ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

Comments

• iMcLav Brilliant question that. Well my 8 year old has done it 8 times now. 1st time was a mix of walk run but since then she has just upped the running as she has seen fit. She loves it and epitomises what Parkrun is about. We mix up who she runs with, there was one weekend when I was all set to try and do a PB and she asked to run with me, no contest, she PB'd and I was overjoyed. My youngest has asked to just do one lap this weekend so we will.

I think you just have to gauge how they are, by the sounds of it she could be ready, especially if you adopt a run/walk/strategy. Please let me know how you get on, I love stories like this. image

• Hi guys, just to let you know my campaigning for the next 4 days will be from Salzburg, Austria. The other half is from there and we're flying out tomorrow morning to see the family. So standby for some epic alpine training photos!

How's everyone's training been tonight. Nice uneventful 4 miles for me tonight. Feeling good and invigorated by this whole experience!
  • Gingermagic Safe trip buddy. Look forward to some epic photos. In turn I will provide some alternative rubbish standard pics!! image

• Haha cheers mate. Looking forward to these standard photos! ????
  • What sort of training paces do you let currently use, and any idea what the plan will say for the lucky one? Just SupermanRuns doing 10 miles at marathon pace seems a bbit contary to everything I've read about training. 

I did a gentle 9mm 8 mile run home from work. My legs are a bit sore still from a sports massage I had on Tuesday...

• The Running Andy Probably says everything about why I need help image

Do you benefit from sports massages? Apart from being sore tonight? 

• Ha Ha SupermanRuns could well be, might help explain your faster shorter distances but the lack of endurance.

I seem to live with very tight calves think partly because I insist on running in Nike Free's with a mid-foot strike, if I don't get a massage every now and then I get to the point I can barely walk first thing in the morning! This time I'd left going a bit too long so my masseuse had to go deep, I'm sure I screamed a few times... doesn't normally still ache a couple of days after.

• Hi guys, back from daily lifeimage I had a sports massage today by the lovely Janine. I see her every 2-3 weeks. As I am always battering my legs, Janine works her magic on them and I couldn't imagine life without her. The Running Andy, I think that maybe that you should ask Santa for a foam roller for those calves.

Slow Koala and Angela, yes I am aiming to get as much under 3.30 as possible. I wouldn't say that it will be easy for any of us thoughimage If I train hard enough, I may do a 3.20, great guess Angela. If I train really really really hard, I may do 3.18? That would be awesome,

How old are both of your children Superman? My girl is 8 and my boy is 5. They have been going to running club for a while and ran a few 1k races! They are going to Park Run Eastbourne with me for the first time this week.

IMcLav, I have seen other children this age at Park run, they don't tend it to race it, but jog round so your lovely daughter should be fineimage

Have fun in Austria Gingermagic, Can't wait to see pics!

• Oomph, fast thread. Angela, that view makes me want to do that race.

Gingermagic, have fun in Salzberg.

As for kids at parkrun, there are some super speedy ones in Bristol. Put me to shame!
  • Karen I do have a "The Stick" to roll out my calves, but I'm a wuss! Can't never get into the knots deep enough myself.

parkrun kids annoy me, there's just no need for them to be so fast even the ones in pushchairs have a habit of beating me. Just no respect for their elders!!! 

• Karen My girls are 4&8. Hope they enjoy Parkrun, it really is brilliant I might get The Running Andy over and he can race them. image

Hope you had a good day Ruffles image

I swear by a foam roller and Sarah from RW does to so if its good enough for her, its bloomin well good enough for me. 

• I could handle been beaten by your kids, little superbeings a mere mortal like me wouldn't stand a chance image 

• The Running Andy You are providing some excellent humour to this thread, thanks! image

• Karen, I'd be really interested in following our progress, even if you don't get selected, as your 5k and 10k PBs are similar to mine (also from this year), but your half is 5 mins faster. I've only done one half so hope to get a PB next year but I'm pretty sure I couldn't run sub 1:30! What training did you do to get that speedy time?!

I have an 8yo too and he's run a few 5k parkruns. I try to make sure he can still talk when he runs as this ensures he's not going too fast. But he has asked me if I can pace him on Saturday so that he can get a PB! I think it's unfair that the kids get a T Shirt after just 10 runs! It will take me ages to get to 50.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Slowkoala - good to see you here! 

Was your half PB on a hard course? Mine was 1:34 but then I did Dorney this year (flat as a pancake) and sneaked under 1:30.

I'm convinced my improvements have been down to two things: losing some weight and running easier courses!

Problem is I've done all the flat ones. I now need to find downhill ones...or go on hunger strikeimage

• Slowkoala Good luck with the pacing and I think everyone agreed with the t-shirts. I suspect it will increase quickly from 10 now so many more kids are doing it. 

• Just popping over from the First Timer thread where I've mostly been sticking my nose in (as that's the level I'm at), but I'm liking how busy and bustling your thread is. Lots of great contenders in this category, well done to you all for getting this far. 

• Hi Malcs, good to see you running so well (I lurk on your thread sometimes!)

My HM time was from a flat course but is almost 2 years old now. I managed to do 1:09:47 for a 10 mile race in November but going sub 1:30 would require a faster pace for a longer distance so don't think I'm there yet! I'm only 7 stone so don't think losing weight would help. Will just have to find a downhill course (or one that's measured too short). Tempted by Dorney if it's pancake flat.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Blimey, 7 stone? Are you visible from sideways on? 

Dorney is great. It's very flat but is often windy. It was extremely windy this year but because you do 4 laps of the lake it all evens out. 

Only possible downside if you like your PBs to count is that it's not a UKA event so you can't use the time on Run Britain / Power of 10. 

• Hi everyone. This thread is setting the standard! Thanks Ruffles can't wait to get out there it's my favourite place. They've got life right out there I think. Karen I'll work on getting some great photos for you. I love running out there as well, the air seems fresher. Constantly having mountains in view and very friendly runners who will always acknowledge you.

Sorry I've missed a lot of the discussion tonight. I was at my clubs Xmas drinks where I won a mug and some amazing gloves! I'll put a picture on in a bit. More importantly, I didn't get one of the London places. Which I'm kind of glad about. I've got a place for Manchester that month and of course you never know I could be off to Paris as well. Good night though and another time where I can just talk about running and this whole crazy experience. It made me realise tonight when answering so many questions tonight just how lucky I am to get to this stage. It's mind blowing for me!

I'll quickly say then on some of the things that've been mentioned. Foam rollers, I now swear by them. Essential bit of kit. Kids in parkruns? The more the better. It's great to see kids the same age as Karen's speeding of the start line. I hope to encourage my little girl to do the same! Also welcome to the forum Slowkoala and Frocker! Still gutted for you Frocker that you didn't make it. You deserved a place based on how much you wanted it!

I need to be up at 4 so I'll say goodnight folks! Ready for day 3 tomorrow!
  • Morning all. I'm at Stansted, extremely tired. Silly me staying up late. Hope to get on here later on! ????
  • Hi speedy ones! Hope you're all well. I'm from the first timers- love, love, love my running- all times if the day/night and in all weather..... So what are you hoping for for Christmas?
  • /members/images/605816/Gallery/946888_10151622398759655_2110295009_n.jpg

Morning Harriet, Morning Gingermagic, Morning Allimage Not the best nights sleep, but its the weekend now,.. so soon more time for running!

Hey Slow Koala, that would be cool, we can geek out together on our times and training runs! I do need to confess that my HM PB is about 3 years old, I reckon I'm about a 7.30 minute mile, I seem to get a  lot of 1.33'simage which I need to work so hard at getting. We are all a bit nuts, we must have some sort of nutty obsessive running gene to want to hurt ourselves in this way to get our highs!

The 5k Park run should be interesting, my daughter is more like her dad i.e. "is it time to stop for a coffee yet" I will certainly be bribing her with the idea of that t-shirt!

Gingermagic, great gloves I see. Perfect for running up those mountains Julie Andrews styleimageimage

• I missed the taking your child to parkrun, maybe that's why I hate them so much jealousy, since I got into running late in life my son was a grumpy teen by the time I started parkrunning so has no interest in anything other than hiding in his bedroom... your two have that mischievous look about them Karen, bet they can be a handful.

What are everyones target times for a spring marathon? guess everyone following this is hoping sub 3:30, but how far into the sub? I've seen Karen say 3:15! super speedy!! Me at my current fitness level I'm thinking 3:39:59 would make me happy! but 2 months ago I was confident I could target 3:29:59, hoping stalking the winner will drag me back up to full fitness for a sub 3:30.   

• Ruffles it was a fab race and a bit emotional at times as well.  Karen, my garmin tells me I should be able to do 3:19 and sometimes it says 3:15- it calculates my VO2 max from tough workouts and gives a race prediction- it's been fairly accurate for the shorter distances when in marathon training, - last year I was going for sub 3:45 it was telling me 3:35 and I ended up doing 3:39, so I'm gonna hit somewhere between my goal of a Boston qualifier 3:35 and what the garmin is telling me 3:19, and am training to 3:23.  Endurance was always my problem so has been my training focus for a long time- my shorter races aren't as quick as yours but in line with each other and my goal, although I haven't run a half marathon to race it since dorney.

the 'hand of god' as Malcs called it then was both a help and a hindrance- very annoying it doesn't go on run britain!!

running Andy, start marathon training now!! Why miss out on 4 weeks and theN you can give yourself the best shot of achieving your goal!!  I started about 6 weeks ago image 

• Morning all. Thank Crunchie its Friday.....

Slowkoala I would recommend Dorney, excellent race albeit expensive. Only downside, possible sidewinds as it is exposed however what you lose one side you gain the other side.

Frocker Hello, nice to see you popping up on different threads. So much to  gain and learn from them all.

Harriet Burrows2 Well before deciding what I want for Christmas I just hope my Advent calander on the 10th comes with welcome news image  How about you?

Karen As I have said elsewhere those are gorgeous kids, its a lovely photo.

My spring marathon if not Paris will be Brighton & London. The latter is not about time, it will be about running in someone's memory so I don't care how shot the legs are when I get there. And I will be following this thread and this programme of course.

Angela Continued good luck on your journey to Boston, the greatest race of all time. I have yet to train to heart rate, do you think it helps improve performance.

• Running Andy, I have two teens as well and they are usually in bed when I come back from parkrun! I've run 3:29 before so am hoping for anything faster than that if the training goes OK. Having got injured this year and missed out on London, I think getting through the training uninjured will be my main goal.

Malcom, it would be nice to have some weight to lose as it seems to be the easiest way to get faster. I think the Dorney HM is in Feb when I'm doing the Brighton one which can also be quite windy.

Thanks for the welcome Gingermagic - I've actually been on the forum for a couple of yearsimage

Karen, yes I think we are all mad. Sometimes at the start of a session or a race, I tell myself 'you don't have to do this', but I always feel better afterwards. Do you have any HMs booked? Do you have any marathons booked like Superman for if you don't get selected?

Superman/Angela, I'm interested in training by HR too but am worried it might take some of the fun out of running. Your training sounds very precise, Angela and is obviously paying off. I got a HR monitor with my Garmin but it's still in the box!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

So, Elin posted a picture of herself on Twitter pulling some impossible yoga move. I'm still trying to work out whether smoke and mirrors were involved but so far it looks like it's genuine.

My question to you is this - can the rest of you do this pose and are you prepared to post pictures to prove it?

Please note that use of Photoshop is strictly forbidden....and super powers are definitely not allowed!image