Options

ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

Comments

• Options

Malcs - good point. I'm struggling enough to concentrate at work as it is, let alone if I was checking the vote counter each 15 minutes. I guess that also aligns with what they said at bootcamp about the decision not being made solely on the basis of the votes.

• Options

Good Evening Sub 3.30s!!! Some good conversation going on here, Trying to get some cross conversations going if you would like?!

What is Everyones favourite post long run food? 

Please post your answers to the Sub 4.30 group and ask us back a question if you want image

• Options

Question for Malcs as a successful sub 3:30-er (twice to date!) What were the biggest factors in achieving your goal last year? Strength training and conditioning? Speed work? Nutrition?

Great forum by the way. Particularly enjoyed the parkrun theme as a self confessed parkrun geek with a young 'un.

• Options

Pete Hi, I can only concur with Malcs, last years LIVE vote count was so stressful. Better this way in which you are being judged on what you are doing. Great to see you pop over. I am rather fearful of your thread, you guys are so speedy. Good luck though. 

Buxton running bunny I am not convinced!! imageimageimage

Kirsten I will pop over but I am already a big fan of an immediate milk and banana smoothie as advised by Holly Rush. Love it! 

• Options
    Can't let it slip Malcs. This is the most competitive group in my opinion.

Kirsten I'll be on your thread tomorrow. I'm absolutely shattered and an hour ahead of you guys. But I will just say the last thing I had was a toffee fudge goodness shake and that sorted me right out.
  • Options

But no hind nor hair of the missing member???? Does anyone know what he is doing??

So so glad there is no vote counter. That must have been massive pressure :-0

Went for flats in the end BTW,

Goodnight all zzzzzzzzz

• Options

Night Gingermagic Karen imageimage zzzzzzz

• Options

Ps well done on your trophy Karen brilliant performance! 

• Options

Thanks Soups.... Night night XXimage

• Options

Morning! Just getting some jam on toast in me ahead of parkrun. It looks chilly out!

Karen - am surprised the other David has done no campaigning. It's a shame as am sure there were others in our group that would have loved to get through, like Pirate Chef. I'm not including myself as RW said they hadn't wanted to put me through voting again only not to have the Judges pick someone with a better chance of breaking 3.30. Last years voting was so stressful, am glad I don't have to go through it if there's no chance of winning.

Right, the person who gets my vote today is the one with the most embarrassing running story. Who wants to go first? 

• Options

Ooops pressed submit to early there. Have a great parkrun everyone. Ruffles have a lovely run, embarrassing stories later me thinks.image

• Options

Hi SupermanRuns.  There's nothing to be fearful of! I'm just a regular runner who's learning as I go and enjoying the experience.  This is an amazing opportunity to try and shave some time of my marathon PB, hopefully around 10 minutes, but if it doesn't materialize it's not going to affect who I am or why I run. 

Thanks for the hospitality on this thread.  I'm loving the whole 'community' feel that this has developed into.  I had no idea that it would be like this when I entered as I've never entered this competition before.

Buxton running Bunny - are we sub-3 aspirants going to be asked the same question?  If so I'd better get thinking.  The only really embarrassing story that springs to mind would probably result in me loosing votes rather than attracting any.  It's probably best shared as a post-training story in the pub.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Parkrun done and dusted 19:49, bit off my PB but happy enough - always a great start to a Saturday image

Hans C - many thanks, and good question! Speed work made the biggest difference for me. 3 speed sessions a week with all the variety that Steve puts into his schedules was a complete change from what I'd been doing before.

On top of that the nutrition side was huge. I moved to a 6 meal a day system which helped with fuelling training runs. Pre bed time bowls of cereal meant that early morning long runs were always done with plenty of fuel in the tank.

In race fueling I'd already nailed thanks to following Ady's thread the year before. Carboloading the proper way and nutrition in-race has transformed my marathon experience as I'd always struggle after the 20 mile mark.

Karen - No idea where the other David is. I find it really strange that someone wouldn't be engaging in the process when there's such a big opportunity up for grabs. There's no sign of him on Twitter either. I wonder if he's having technical issues or if he's decided that it isn't for him?

We weren't kidding when we said that being part of the 5 is a huge commitment. There's all the training and then the forum and social media stuff to do on top. That's not for everyone. 

Pete - most of the threads on here are just like this. There's an amazing amount of support and camaraderie. Maybe a little less excitement as of course there's a huge prize up for grabs but the community feel is definitely there.

• Options

Ruffles - yes it's a shame one of us other bootcampers didn't get to prolong the dream by another ten days

Having said that, although I reckon I have the stamina for a sub 3.30 race, I don't think I have the same energy to keep up with the social media monsters image

• Options
    Morning all, just about to head out for a wee run through the Austrian countryside. But of a hair of the dog run I'll admit. The Gl??hwein was flowing last night!

BK unlucky on not getting through. If you are who I think you are, Brian? You ran really well! If not Brian sorry! Lol.

Bring on day 4!
  • Options

That's me, Dave! Yes, a bit disappointed that the time trial result and previous PBs weren't enough to get through.

But I'm enjoying watching phase two unfold and for sure I'll be keeping up with the eventual winner.

keep up the good work!

• Options

Yes, it is a shame, I would have voted for Piratechef as he was really kind and gave me lifts to and from the station. But David2 may well appear and pull it out of the bag yet!

Max my son (5) did his first 5k at Park run Eastbourne today without stopping once, proud mummy was Iimage Fast time for you Malcs - Well done.

Ok Ruffles, embarassing story coming up..... Who here has seen the film Zoolander?? You must have all seen that film - Blue Steel pose!?!..... Well anyway me and my fellow runners were in a long stage adventure race and feeling the pain so I thought I would try and cheer them up. Guys, do you remember the scene where Ben Stiller tries to outdo Hansel by pulling his pants out of his trousers in the Dance Off? ....... (You know what is coming next!).........

Well yes I thought I would try this move, so I ripped my pants at the side in one legs of my tights, announced that I was doing the 'Dance Off',..... did a few wiggles etc then .....da .....da..... went to pull my pants out!!!!!........

3 problems....... 1, I didn't rip my pants enough times for it to work...........2, No-one had seen Zoolander (!!)...........3. I got a massive Wedgie imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Struggling to post on my mobile todY. Paddington Bear at the cinema now. Be back later.
  • Options

Jeeez!! you're all night owls!! tons of posts after I went to bed!  I did parkrun this morning, in the midst of an 18 mile run- just got back!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE that my average pace was 8:58 and it was genuinely an easy effort image #vmlmtraining

parkrun time was 26.42 a local running club did the volunteering today - every month or so we get a club to do the volunteering as it saves us from the effort of drumming up volunteers, and they can advertise their club and get new members, anyhoo, the timer clearly wasn't a regular parkrunner as she didn't recognise me so was incredulous at how calm and collected I looked crossing the finish line (6 minutes slower than usual!) I only just made it to the start as the runners set off - I usually cut it fine, but not THAT fine!  was a lovely run, but I can tell i'm babbling, and thats coz i neeeeeed to thaw out!! image

• Options
    Ah I thought so Brian! Aye I'll be following the winner as well!

Karen that's brilliant! I love that film! Did David Bowie disqualify you!!?? Lol!

Just back from a lovely run. Crisp, fresh mountainous air. Beautiful.
  • Options
    Lol! I submit. Karen has got blue steel nailed down. I also can't turn left. Sorry if you haven't seen Zoolander you probably think we're mental! image
  • Options

Karen that's hillarious, you get my vote today! image

Just had a lovely parkrun with Frocker and her dog and stretched it to 7 miles by running there and back. Lovely day for it! 

• Options

Love the pics Karen! Chilly, icy parkrun this morning. I ran with my Max, my 8 year old and he managed to knock over a minute off his previous time, finishing in 26:36. I wish it was that easy to get a PB as an adult. Beautiful morning but the course was a bit icy in parts.

Karen - well done to your Max too! 5k non stop is a lot for 5 yo legs.

Malcs - shows how much you have come on when you can bash out a sub 20 as easily as that.

• Options

Karen love those pics, brilliant and loved your story. imageAnd well done Max, my 8 yr old still stops a few times. 

Malcs I still remember those heady days when you had a 20 min something PB!! 

Pete Great words there, best of luck with it all!image

A 10 miler this morning followed by a brilliant Parkrun. Junior didnt get a PB but it was lovely running with her and the frosty weather was just great. But best of all, wifey told me her time after she finished 31 mins and said 'Im pleased with that, not a PB but good time'   Now I know her PB was over 32 mins as I paced her for it so I waited for the penny to drop about her new PB, only to find it didnt. So I decided I must have been wrong (nothing new there)  Anyway, an hour later this happy scream came from upstairs as her text came through with a PB alert. She is soooo happy now!! 

SlowKoala Well done Max!!!! 

• Options

And Paddington Bear. A definite must see. Yes its cheesy and yes you can see some of the jokes coming but some great additional 'adult only references' and whats there not to love about a furry bear found at a London Station. Bloody chuffing loved it. 

• Options
    One thing I'd love all your opinions on is when you change your shoes? We were advised by Sarah Connors at bootcamp that it should be at every 200 miles! I've been sticking to a rule of changing every 6 months and I could end of running around 700-800 miles in that time. What do you guys think?
  • Options

Hi Gingermagic hows the trip buddy? Looks great.....  I have four pairs of running shoes now. One trail shoes. One pair of racing flats for 5k / 10k races or track. And then two pairs of longer run shoes. I bought one pair in June and one pair in Oct. I use the newer pair for my long slow runs and the older pair for tempo or recovery runs etc. Then I change the older pair every 6 months, with the new pair being used for the long slow runs and the remaining pair becoming used for the tempo recovery runs etc. That way you are never wearing the same pair of shoes on a too regular basis. I have only every read 400-500 miles being the optimum time to change shoes. of course I could be complete wrong in this and await further input eagerly.