Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

199100101102103105»

Comments

• Options
    Well done Sean image Blimey, that's quite a massive chunk below 20 image
  • Options
    And Happy Birthday, you youngsterimage
  • Options

Cheers guys, I took the easy option on Saturday and ran a different Parkrun to my usual one in Folkestone. 

Pegwell Bay is flatter and circular, hence the big PB.

Hopefully going back to Folkestone next week to see if I can also get under 20. Although that course is more undulating and has three switchbacks, so is difficult to get momentum.

• Options

Sean - I think the course makes a big difference with parkrun as it's such a short distance.

Another PB here today! Did a local 10 mile race (Ricky Road Run) which is very hilly but managed to shave 90s off my PB (which was from the Cabbage Patch which is flat) to finish in 68:20. A lovely scenic race but the hills hurt!

• Options

Sean, Happy Birthday to you for Saturday and well done on that PB. That's huge!

Well done Slowkoala as well!. This thread is getting too quick for me!

Frankfurt Marathon was great, I thoroughly recommend it as a flat, fast PB course. The finish is incredible. Its finishes in the festhalle under disco lights and 80's music! Great support all the way round as well. Being horribly under-trained and a bit out of shape I decided to take it easy and I struggled round in 4.24. My slowest but probably most enjoyable and memorable marathon.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Holy Sean-o-moly! Back of the net! That's awesome Sean. Nothing wrong with trying a flatter course either. I reckon it's a good tactic as there's a big mental barrier. Now that you've broken that somewhere else I bet you end up doing it on home turf too.

Belated birthday congrats! image

SK - it's raining PB's here! image Fabulous stuff, well done!

chicksta - I meant to ask before, are you doing London next April?

GM - very well done on getting round. It's bloody hard work when your training has been minimal. Great effort!

Do you remember what song you crossed to? 

Angela / GM - I'm entered for Essex 20 now! image

Foot update: showing a bit of improvement. Pain seems to be mostly in the arch now. I'm starting to not notice it as much when walking so that has to be a good sign, right? Today I even ran up the stairs image

I think it's still going to be a while before I can run anywhere else though as putting force through the foot at certain angles is still painful and everything is a bit odd feeling down there. However, progress at least. 

• Options
    Hiya Malcs!

Good to hear about the foot! Hoping it's not going to be much longer until you're back so you can continue to go faster and faster!

I crossed to, 'it's raining men'! Lol. It's got to be one of the best finishes out there. See you in Essex!
  • Options

Hey hey,

Well done Sean - amazing birthday parkrun, and Awesome performance from SK as well!

Looking forward to seeing you at the Essex 20 Malcs  - all the local runners will be upset that you non-essex runner beat them!! Its one of the Essex Championships races image Although I think they are opening it up to some sort of inter-county championship in 2016.

Ginger, Well done in Frankfurt!  Have you decided on your Spring marathon yet?  Quite rightly, Sean suggested we set up a new thread if you want to go ahead with the mentoring... BUT, We need to know which race you're working toward really. . .

No racing for me this weekend (well I did parkrun but didn't race it), but I did have the most glorious 14 mile run.  It was such a good run. The best long run I've had in absolutely ages!!!  I think the re-introduction of a strength routine is already showing benefits image 

• Options

Yes fresh start, with a new thread sounds good, how about:

sub 3:30 Gingermagic: #Irunsuccess ?

• Options

Cheers Angela! It was a good day out but a bit of a wake up call as to the work I've got to do to get anywhere near that 3.30. Looking forward to putting that work in though. image

I've been looking at marathons, specifically marathons in late March/early April time. Timing and finding the right location to suit is difficult taking into account the TP100 at the end of April. So I've decided to go for Manchester on the 10th of April. The 3.30 is something I really want to crack. I believe the work and miles I'm going to put in from now until the 30th of April when the TP100 takes place will get me through. It may mean just a slightly longer taper down to that race but I think I'll still be fit from the months of work beforehand. I think I can achieve what I want from both of these races and for the TP100 that is just finishing. Despite their relative closeness to each other. What do you reckon? I definitely would love to go ahead with the mentoring Angela. I would love to have you guys behind me for that 3.30 attempt. The forums collective knowledge and experiences would be fantastic.

I agree we should start a new thread. I like it Sean.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

GM - lol, perfect! image

Manchester is an excellent choice. Great to have one that's bang in the middle of the spring marathon season too as we should all be roughly in sync. 

I've not ever done an ultra so I can't offer any advice on whether the proximity of your two main events will be an issue. Your logic seems sound though and you have past experience so you know what's involved.

Looking forward to the new thread! image 

• Options

Ginger! Highly recommend Manchester!  Whilst its not my pb course (that was London this year), it was by far my BEST marathon ever.  Everything went right, and I think it helped that it was a nice big race, but there was very little congestion effects through the course- everyone seemed to start in the correct starting pen, and the streets were nice and wide.

Malcs/ Gingermagic  Your plan will be unconventional for a marathon.  Basically, we will have to work a LOT on building up your endurance engine, which means B2B long runs.  You may know I'm a big proponent of strength work (and I'm sure that's what made my run in Manchester so good) - given you're doing an ultra, I would find that even more important.  Prob best we jump on the phone to discuss your availability and expectations.  PM me your email address and I'll ping you some appointment times Ginger! image 

• Options

I liked Manchester as well. I got my 3.35 PB there last year and it really is a fast course. Good atmosphere in places as well, especially around Altrincham. 

All sounds really exciting Angela! I'm totally up for the hard work and back to back runs. Plus including strength work is something I need to do. I've never really been able to discipline myself to stick to it. I'll PM you shortly.

Malcs, I'm hoping its sound logic. I did something similar last year doing Manchester then doing the NDW50 4 weeks later with less of an endurance base than I think I'll gain this time round with Angela, yourself and the forum's expert advice! image

• Options

The new thread is up! image

• Options

Has anyone heard if RW are doing the Asics 262 competition again this year? I'm guessing not as we're now almost in November so they're running out of time. But just wondered if anyone had heard anything. 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hi Frocker! Hope you're well.

Sadly RW have confirmed there will be no competition this year image  

GM - awesome! Stick the kettle on, I'm on my way... image

• Options

Aww, that's a shame, but thanks for replying Malcs. 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

It is indeed a great shame. Sadly Asics are focusing on other areas in 2016. Who knows, it may return again in the future but sadly this year it's a no go.

• Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

Hello all, looks like there’s been lots going on here.

Particularly like the sound of the gingermagic/ angela dream team, should be very exciting & interesting to follow.  Good luck both! I was mentored in one of the forums last year and found it incredibly useful – ended up running much quicker HM & marathon than I thought I ever would so I’ve got every confidence in the process.  Will make this last post over here & migrate to the new thread.

Sean – great work matchmaking the dream team.  And nicely done at the parkrun, though there was never any doubt it would happen at some point, on some course or other.  Am sure you’ll replicate or improve on it at Folkestone sometime soon.

Slowkoala – adjusting for the hills, it sounds like you could have take an even bigger chunk off your 10 mile pb, well done.  You must have quite a list of pbs for 2015.  I’ve never run a 10m race so at least that might be an easy way to get a piece of the pb action

Gingermagic – well done in Frankfurt.  Potentially not that fun running a marathon when seriously underprepared so glad you enjoyed it.

Malcs – you’ve still got my sympathies with the foot thing, but glad it’s getting better to some degree.

My slow & steady progress seem to be going ok.  Managed 3 runs and just about 20 miles last week so another 2-3 weeks of similar without any problems and I’m sure I’ll start to think about proper training plans.  I can still feel the abdominal/ groin probs but it doesn’t seem to be aggravated by running.  Even think that the odd combinations of yoga & press-ups that I’m trying to do through the week might be helping.  So will keep going & see what happens. see you on the other thread!

• Options

I fear that I may be a missing mentor.... we need to get new thread pinned to the top so I can find it!!image

• Options

Hiya Sense,

Yeah despite the pain towards the end it was still a great day out. Its the best atmosphere I've experienced, especially the finish. Its amazing. Look forward to seeing you over on the thread. Have you got a spring marathon in mind? Sounds like you'll be ready to go for a good training block for a marathon all being well! I'm hoping I'll have the same positive experience you did from the mentoring. 

It's there somewhere Angela. Yeah come on RW pin that thread! image

• Options

Are we going to abandon this one then?

I'm off the new one now image

• Options

Wait for me Chicksta!!!

• Options
    Shall I switch the light off then?
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol - sorry Stan, how many times have we forced you to move home now?image

Time to wave goodbye to Tim, it's ginger time!

• Options

This is just brilliant!!!  The running shoes have been passed to the next generation.

ITS GINGER TIME!!! image

• Options

I am worried about the low mileage and just  4 days per week. Please advice.