dingle ultra

2»

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

There's a very good train from Dublin (Heuston - incl. transfers from the airport) to Galway if that's any help. (I asked them if they also had a Hedgeware Road but they didn't seem to get the joke ...)

For Dingle it's Cork airport and car hire. There is a Kerry airport but I'm not sure if it's in use.

I do very low mileage in training but I concentrate on the long run which would build up to about 28-30 miles two weeks before.  Did you say you've done the ultra before?

Good rate for euros at the moment!!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Entry in for Connemara Ultraimage

amster - T-Rex is right re Dingle logistics, fly to Cork and hire car, nice drive.   I think there are only flights to Kerry from Luton and it's Ryanairimage

I haven't booked my flights for Connemara yet, was hoping Aer Lingus were going to do Bristol/Shannon flights again this year but doesn't look likely.  So I'll fly to Cork and drive to Galway.   Dublin is a quicker drive but takes longer as the car hire is not on the airport site so need to add an hour to travel time.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

For Connemara consider Knock airport, Co Mayo.  So small, friendly and car hire much simpler. You get in and out of there so much quicker.  About the same length of car journey timewise to Galway as Shannon. There is an extra 10 euro departure tax, cash only, though.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

T-Rex - it's like being mugged when you leave Knock airport having to queue up to hand over your 10 euroimage

amster - Dartmoor Discovery race is almost full for this year, entries opened 2 days ago.  But there is a good chance of a place through the transfer list if you don't get in.   Postal entries only, details here http://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/

• Thanks for that. T Rex I ran Connemara Ultra in 2011 and loved every second, the scenery is amazing. Shades great that you have entered. I can't run the Dartmoor race as we are at a wedding. I will have to try and enter next year. Been out for a run this afternoon the wind and rain just didn't ease up, we were all soaked but we all had a good laugh we would not have won any beauty competitions, maybe who looked like the best drowned rat. Have a great weekend.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

amster - maybe next year for DD then.

There's something virtuous (and slightly mad) about running in weather like that, good fun though.

• Well here goes just over a week to Connemara Ultra marathon, just got problem with plantar fascilitis ' been physio last week going again this week and rest so hopefully all's well for the big day can't wait been really looking forward to it as I Iast ran this race in 2011 .  TRex hope your training is going well. We are flying out on the Friday evening and staying in oughterade which should be good for the bus in the morning.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

How did folks do in Connemara?  I felt very sorry not being there after 11 consecutive years, but at least I had the chance to do my first American ultra, the American River 50 on 4 April.  I flew back into Dublin about 1130 on race morning so just too late to do anything.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

T-Rex - Well I went to Galway but never made the start line of Conne Ultra.   Woke at 3 am and was vomiting for the next hour, back to sleep but when the alarm went off at 5 am I still felt ill and there was no way I could have run a mile never mind 39.3.   Never happened to me before and I was very disappointed at the time, over it now.

But horrified at the expo to find that the lady ultra runners were given pink shirts, Ray would never have done that!.   I won't wear pink and managed to swap mine for a dayglo yellow one, not ultra, nor ladies, but at least I can use it for training despite not having done this year's race.

I think the weather was cold for the ultra, amster will let us know.

Hope the wedding and your ultra went well.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Shades - They both did, thanks.  I use the Snowdonia marathon thread as a kind of blog, as a few others do, so you can read my report there if you like!

Sorry to hear you were poorly.  Had you done the invitational marathon the day before?   Also sorry not organised by Ray any more - his approach was unique and of a high standard.

Mimi A would wear pink!!

I would hope to enter again in 2016.