Sub 4 Amy: #asics262

Comments

• I have ergonomic cycling shorts then too!

Back to running ; did 3 x 6 minutes @ TI pace at the track earlier, 7:50 pace average, happy with that.
  • Indeed, back to the running...

Tuesday I did 4.2miles at 8:27 average pace, then yesterday I did 6 miles off-road with my club. The pace was slow but it was a really hilly route (as per usual!) so I wasn't bothered. I think I needed a nice steady recovery run as my right hip has been niggling at me since Sunday's run. It's just so typical isn't it that as soon as you start tapering, things start niggling that you've never had a problem with for the whole of the rest of your training! It actually felt much better after a good session on my foam roller yesterday and then 6 miles off-road. Most of yesterday's run was on grass so I'm sure the softer terrain was an advantage.

Because of my hip and yesterday's run being 6 miles as apposed to 4 that the plan said, I decided to skip todays tempo session. I think it was Steve Marathon Coach who said that you can't really do anything to improve your marathon performance at this late stage, but you can do plenty to ruin it and running today would have felt risky. Instead I joined 6 of my friends on a gently bike ride along the Tissington Trail, lovely! 

I'll rest tomorrow too before a parkrun (not flat out though) on Saturday and then 8miles steady on Sunday. Only 6 more training runs till VLM, oh heck...

Nice track session from you RR; what have you decided re pacing for London after your progression run on Sunday?

• Nice sessions ladies, thank you all for the lovely comments regarding my Paris write-up, that in the Victorian times mentioned above, I doubt I would have made a good Dickens, as he was paid per word!!!!

I last year went to a new Aldi opened near me that had running kit in, I was only going in for a pair of running gloves and 2 pairs of ergonomic socks, a short while later I came out with arms laden and £110 less in the bank, I got some serious abuse when I got home. The usual, don't you have enough kit?, did you need to buy that? But I have actually used all the kit I bought, and in my humble opinion you can never have too much kit. Also in reality (as I have to wear under shorts, to prevent chafing issues) you have to replace regularly worn kit as after a year-or-so it no longer does the job it did the day you purchased it!

BRB, I know what you mean about niggles in taper week, I was seriously concerned at some points as I thought a slight twinge was the end of the road, and of course it wasn't and I truly hope the same for you!

BRB, You mentioned to SupermanRuns pacing, now the full marathon is a beast to tame for me again at a later date, if you can get me a place I'd love to pace you to sub 2hr for half way!

I went out today and did a lovely 10k at 5:50 am, glad to be back on the roads after Paris, legs feel great in fact way better than I thought they would.

I return to Parkrun with James on Saturday he is going for a 10 in a row streak to earn his 50 shirt at 5 yrs old. I'm going to start a 32 run streak to earn my 100!

Having reflected on Paris, onwards and upwards now my next big one is 7th June, where I am going to attempt to go sub 1:40 for the first time at Ramathon. I did the inaugural event last year and I now intend to do this race every year for as long as I can run!

• Evenin' evenin’ you bunch of shopaholics!!! Great confession Buxton Running Bunny. I canny comment though, I think all runners and, sports people actually, succumb to the pressures of a good sports clothing sale. Literally only tonight I went to some friends after work for a bootcamp class and we were browsing the new Aldi booklet trying to justify a trip and purchase...£110 is a chuffin great effort Iain Hickman 2 haha! Love the stationary confession Reikirabbit! My flatmate is just the same, walking past Staples can be dangerous. I have a bit of a secret love for tuberware and have to refrain down the kitchen aisle in the supermarket shh. Glad you explained the ergonomic socks Buxton Running Bunny, compression socks are anew thing to me never mind these, socks blowing my mind, I should get out more! I have not heard of Lucky Sports D Peter Foster 7, will have to check that one out!

Sensible to hold off on the tempo run Buxton Running Bunny, you are correct about Steve Marathon Coach’s words. You have put in the hard work now. Just stay strong though the taper. I can of course relate to your worries. A leisurely bike ride sounds quite delightful.

Was that you first run since Paris Iaian Hickman 2? How are you feeling now? Did you have much DOMS? I was going to try a gentle run today too, however as my friends were doing a bootcamp class I opted to join them. We take the iPad outside to a park nearby and attach speakers and hey presto, you have an outdoor insanity class! We did a serious of maximal exercises as a baseline and we intend to do a couple of classes a week and see how we improve, all as training for the Tough Mudder. I had to change an exercise as my leg didn’t like it, but hopefully won’t matter and will be ok.

Sounds like a good track session Reikirabbit, what’s TI pace though? Sorry probs obvious. That VMLM kit will be made even the better by the achievement. I think bold colours would suit you much better too.

Iain Hickman 2 what a lovely offer to pace Buxton Running Bunny. Can I ask what Ramathon is? Sorry I seem to be a bit slow tonight!

Ant McNeill, oh you do always make me smile image Yep you are my buddy and PIC from this whole journey for sure. Pleased I had the warning that you needed to pee though :-/ I knew from bootcamp that you would have the first timers place, and am so pleased that you have been sub 4 ability cause its meant that we could share the experience that little bit more than what others have perhaps. My Mum and I certainly had to rein you in at the Expo. I know exactly that look of Sarah’s that you are talking of haha!

Hoping to get out for a final park run with my Mum this weekend too Iain Hickman 2. I fancied trying a new one however Mum wants to do the same one to try and beat her time, so I won’t deny her that. Great that James wants to achieve his milestone tee image Following in dad’s footsteps alright.

So, I guess it’s time for the final chapter. Are we all sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin image

• Chapter 4: 12th April aka Race Day

So, it was 5:30am woken by multiple alarms as I was paranoid of over sleeping. After a terrible night’s sleep I was longing for just another hour but I knew that time was precious. Why is that when you have a bad night’s sleep you only actually drop into a good deep sleep shortly before its time to wake?

I decided to shower in an attempt to wake myself up and start the psyching into the zone early. I removed the tape that the therapist had strapped to my leg on Wednesday night whilst in the shower as she had provided me with fresh pre-cut strips to reapply on the morning of the race for the best support. I had recorded the application of the tape on my phone so that Mum would be able to tape me up (she’s a nurse so figured that with instructions she’d know what she was doing).

After changing into my running kit, it was breakfast time. My pre-weighed out porridge outs (had to make with boiled water rather than milk due to being in the hotel without a microwave), with a mashed banana, sachet of sugar, and glass of 250ml milk. Had to have half fat cow as the French don’t seem to have skinny cows! So I didn’t enjoy this as much as normal but never mind, the whole glass vanished. As I was not able to have porridge made with milk for the extra carbs I also had a small slice of malt loaf. Hurry, its 06:45, we need to be meeting in the lobby now! Teeth and down stairs to join the team.

Downstairs we weren’t the last to arrive, which was nice as I seemed to be developing a reputation for rocking up a few mins late! As we wait for the taxi there was slight panic stations as I realised that my new tape was nowhere to be found. I had removed my tape in the shower and had nothing to replace it with! This psychologically did me no good at all. Thankfully Tom saved the day as he ran back upstairs to grab his electric blue tape and scissors.

The taxis pulled up on the Champs Elysees. Our VIP was amazing, what a perfect view to see everyone cross the line:

/members/images/859931/Gallery/start_line.jpg

There were a few photos obviously but Tom had to then dash as he start first at 08:45, Tim wasn’t far behind starting at 09:00, we were being picked off one by one. My leg was panicking me so Mum set to on strapping it up. Time for Tony and I to leave. I was so thankful that we were aiming for a similar time, I felt reassured walking to the line together. Before leaving Steve Marathon Coach helped me to focus, a much needed pep talk, channel the nerves, certainly what I needed to do. Steve told me that he intended to run with me for a few miles and would aim to join me around the 10km mark – yes!

So there we are on the line, literally in a mass of multicoloured runners (post Tony’s pee of course, which he alluded to earlier!) and the atmosphere was, pff, I don’t even know what to say. Tony and I literally gave each other a hug as the klaxon sound for the sub 4s to go go go! The nerves were gone, the sun was shining, the air was coolish, I was feeling strong, this was going to be good.

Strategy: 3:47:00 was the aim, steady 8:45s throughout, with a kick at 20miles, depending upon how I was feeling. Training, remember the training, you know how important pacing is Amy, and you love a strong finish, yes I was feeling good.

Tony and I set off and we ran the first mile – mile and half together, perfect. After that we agreed, the race was our own and we would stick to our own plans. First mile, 8:46 despite being the start and downhill, yep I was off to a great start.<

• Part 2...

The atmosphere was amazing. The streets were packed with spectators. There was music, lots of it, I had no need for my iPod, which remained in my zip pocket. I was high fiving randoms on the side of the street. There were two guys with glasses of red wine offering them to the passing runners, God love the French. And, ladies calm yourselves, there were firemen in the air, yep, the fire trucks had their ladders extended over the top of the road as they sat there in mid air all uniformed up!

Things were going well, I did need a wee however before the starting klaxon even sound despite going just seconds before leaving the VIP cabin, but unlike Tony I was not able to relieve myself on the side of the road! So I knew at some point a portaloo stop was going to be a must. Why do runners always suffer this? I know it is not just me. Nerves? Excitement? Mind games? I should have asked Victor that one. Mile three, loos yes! Much needed by that point. Locked, all of them, really?! No! I looked at my watch, I couldn’t risk it, on I went.

AMY AMY AAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMYYYYYYY!!! Yep, that was my Mum and Tony’s wife loud mouthing it at around mile 7 or 8 I think, I can’t remember now! Hi guys. I had also seen a couple of the Asics Runner’s World crew around 10km. It’s so uplifting you would not believe. As it was when numerous unknowns shouted my name – a benefit of having your name on your top and something that I would recommend all runners to do. No sign of Steve Marathon Coach yet, maybe we had missed each other?

I ran on. Past the Place De La Bastille and into the first park with the Chateau de Vincennes in, and yes portaloos, I tried three doors, the fourth was a free cubicle, score!  Running after this felt much easier, running 6.5miles desperate for a pee was not all that comfortable.

I was sticking to pace nicely too but conscious of the two mins I’d have lost so I pressed on. I think the only annoying thing about the route was that there were a number of funnel necks, which meant that all the runners ended up shoulder to shoulder in a close to walking pace. I dealt with this until after one such time and I realised that somehow, in the argy-bargy-ness my Garmin had been stopped! Disaster. I had no idea how long I had been running anymore, my pacing band became useless. All I could do was to restart my watch at the next mile marker, mile 10. Ok Amz, 16miles to go just try and stick with 8:45s and you’ll still be very close to target. It was starting to warm up.

Mile 12...Steve Marathon Coach! Yey! Now this was an honour, running the Paris marathon as part of the #Asics262 team, with my coach Steve Smythe at my side. We cruised on through the streets, again past the Place de la Bastille, this time on the right, then the Norte-Dame on the left.  Steve Marathon Coach’s Garmin was now my guide for pace as mine was not too happy and fibbing I think. We were running around 8:30-8:40s I think. (Steve Marathon Coach, perhaps you have my split times for the miles that we ran together?). We then started to hit a few tunnels – I literally loved these – honestly, there was a DJ on real decks in the tunnel and there were strobe lights being thrashed around the walls and ceilings! How fun is that?! Steve Marathon Coach clearly loved it just as much as me as we relived the tunnels later on in the evening over a drink and he could recall the songs back to me. Unfortunately, as much as I loved the tunnels, I think they were the approximate turning point to my run. Things come in threes as they say, first needing a week stop, second my watch going, and now third, I think the heat finally got to me. It had warmed up some since the nice cool slightly crisp air back at mile one, we were no

• Part 3...

...Things come in threes as they say, first needing a wee stop, second my watch going, and now third, I think the heat finally got to me. It had warmed up some since the nice cool slightly crisp air back at mile one, we were now at about midday and the sun was shining brightly. I had not been able to have any nutrition for a while either as my 2, 2, 3 Jelly Babies then move to Shot Bloks had not gone well. There had been no problems with the Jelly Babies however I could not keep the Shot Bloks down, apologies Steve I think I made some pretty horrific wretching noises! After numerous attempts Steve told me to stop trying, which I was pleased to hear. Unfortunately as my stomach now seemed to be upset, I was not able to take on much fluid either, so as a combination, these factors hit me quite hard and I felt my pace drop quite considerably very suddenly. I really struggled from here on until the very end of the race. I don’t think I hit the wall, I think that was hit in Edinburgh, this was different, in Edinburgh I had to stop, I physically couldn’t keep going, but I think dehydration as a consequence of the heat had set in (this is my synopsis anyway). I quickly realised that the 3:47:00 was not going to be my aim anymore and the focus was purely on that sub 4. I had to make it. We didn’t stop once but the pace became ever increasingly hard to maintain. Poor Steve Marathon Coach hadn’t intended to run quite as far with me but when he realised that I was suddenly struggling I think he thought, oh heck, I have to stay with this girl or she is not going to make it! So he did. Despite being injured himself and having 3x 6:30min miles with Tom Rann prior to finding, and not having run properly for two weeks, he stayed with me, encouraging me, pointing out landmarks and the distance left to go “only the equivalent of a park run left, come on thats not far, you’re doing great”. Completely selfless.  Steve Marathon Coach you were an absolute God send, I cannot thank you enough. I absolutely hold my hands up and can honestly say that I don’t know if I would have made that sub 4 if it hadn’t been for you. And don’t go all modest on us, accept the thanks and credit. One word; legend.

So, we made it to the 26th mile with only 0.2miles to go and Steve left me there to fend for myself for the last 0.2mile and home straight. I was literally seeing dots in front of my eyes. Iain Hickman 2, I can only imagine this is what a hypo feels like. You are a true champ to contend with your BGLs. So, not really knowing what my time was going to be I thought chuff this and pushed. And true to my training I put in my best effort for the sprint finish and zig-zagged in and out of runners  to cross the finish line. Relief, utter relief as I sank to the floor on the left hand barrier. I was helped to my feet but my legs were jelly, I still had dots in my vision, and I could not think. I felt like I had drunk 7 or 8 gins on an empty stomach, that is the only way I can describe it. It was a horrid feeling not being properly in control. Reports from the Asics VIP cabin after I made it back to them was that they all watched me stagger around and bump into people not being able to walk in a straight line #whobroughtthedrunk. I do remember stumbling a lot and saying “lo siento” numerous times, yep wrong language Amz well done!

I wait for Tony but no sign of him. After about 10mins I felt more like myself as I sipped on water. My trainers were off as my feet like they were on fire, I had my medal round my neck and my finishers tee in my hand. I had some fresh orange segments, which were like heaven at that point and I made my way back to the VIP cabin where Mum was waiting for me. They all thought that I

• Part 4...

...They all thought that I had been swept up by the medics. All was good, I was back to me, all we had to do was wait for my time. Andrea from the Runner’s World team tried to access it for me but no luck. Tom was the first from the team that I saw, then Tony, who was beaming ear to ear (as I described his attitude and outlook towards running previously), then Tim. I made my way to the roof of the VIP cabin and wait for Andrea, and sure enough she came down the finishing straight shortly afterwards, looking quite comfortable with a smile, but dripping wet. Later Andrea told me that when she had been running the finishing straight and looked up to the VIP box she had seen me too.

My time came in, Tony’s wife was the one who found it, 3:54:44, 5mins and 16secs to spare – very very happy

/members/images/859931/Gallery/time.jpg

PBs ran by all. What a day.

• Great write-up Amy. I love the way you make sense of the madness of the sights, feelings and physical sensations of running a big marathon. It was a fantastic read!

Sarah had my phone and captured this video from the Asics VIP balcony:

Amy Roach sub-4 marathoner 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVarotbmshI

Watch, enjoy and, since I think it's officially okay to have a week of basking in glory before we set our sights on new challenges, have another little well-deserved bask!

• Great report Amy and a huge 'WELL DONE''

• Great summary Amy, well done. I remember the firemen, they were a bonus! Heat makes such a difference especially when used to training over winter here. I also have the same problem with needing the loo before a run, I completely lost my dignity at the start of Paris when me and a group of ladies used some bin bags to hold up and cover each other taking it in turns to go at the side of the road, but it must be a nervous thing and seeing others go too! So will you be signing up for another one next Spring?

• FABULOUS REPORT AMY, I loved reading it and it has of course evoked some memories for me too, my watch died as well!!! lol!!!!

If you were asking I went to the loo 2 mins before we started and then the next time was when I got back to my hotel room some 6 hours later!!! (I must have a camel bladder!)

Not told you all this yet, but when I said I was in a critical condition (I ran with my meter and insulin) I did a blood test at 20 miles the meter said 1.4 (you said about seeing stars Amy) I had blurred vision, and felt incredibly tired (a usual side-effect for me), I was also suffering from disorientation hence the missing of landmarks! On last count I took on 20+ gels during the marathon, I should have been wired, but most certainly wasn't!!!!!!

No Amy, I've done a few runs this week, my wife gave me a full massage after the race, it was quite painful at the time, however, it sorted me out and I was walking relatively normally on Monday. I usually suffer from DOMS on a Tuesday after a big race, but my legs felt great on Tuesday, so I can't believe how well they have recovered.

The RAMATHON is a half marathon that ran for years in the 1980s and 90s, before folding. It returned for the first time in 18 years last year and I ran it, I now want to run every one to be an ever present. I ran with someone last year who ran the last one in 1996, that was special. The course has changed this year and it starts and finishes in Derby County's football stadium, the field has doubled in size too from 2,000 to 4,000! A friend who ran the Paris Marathon is also running Ramathon and I hope is offer is still open to help pace me to a sub 1:40, Hopefully this thread is still going in June, and I will let you all know how I get on, I can of course let you know through Garmin Amy.

• Just watched the video Ant has put up nice sprint finish AMYimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Iain Hickman 2 wrote (see)

Just watched the video Ant has put up nice sprint finish AMYimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Hi Iain, yes she always does that - the track at Battersea, the Brighton HM ... and now Paris! In the rap she did on YouTube (I won't post the link again as she'll kill me) there's a line that goes:

She may look cute and be kinda small,
    But she's gonna give it her absolute all.

And Amy certainly did!

Btw Iain, you ran a blinder too and a great write up to boot.

• What a great report, Amy. Thanks for sharing!!!! The conditions in which you ran the marathon seem certainly tough and really difficult at some parts. I did a HM last year in June (Hackney HM) and, although I run much better in the warm weather than in the cold weather, one thing is training and another is racing. It was tough to the limit and it was only a HM and I really struggled with the heat so I can somehow imagine how hard it must have been. I can only agree that Steve is a legend, a great person and an amazing coach. Last year it was a pleasure to hear his wonderful experiences running so many marathons. You must be proud of yourself with an amazing training on your back, a great interaction with the forum and a brilliant future as a runner! So, what's next for you?

Iain, very same feelings go out for you. I can't even imagine how hard it must have been feeling dizzy and still finding the strength to run. Really well done. I haven't recovered yet of reading that you took on 20+ gels!!! I hadn't heard of the RAMATHON, sounds great, good luck!!!

• Iain - you did brilliantly doing what you did.

Amy - excellent report but never do an ultra as it will be ages before you finish the report and will take weeks to read!

on strava the splits from 12 to 26, I have are

8:44 (might include some jogging before that point as my mile walking back along course was 14:53!), 8:22, 8:25, 8:24, 8:49, 8:52, 9:08, 8:55, 8:52, 9:12, 9:27, 9:16, 9:09, 8:54, 8:31

On garmin, I have 8:28, 8:39, 8:44, 17:30/2 - 8:45 av (thru tunnels), 9:26, 9:18, 9:17, 9:06, 9:47, 9:03, 9:26, 8:47, 8:48

• Hahahahahaa!! Steve Marathon Coach you do make me smile image I wanted everyone to have all the detail as everyone has been so supportive. Hope I didn’t bore. I think maybe also I was prolonging the end of this process. I have been feeling quite sad since arriving back home on Monday. I have literally had the best time. I love the feeling of having something to aim for but being able to share that aim has been incredible. Thank you for the splits info, knew you would have them image There are quite some difference between the Strava and Garmin times though. I have never used Strava before. Which do you suspect are more accurate? I suspect probably the Garmin? The spilts that my Garmin show from when I restarted it at 10miles are 8:17, 8:22, 8:23, 8:33, 8:43, 8:34, 8:52, 9:24, 9:21, 9:16, 9:04, 9:44, 9:11, 9:20, 8:54, 8:58, but like I say, I don’t know how accurate mine was.

Great vid captute Ant McNeill! Pleased that last ditch effort was caught, shame the 10 or 20sec after I crossed the line weren’t captured, from the reports I had they were probably quite amusing! Please thank Sarah. And extra thanks for not reposting that vid haha!!! Your Eve does it much better than me. Did Sarah manage to capture you too? Two more days of basking left, how are you making the most of them?! I’ll pop over to your thread later. Love your pic by the way, I was going to send you a link to that exact pic! Have you bought it?

Thanks need for speed image When is your marathon?

20 gels! 20 gels!! 20 gels!!! And still 1.4, Iain Hickman 2 just shows how hard you were working and how the heat can really increase insulin sensitivity. Plus then the adrenaline from your Spanish friend struggling. You must have felt terrible, blurred vision, shakes, sweats. You did completely amazing finishing. Although, I might be more impressed by the fact that you did not wee for so long!!! Haha!image I too enjoyed your write up. I love it when people talk about their experiences post the event cause people always remember things slightly differently to you and it does help you remember extra bits that perhaps you might have forgotten. Sounds like your wife did a good job with the massage, should have def tried that one with my Mum! We are going for a massage tomorrow actually though, just 30mins each as thats the only slot we could get, and will just be back and shoulders so my legs won’t get a look in but I am really looking forward to it. Maybe I’ll play the victim and get my Mum or sister to massage my legs when we get back! I’ll tell Mum the park run she wanted to do has shot them! I am starting with a bit of DOMS from boot camp last night I think. I tried my first run tonight after work, really gentle two miles, my leg is still tender image  How do you stay injury free? Ramathon sounds great! I have never heard of it either. I’d love to give it a go too. June is a big month for me though, I have a big trip planned. The Garmin will be a good way to keep track of runs yes image

Hi Isabel Abos, glad you enjoyed the report. I enjoyed reliving it. It is indeed a real pleasure to hear all Steve Marathon Coach’s stories. He did a good job trying to entertain me during those last few miles, although I wasn’t quite as receptive as I usually am! Made up for it in the evening though. After our three course meal (where yes I finally got my pudding!) we head back to the hotel for a few bevvies. My friends joined us plus Bramster and his lovely lady and we all swapped stories. Steve tel

• Part 2...

...After our three course meal (where yes I finally got my pudding!) we head back to the hotel for a few bevvies. My friends joined us plus Bramster and his lovely lady and we all swapped stories. Steve telling me off for standing up too long and making a passing joke that I clearly didn’t run hard enough! Yet, at the end of the night the last ones standing were myself, my two friends, Tom Rann, and the man himself Steve Marathon Coach! How are you feeling about your marathon Isabel? Is the physio coming on? My next big thing will be the Tough Mudder the last weekend of May. I am doing an off road run Monday night with a friend and my Mum too, which isn’t a big deal but I am looking forward to it, as is Mum.

Hmm, I don’t think I would have liked to have asked Ant McNeill to have held a bin bag for me at the start line like you ktkt as he was my only option, no offense Tony!! How many were in your group? Did you all run together? The firemen sure were a bonus!! I find another bonus when running races is the moral support that everyone gives each other. So on that note I would just like to say hi to a couple of people who I met on route. I don’t think any will read this but thought I would anyway as they helped to make my run. The first is Donald, a lovely gentleman from Redding who recognised me from behind (the Asics262 Amy tee was a bit of a give away!). Donald had passed Ant McNeill and caught up with me. We had a laugh because I asked how Tony was doing, and he replied that he was running a little quicker than plan, to which I replied, of course he is! I then met a lady called Angela from the Channel Islands, she didn’t recognise me or anything, we just got chatting. She was interesting to talk to because she was training for an Ultra, we depart at mile 3 as I made a beeline for the portaloos and desperately pulled the handle of every door along the line. Good luck with your ultra Angela. And lastly Peter, I chat with Peter a little after my watch stopped working. Peter from Glasgow had entered the sub 3:30 category of the Asics262 competition but unfortunately not made it to boot camp. He was a determined guy and suspect that he will enter again next year. I love the way you chat to randoms when you run. I would like to do another marathon yes ktkt, I do after all have my Mums time to beat as it was not to be this time round.  As for exactly when I do it I am not sure. Training will be hard for me after June as I am going away for a while, perhaps I can do a random marathon somewhere, maybe not for a great time but just to finish it. Any suggestions anyone...?

Good luck to all those running Manchester this weekend. How are we feeling? And hope the taper for all the VMLM runners is easier than you thought.

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

great read Amy thank you. image

whats next for you?

Manchester tomorrow but I have a dry cough so will probably have to jog round unless it goes away. 

Not sure whether it will make it worse in my current condition though, happy to take advice from the forum!

• Great writing again Amy, Regarding staying injury free I think to some extent I'm lucky and just stay alright. It's not an exact science but I must also be doing something right. My friend who also ran Paris, has numerous blisters and two of his toes have gone black.

I've got no aches now, no black toes, no blisters. (one the correct shoes help with some of that and I've found a pair I like so try to keep using them, when the next pair wear out I'm going to have to resort to eBay to find a pair of Nike Pegasus 29+).

I run regularly and a long way too (since January 1st 2013 I've run 6,000 miles), but during the week I walk runs off at work and this seems to work for me. I enter quite a lot of races over the year (last year I did 5 HM, 8 10ks and a range of others). So on the injury front I don't know the answer but life is kind to me!

I'd love to have Marathon Coach Steve, running with me around a race, hope you are in shape for a tilt at sub 3hr @ London! Thanks for the well wishes.

James and I did a steady jog around parkrun this morning, I couldn't help but do it in my Paris marathon finshers shirt.

Pete, I'm no GP but as its a dry one I would still run it and monitor how you feel through it and if you have to change pace just enjoy it and make the finish!

Good to all running Manchester tomorrowimageimageimageimageimageimage 

• Greetings from a Manchester bound train!! Oh my goodness I'm finally nearly at the start line.

Great report Amy - really enjoyed all the highs and seeing all the photos. You Paris runners must still all be buzzing?

Great training BRB - London is nearly here. How you feeling?

I've continued to have a mad week and despite the early nights have struggled with decent sleep, I'm also going to the toilet every 5 minutes, so goodness knows what I'll be like tomorrow.

Weather is looking OK, but the foot I fractured has been niggly all week so I'm resigning myself that what will be, will be and if I have to walk, hop or crawl I will get to that finish!! This is my first marathon and I'll only get to run it once so I'm going to savour every damn moment!! They'll be tears tomorrow at the start line!!

Good luck to all other Manchester runners - we can smash this!!

Happy running all image
  • Amy - what a saga - you managed to convey the true epic status of the marathon to the reader, and how amazing that Steve Marathon Coach was able to run in with you - that's France for you.

Good luck to all at Manchester tomorrow!

Just a steady parkrun for me this morning - interesting how teh difference between going for it and holding back is only 44 seconds....tomorrow I'm doing a 6 mile hospice fundraiser, no numbers, no times, easy easy easy..
  • Such a brilliant write up of race day Amy!!! Definitely worth waiting till Thursday for... What a thing you achieved in digging deep to smash your sub4 target when the heat was clearly getting to you. I'm definitely not a hot weather runner either so can completely identify with how hard you found it, amazing! Totally understandable that you want to prolong the experience too, must be quite a 'come down' now... What an amazing person Steve Marathon Coach is running 14 miles of the race with you! I really, really hope that you're able to smash out another sub3 in London in 8 days time Steve, you totally deserve it!

As as slight aside and because I don't know how much longer Steve will read this thread; I'd like to say a massive thank you from me to you for all the positive comments and advice you've given me over the past 4 months via Amy's forum. I know that your role on here is primarily coaching her, but it's been invaluable for me to be able to ask you questions and take your advice too. I'm truly grateful, thank you... image

Wishing everyone doing Manchester Marathon tomorrow tons and tons of luck!!! Snafflepants, I can guarantee that you'll never forget your 1st marathon! I'll be spectating hopefully around the mile11/14 point on one of the out and back loops so will give everyone a massive cheer!!!

I was supposed to be doing a parkrun in Wilmslow this morning with my OH, but we had a late night last night and when the alarm went off, we just looked at one another and hit the sleep button, oops!!! I did have a really nice run at lunchtime though; I did 4M with 3 laps of my local park including 3 sets of 3mins of continuous hills reps. I even snaffled a cheeky KoM from a friend on STRAVA on one assent of the hill! This was after a trip to the physio about my hip. It really is nothing as foam rollering has virtually eliminated it but I thought a visit could only be beneficial. He's given me a load of exercises to do so I don't think it'll be a problem for VLM. Phew... Goodness, 'maranoia' really is kicking in!!!

How's the taper going for you RR and ktkt? Your run tomorrow sounds so refreshing RR, no numbers or times just running, brilliant! Enjoy it... 

Blimey Iain, a BS of 1.4!!!! How were you even upright?!?!?! (I'm a senior midwife so know a fair amount about diabetes btw...) That really demonstrates your incredible achievement on Sunday, not just finishing, but finishing in a really respectable time! Huge congratulations again... As for pacing me, I'd love to run with you sometime! Sadly I don't think I can get you a place in VLM next week, but I'd love to give the Ramathon a go as Derby's only 30 miles from me... I suspect that your sub1:40 pace would be too hot for me though, I'd be looking more for sub1:45! Maybe I'll see you there tho... image

• Hi BRB, I'm feeling exhausted so far in the taper, how mad is that?!

Well I did just do 2 weeks of Easter camp, so had to get up monster early most days to fit training in.

Will be back to shifts this week, which means not finishing til 9pm, but I have the whole morning to myself, which works for me, although it will actually be 2 months since I did late turn, so I've done my usual and have taken Thursday and Friday off so I can freak out properly.

I think I'll do what SMC suggested and leave the possibility of sub 4 open at halfway, but not be too dismayed with 4:15,

A friend who is on my start has 4:22 from her first marathon, and has asked if she could run with me to get a PB, oh no not that again I hear myself cry! We've never run together before, but it might be good for me to have a little task.

Amy - why not start planning your next big adventure to help with the inevitable slump?

You're doing something muddy soon aren't you?
  • BRB-taper is going OK so far, did a slow 10m this morning then have had a sports massage which I really needed And have some stretches to losen up my hips a little. 

Enjoy your run RR

good luck to those doing Manchester tomorrow!

• Sounds like the taper is going well for you all keep it up you are all nearly there now!

BRB, would love to meet up at the Ramathon, there are still places available and it will probably feel an easiesh run after VMLM!

I have learnt so much about really good training in the last 16 weeks that I will be using for the rest of the year. Whilst giving speed work a break for a couple of weeks. I'm going to keep the weekly speedwork session, and try to incorporate some of Amy's skills into my training by regularly doing strong finishes.

I to concur with BRB, your advice has been great and extremely trustworthy so a big thank you from me also Marathon Coach Steve.

I felt good this morning so at 5:30am went out and did 10.25 miles. I thought I would see where I am at so I aimed for sub 80mins and a strong finish AKA Amy.

went through 0-5 miles in 39:16 and 5-10 in 38:51, and finished with a 7:33 mile, average was 7:48, so achieved both aims, so a happy start to the goal of a sub 100 min half.

Hope for some more happy reports later today and take care all heading for London next weekend! Names or race numbers would be great then some of us can follow you live round the course via the delights of the WWW.

• Oh BRB, I forgot to say at times I'm an incredibly determined person boarding on being completely insane, at times last week in Paris I had images of the Monty Python black knight and decided it would have to take something like that to stop me from getting around the course.

I also think having experienced BS like that in training meant I didn't panic about the situation I found myself in. (No-one knows what I would give to have four successive weekends without diabetes so I could have a tilt at a 5k, 10k, HM, marathon PB without the hindrance of erroneous BS, now what a dream that is).

Still you can't have everything in life and I most certainly have no right to grumble there are many, many people out there in worse situations than I.

• Hey pocket rocket how the legs after last week. Awsome race report, and really well done for your time you did incredible image

Well for me it was Manchester Marathon today and couldn't ask for a better day for it. Conditions were perfect and was a great course which was nice and flat. Been good seeing some of the times from the other sub 4 bootcampers, for me it was a great day and managed 3:47:11 which was pretty much to plan apart from the last few miles but am really chuffed. Been a great experience and great reading everything that been going on.
  • Evening everyone, how's everyone's weekend been? Can't wait to hear how you got on at Manchester Snafflepants! Hope you got the result you deserve and most importantly you enjoyed your first marathon... When the next one!?!?!?!?image

Hey, massive congratulations baldrunnerman on that fantastic time in Manchester!!! You must be totally delighted... The sub4 bootcampers really are knocking it out of the park this year aren't they! I hope you're celebrating in style tonight... image

The taper really is a time for craziness isn't it RR! Don't know what's the matter with me at the moment as I can't seem to get certain negative thoughts out of my head... I've been writing down all the positive thoughts and successes from my training and revisiting them, but I think I need my brain reprogramming as the 'what if's' and 'buts' still keep creeping in!!! Bloomin maranoia... Sounds like you've got a solid plan sorted though, leave the possibility of sub4 open at halfway but be happy with sub4:15. And pacing a friend to a PB sounds like a good focus too... Glad everything's going ok for you ktkt! What's your goal for London?

Iain, I'll definitely given Ramathon some serious thought as I do need another road half this year for my club championships... What's the course like? Is it flat and good for a PB? Great running btw on your 10.25miler, especially so soon after a marathon...

I had a lovely run earlier today; the plan was for 8M steady so I set out on my standard 8 mile loop. I decided not to look at my watch at all during the run, but just run it on feel, ensuring it felt very easy throughout and concentrating on my form and breathing. I did the 8 miles in 1:15.15, average pace 9:24min/mile and it felt very relaxed. Only 3 more easy runs totalling 9 miles now till the big one, blimey... 

• Hey Pete Holt, how was today? I was thinking of everyone running in jealously but also some relief that my marathon was completed last weekend! Was your cough a hindrance?

Ouch, your poor friend Iain Hickman 2, I also have one toe turning black, lovely. I am, as I am sure others are, very jealous of your resilience to injury. You must have perfect technique and follow warm up and cool downs to the letter, along with your suitable kit. Love that you ran the park run James wearing your finishers tee.  The new route Shef half was the same weekend as Paris and I have seen at least 20 runners over this weekend wearing their finishers tees – proud.  Mum and I did her last park run too. We were going to aim to beat her time the other week of 25:09 but it was so very busy yesterday, the busiest I have seen it that we didn’t even move for 20seconds after the start and there are road works at the minute around the side of the park which resorted us to single file, so never mind. We still enjoyed it and think we ran it in a progression style. Hope the strong finishes plan works for you Iain Hickman 2, you know I like those! Sounds like it from your 10.25mile this morning! Mum and I did and easy 4mile out and back route this morning along the Five Weirs Walk to Meadowhall (think you know that one Reikirabbit), was really enjoyable.

Snuffepants how did it go?!?!?! I know what you mean about not getting decent sleep. Everything runs through your head doesn’t it. Hope your foot held out.

Looking forward to hearing how your hospice fundraiser went Reikirabbbit – are you collecting sponsors? I found the taper quite exhausting too. I think it is when your body tries to catch up with everything you have been putting it through. I think your strategy sounds a good one. As for your friend, that is a lovely thing for you to do, can you not fit in a run with her before the big day? If you aren’t worried about your time then it will not matter, but you could stand the risk of slowing yourself. Company is always nice though, and remember your body has been through quite a bit recently so running gently for enjoyment with a friend might be just the right thing to do.

Haha yep Buxton Running Bunny I completely relate to the paranoia! Stay focused. There are so many positives to draw on. Love that you have written them down, Victor would be proud. Glad your hip is not a problem. And hitting the sleep button – pah, who cares, sounds like you had a lovely run later, plus some extra QT with your OH, sounds like winner winner to me, and is probably why you are doing so strongly to be honest, listening to your body and getting enough sleep etc, something which I should really learn from I know, and I bet others too. Enjoy these last 9 miles. #sub4rocks #sub4bootcampers image

Reikirabbit, I know what an honour for Steve Marathon Coach to run with me. I don’t know how he did it, I mean I was so hot but Steve ran in full length black leggings and a full length black top, in trainers that were two years old, and on an injury - ?! And he basically did that for me – a selfless gentleman. And couldn’t agree more Buxton Running Bunny, will be completely routing for you next Sunday Steve and a massive thanks from us all.

While we are on the note of thanks, I would like to thank all those at Asics and Runner’s World who have made this possible, and my family, friends and work colleagues who have had to put up with me rambling on each day.  To Baldrunnerman (hey Matt), who without I would not have been able to access this website and be able to speak to all you guys. Matt you are too a gentleman and I owe you a million. I am so plea