Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lol! That's what I need! M

Thanks Ruffles!

Back to running. Who's doing what today?

Superman - you're an afleet now. Stick to OJ. image
  • Malcs But I do love you all!!!

How do you post photo's??? I can post links etc but struggling to uploading photo's.

• Ruffles - Are you training for VLM and aiming to go sub 3:30 like myself? I am going to start Malcs plan from first week of January image

Minni - I think open water swimming can be very daunting for first timers. But remember wearing a wet suit does make you a lot more buoyant, and helps with swimming front crawl. If you do get kicked / elbowed you can stop, tread water adjust your goggles, compose yourself and then continue.

Was planning on a 10 mile run this morning, prior to work this afternoon. But my son is off school sick today and my wife's already at work, so that's put the kibosh on my running plans today image

• Minni - with Malcs' suit you can just run the swim...

Sean - yes and yes -although TBH not sure I'll make sub 3.30 so I might aim for 3:40 so I don't cry out of defeat at the finish line.

No running for me today with the sore hip, although might be naughty and do parkrun at a "gentle" pace tomorrow.

• Man this thread is moving fast, I can't keep up!

Soups - your plan looks challenging but also spot on in terms of the right mix of speed and endurance.  Very similar to mine in that respect, specially with the longer intervals (mile reps are your friend image), and perfect for the mindset aspect which is so key to a good marathon.

My plan has a Minni-special scheduled for today - w/u then alternate 5 mins at MP and HMP, for 40 minutes, then c/d.  It's a great one for making MP feel relatively easy!  But not one to do every week as it is a challenge image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    SupermanRuns wrote (see)

Malcs But I do love you all!!!

Are you drinking already? Part of me really hopes so!image

Photos - click the icon to the left of the quote icon (really don't know what it is - some sort of screen?). Anyway, second from the right.

Then go to the Your Computer tab and follow from there. Note that there are image size restrictions. Best to stick with jpegs as they have decent compression image

• Malcs wrote (see)
    SupermanRuns wrote (see)

Malcs But I do love you all!!!

Are you drinking already? Part of me really hopes so!image

Photos - click the icon to the left of the quote icon (really don't know what it is - some sort of screen?). Anyway, second from the right.

Then go to the Your Computer tab and follow from there. Note that there are image size restrictions. Best to stick with jpegs as they have decent compression image

Do jpegs have compression guards, socks or tights? image

*grabs coat leaves and heads for the pub*

• Freemers I am looking forward to frequenting myself with speedier mile reps. I hope we get on well I really do! Have a great Minni special today!

Sean Hope your son gets better soon.

Ruffles take it easy with the hip.

• Morning all! Can't wait to hear Ruth's suggestions for you Soups. This is the thing I'll be following closely with you. The training plan doesnt suit me so I'm on Malcs from last year. Enjoy the xmas do pal!

No running for me today. I had a hilly 7 miles with my club last night and I've got a parkrun tomorrow and the clubs xmas run from Newmarket to Ely through the Fens. 18.5 miles with a couple of cake stops! Bit of strength stuff and core today.

• Soupadupaman I heard that jpegs run with shorts under their tights apparently

Ruffles let that hip mend!

Great comments on the triathlon/swimming. I used to do triathlon before I left Australia. It really is a rich person's sport over here.. thinking about doing a Cotswold half ironman next year. Can still remember being scratched and booted in the head when I first started. You get used to it Mini. I've tried all of the suggestions from Sean and Ruffles above. They all workimage Defo get some lessons or borrow Malcs suit if that means you can run the swim leg!

• Ruffles - See how your training goes, but a lot of people do have Gold, silver & Bronze target times. Rather than putting all your eggs in one basket.

Ie Gold sub3:30 - Silver sub3:40 - Bronze over sub3:40 but still a PB.

• Gingermagic  Ruth will be in on the thread in the new year and unless Malcs corrects me she answered a lot of other questions last year from forumites which was brilliant.

Something which worked really well last year and I do not believe Malcs copyrighted was we had a list of all the races people were booked in for which was regularly updated. A lot of people got together and met up who might not have done. Feel free to post your booked races over the weekend and I will collate these in one post which can then be added to as and when....sound like a plan?

• Sean i like that idea but I think when the going get's tough I'd slip to bronze mode pretty quickly. I'd rather have one realistic target and then try to exceed it if I have anything left in the last 6 miles.

• Ruffles: so much in common. Wife and I are mad keen kitesurfers. Usually at Lythmn St Anne's.

Minni, in my experience it gets less physical toward the rear of the swimming pack. 

• sensesense ✭✭✭

malcs 5k pb was last summer.  I've only run in 2 x 5k races (both parkruns). strava reckons splits were 3.33, 3.47, 3.53, 4.02, 4.11 - doesn't quite add up but you get the idea - it was more of a gradual blowing up than a perfectly executed race strategy.  have been too scared to try another one since then but maybe tomorrow morning...

Think your comments re management of niggles & minor injuries may yet haunt me.  I'm terrible at knowing when to ease off and when to toughen up.  I should really try harder to find a decent physio who I trust and check in with regularly.  maybe that should be a new years resolution.  Have you got a spring marathon booked in for this year? 

• Hans  -another kitesurfer and runner! You rock! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OMG did you just see sky news??? Superman swinging from the top of the Shard after binging on cider and vodka shots at the office party singing 'Born to Run'. Hope Ruth didn't see it.
  • That gave me a good chuckle!

• LOL, Minni image

Tim, I'll be following your journey to Paris even though Sub 3:30 is a little beyond me this time round, maybe in the Autumn.

• Ho ho ho SupermanRuns! I think that's a fantastic idea to get a thread going with all our races on... Would be great to meet up with people if we're at the same run!

(And he he he at Minni, made me giggle!)

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    has he been arrested for being drunk and disorderly do we think...?image
  • Lol. Were his drinks spiked with kryptonite!? Nice wee Parkrun for me this morning in Brandon country park. Great way to start the day!
  • *whispers* morning!

*pulls duvet back over head*
  • Hi Tim- Great forum, well done mate- I'm pleased it's all going well for you. I have a question, and I'm sorry if it's been covered (I have been dipping in and out of the forums and can't see an answer) - is your 16 week plan going to be available for Garmin download, or is there a link already? I was also trying to find the previous asics downloads in runhub, but they don't seem to exist. Cheers mate!
  • I wish I'd taken a pic!!! This morning I saw a car with a superman airfreshener hanging off the RVmirror and Superman seat covers!!!! Made me think of you image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Haha Superman! Is it that bad...? Lol
  • Forgive me Ruth, Sam for I have sinned. I was travelling on a lovely wagon when I fell of in style. Maybe not dancing on the Shard however OMG I did not realise 20/20 came in Kryptonite flavour and they do Kryptonite sours and Kryptonite punch and Kryptonite Prosecco. I have only just got up! 

Minni You do make me laugh, that was brilliant image

Stewart It is great to have you around!

Charles Lovely to hear from you. No it is not garmin downloadable here is the link for the downloadable plans http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/training.aspx

Angela Glad you had a great Parkrun this morning, think it was the tonic which Amy needed. Wasnt aware you were doing Parkrun near me and saw my car!! 

• Haha soupa the car was actually parked on the Street my sister lives on!! The race is on next time I do brockwell, now I have an idea of the course image. You all have me down wrong, I've only ever done one ultra- it just happened to be 2 ultras back to back and I did tell Amy how naive I was in thinking that was a good idea... No no, I'm doing a half ironman next year instead image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Are you Angela? Are you doing the half ironman instead? That's clearly a yes.image