Options

ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

Comments

• Options

Can'y believe I missed the battenburg, I love battenburg as well it' like 4 mini cakes squashed together with marzipan. Next time can someone please save me a slice.

SupermanRun, thats a tough call on the family side, but you won't be the first parent to miss a school play, and at leat (in my eyes) you'd have a good excuse. The video will make up for it a little, at least you can watch it with your daughter that'd be nice. Think I have made my views on ultra's known already. It's only something a mad person would do, so sort of hope you win to help save your sanity if only for a short time. 

Karen, do you do track every week? I've never run track before, closest I've been is 100m (or so) on the Olympic track at the back to the stadium 5 mile in 2013, seemed very bouncy, how does that translate into road races?

• Options

Oooh, tough call SupermanRuns! That's just bad timing though I guess and like The Running Andy says, you're not the first and certainly not the last parent to miss a something their kids are involved in because of a run...

In fact my son (age 15) had the lead role in his theatre group play at our local Opera House in April this year. The performances were 11th and 12th April so the Friday and Saturday before VMLM!!! As I clearly needed to attend the expo to register and collect my no. I missed both performances as I had to travel down on the Friday lunchtime... It was a real wrench but I did manage to blag my way into the Thursday night dress rehearsal so I didn't miss it completely. 

• Options

Still no mince pies delivered on our side of the wall?!

Tim- that's really tough to miss.. However,, if it makes you feel better, I couldn't believe how wooden both my kids were with their performances. They may appear better on video? (t-i-cheek)

• Options
    Superman just think how proud you're daughter will be if you smash your pb! Unless she's well small in which case she prob won't care....

What ultra were you planning?

Karen you're training week makes me want to faint. Maybe that's why I'm nearer a 4hr marathon runner than 3.30!
  • Options

Buxton running bunny what was the performance?

Charles mince pies tasted good this side. Never made it past the gatekeeper. image

Ruffles Too small to care about PBs, big enough to care Daddy not there. My 8 yr old is following all this with glee, she has just discovered parkrun although she thinks this whole process will end up like a school trip to Paris without any training. The ultra booked is Country 2 Capital, recommended as a good one to start with, dip the toe in the water.

• Options

Hi Ruffles, yes this is of course an ideal week! But I would really be focused on the plan as I have see in the past that sticking to the plan does get results.

Luckily my daughter's (aged 8) nativity is on the 17th and son's (aged 5) carol singing is on the 16th, so I don't miss out there. I really feel for you on that one Soups....

The Runnng Andy; Yes I do aim to do track every week. I am lucky enough to have the great track at William Parker School in Hastings about 7 miles from me. I meet fellow Hastings AC runners to regularly beast ourselves. There is no hiding on the track! It really does help with your speed in all races, road and of road. If I can't make the session because of childcare, I make myself do it on my own the following day in the local park, which rather handily has an exact 800m path round it!

• Options

SupermanRuns: He played a character called Leo in "Bassett", a modern play set in a school. (The title comes from it being set in Royal Wootton Bassett and has nothing to do with dogs as I first thought when he told me!) It was about a classroom full of teenagers who get locked in when the teacher 'goes a bit mad' on a day when dead servicemen are being repatriated from Afghanistan... Nobody's ever heard of it but even in the dress rehearsal my son was fabulous (slightly biased review alert!).  I was gutted to miss both actual performances but he understood...  Your daughter will understand too and like The Running Andy said, you can watch the recording with your daughter, that would be nice.

• Options

Afternoon!

Yep Ross and Rachel were on a break!

I say hello when I see a runner! Its only polite!

Great thread guys x

• Options

Afternoon Tigs and Congrats XXX

• Options

Buxton running bunny sounds like an epic performance ignoring your bias image

I had not even thought about watching the performance with my daughter, that is such an excellent idea, if I win that is, thanks Buxton running bunny & The Running Andy.

Tigger I am glad you are with me on R&R. Another favourite episode of mine is when Ross has his teeth done and they glow in the dark. Hope all is good with you sub 4hr peeps.

• Options

Wow, just been in an epic 2 hour meeting and the thread has really moved along!

SupermanRuns, the C2C ultra is a great one to start with apparently as you know its run by 'go beyond ultras' they put on great events. I did the Thames trot last year also run by them. Look out for the famous 'go beyond cake'. It's awesome. That's if you don't need to cancel for something more important in April!

• Options

SupermanRuns, British wine week is the last week of May, so the event we're hoping, will be on 31st May.  The vineyard in question has 7 wines so we're thinking 7 miles with a tasting at each mile, or something like that... but SHHHHHH Its not planned yet, although I'm doing something similar for my clients' Christmas party next saturday!  And yes, the Lakes is LOVELY.  I've been lucky enough to travel to some really amazing and wonderful places, but nowhere else matches the beauty and serenity of the lake district, nor the raw ruggedness of the lake district.  My favourite trip was when I was studying A Level geography and we were studying glaciation. - lots of the landscape of the lakes was due to the ice shelf that used to sit on the northern half of the UK, so my dad took me up there to see what I was learning about in the October half term - the colours around Lake Buttermere were breathtaking, and the stillness of the lake, wow! I got this photograph with about 10 trees in a row that looked like lollypops they were so perfectly round at the top, and it was perfectly reflected in the lake!  AMAZING!

• Options

Thanks Gingermagic I cannot wait to try some of this go beyond cake. That is unless something more important crops up image

Angela I You should work for the tourist board, you paint such a brilliant picture of the lakes. I need to take my wife and little heroes there! I will stop talking about wine events for now but have placed British Wine Week in my diary!!

• Options

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11383_10100996602008749_7366158507944880787_n.jpg?oh=c94b6ec68d7958ae5c06b9c75cd26fea&oe=5506C4DB&__gda__=1426461926_d337de511deabf25a2a41ce1b3923a10

This was me at mile 14 of the lakeland trails marathon in July...  It went all the way around Lake Coniston, and this was the highest point... isn't it breathtaking (although slightly ruined by my neon orange!)

• Options

Wow!! Angela that is stunning!!  Are you nearly in the clouds?

I like the socks also!

• Options

That looks stunning, this is the type of race I love. More of a hike though by the looks of it Angela. image

• Options

Superman yep with you on that one too!! Dare I ask about Gavin and Stacey?

Angela I always starts out colour coordinated and perfectly turned out! IS that Coniston in the background? eek

• Options

Just checked Strava, it was 2500ft elevation gain through the marathon.  The highest point was 941ft... so just less than a mountain I guess, but yes, sometimes clouds are that low, though not on that day, It was actually very hot, but the hills in the view behind are a bit higher, so the air forms clouds as it rises to get over those mountains...

• Options

Tigger Now we are talking. James Corden follows me on twitter, he's all about the Superhero love, I'm all over Gavin & Stacey!!  image

Angela Unreal stats!!

• Options

Ginger, I did lots of marathons this year as training for my first ultra, so the idea was to walk the hills, however, it started on relatively low flat land, so I went out quite fast.. by about 8 miles, the heat started to get to me, and I felt a bit sick, so slowed right down, and was more 'on it' with fuelling and hydration.  Ended up finishing around 4:45ish (I can't actually remember), It was actually the downhills that were more difficult.  Hmm, I definitely run more than I walked.. 

Yes, Tigger, that's Coniston in the background!  As much as my feet swelled, I didn't paddle in the lake afterward, as it was too difficult to take my socks off.  I did send Mr. I to the ice cream van to get me an ice cream though.  our campsite was only a couple miles from the finish line and overlooking the lake as well.  Was a lovely birthday trip image

• Options

Has anyone read 'Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession by Richard Askwith'.

A great read if you love hills!

• Options

Afternoon 3:30ers! This seems to be the busiest thread from the competiton.

Good to see you having another try at this Superman. What was your speedy 5k time that you ran on the track?

Karen - 3:30 seems like an easy target for you with those times. I ran 3:29 in 2013 and my HM time was 6 mins slower than yours and 5k and 10k times were also much slower. 

• Options

Slowkoala Hello again, and thanks. I did 20.36 on the track this year. I felt I could have gone faster but it was supposed to be structured, balanced, equal splits and not straining. I have managed 20.07 for a 5k on the road this year. 

• Options

Angela - Thats some time for what Ive heard is a pretty nails race! I was also using marathons as training and I totally know what you mean about the downhills. I did the NDW50 in May and that was emotional. I just couldn't run downhill towards the end, I felt like something was about to snap!

Anyone else training tonight by the way?

• Options

I was meant to train this afternoon, was gonna do 6 miles, with middle 3.5 miles at marathon pace, but I've not eaten properly today and just didn't feel I had the energy for it, so am studying some advanced resistance training instead and will do the run in the morning once the sun rises... I hate doing anything at pace in the dark.

• Options

You betcha Gingermagic 10 miler for me, 8min pm pace, how bout you bud?

• Options

Karen, I agree with Koala, 3:30 should be an easy target for you- I'm sure you're looking more in the 3:20 area?  Not read that book yet.  I get so many running books recommended to me on amazon- used to always get them but have been quite disappointed with some of them, so I prefer to find other people's blogs to follow...

• Options

Just a steady 4 miles for me tonight. Then I'm going to undo all the good work at the running clubs xmas drinks tonight. image

• Options

SupermanRuns - My 6 year old daughter is chomping at the bit to get going with ParkRun, not got a Jnr PR by us so it's all or nothing!  We've done the course a few times, and she just about managed it (I had her on and off my shoulders for last Km).  She's the one pushing me for it, what do you reckon the the right age is or do you think it should just be down to if they want to do it then do it?

P.s. She's picked her outfit for a weekend in Paris already - No Pressure Daddy, she's 6 going on 26!