Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Wow.... we all have faith in you Superman

I am relying on you to let me know which sweets we can have!

Have you decided on your HM yet? 

• Minni Mistletoe wrote (see)
    Nice one soups! And stop worrying about those last 6 miles. It's Sam's job to look at your weaknesses and address them. She'll do that just fine. Trust in the training. image

Thanks Minni You are right. I cannot wait to read the Chimp book, Holly Rush recommended at Bootcamp (apologies title might be wrong, The Chimp Paradox) about positive mindset. I have worked on it at Parkrun and improved my time and finishing positions using her words so fingers crossed. 

Tigger I will publish my recommended sweets of choice and have a bag with your name on it!! Need to review race dates tomorrow for HM. My original one was Eton Dorney but that is now Training Day 2 so need to find alternative. Have you got your races lined up yet? 

• How nice Superman to have 2 ladies (Sam and Ruth) dedicated to you and doing all they can to make you reach your target. It will be interesting to see what Ruth comes up with on the nutritional side. Good that Sam has included parkrun in the plan for you. I'm following the P&D plan now so not sure how many parkruns I'll be able to do. But have volunteered for this weeks one as tail runner. 

I heard an interview with the chimp guy on marathon talk. I tried to use te ideas when racing parkrun but not sure it helped, but I agree that getting the mental side of things right is really important.  I think visualisation can be useful too. I try and use a mantra too sometimes!

• Excellent, thanks for posting the plan up Soups, looks like the long runs are not going to be as slow as you anticipated? Have you got a track near you that you can do some of the reps on? Take the pounding off your feet/legsimage

• Wow that's full on but you can do it Superman?

I've got an inflamed hip flexor and from reading RW's beat injury book from last year's bootcamp, I need to rest it. Such great timing! At least London in 2 weeks after Paris but it does mean that I'll need to build up into my plan rathering than jumping into your scary one! 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ooh - phase one of the super plan is up, exciting stuff! image

Presumably you're starting quite high on the mileage for the long runs because you'd already been doing that in prep for the ultra?

• Bonjour mes amis. 

Emdee how do you go about becoming a pacer? 

I am pleased about Parkrun Slowkoala as I did feel after my 121 this might not be in the schedule. Out of interest what is your mantra? 

Morning Karen, I do have a local track and will be using this. Also exploring some off road options so as its not all pavement pavement pavement. 

The Running Andy Have you run MK before? 

• Ruffles Sorry to hear about the hip flexor. Have you got a physio you can see? Or is it a case of just rest.

Malcs Spot on regarding the mileage. For example the last 4 weekends have looked like this. 

Sat 3, Sun 20

Sat 3 Sun20

Sat 13 Sun 20

Sat 3 Sun 15 

And this Sat is Parkrun but Sunday is a rest day although not on the schedule. 

Good luck with the physio this morning Malcs 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Soups - you've got a great base there. A lot of runners (me in the past) make the mistake of thinking they can reach their potential in 4 months without the right base. Getting comfortable with 18-20 miles before marathon training starts gives you a great advantage and reduces the chance of injury, I think.
  • Golly that looks tough! 4 x 6.55mmin the first speed session. *gulp* as Jimmy Olsen might say. 

• That's a great and challenging plan Soups!  I've not got quite the same mileage endurance base as you in recent months, but have done an 18 miler recently and it felt relatively easy!  I remember back when 18 mile runs used to be approached with dread, and finished with very very sore legs and limping!  You've got quite a bit of marathon pace/near marathon pace stuff in the long runs already.  I usually save that for later in the plan, but looks like Sam is confident that well below 3:30 can be achievable if you're starting that stuff now image 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheers Tim, much appreciated! image

Will Sam be introducing any unconventional training methods in the lead up to Paris? I was thinking maybe she could try you on this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29633819

Use of super powers is prohibited of courseimage

• I do 'race the bus' every morning on my cycle commute.But it's not much of a challenge I win every time. image

Soups, I've only ran 1 marathon before - Loch Ness. I did do the MK half this year though.

Just compared your first 3 weeks to the plan I'm working on, and that's nearly as tough as mine ever gets! I really need to step things up I think. I do like the sound of the mixed pace runs, never done those before, so will defo look at incorporating some of them. But don't think I'll be adding 6.55mm in... but then you are a fair bit faster on the short stuff than me at the moment.  

• sensesense ✭✭✭

Hi Tim, congratulations on winning the competition and bet you can't wait to get stuck into the training plan. 

I have very similar "typically male" pbs to you (5k 19.23; 10k 40.57; HM 1.33; Mara 3.48) and would love to go under 3.30 this spring.  I've actually entered Paris and Zurich (19 April, so week after Paris) and not yet sure which one I'll target.  Will be trying to follow virtually same plan as you though in the hope that we both get the same happy result. 

I'm ski-ing over new year so will need to chop & change a bit over next couple of weeks but fingers crossed I'll be able to follow more closely after that.  Anyway, very best of luck for the next 114 days.

One personal question (so feel free not to answer) - how tall are you and how much do you weigh?  I'm about 6' 4" and 14 stone so definitely on the bigger side but I'm not sure how much I should use that as an excuse.

• Morning all! Just catching up on what is already a really informative thread! Soups, that training plan looks tough with those high miles on the sundays straight away. But like it's been said you've got the base behind you. Can't wait to see how it works for you and I'm looking forward to what Ruth has to say. The nutrition side is something I also need to improve on. 

Andy, I done MK in May just gone there. It's not a bad race at all and has definite potential for quick times. My rythym though was seriously disrupted by the short, sharp inclines towards the end. I slowed significantly in those last 3 miles and I lost a minute off each of those last miles. Stay strong when it comes!

Minni, really liked your breakdown of the marathon. Sounds so simple but so hard to put into practice, for me anyway! I will be following a similar mantra at Manchester in April.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

sense - Tim is a very similar height to you, but he's 4' 6" instead of 6' 4"image

(sorry Soups, couldn't resist image )

• Malcs wrote (see)

sense - Tim is a very similar height to you, but he's 4' 6" instead of 6' 4"image

(sorry Soups, couldn't resist image )

Sense Welcome, you will have to excuse Malcs, he is a pesky troublemaker of the thread image

• Sense 5'8" is my height and 12 1/2 stone. BMI 26 and Visceral fat rating of 9 and an unhealthy penchant for sweets. Hope this helps you. Be great to have you on board for the journey buddy. Where are you skiing?

Minni I do feel better for the 3 months marathon training base I have got which should stand me in good stead. Much like Mr Puffy said, I gulped at the speed of the first 4x1milers but cant wait to see how I get on.

Malcs I loved the race the tube videos. They did a few in the end, madness, sheer madness. Can you imagine having been on that tube??

• Angela Spot on with how those 18 milers used to feel. Popping out for a cheeky 20 does not seem quite as dreadful these days. image

The Running Andy Totally concur with the magical ginger one about MK. I really enjoyed it but those last few miles and the inclines as well as declines make it quite a tough final few miles.

• Hey soups, that's a tough looking schedule to kick things off with. Will you be on a track for your speed work?

It's interesting to compare it to the generic 26.2 training plan - very similar with the option of two rest days, and although your LSRs are much longer initially the overall mileage for the month is 134 to 130. I think that's down to where you were with your ultra training.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

For those of you who are looking at the schedule and thinking it looks tough I'd say you need to change your thinking about you approach to your targets.  

I am saying this as someone who had to do just than a few years ago.  I would train and do a spring marathon, muck around in the hills during the summer and autumn, without any real focus, then do it all again the next year.  I used to get frustrated as to why I couldn't pb by more than a minute or so when I was getting more and more experienced each year.  Each year I would finish on the wrong side of 3:30, sometimes only a minute out, but I just couldn't get under.  

Then one year I trained lightly for a marathon in the autumn and used it as a bench mark.  I ran 3:36 without being flat out so that I could take a week or so off then keep training.  I then stuck to the P&D by the letter, and my good base enabled me to do that.  For the first time ever I ran under 3:30.  I then continued to build on this and ran 3:20 and 3:15 over the next two years.  

Really for someone who is really serious about a 3:30 attempt and who is prepared for it, as Superman is, the schedule shouldn't look too challenging.  

What I'm really trying to say is if you're looking at this and thinking its too tough and want to give it a bash then do so, but don't be hard on yourself if you find it too tough.  Learn by it and be ready to use it for the next campaign if you don't manage this time. 

Does that make sense? image

• Minni – you make a good point about base level fitness. The generic plan says: ‘right now you should be running at least 20-25 miles per week over four sessions, and be able to run for 1.30 non-stop.’

• So if I've understood you Minni you're say "(Wo)man up and stop whining!" image

I think from a lot of people perspective it looks tough as a first few weeks, but most of us haven't been training for an ultra, so don't have the current mileage that Soups been doing. At least that how I looked at it. I've only been covering 20-25 miles a week for the last couple of months and will now start building up for marathon training but it'll be a gradual build up. No way I'd feel confident doing Soups first week right now, maybe in 2-3 weeks.

This target based running is all new to me, for my first and only marathon all I really did was up the mileage and that was enough to get me round. This time around I will have to man up and do some true super-hero mileage and speed sessions image  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

haha Andy - yes, zip it up! lol  I also think its worth setting your target based on recent race times, this will ultimately get you faster as you will set paces that are achievable.  Another lesson I learnt the hard way! image 

• Really good advice again Minni. But if I looked at a marathon plan and thought it looked anything other than challenging/tough then I wouldn't be happy. Also maybe feel like it wasn't going to get me to my goal. The plan should always be within your capabilities but still challenge you I think.

But hey, you've been there and done it and totally agree with learning from your mistakes and experiences and doing something about it.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Gingermagic - agree completely. 

I need to get back to training and work - I'm becoming a running bore! 

• Great advice Minni I am in the camp of having been mucking around since my half iron at the end of August and I don't have the base fitness to jump into Tim's plan.  Will follow the generic asics one and keep an eye on Tim's as well.  At the end of the day, it's personal to him and we all need to be realistic about our fitness and training levels before we commit to a plan.

• Lol.image It's far from boring Minni! It's good to hear from someone that has been there and done it. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

image Sorry, I drifted off there for a moment. What was Minni saying? image

(troublemaker? Me? Sam will be on here soon to back me up I'm sure image)