Sub 4 Amy: #asics262

Comments

• Part 2...

While we are on the note of thanks, I would like to thank all those at Asics and Runner’s World who have made this possible, and my family, friends and work colleagues who have had to put up with me rambling on each day.  To Baldrunnerman (hey Matt), who without I would not have been able to access this website and be able to speak to all you guys. Matt you are too a gentleman and I owe you a million. I am so pleased for you. You nailed Manchester!! 3:47:11 – whoo! You got my secret desired time. Deserved. To Buxton Running Bunny too, you have been a star and really supportive since bootcamp and always believed in me, especially during the beginning few weeks. I don’t need to wish you luck or have anything crossed for you next week, London stands no chance against you. To Ant McNeill and his wonderful family for putting up with me so often, and Andrea Wescott, SupermanRuns Tim, and Thomas Rann, for being such fun and supportive team members. And I would like to thank each and every one of you guys too for your contributions on this “my thread”. I know this thread was set up by me because of this competition but I think it has been “our thread”, the “sub 4ers thread”, and from this point on I would certainly like it to be thought of as that. I have had an incredible 4 months and I have been a bit of a grumpy bum this week as the training has all come to an end, but all good things have to come to an end. This thread certainly is as much all yours as it is mine and I hope that those still left to run their marathons get all the support they need. And yes Reikirabbit I have new challenges and things to focus on and plan. I am running with my Mum and friend tomorrow night in what looks set to be a tough and messy 3.5miler, then I have the Tough Mudder at the end of May, and I have a travelling trip to plan when I’ll be able to experience and share some really exciting and incredible new runs I am sure image

• Whoops! Just read that back..also thanks to the other members of the Asics pro team Ruth McKean 2 Sarah asics pro team, and Victor whose inputs have been invaluable also. And to SamMurphy who although, not my personal coach, has provided some great input at the training days that I have learnt from.

• Morning

I hope you all had a lovely weekend.

Baldrunnerman – huge congratulations for your time yesterday, Well done!

BRB – I’m struggling a bit with taper too, go from being really nervous to doubting I’ve done enough training to then being emotional about the smallest things which is really unlike me! Is hard though...My goal is to get a pb even if it’s just 1 minute under I’d be happy so that’s under 3.38 which at the moment I’m doubting I can do so I then think perhaps I should just run it and enjoy it and see what happens rather than pushing myself. I keep remembering how tired I felt at the end of London when I got my PB and it puts me off, but then I’ve done more training this time around than I had then so perhaps I will be OK. Ahh this is what is going around in my head!  I need to have a big think, last year I ran Barcelona with a friend after being away for 3 weeks just before so not doing as much training as I should have. She just wanted to get sub 4, it was about 22 degrees on the day so I knew I’d have no chance at a pb so I just ran with her to help her get her goal and I had a really enjoyable run, despite the heat, because I didn’t put pressure on myself I think...so will see.  Do you know what you will do on the day, go to halfway and see or go to 20? Sounds like you had a great 8m on Sunday not looking at your watch...is strange thinking only 3 more runs to go!

RR – I never normally like running with people for the reason Amy has said you can run the risk of slowing yourself down but also agree if oyu’re not worried about a time then it could be a good goal for you to aim for. If on the day you want / can run faster and your friend is happy to either keep up or run on her own then perhaps it’ll be good to have the company. Might be easier to push each other along..

Amy – the week after a marathon is always hard I think as spending 4 months focusing on 1 thing, your life revolves around it and you start missing the goal / challenge so sign up to more things. Sounds like you have a few things booked in though to focus on like Tough Mudder which is meant to be great fun and a trip to plan too ..where are you off to travelling? That’s very exciting

• BRB, the course is indeed flat and has really good PB potential, and last year they had pacers for all sorts of times including sub 2hr sub 1:50, sub 1:40 (this pacer guy I know and he does HM in 1:20 so that was an easy run for him last year!)

It starts in Derby and goes out to Elvaston Castle (grounds are very scenic) and other outlying villages and ends this year in Derby County's football stadium. I'm looking forward to it.

Enjoy your last few runs before London this weekend!

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Hi Amy, thanks for checking on me.  yes my cold meant that I only attempted to jog around the course, however, my hip problem on my left hand side kicked in and meant that for over half the run I was in a lot of pain.  much of it was to my right knee where the lateral knee ligament is, although  both knees are now swollen and I am hoping that I have not caused myself any long term damage.  in hindsight I really should have stopped running nevertheless by the end I had jogged, hobbled and limped around in 4:00:37, which is slow but I never had a target in mind once my cold had not shifted, and as already mentioned I am angry with myself for being so stupid.

x

• Very well run Baldrunnerman! Pete I think you are being very hard on yourself, we are all prone to errors of judgement and loss of the ability to accept the obvious, hope you are recovering now.

Amy of course I am familiar with many versions of the 5 Wiers by now, and all should be open by the time I return, as should the Penine Way closure - I will be letting you know when I'm next in Sheffield, and don't forget a trip to London to test parkruns is always a possibility, most weekends in fact.

Needless to say I have sustained 17 freak injuries in the past 24 hours, and my colleagues are just insane deranged maniacs oh yes.
  • Hello All,

Sorry it has taken so long to update - I am still recovering from the shell shock and the wifi in our village has been kaput for the last few days - driving everyone absolutely mad!

I am so proud and still very emotional to say...I am a marathon finisher!! And.... A SUB 4 HOUR one!!

Baldrunnerman (very well done on your amazing run)  you are absolutely right. We couldn't have been blessed with better running weather.

I'll return later to give more details but it truly felt like everything came together and was the run of my life (seeing as I've only been running two years I'm guessing that isn't too difficult image ). Perfect weather, a great flat course, amazing support (I was in tears as I ran through Sale and Alty), fantastic volunteers and for once my pacing was kept in check: I negative split the race by around 30 seconds (got stuck for the first couple of miles in the crowds so the push at miles 20-26.2 including the fastest mile of the entire race at mile 22 pretty much evened out).

Will I do another one? YES! YES! YES! I have a free place in the Robin Hood marathon in September (from last years due to my broken foot) but I'm not going to do the full. Not sure my foot could cope with another almost back to back plan and I don't want to risk it. So it's the London ballot for me and if I (once again) fail to get through I'll be back in Manchester: as a host city they should be proud image

Official chip time is 3.52.06 - still very stunned image

Thank you for all your support and advice. The last 4-5 months has been so tough and your input has really kept me going.

BRB and the VLM crew - I hope your resting and feeling OK in your final days before Sunday? You'll be fab and totally smash it.

I hope all the Paris runners are feeling recovered and still enjoying the buzz?

Snafflepants x

• Evening y’all! Hows it going? Tick tock tick tock to London!!

Iain Hickman 2  that course sounds very idyllic. When is it again? Sorry if I have missed this info. A 1:20 half time – ouch your friend can fly!

Pete Holt 4:00:37 is not slow!! And I think congrats for just finishing it given the pain you were in by the sounds of it. Listen to Reikirabbit, she has hit the nail on the head. How is the hip now? And the knees? And the cold, have you run it off?

Thanks Reikirabbit I won’t forget image 17 freak injuries?! Is that possible?! What have you done...(I’m trying to think of some funny witty multiple injury episode to insert here but failing!). Hope you are ok?

Haha Snufflepants you sound like you live in a black hole!! Toot Toot yey well done on completing your first marathon and in sub 4!! imageimageimageimageimage And with such complications. Congrats. Great time. Yes the weather looked good from over here in Shef, I assume it was similar on the other side of the pennines. I look forward to your report when you have time (although you have already done a pretty good job and I have a fab picture in my head!). It sounds like you soared. And I hope they were tears of joy. So pleased you want to do another, and I think another and another! Yes be proud.

Yes Londoners, how are you feeling?

Mum and I did that race I mentioned last night, its the called the Trunce if anyone has heard of it, in Oxspring, I had never heard of it but there was a huge turnout for what I thought was a little club run. It was fun, good hills, a couple of streams, a bit of sandy stuff, road, stiles. Mum and I ran it together in 44:22, positioning 301 out of 387, the quickest running in only 14:57, which is unbelieveable!! And the last completing in 1:04:28, which just shows the experience of people that turned up for the run, which I love because all are welcome, and also it shows the terrain of the run. It was heaps of fun. It’s a series and I shall be able to run one more before I go away so will do this and see what time I can do it in going as fast as I can. Looking forward to it already! I have been limping today though, which isn’t good, so I have not run today, instead I went to a core class, did a few weights, and 20mins on the cross trainer, which I feel ridiculous on!

• Hi All

Very well done snafflepants, a great effort and reward over the last 16 weeks, I imagine you are indeed walking on the clouds, which must be very high in the sky as there were not many in the sky today!

I too am going to enter the London ballot for next year in the hope that 4th time lucky I make it in. To this end does anybody know when it is opening up this time for next year. A number of my mates are in with good for age times in this Spring series of marathons. I'd have to run sub 3:05 for my age category, lol (not even managed that pace for a HM)

Amy, Ramathon is on June 7th, I do recommend it, hey if you entered you could repeat Brighton half and pace me to a sub 1:40, wouldn't that be great? OR meet up for a post race drink? Just enter Ramathon into google and the world is your oyster! Glad to hear you enjoyed the race, sorry to hear you've been limping hope that sorts itself out soon.

I did yet another 10 miler to work this morning, unfortunately took on a little too much insulin pre-run which induced a hypo at mile 8 1/2, last mile was slow but did it in 79:18 @ 7:58/mile.

Lastly, from me today keep up the good tapering all you London runners!

I'm asking you all to get your thinking caps on and give me some advice. As already mentioned I'm trying to get into London again next year if that fails I'm going to do another these are my options, which do you think has the best potential for me to achieve that elusive sub 4hr

1. Brighton

2. Manchester

3. Edinburgh

4. Chester

All comments gratefully received!

• Probably Manchester Iain for terrain alone, although I know nothing about Chester.

Snafflepants that's a great run whoop whoop!

Amy I was exaggerating a tad, but really, both feet have had hobbling episodes, ankle tendons have been tweaked, the whole gamut of momentary agonies was experienced in one day!

Your run sounds fun, hope all settles down quickly.

It's still very close to Paris, so do take care not to overdo.

I did a 5 miler from easy through to threshold pace yesterday - nailed each mile to the second, but it was hard!

Off to Expo this morning, so will know my Pen by 11ish.....like it matters!
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Hi Amy, The cold has pretty much gone, thanks for asking.  Left knee seems fine which is promising but the right knee is puffy and swollen around the outside ligament. I cant walk properly with that leg nor will the knee take any load.  I am not planning on running for 10 days or so and then I will see how it goes, I am just hoping that it will be okay. 

And even if it is, I still need to fix the hip/pelvis problem.  I effected it when I was doing a heavy load strength session in the gym pre my marathon training and it was only responding gradually.  I made it through the training but then come to the taper and it flared up really badly impacting on my knee!!

• Long post alert...sorry!

Thanks all - still so excited about the whole experience image A true life highlight (along with my daughter being born and sitting on the Central Perk sofa haha!)

Back to Sunday (just a few things to add):

I woke up at 4am from a text from my sister who was monitoring the Metrolink twitter. When I arrived in Manchester I found that the overhead lines were down at Timperley and I couldn't get to my hotel as planned. Cue a 90 minute bus journey to the hotel in awful rush hour traffic with my bags image

Anyway, much relief as the line was back up and plan A was resumed. Awake I ate my porridge, strapped up my feet and we left around about 7am for the race village (my 8 year old daughter who hadn't arrived until 11pm the night before was a zombie - dance rehearsals!!)

Arrived at the race village, joined a toilet queue, got Isabel some Asics bangers and she made a banner. Got stuck in a toilet queue again and nearly lost my porridge about three times. I was petrified and bordering on tears!!

Left the family at the village and jogged to the start to try and find some fellow parkrunners and the 4 hour pacers. Found the pacers (but couldn't get near) but never saw anyone I knew. There were three pacers 3.58, 3.59 and 4.00. I managed to start in the middle of them, but I got left behind as the crowd moved forward and as I crossed the start line they ran off into the distance!! Tried not to panic - along way to go and marathons are about patienceimage

Penned in early on, running at a very slow pace of nearly 10 minute miles. The first mile marker had blown round the wrong way - so that confused me! Gradually as we ran passed the itv studios (not a fan but was still excited to see the Corrie signs) the crowd began to thin out and I found my pace. I was aiming for just under 9 minute miles for the first 20 and then I could either push on or hold on depending on how I felt.

I do remember that I didn't feel great or that easy. It felt hard work despite running much slower than my usual half pace. This was unsettling but I ploughed on.

Mile 5 came and it was time for my first gel. Went down easily enough. I'd brought 5 with me and last weeks stories of dehydration in Paris I was determined to at least have a swig at every station. I had 3 gels in my belt and I'd actually opted to wear my very cheap gilet half undone with a gel in each pocket and then dump it at around mile 10.

Onwards we ploughed on up to Sale where the support was incredible. Ran past so many children with high fives, jelly babies. Brass bands, rock choirs and the childrens choir who were singing 'I predict a riot' were amazing!! So many shouts of my name helped me along the way - if your names not on your top then put it on

• Part 2

So many shouts of my name helped me along the way - if your names not on your top then put it on – it makes such a difference.

Pushed on to Altrincham – up over the bridge and was keeping a nice steady pace of 8.45-55 along the way. At around the 12 mile mark I started to look for my family. If my husband hadn’t of shouted me I probably would have missed them!! Daughter up on his shoulders banging away, screaming her head off and I was able to dump my gilet with him and caught a ‘You’re looking amazingly strong – see you at the finish!!’ Ploughed on and hit the half way point at around 1.56.45 and back of Alty and onto Sale. As we left Alty a volunteer shouted ‘Cracking running Amy – hope you enjoyed Altrincham and we’ll see you again soon! And I literally had tears running down my face.

Back up to Sale and then onto Urmston where my sister lives. She warned me that in previous years when they’ve come and supported people start to hit the wall here so I was prepared for the worst. 

More jelly babies and a lovely group of children singing ‘Always look on the bright side of life’ made me giggle as I carried on desperately trying to get to 20 miles under the 3 hour barrier and not drop the pace.

I hadn’t planned on taking the gel they provided, but I thought ‘in for a penny in for a pound’ and it wasn’t bad to be honest and left me my final gel for around the 23 mile mark.

Out of Urmston and on the way back home through Carrington. This is the only area where there wasn’t much support and so I grabbed for my iPod before I could spend too much time thinking. By around mile 21 my quads and ITB had started to twinge but ignored and carried on. The second song that came on was Bruno Mars ‘Just the way you are’. When the lyrics “you’re amazing’ came I on I remember thinking – at this moment ‘yes I am!!’: the result the fastest mile of the race clocking 8.24!

At 23/24 there was a slight incline – hard on tired legs but I remembered what Amy had written all those months ago: ‘tuck your elbows in, push back and concentrate on your breathing.’ It worked and I was at the top and heading past the last water station.

As we ran the final straight before turning for the finish (ipod had long been abandoned) the support and crowds were huge. Dropped a jelly baby and someone chased and ran along side me to give me that final sweet!

Turned the corner and saw the finish. The clock was on 3.58 and I was desperate to finish with a gun time under 4 so I kicked for the line meaning I completely missed the family but snatched a sub 4 gun time with a bit to spare.

Crossed the line, legs went rock solid and I burst into tears – I just couldn’t believe that after everything that’s happened in the last few months I’d done it. 

• Last part (I promise!!):

Very slick finishing procedure: foil placed around you, medal over your neck, finishers bag sizes marked before onto the My Protein ‘Shake bar’ and the isotonic beer being handed to you.

The race village was very crowded but I found the family at the A-M sign (love it when a plan comes together) to much cheers and tears.

Amazing. Truly amazing. I loved it. The route, the support (best banners were ‘You’re the slowest runner so far (made me giggle) or ‘Touch here for power’ or ‘Run like Ryan Gosling is at the finish with puppies’), volunteers and the other runners. I don’t think I hit the wall mentally or physically and I just remember running past person after person in the last 6 or so miles.

Someone posted on the Manchester thread last week ‘Don’t be shit at the beginning (got out too fast) and be awesome at the end (run past everyone) and I repeated this to myself every so often and it seemed to work.

Anyway I hope I haven’t rambled too much – just thought I’d share after I enjoyed reading everyone else’s reports.

Iain – can’t speak for the others but I completely recommend Manchester. The terrain is something like 54m elevation which is nothing. The organisation was great and the support fantastic for a relatively small event of 10-12k runners (this is because they have a district competition for the best support and as a runner you get to vote afterwards- something Nottingham should do for the RH I think). You can also enter at early bird and they’ll allow you to defer if you get into the ballot for VLM.

Thanks again everyone – the support and info has helped me so much.

Good Luck BRB and all of you running the VLM – can’t wait to hear all about it…

• Well done Snafflepants - that's a great write up. Sounds like you had a great experience on your first marathon...I would also run a lot faster if I saw the banner about Ryan Gosling being at the end image

Pete Holt - I hope your knee gets better soon after some rest.

RR - I hope you manage to avoid any other little injuries for the rest of the week.

I'm doing my final 'long' run of 4 miles tonight..can't believe it's only a few days away now...

• Afternoon everyone, how are we all feeling? Hope you're all basking in some lovely sunshine as I am... (Although, I'd like it to disappear behind a cloud on Sunday between about 10am and 2pm please!)

Firstly, Snafflepants, WOW!!!!! Amazing performance in Manchester on Sunday and totally well deserved after all the hard work you've put in over the past 4 months! I loved reading your race report and what a performance, especially in the 2nd half... It's great that you didn't hit 'the wall' and maintained an even pace throughout, what do you think most enabled you to do this? The carb load? Nutrition? Even though I've got my carb load and in race nutrition plan all written out and sorted, it's always interesting seeing what other people do when it works... Massive congratulations again! image

Next to Pete Holt, what a brilliant time for just 'jogging' round! Although it doesn't sound like you had a great race health wise, 4:00.37 is still a fabulous time. I really hope that your hip and knee get better quickly and you're back running again soon. Don't push it thought, have you been seeing a physio for some rehab? I'll keep everything crossed for you and a rapid recovery.

Oh my god ktkt, I'm massively overemotional right now! I had a totally unnecessary argument with my mother last weekend over nothing at all; I've been round this morning with a bunch of daffs to apologise, blooming maranoia!!! Your race plan for Sunday sounds great; in the hunt for a PB! You'll smash it tho as you've trained harder and smarter this year so I'm sure you're going to reap the benefits... Which start are you on? Green I guess as you've got a GFA time? Enjoy your final 'long' run tonight!

RR, my maranoia has also extended to a whole variety of imagined injuries and illness!!! I really must get a grip... Sadly I do have an actual twinge going on right now; this is just sooooooooo frustrating as I've escaped without any problems throughout all the high milage weeks! My right hip that was sore on my 12 miler 10 days ago has been flaring up again. Despite seeing a sports physio and a sports injury therapist in the past 4 days, foam rollering religiously and doing all my stretches and exercises, yesterday it was the worst it's ever felt. I did an easy 4 miles with 4x100m marathon pace strides and it was sore throughout really, then sore for the rest of the day. I felt like crying yesterday with the frustration of it...

However, today I'm feeling much more positive. I took some decent painkillers and anti-inflamatorys yesterday evening and today it's much, much better, phew! No painkillers required so far so fingers crossed... Today I'm supposed to be doing 3M easy with 3x100m marathon pace strides and a friend from my running club who's also running in London asked if I'd like to run with her so I'll see how it feels but stop immediately if I feel any pain. The only other run on the plan is 2M easy with 2x100m marathon pace strides on Friday, but I'll probably give this a miss and then I'll have a clear 3 days rest. After all, I don't really think that 2M is going to make a difference to my finish time but 3 days rest might! 

Also today I've been working hard on visualising achieving my target time and added new positive thoughts and feelings to my list. I've finalised my pacing plan and set my Gold, Silver and Bronze targets so it's all positivity. Either that or I'm just totally manic, who knows!!!

Iain, I've gone and done it and entered the Ramathon today!!! Eek, see you there... I read an article that said it's one of the flattest HMs in the country this year with only 18m of difference between the highest and lowest points on the course. Your assertion that it's a great event and the PB potential was good enough for me! I'm

• that it's a great event and the PB potential was good enough for me! I'm in... For your next marathon I'd definitely recommend Manchester; it's fast and flat with amazing support and like Snafflepants said, you can defer if you're lucky enough to get a VLM 2016 place. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get a ballot place, but don't hold your breath; I've been 6 consecutive times unlucky so far! I did it last year for charity with a Golden Bond place and this year I've got a club place... I'll have to hope it's lucky no 7 for me otherwise I'll definitely not be there in 2016! 

Amy, your race with your mum sounds like loads of fun!!! It just goes to show what a huge variety of races there are out there, from big city marathons, to £4 entry fell races, to clambering over stiles with your mum... Brilliant! Do you feel like you've fully recovered from Paris now? I hope so...

RR; how was the Expo? I can't wait to step through the door again but I'll be there Friday afternoon... Did you manage to spot the legend that is Paula Radcliffe? Jealous if you did... 4 days and counting!

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Cheers BRB, no not yet too much swelling for the physio to do any work.  Once it goes down I will need to go back to feedback to him how the problem reacted (the pelvis) on the lead up to the race.  He can check me knee out then, hopefully it will be all good, and nothing worse than inflammation.

• Snafflepants, what a great read, I've loved this thread for all the training tips and progress and now for all the wonderful stories of race days. Where, if we look back on the last 10 days including all the Asics runners as well, even some who have had a tinge of disappointment to their marathon result, everybody has had successes and most importantly have all achieved great success, well done, everybody.

I am so looking forward to hearing more success stories after VMLM this weekend!

I have a few friends to follow this Sunday including you BRB, however, to make my life easier in this regard, could we have your race number!

Pete, hope the knee gets better soon, and lastly, once again great performance Snafflepants and thanks for the information about running the Manchester marathon course!

• Having just read your last post BRB, I'm absolutely delighted to hear that you've gone and done it. I would love to meet up with you @ Ramathon, but doing this around 4,000 runners and spectators could be a little tricky. So I've messaged your inbox on this thread with my email address, hopefully you'll get back to me. Also as I didn't know you are a senior midwife you can have an electronic copy of my marathon control during marathon training as it might come on handy in future for your patients. (not quite finished it yet though writing up the race!)

However, looking past my waffle, make sure you stay focused on London first, and I wish you all the best, so go and smash that PB, which I have every confidence you will do as you have trained so well!

• Snafflepants - wow I felt like I was there - very inspiring to me for Sunday, and you captured the best of how it can be when we make it so. Great read indeed.

BRB I missed Paula because I have now turned into an imbecile. This morning it took me 5 trains t get to Excel rather than the necessary 2, and halfway through my journey on the 2nd I was further away than I started and oddly about a 10 minute walk from my house.

Do not ask. But my friend who was waiting for me saw Paula!

Then there was a humngous queue - just the one, yes it was my one! Was a nervous wreck and quite late for work by the time I edged my number out of the envelope to check the pen number - they've only gone and gven me Pen 3!!!!!

Oh the irony, could have taken major advantage of that last year.

My knee is sore BRB, no denying it. I do have an easy 30 minutes tomorrow, 20 on Saturday.

Will do my physios a couple more times, have a go on the row and chest press in the Olympic Park as my arms like that little wake up a lot, am having a Tui Na on Friday too.
  • So for anyone who wants to track me on Sunday, my running no is 21829! I'll be wearing my Buxton AC vest (see forum pic!), black shorts and bright orange Asics trainers... I feel slightly apprehensive giving you my running no as it'll feel weird knowing that you can all see how well (or not) I'm doing... Eek!!! Well I'll give it my all and certainly hope to uphold the high standards already set on this thread...

Such a shame you missed Paula at the expo RR, oh well, never mind... Pen 3!?!?! Blimey you speedster... I'm hoping for pen 4/5 as this pace should be right for me. I'd be terrified I'd end up getting swept along and go too fast if I was any further forward. I was pen 6 last year and lined up at the back which worked really well as I didn't have to weave in and out of anyone and the pace was perfect. Oh well I'll find out tomorrow as I'm heading to London in the morning then straight to the expo, I can't wait!

I had a nice easy run yesterday with 3 club mates, 2 that are doing London and 1 who did Manchester on Sunday in a GFA time and cracking PB for him of 3:18... We just did 4 miles and my hip felt pretty ok actually so I'm feeling positive! Just rest, rest and rest now till Sunday... I hope your knee is just taper madness RR, fingers crossed!

• Sounds like a good run BRB and glad that your hip is OK. With rest until sunday it'll be no problem I'm sure image I hope the maranoia is getting better, I've just stopped getting so emotional now just getting nervous. I'm heading to the expo tomorrow night -  not sure what colour start but yes I have a GFA time so perhaps that is green, I shall find out!

RR - sounds like you didn't have the best experience getting to and at the Expo. I'm sorry to hear about your knee but again with your physio exercises and some rest I hope it'll be OK for Sunday and like BRB says perhaps it's just taper madness!

• Thanks ladies, needless to say I woke up with a full blown lurgy and have had to resort to extreme measures [including a blast with half a garlic bulb in it!]. It's nuts because I wasn't this bad when going for PBs. Well maybe I forgot....still hoping that the hysteria subsides so I can watch motivational footage.
  • Thanks all for the lovely comments and congratulations - was a real pleasure to share image

BRB, ktkt and RR - the best of luck for Sunday - looking forward to watching it from my armchair and cheering you all on. I always get so emotional watching the VLM and all the stories which make up the race. As cheesed off as I get each time I get that rejection magazine (5 times in a row now) - it sucks me right back in every time!

BRB - I'm not sure what worked to be honest. Maybe it was the combination of all of it? I certainly wasn't careful like the Asics guys were in terms of chocolate and cake: it was where quite a few of my carbs came from as pasta and pizza is a no go for me. I do know I can run it faster - the fear of the unknown is what unsettled me the most and in recent events I had messed up my pacing. I'm normally very even (parkrun splits are normally within 1 or 2 seconds and people joke I'm a robot!) runner and if I hadn't stopped to high five so many people I'd have had probably saved my self a few seconds here and there but I wouldn't change the experience for the world. Fuelling went smoothly and knowing I had strategies for when it may get tough gave me confidence I suppose. Part of me thinks it was a major fluke HAHA!

My husband is running the Ramathon so I'll be there supporting and cheering you all on - he's looking to go sub 1.50 for the first time: fingers crossed! I in the meantime have the Run Round Sheffield pair event and Equinox 24.

BRB - I meant to post ages ago: huge respect and congrats to your other half on his Duathlon achievements. I marshalled at the Clumber Park one a couple of months back. WOW! The fitness and endurance is insane - it put me off doing one for life image

Enjoy the weather all and fingers crossed for some cool temperatures and cloud cover on Sunday!

• The maranoia isn't so bad today thanks ktkt; it's been replaced by positivity, excitement and some over emotional outbursts! I think I've cried on 3 separate occasions today, twice watching inspirational videos of VLM and then a third time when I heard the music on the BBC trailer... Wow, I really need to get a grip! Thankfully I know I was like this last year, but actually far less emotional on the day... I'd always imagined I'd cry buckets when I crossed the line but it never happened, I just felt totally thrilled! Let's hope it's the same on Sunday at about 2pm ish!

Oh no RR, the dreaded lurgy!!! I'm sure it'll be gone by Sunday though with everything you're doing... I've got fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed for you!

Thanks for the best wishes Snafflepants, much appreciated! Hope you're still basking in a sub4 marathon finishers glow... How have you recovered? Any running yet? Plus I'm really glad to see that cake and chocolate have formed part of your carb load, there's hope for me yet!image I'm sure your time wasn't a fluke, it was down to 4 months hard work and dedication and totally well deserved... Maybe I'll see you at the Ramathon! You don't fancy running it too?

And many thanks for the congrats for my OH; he's a total legend in my eyes (obviously!)... I loved going to support him at Oulton Park; Duathlon is a great event. You're right, the fitness and endurance is crazy!!! He's actually flown off to Madrid today for the European Duathlon Championships on Sunday; it's rubbish timing as he can't watch me in London and I can't support him... Oh well, I'll have to make do with supporting him in Adelaide in October at the World Champs instead!!! It's a hard life hey... 

What time are you heading to the expo ktkt? I'll be there from about 3pm till about 7:30pm when my sister is coming to pick me up... If you're around would be great to say hi. 

• RR I hope you feel better soon..i'm sure by Sunday most of it will have left your system..fingers are crossed for you.

glad the maranous is better BRB and emotions are likely until Sunday, I do sometimes get a little teary after the run but good ready! I'm heading to the expo after work, will try and leave work early so I can get there for about 6.30pm so would be great to meet!

• Great to hear we might get some support on the Ramathon, Snafflepants. We'll have to let you know what kit we are in and hope you spot us somewhere on the course!

I too love watching the VMLM on TV, the only problem I have this time is I have about 10 running friends to watch their splits come in on the laptop, and watch on the TV, I'm a man and I can't multi-task!

However, there will be one major difference this year, I can look on all the runners in admiration at their successes, one for knowing that I can run a marathon too, and secondly, for actually finding out how difficult it is to run one.

We all have to remember one thing that has probably hit me more than anything else over the last few days, we all have our goals for a marathon (get to the finish line, run in a certain time and so on), even if you don't quite make the time you were aiming for, it is an amazing achievement to run the marathon, and to this end I need to thank all of you for helping me to have this feeling. Because it would be wrong for me to not to say that there was some disappointment after Paris for not going sub 4hr after 16 weeks of hard work, but now having held that medal again today, I'm the happiest ever to have completed the marathon in the first place, when I have since found out that some of my family members thought I would not be able to run it!

Lastly, on me, I am looking at a specialist framing company to make me a memento of Paris to have pride of place on the wall here at home. I am thinking of putting this in the frame, my finisher's certificate (this includes pic of the course and my finishing time and splits etc), my medal, my race number, photo of me at the finish!

Enjoy the EXPO BRB, Reikirabbit and KtKt, if I ever get into London, I will make sure that I spend more time at the next one rather than the rush job in Paris!

The excitement is building!

• Iain I know you will be astonished at the adaptation between your first and second marathons.

Felling a bit better today at last, calmer too!

I'm off for a Tui Na which should sort me out.
  • Hi guys! Sorry not forgotten you all. It's been my sis bday and Mums last couple of days so been busy. Off to bed now as have to get Mum to the airport tomorrow so will catch up properly tomorrow sorry. Hope the London buzz and sub 4 feelings are running strong ????