ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

Comments

• Superman/Koala, I don't actually train to heart rate, I just measure it as I'm training- I train to pace, as whoever wins on here will end up doing with the plan that Steve or Sam sets them.  However, if I am aware of my resting heart rate and my max, and if I am feeling a bit unsure about running I check my resting pulse.  If its significantly higher than usual, I don't train.  I have to be especially careful about this in winter as I have asthma, and if I do succumb to a uRTI, it can lead to me being out of training for weeks rather than days.  That said, I'm doing a half iron tri later in the year, and because the bike is a bit different- pace doesn't always marry up with effort, I will be (and have been) doing my bike training using heart rate zones.  All I would say is that its a good measure to make sure that you are doing your hard sessions hard, and your easy sesssions easy.  Most people often fall into the middling area, which I'm guessing for Superman is somewhere around an 8 minute mile, hence 10 miles at that pace.

As for precision Koala, that's just me!  I'm quite goal oriented, and when I set a goal, I break it down into achievable actions yada yada... it seems to be working image I just went out for a training run- 5 miles, with middle 3 miles at Marathon pace (7:45).

• Morning first-timers and hello from the sub-3 category! Best of luck over the next few days..

• Thomas Cheers hello and same for you.

SlowKoala I confess my HR is in my box like you. but I am open to considering its benefits. Angela My neighbour uses it to train to rate and swears by it. I also love your breakdown in to achievables, Holly Rush ultra runner swears by this and was explaining the benefits during our Q&A at bootcamp last week, I am on board. And nice morning run btw.

Malcs Nothing would help me achieve that yoga pose. Can we just play rock paper scissors or connect 4 instead?

• Guten Morgen! I've arrived in Austria, no snow though. I seen that picture Malcs there is no way that is possible! I may give it a go later if I'm feeling brave!

Slowkoala, yeah I just meant welcome to our page. I've also been around a few years but I'm a lurker. image

Karen they are awesome! But kind of seizure inducing at the same time. I can't wait to get out and train around here.

Andy I think with a solid 16 weeks behind me I could get round in 3.25 barring any disasters. And it will be Manchester if I don't get to Paris.

Always been interested in measuring and training by HR, just seems like such a faff! I just like to run on feel and by sticking to certain paces.
  • Malcs - I saw some impressive flexibility from Elin in Sarah O'Connor's session, she's one bendy girl.  I look like an arthritic old lady in comparison!

• I also saw Elin's incredible yoga pose on Twitter, wow she's flexible! I gave it a quick go and nearly gave myself a hernia... Definitely time to take Sarah's advice from last Friday and add some Pilates into my weekly routine!

So sub-3ers, I was wondering what the best race you've ever run was, why and what did you learn about yourself and your running from it? (Doesn't have to be where you set a PB, might be because of the company/scenery/time of year or just the one where you felt completely like you were flowing and floating on air...)

Hope you're all enjoying the campaigning; it looks such fun! 

• Hi Buxton running bunny. Easy choice for me. My favourite race was the NDW 50 in May this year. Finishing was huge for me and it maybe wasn't my most enjoyable but to finish, that'll live with me forever. The scenery was also amazing up and down rolling hills. With 5,500ft of ascent. Brutal but beautiful.
  • Angela I, My marathon training starts in 2 weeks time, I have a half marathon on the 14th then training begins. Gives me 20-21 week training. Hopefully shouldn't take me long I think to build my confidence of a sub 3:30 back up, after a few speed sessions and some proper long runs. 

I'm off to try out yoga tonight, no way I'll be even attempting an Elin pose though.

• Angela, precision is good in my book! I think you're more likely to reach your goals that way. I've always been guilty of doing most of my running in that middling area. When I trained before for a marathon I did all my long runs around 20 secs slower than MP but somehow got away with it. This time I'm following the P&D schedule and will need to make more of a distinction between hard and soft sessions.

Superman - I'll see you at London in April! Anyone else running this?

• What's on people's training agenda tonight then? No running for me tonight as Ive got visiting family obligations. But I'll be out tomorrow running along the saalach river. Itching to go.
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭

London - yup guilty as charged

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

A running and Superman themed joke:

Pinocchio, Snow White, and Superman are out for a stroll in town one day.. As they walk, they come across a sign:
    "Beauty contest to find the most beautiful woman in the world.."
    "I am entering" said Snow White. After half an hour she comes out and they ask her, "Well, how'd ya do?"
    " First Place ," said Snow White. They continue walking and they see a sign:
    "Contest to find the strongest man in the world.."
    "I'm entering," says Superman. After half an hour he returns and they ask him, "How did you make out?""
    First Place ," answers Superman. "Did you ever doubt it?"
    They continue walking when they see a sign: "Contest! Who is the greatest liar in the world?"
    Pinocchio enters. After half an hour he returns with tears in his eyes... "What happened?" they asked.
    "Who the f...k is *OSCAR PISTORIUS*?" asked Pinocchio

• yup, I'm in London image koala 

Running Andy, I'm so jealous you're doing a half- I really wanted to do one this side of Christmas to see where I was, but the only one that was possible sold out about a day before I tried to enter it! so I have to wait until January.  Good luck with it!

Ginger, I trained in the morning, but then did't do my legs strength session I  was planning this afternoon as have realised weekend commitments mean I'm gonna have to do my long run in the morning... 18 miles and I'll do it via parkrun!

Brilliant joke DS2, image 

• Ah smart running Angela. I wish I lived close enough to a Parkrun to run there, do it and run back. I'm stuck in between either Cambridge, Kings Lynn or a couple in Thetford. Need to do parkruns, that sub 20 barrier is something I want to achieve!
  • Buxton running bunny Another awesome question. Are you a mole sent from RW? You could be one of Lord Sugar's aide's. image

The run I would put down would just have to be my first ever London Marathon. It was the start of my marathon journey. 5hrs 10. 20 years later I remember it like it was yesterday. It still puts a smile on my face thinking about it. Well most of it. Not going down the stairs to the tube station backwards anyway.

Angela / Slowkoala London Baby - YAY!!

DS2 cracking joke there.

• Hi Guys, back from work, I think if I knew then, what I know now I would have taken some leave!! 

Hi Running Andy, why not start this weekend rather than in 2 weeks time? You will get sub 3.30 imageimage

SlowKoala - Yes I have Hastings Half in March, which I do most years and also Brighton Half in Feb. Got to love a winter seaside half.

What Halfs are other people planning on doing? IT WOULD BE GREAT TO MEET UP?

I'm not going to mention the yoga moves..... what yoga moves??

I'm off to Hastings AC Xmas dinner/dance tonight, after kids swimming club. Hoping to get some lucky votes tonightimage Got my Bootcamp Top on, looks v smart with my black trousers,

Now guys,  heels or no heels?

• Karen Go for heels surely?  Have a great evening.  image

I am going to purchase myself a running diary. Does anyone else do it? If so, what do you write in it? What kind of run? Weather? Food intake? 

• I am sure, like me you will want to vote for Jo Pavey in the SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR. If you do want to do it for free on line then register here:

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/id/register?ptrt=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/

She proved age is just a number and to never give up on her dreams. What a hero! 

• Bit late Karen but I hope it was heels! I'm down for the Watford half on the 1st of Feb at the moment. Which is quite a hilly one apparently.

Totally agree superman. Jo will get plenty of votes from me and I would encourage you all to do the same! What she has achieved in the last year is incredible.
  • The diary thing as well. I never considered it until bootcamp when all the pro team and Holly Rush swore by them. I think I'll be starting one up when the spring marathon training starts.
  • Oooh, I love that you think I may be a mole from RW SupermanRuns!!! I can assure you I'm not tho... (Or am I?!?!?!?)

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

You could also consider the MyAsics app:

http://my.asics.co.uk/

I used it all through the campaign to log run stats and other details. I then used it for my 10K training afterwards as well. Got a bit lazy for autumn marathon though but I plan to go back and fill in the blanks from my Garmin data. 

Worth a look. If you win you'll be expected to use it anyway!

• Ah.  There's some action here.  It's dead in the sub-3 forum.  I suspect that people have been dragged off by their partners for some R&R after a few days heavy campaigning.  I however am still here as I'm the taxi service for my girlfriend's work Christmas party tonight. 

I'm surprised we haven't been asked another of your questions yet Buxton running bunny.

I hope it's all going well for you guys.  I've been amazed by the amount of support that friends, family and fellow runners have given me but find it strange not knowing what level of votes I've got.

• Evening!

Superman I used a diary this year for the marathon and half iron and I really enjoyed doing it. It's nice to feel smug when looking back at how hard you've worked! 

• Top tip that Malcs thanks. Pete, this whole process has highlighted to me so much the kindness and willingness of people to get behind their man/woman. It's been a bizarre experience so far but one I'm enjoying so so much. I don't know whether I'd prefer to have the vote counter like last year. Good point that Ruffles, a spring marathon training diary will be up and running!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Pete - believe me it's better not to know how the votes stand! Last year they were on permanent public view and it was so stressful. Another day and I'd have been committed!

Ruffles - I just had a look back and thought, how the hell am I going to run that fast again! image 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

David - I'm impressed that you're taking the time to post while you're away, that is dedication! 

I use a Mac app called Rubitrack to store all my Garmin data. However, I'd never recorded other info like how I felt on the run, whether I was recovering from injury or indeed when I missed runs due to injury.

That's the sort of stuff I find really useful to look back on. When you're feeling down about not being able to run it really helps to see how you've recovered in the past and how little you lose in terms of fitness - we're all paranoid about that aren't we?!