Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Well it's not actually ironman.. It's vitruvian - and I haven't even tried swimming a mile like you yet!! Although am in the great east swim in June for OW practise- which tris are u doing minni?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I'm looking at sprints at the moment so I don't need to worry about doing much run training (incase I can't run for another few months). I'd love to tackle a half as I'll definitely be stronger at that distance but, honestly, the thought of a mile OW terrifies me!
  • Is it ironic that Soups whispers 'morning' at 12.19? Must have been a good do!

Minni, come do Ripon Olympic Distance triathlon and I'll pace you around, if you advise on my sub 3:30!

Ruffles straight back atcha. A kiting and running event would be outstanding. 

Challenging parkrun today. Arctic headwinds, bizarrely on all the uphills. Fortunately I signed up to pace. Decked the baby buggy in tinsel and Christmas cheer so as to be visible from outer space and from Krypton.

• Hans Your parkrun sounded, well challenging! And another thank you to all the pacers and volunteers at all Parkruns, you guys are great. 

Any Christmas party which has Graeme Swann in attendance is always going to get messy. I have struggled today! 

Minni I was afraid of the water and couldnt swim properly till 6 years ago. I went to a swim class and the training I spoke of earlier in the thread. Best thing I ever did. You can do it. 

• Hey Soups (or should that be Slops after the Xmas do?)

About 40% of the way through 'The Chimp Paradigm.' Great book with powerful insights. Although after 4 ultras and an arctic Pakrun, I diagnosed myself as crazy. I do enjoy pacing though I am not always accurate. People thanking you for a PB is pretty special.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Soups - as in Graeme Swann the cricketer? I hope you're feeling better days. I'm at the age that hangovers last 2 days so I need to plan them carefully!

Hans - pacing uphill into an artic wind with a buggy?? Sounds like a form of punishment! When is Ripon? It's just down the road from me. Well about 3 hours but that's quite local!
  • Minni I am like you. I was originally going to take it easy and only have a couple what with my planned marathon today but when I found out I was not going to be running I let down my hair. Yes it was Graeme Swann, a really lovely guy, maybe eff & jeffs a tad too much when talking about Kevin Pieterson but was top value. 

Hans I am so looking forward to reading that book. I hope I might be unwrapping it soon. Is it one of those books when you start you dont want to put down?

Whats everyone's plans for today?  This morning I it will about Strictly Come Dancing so my daughter can watch who won. And then as its a rest day today before tomorrow's training, I am doing a gentle hour on the static bike and then some core work.

And have you bought all your presents yet? 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I don't blame you for letting your hair down before you really get going. (Something Malcs couldn't do last year - boom!)

My husband is a cricketer so know the names but I admit I struggle to follow it on TV. Yawn.

I had everything prepared for Christmas, more or less, before my surgery so feeling quite smug!
  • Hey Minni Ripon is 12/7/15. They do a weekend festival with camping and bands. Mrs Hans and I are both doing our first Olympic distance. True to form I went straight from sprint to half iron this year.

Soups, it's the kind of book where you read a bit and then think 'Thats me!' You then pause to digest and then move on. It does make sense though.

• I sympathise with you yesterday Soups, also had our Christmas party Friday night, with an open bar!!! So I didn't move at all yesterday...

I'm going for a run in the woods today, hoping to get near 10 miles but that depends on how lost I get! 

• Morning one and all, hope you've recovered from Friday night Soups!  

Running plans for me today involve not running sadly... I was supposed to being doing a Winter Solstice run with friends from my running club this morning; 7:30 start for a run up to the top of a local hill (Shutlingsloe if anyone knows the Derbyshire/Cheshire/Staffordshire borders area?) for sunrise, followed by a jolly jaunt up and down another 4 hills, punctuated by mulled wine and mince pies.  It was supposed to be 3 shires, 5 trig points and 7 crazy runners but due a full day spend snowboarding yesterday and my marathon training programme starting tomorrow, I didn't think 23 miles of hills and off-road terrain the day before was the best idea!  Gonna meet them in the pub later for a beverage they will have well and truly earned and I won't, oops!

So on the eve of finally starting your proper Asics 262 journey Soups (after coming so close last year and the few weeks of build up this year), how are you feeling about it?  Are their any particular sessions you're more apprehensive about than others and what do you think the biggest challenge will be for you?

(As for Christmas shopping, I feel very smug as I finished mine in November! Just got a final few cards to write and deliver today then I'm all set for the big day...)

• Thanks Hans makes sense that it is that kind of book. I am even more excited to read it now. 

The Running Andy I hope you read this. Means you have returned without getting lost in  the woods. image

Another great question BRB Dimbleby better watch out, you could host question time better than him. 

To say excited is an understatement. To say apprehensive would be quite accurate. I look at the speed sessions and they look challenging. The mid week longer tempo runs also. These were the ones Malcs spoke of last year being really helpful. 

But today is all about starting the positive mind and self-belief. Sam sent me a message Friday about believing in myself and that there is nothing in the training which she does not think I can do. I have made sure my 3 hrs 28 VLM fridge magnet is right in my eyeline on the fridge door , so everyday I can see and visualise the goal. 

I am collating some playlists of music which heighten my positive mental state, to get me ready for some of the more challenging sessions. Finally I am thinking about meals and food in advance. For instance tomorrows session for me I am doing early morning so I am making sure there is a breakfast ready for afterwards and to not just rush off to work without eating. 

Will post up this weeks schedule later as a reminded. image

• So here it is. The first weeks training schedule. For anyone who thinks it is a 'bit spicy' it is bespoke, the ASICS RW generic one is not that much different so feel free to follow either and we can train together. 

Week One (31M) w/c 22 Dec
    Mon 5M easy 
    Tue Rest/cross-train
    Wed 7M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1M (approx 6.55 pace) with 400m (3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog 
    Thu REST 
    Fri 4M steady plus 4 x 100m strides 
    Sat Rest/cross-train 
    Sun 15M – 10 miles slower than 8.45, 5 miles at 8-8.40

The one I am looking forward to most is Wednesdays session. Just dropping the kids off at the panto before static bike and core work. Happy Days. image

• Nice one Soups, the first week doesn't look too spicy! I'd say it's a chicken balti on the spicy scale. Bet you can't wait to get going!
  • You are right Gingermagic its all got real now and broken down like this into weekly chunks it looks ok. Cannot wait to fire up the trainers. Looking forward to some bike and core work this afternoon.

Are you following this or the generic one buddy? And are you doing Manchester or another one? 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Soups - why don't you set up a team on Jantastic? I don't think anyone on here lacks motivation but it's a great way for everyone to make sure you get all the runs done as you don't want to let the team down!
  • I'm just following the generic one mate because like you said it is bespoke. Plus the generic looks like a good fit for me. Ties in well with races I've got leading up to it.

I'll be doing Manchester aye. Can't wait to get started like yourself.
  • Thanks for reply Tim- Looked briefly at Tom R's bespoke schedule this year- it looks horrendous!. - I will be mirroring (a week later for Manc) some sort of frankensteined plan from last years generic and yours and see what happens.

Good luck to all marathon runners today! Good luck for the week ahead Tim!

• I'll join a Jantastic team if there's one going, I'm not so keen now it's gone massive but I like the idea of a team, then it would be small again!

If anyone can tell how to give the Chimp book to my 21 year old younger son for Christmas without setting of his chimp, please let me know!

I missed Tursday's run so I'm just off out now for a slow 10 then I will be joining you next week Tim...just not for 4x6.55 miles this side of February.  I think it looks great for where you are, I do like the structure of the RW plans, just basic common sense really.

• Hi soups sorry im late in joining in but congratulations on getting through it was well deserved. I am liking the looks of your plan may have to give this a go for Manchester but not sure I am quite up to your speed yet though image. Im like you and have had a good year of long miles as I dipped my feet in to ultra teratory so your plans not looking overly spicy so far and agree with gingermatic definatly balti level image
  • Afternoon Tim, hope the bike session went well. I've done my long run today (just under 16 miles) so off to watch Paddington in a bit.

I crashed and burned last night so had to miss 2 parties, opting for a night in with the kids, watching the Strictly Final. I'd had a few night out on the trot and then parkrun + Panto in the day made for one exhausted Koala! Parkrun was fun - I haven't volunteered before but was tailrunner yesterday, and it was good chatting to lots of different runners.

Re build up races, ones I will probably do include:

22/2 Brighton HM

8/3 Finchley 20

15/3 North London HM

• Minni Mr Puffy Jantastic sounds a plan....how do I go about setting it up??

Charles Loving the Frankenstiened approach to marathon training plans. Good luck with yours and cant wait to see how you get on with it. 

baldrunnerman great to have you around, glad the plan looks good for you. I am more of a madras or a jalfrezi man but I am happy with the balti start for now. Are you booked in to do Manchester? 

SlowKoala Bike session was lovely, havent done one for a while, 1 hour, fairly low resistance and speed mixed up with high resistance out of the saddle. Hope you enjoy Paddington, I loved it. Build up races will list below. I am doing Finchley too. 

• 2015 Race List so far. Apologies if I have missed anyone off. I know a number of you are doing spring marathons and have probably posted this but let me know what and when I can put them on and also warm up races. I am looking forward to seeing Slowkoala at Finchley 

22/2 Brighton HM Slowkoala 

8/3   Finchley 20 SupermanRuns Slowkoala

15/3 North London HM Slowkoala

12/4 Paris Marathon SupermanRuns Sense

19/4  Manchester Marathon Gingermagic, baldrunnerman, Charles Henderson

26/4  Virgin London Marathon Ruffles, Buxtonrunningbunny, SupermanRuns

May 

MK Marathon The Running Andy

• Ooh, could you stick these on the list as well please soups?

18/01 - Benfleet 15

01/02 - Watford half marathon

22/02 - Tarpley 20

22/03 - Ashby 20

It'd be great to see fellow forumites at one of these!
  • Will do Gingermagic I will do an updated list later buddy. 

• Ooooo ginger I'm doing tarpley 20 too!!! Will post the full list later

• Cheers soups!

Nice one Angela! I'll see you there! image
  • Count me in for manchester please.

• Would have said come do Ashby if it wasn't full already ????
  • Aye Tigger think entries closed a couple of weeks ago? Did you get a place?