Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Yeah, right, whateva....
  • Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

Thanks all for the welcome.

Superman thanks for height and weight, I just find all the different variables with different people really interesting - though glad no ones ever been near my visceral fat.  I'm ski-ing in Switzerland, think frequency & intensity of après-ski will be main factor in whether I get out for any running - not sure how much snow is around at moment.

Malcs I caught up with your paris sub 3.30 thread late in the day and have seen the other successes since then (sub 3.15 and sub 40 10k) so I suppose we're all just trying to follow in your footsteps - must be looking forward to full marks in your end-of-year review.

I'm not too scared by the pace and duration of the individual runs in the next few weeks - I'm more worried about cumulative impact and injuries.  I currently run about 20-30 miles per week but normally only 3 runs per week so not sure how body will feel about fewer rest days from running. But I know I've got to take a more structured approach - last spring I thought a half-decent half marathon + 3/4 long runs = 3.30 marathon but ended up collapsed in a Stockholm bus shelter with a DNF so hoping to improve on that this time...

I suppose the idea is that a challenging training plan makes for a comfortable race day, rather than the other way round!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - lol image you know you're my hero. The sooner you're back running the better. You deserve to have a cracking 2015. Some great advice as always image

sense - that's a brilliant 5K you have there. Is that fairly recent? You most definitely have the speed for sub 3:30. 

SupermanRuns - absolutely, complete madness but wouldn't it be great to give it a try? image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ok cross post there, sorry. Man this is a busy thread!

sense - Minni was spot on (as always) and you just said it yourself - you will be amazed how much of a difference it'll make when you stick to a good structured plan.

I had a similar worry to you when Steve slapped a 5 run per week strategy in my lap. I was used to more rest. However, those easy runs end up being like rest days and it's amazing how you adapt. 

It has been an amazing year for me but not by accident. All the training has been carefully worked out and also I've paid much more attention to niggles and seen the physio early instead of letting things drag on.

Just got back from the physio actually. Overuse injury to the tendons on the foot in Nov has caused me to overcompensate on the outer calf. Need to take things steady and do some strengthening work but hopefully all will be well. 

• Options

Malcs - How things change! I'm sure that in the early part of your training last year Steve was trying to get you to go to the physio for a little niggle and you kept trying to put it offimage

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha ha image Yep, you're right. It took me quite a while before I finally took the advice on board. I still find it hard to know whether something is sore because it's broken as opposed to just needing rest or recovery.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    ..... and Malcs kills the tread....;-)
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol image Yep, one down four to go muah ha ha ha haaaa! image

• Options
    Just got in, will post in a while! Hope everyone has had a good day? I have!!
  • Options

Great contributions on this thread by everyone. Really enjoyed reading those.. Sorry I'm a bit late to the party though.

Superdupaman congrats again on the win.. you are going to smash 330 if Sam thinks you're up for those times and distances.. That plan is a bit spicy for me.. but makes sense your times are much better than mine anyway, i.e. 22:25 5k, 44:49 10k, 1:54 HM, 4:07 M.

On a serious note; I thought superman was at least 5'9"!?

Mini loved reading your posts.. you've had great success on bringing your marathon times down. I think I will be printing off you marathon guide for future reference image

All the best for week 1. I might bound a single thread over to sub4 for a peak at the Pocketrocket's plan

• Options

Superman - I can't really remember the mantras I tried! Something along the lines of strong and smooth, or light and smooth. I also try and run more upright as opposed to leaning. I went on a kinetic revolution running technique session earlier in the year and one thing he suggested for when you get tired is to just focus on moving the arms. When you pump your arms your legs have no choice but to follow. 

• Options

BK Yes to track running. I have one close to home which I can use, one near work which allows a casual user (do I qualify as casual user? image)  or I might do some track work with Tom, Steve & Malcs at Crystal Palace. I think this will really help me as I did not do as much last year. 

Gingermagic Great words buddy. I agree, the plan should look challenging. I looked at it and doubted I could do but my running buddies have looked at it and said, in their view, whilst tough, its within my grasp and in their view, I havent challenged myself enough before. A positive back handed compliment!! 

Sense I hope the snow improves, friends are on their way out at xmas and it doesnt look that great yet! 

Malcs Thanks for holding the fort on the thread today.imageimageimage   Glad the physio went well. 

Minni You really are excellent. Totally agree with your words. Whilst I am nervous over the plan, I am up for it. It is different from the normal sub 3.30 plan, as its bespoke for me but its not that massively different.

Bramster Love the enthusiasm, ensure you stick around on both this thread and Amy's Good luck!! 

Slowkoala I am starting to write down a few different mantra's and will find the one which suits me best and works. The arm pumping has been suggested a few times. Thanks for this.....

• Options

And now for my chat with Ruth. She was great. Put me at ease immediately which helped. I gave her my stats, told her how my week looked, working wise, family wise. I had recorded my last weeks food diary which I am sending her later. The real work she does starts post xmas as it is quite difficult to start all the good work over the festive period so normally starts on our threads then. I learnt a few valuable things today. The recovery food I eat after a long run is invaluable not just for refueling but for helping the body recover. Right now I try to not eat as I think it will save on calories. Also I do not eat before morning long run's. Also not ideal. So I will not report a great deal more than this for now as the next week or two for me will be about not over indulging but I will wait for Ruth's early tips and then comment. What I would say is I appreciated her reassurance that I am not that different from others and that if I want to change, it is not hard to do so. 

• Options

Superdupaman I'm here for the long haul. I can learn a great deal from you. Though I'm not sure I need to know my visceral fat rating. I also have a sweet tooth and overindulge etc and so I'll be looking at whatever you relay from Ruth very closely..

For the record my mantra's are;

• Quick step, be light 
    • That bum makes a good pace I might stay here for a while

• Options

Hey Ruffles, was it the Rubicon half iron you did at the end of August by any chance?

• Options

Nope Hans, where's that? I did the Cotswold Classic which I highly recommend. My pic is post race. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Glad you're reassured Superman.

Ruffles - tell meore about the Half IM? Are you a swimmer, I mean obviously you are, but are you a good and confident swimmer? I have recently started swimming and would like to do OW next year but I am quite terrified and also terrified at the thought of getting kicked and pushed. I don't see how no-one drowns?!!
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheers Tim.

Ha image Not sure I was holding the fort, more like bringing it down! Sean is doing the night shift though - he's a much safer pair of handsimage 

Sounds like you had a great chat with Ruth. She's absolutely brilliant. That thing of eating less to try and cut calories is very common I think. I certainly found I trained far better once Ruth sorted my eating out. 

It'll be really interesting to hear what she suggests for you.

bramster - love that mantra image

Minni - I don't blame you, it's carnage on those things. Mrs Malcs has done a few now and every time I just pray that she exits with at least the same number of body parts as she entered with!

• Options

Agreed those first four weeks look tough for other people to follow, who are starting more from scratch.

But perhaps Sam has a lot of long slow runs in your plan to build up your endurance and prevent you from fading in those last six miles, as in previous races. 

Think I am going to follow Malcs plan from last year, which has a far steadier build up, for my VLM training.

Malcs - coincidentally  I am working a few night shifts next week, so will try and post a few late night entriesimage

• Options

I am on Malcs program from last year. Few niggles floated around before Yorkshire Marathon 2014 and I need to respect the buildup.

Ruffles, Rubicon Half was at Newby Hall near Ripon in Yorkshire. The swim was on the river Nidd, the start being serenaded by Bagpipes. I was lucky and had an awesome sneaky start off to the side. Clear water all the way. Spent most of the bike going backwards. The run on tired legs was satisfactory. The medal and beer after, priceless!!!!

• Options

I start the day in awe of the impressive triathlon stories. Minni I am a petrified swimmer and I decided to go and have some open water lessons. Best thing I ever did to prepare me for the carnage which ensued on the day. I will leave those more experienced to pass their wisdom on.

Today will mostly be about surviving the office party. I apologise in advance if I am not around much and if I do post anything after about 2pm it will be alcoholically influenced.

Have a great day everyone!! image

• Options

Morning All!

Enjoy the office party Superman.

Minni and Hans, I am by no means a swimmer and was def one of the slowest  but made up the time on the bike and the run.  I had swimming lessons which really helped with my technique and then did lots of swimming.  I never seem to get any faster but at least it meant I had enough endurance to cope with the bike and run.  The Cotswold classic is in a lovely lake and I just tried to stay out of the way.  I find the smaller Tris tend not to be so crazy and if you start at the back like me you can avoid being kicked.  I think triathlon is just so much fun and as there's so much going on, it tends to stop me getting too nervous as well.  I def want to do an ironman.  Maybe next year!

Hans - the Rubicon sounds great.

Sean - I think I'm going to follow Malcs plan from last yr as am also starting from a much lower base than Superman.

• Options

Minni -  i should also say, I live near an outside swimming lake and also kitesurf so I think I get a fair amount of time in the water.  That will def help with confidence!

• Options

Minni I would concur with Ruffles I spent a load of time in the water first, before I even went near the Tri.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! But, what I can't get my head around is if you get kicked in the face or something how do you recover? You can't stop and check you're ok? Or what if you're about to take a breath and someone swims over the top of you and you end up under with a lung full of water, and then when you're trying to get back to the surface others are swimming over the top? Do you not just drown? And when do they do the head count? When will they know your dead???

Or am I worrying a bit too much?
  • Options

Minni - none of that has happened to me and I've done a few now!  Def worrying too much.  Staying at the back or at the side will stop you being in the scrum.  Also, when I first started I did a little breaststroke when I got stressed.  There are all kayakers who keep a good eye on you in the water to make sure you don't drown!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I hate to see a damsel in distress so I've done a bit of research and found the perfect solution for you Minni...

/members/images/448713/Gallery/_54295217_5ukibnfm.gif

No chance of anyone kicking you in the face with this get up and look, there's even a place for your running number. image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tim - have a great party. Don't be coming on here later all boozed up declaring your undying love for us all.image

Sean - awesome! I'm sure Tim will appreciate the 24hr coverage.