I was super impressed with the friendliness!!  Worst experience was when I used to work in London and I would fit in a mid long run after work in london as by the time I would get home it would be too late to run and be able to sleep well.  I was running toward vauxhall and I tripped over an uneven paving stone, went flying thru the air and fell flat on my face, my drinks bottle went rolling across the road-  two runners and a cyclist passed me whilst I was flat on my face and did nothing!! Luckily I was ok, but I was quite shocked they didn't stop to help and check I was alright!

• Good to see this thread speeding along...

For the previous marathons have you used training programmes, and if so which ones? did they work or not (ie were you going for sub 3:30 before?

Malcs- I agree about acknowledging runners. Worst is in Central London- I was at a meeting recently and ran round Hyde Park- saw at least 15 other runners and NOT ONE even acknowledged me. I wasn't even wearing my TR tutu either image

• Hi Clive nice to have you on. I've just kind of winged it I have to say. I've just worked in a 4 week rotation in my head building up the miles. For the long runs, making sure on the fourth week its a shorter long run of around 13 miles. Going up to maximum 22 miles for marathon training. Then I have 2 club sessions a week with one being speedwork and the other usually a tempo run. Then I'll do a couple of short easy runs on top of that. I'm also forced into the occasional circuit or HIIT session at work which helps.

I think if I stick to a dedicated plan I can really run a good time. I know sub 3.30 is within me.

• Ruffles Cant believe the winner wont be allowed to eat mince pies for brekkie, I swear last year Ruth let Malcs eat cake!

The Running Andy I have not run anywhere that unusual although the 13 miles I did round the South West Coastal Path was spectacular albeit very undulating. My poor taste in music will be highlighted by anyone who knows me as I pretty much think I  like everything. Except Jamiraqui, cannot abide them. First single bought was Boomtown Rats, Don't Like Mondays, First Album Blondie Parallel Lines. IOW festival last year was exceptional as saw The Chilli's, The Specials, Kings Of Leon, Suede, Travis, Nina Nesbitt and the lovely Alison Moyet. Music is one of my loves.

Malcs If Davina is waiting outside after the eviction I'll leave myself image

Angela When is British Wine Week, that sounds like my kind of week. And I have never been to the lakes, should I go?  I cannot believe that London can be so miserable to not stop and help you and after Clive's comments, say hello to fellow runners......

• Thanks Gingermagic re the image. Ruffles, good to see you are still on the move. Don't forget I'm a fellow Bristolian, I would always image if I saw you X

The only time I may not image, is if maybe I am storming up the Mother of all Hills. I would however acknowledge with a grunt of some sort.

Talking of hills, hill training is a key part of my sessions. I prefer to do them off road, less grunting that way.

Music - This is my big tip, download podcasts which are set at BPM - I vary 175, 180, 182 and 185 BMP.

Unusual? Gingermagic, Oman is going to trump. But, I have spent years adventure racing so do have lots of unusual ones. The best is fitting 4 of us into a phone box to get warm and catch a few minutes shut eye during a 5day race. Not muchimagegoing on there!

Hi Clive K. Re training programme, if you can I would suggest either training the route or if you are not local i.e. Paris, then train to the same terrain. Increase distance on long runs and tapering is key.

Keep imageing XX

• Thanks Karen- I have used programmes before with good results- I was more interested in your experiences?

What is everyones views about mileage training for a marathon- v high not? How many days a week do you envisage training?

• Clive I was following Malcs plan last year. I missed some of it due to illness but it certainly worked as my 20 mile time PB came down by 4 minutes. My weakness is still the 20 -26 miles as for 20 miles I have done 2hrs 37.  I also have a training plan which I was considering comparing to the winner of this group (if I didn't win) which I believe came from a very kind member of this forum. image

Last year on Malcs plan it was a 5/6 day schedule, I have traditionally worked on 5 days. I did do one on a 3 day training plan, I did not feel as strong on the back of it.

• I would do my long run Sunday - building up from my base of around 12miles, going up each week, i.e. 14, 16, 18, 20 then I would go back down, 17, 15, 13. I would fit one or two 1/2 marathons in Feb/March as a tune up. I would give myself a 3 week taper. Also If I am shattered I would miss or shorten one of those.

Re the rest of the week, I would do only one speed session, so the rest of my week might look like this;

Mon - light spin on my stationary bike 30mins (just to spin the legs out)

Tues - speed/reps up the track i.e. 6x1k,s 1x600, 1x400, 1x200

Weds - recovery run i.e. 3/4 miles with NO WATCH.

Thurs - Hill session either off road on a hilly route or 10 hill reps of approx 90 secs each.

Fri - recovery run

Sat - rest.

I know some friends of mine, do less speed/hill work and might do another long slow run in the week. But this is not something I have done.

I am looking forward to the training plan put forward by Sam and Steveimage

• Great forum !!! (Having a peak over from FT category)- Wishing you all huge luck over the next few days!

• Charles Hi, will pop over later and see how you are all doing. Maybe I will bring mince pies. image 

• Don't trust him Charles, promised us cake yesterday I'm still waiting.

• The Running Andy It was Battenburg, lush, you must have missed it. image

• Whatever happens I'll be following a training plan for whatever spring marathon I end up doing! I was looking at Malcs from last year and that'll suit me nicely. I definitely need more structure to my training.

Hi Charles, hope your campaiging is going well too!

• Looks like campaigning is going really well over here on sub-3:30!!! You're definitely the most chatty group... Loving all the discussions! 

I'd like to know if there is anything you are going to have to put on hold should you make it to the final 5 and if there is, what is it and how you feel about that?

• 2 things for me Buxton running bunny.  My daughters nativity play is the day of the Asics shop day so if I won I would miss that. It would rip at the heart strings but I spoke with my wife and we agreed she will film it if I win. It is not the same and I would feel guilty but sacrifices are sometimes necessary and tough. And I had entered my first Ultra in Jan which would be binned. I would be disappointed but these things can be rescheduled.

• If I was lucky enough to get through Buxton running bunny, I guess my diet will change a lot. I'll be eating a lot cleaner and I suspect that'll be the hardest thing for me. I have a fairly balanced diet, but I think I binge a little on a weekend and that'll have to stop and I hope it will continue like that after this process is over. I'd love to be able to match my discipline for training with watching what I eat!

I'll also have to learn to multitask better as communicating on here and twitter and facebook, as well as talking to my other half is hard!image There was a lot of nodding and smiling without really listening! I fear shes becoming an asics 26.2 widow!