Loch Ness Marathon

Comments

• Nessie -I've been away from work but I hope you got my e-mail before our system crashed (someone hacked into our site and placed an 'alternative Welsh English dictionary on it - with - well - words that I didn't really want to know the meaning of in English let alone Welsh!!)

Anyway - I still can't walk comfortably after Vyrnwy so am definately out of Loch Ness. I'm so glad I did Vyrnwy to be honest - as I'd rather have found out on a short 1/2M that I was in dire straits and still be able to finish - just - than have to pull out half way along the Loch which would have been so upsetting for Mr and MiniSS.

Thanks for your brilliant support over the last few months - it was that fab 16.5 miler run that did for me - but it was still worth it!!

Good Luck everyone. Enjoy the hills!

SS
  • Just a quick note to wish all the forumites all the best for this marathon.
  • Number 543, while I remember.

Thanks, Jane and SS, for the good wishes. I'm starting to get VERY nervous.

Now, where's the valium.
  • Number 523.

With no piccies to go by I'm relying on you guys to recognise me at the pasta party.

Nessie. You're not alone with the nerves. I ran the Maidstone Half yesterday and felt like stink after 10 miles (it was quite hilly though). Had to RICE a shin splint which will no doubt be giving me grief next week. I don't intend to do any running at all this week.

The do on Saturday will be a great way to get rid of pre-race nerves. I'm still dubious about spending an hour on a coach with 60 over-hydrated stomach churned runners though.

• Nessie, Daisy Duke, Scotty H, looking forward to meeting up with you guy's on Saturday night at the pasta party. I'll post my race number later in week.

• its nice to know that im not going to be the only nervous person on the start line next week, i think my nerves started about a fortnight ago.
    i did 8 miles yesterday which took in the last 4 miles of the course, a bit of the old mental preperation.

ST.
  • Super Ted,

Guess your doing loch ness as well. will you be at the pasta party ? and if so how can we identify you !
  • Good news everyone.

Forecast is dry and cool, with a 9mph following wind!

One less thing to worry about.
  • ellie,
    sorry but i won't be stopping for the pasta party as i am not a fan of bulk catering (prior engagement), as far as i can remember my race number will be 119.

i dare say there will be plenty of time to find people on the sunday morning either on the buses or on the start line.
  • Have just decided to enter and have received the pack - know nothing at all about the route (difficulty/gradients etc) - sounds as if following the edge of the Loch, it should be reasonably flat? Is this a correct assumption or are there any hills/gradients to be wary of?
  • graham,

the course is generally flat with a few little ripples along the way, 3 miles in there is a big down hill section and then at about 16/17 miles there is a long gradual incline as you come out of Dores (small village)for the next 5 miles it is a bit undulating, in all there is nothing to worry about (i am also using this as part of my psychological build up)

ST.
  • Thanks Super Ted, am looking forward to this. Have been in the doldrums for most of the summer but have recently been buillding my longer runs up to 18 and 20 miles over some fairly undulating terrain. The scenery will be nice - will hopefully take my mind,off the distance. Pasta party sounds fun.

GRM
  • Um, there are a couple of short sharp hills (at Whitebridge and Foyers), but the first 3-4 miles is downhill (if my measurements were right in the car). Depends on what you are used to I suppose (I'm not looking forward to any of the hills, especially the short but pretty steep bit at Scanniport (19/20ish)). But the last 5 miles are definitely downhill/flat.

When did you enter, Graham? I thought the closing date was a couple of weeks ago.
  • Contacted the website end of last week and 'phoned on the off chance. The chap I spoke to was very helpful - was told to register on line and the pack arrived Saturday. Got the impression that they are still some way short of the 2,000 target and are leaving the door open up to the last minute.

Thanks for the added information on the route - have studied an O/S map on WWW.streetmap.co.uk and have noticed some of the shallow valleys/river crossings after the route departs the edge of the Loch.

Will be my 5th marathon this year so should have the stamina but probably not the speed (quads a bit sore still from yesterday's Maidstone half and Maidstone 10K). With a week's rest and upping the carbs from wednesday should be okay for a steady effort on Sunday. Just booked overnight sleepers and B&B - am looking forward to it now. Just hope the conditions will be good.
  • i will be running in this race under team gist.one of the guys has already had to call off due to viral infection.hoping the weather will be better than the glasgow half marathon.see you all at the pasta party.
  • My running number is 602

Graham where's GRR&AC ? also what running No are you, sound's like your a serious runner to me, are you up there with the elite ?

KG what no are you ?

• Hi everyone Im number 96
    I managed the 20miler but I calculated my weeks wrong and had 1 spare, 'yipee' thinks I more time to train.....then I get a bad ear infection. Its cleared up now but 2weeks of only managing two medium sized runs this far into it has made me nervy.
    Nessie, did you do the Inverness half?
    I have the honour of being last after turning on my ankle at mile 3.
    Im scared witless of it happening again.
    P.S pasta party - Ive got fit all normal parameters height and weight wise, long blown/red hair,cat tattoo on ankle, wearing blue tie dye top with gold sun on front and back (bought for the occasion) Im too vain to wear my glasses all the time so if you see me PLEASE come up, its questionable i'll spot you! :o).
    Someone please calm my nerves, that I wont be last and tell me how to recognize them. Anyone interested in triathalon,biking or endurance racing.....my husband would be interested in meeting too :o)
  • christine,

i dont think you will be last as i have heard of a person who thinks it is a half marathon and another person who (stupidly) thinks that no prior preparation will get them round.

ST.
  • GRR&AC is Gravesend Roadrunners & Athletics Club (emphasis is more on roadrunning than athletics). We're a small club, around 50 or so members of all ages and levels of ability. We try to provide a friendly and sociable environment where effort and personal achievement count as much as ability.

Yes, I'm a fairly serious runner - I enjoy it immensely and try to do as well as I can but without it taking over my life. I'm certainly not at the elite end of the scale.

I'm number 364 - let's all hope for good conditions on Sunday and all the best to everyone taking part.
  • Christine,

Yes I did Inverness half this year and in 2000 (had flu in 2001). Don't worry too much about being last - I'm worrying enough for both of us! My target (officially) is 5:30, and I would love to do 5:15 or better, but as long as I finish in daylight.........

Anyway if what Superted says is right, there are a couple of runners in for something of a shock! (BTW ST, do you know who these people are and can you point them out to us. I would never mock another runner's performance, but surely they can read instructions!)

Anyway, Christine, I'll keep an eye out for you (or at least your t-shirt!) on Saturday. I'll wear a red velvet high neck, short sleeve top (just decided, hadn't thought about it before) and I have brown hair, probably tied up. 5'4" medium build.

I've done 6 triathlons now, and love cycling (road and MTB). Endurance - hmm, maybe - I'll let you know on Monday!
  • Hi...

Well I must be in for about last place, my longest run so far is the glasgow half.. and I mean longest ever in a lifetime ... No idea why, I have been training on and off for the past few weeks without really knowing why .. I think my training needs a little structuring.
    My number is 583 and I have no idea what I shall be wearing at the pasta party, probably a T-shirt .. now decided.. with a small union jack on the chest.
  • Nessie

Cycling, triathlons and endurance.wow, my husbands going to want to talk to you!
    As for finishing in daylight.....Im taking a torch!
    I didnt go on my run last night as i walked out of my cr***y job, earlier that day.
    Still it gave me some hope, if I had got the guts to do that I can do the marathon!
    Oh well! Now Im Unemployed Ive plenty time to finish my final weeks training! :o)
    Will look forward to meeting you at the pasta party and everyone else going.
  • my no.297 iwill be at the pasta party,with a couple of my team members. i will be wearing a saltire running kit on sunday.
  • Just seen a weather report for Sunday, looks like heavily overcast with rain and a 9 mph south westerly.
  • At least the wind is behind us!
  • Don't worry Graham. We'll be taking some of our nice Kentish sunshine with us. I'm very impressed that you managed both Maidstone runs. I'm still hurting from the Half ! See you in Inverness.
  • I'm often "wind assisted" but that's another story!

Hopefully your aches and pains will soon ease off Scotty (hope you weren't one of the unfortunate few at Maidstone who were sent the wrong way on Sunday). Seem to have recovered well enough to consider an easy few miles this evening - main worry is avoiding friends and colleagues with coughs and sneezes. Am overdosing on vitamins and zinc!
  • The wind is behind us! :o)
    Oh thank God! :o)
    After 4 months training in Dingwall and surrounding where for some season the wind was always in my face, except for once (truly!) Great stuff!
    Still Nervous though.......very nervous.
    Anyone else want to post descriptions, Ill try desperatly to peer short sightedly for Nessie and Daisy.
  • GOOD LUCK all you Monster Raving Loonies taking part !

Hope it goes really well for you all - I'll be thinking of you as I turn over in be on Sunday morning!

Enjoy & above all else have fun - remember - you're doing it because you enjoy it!
  • This will be almost the last time I sign on before I leave. Tomorrow lunch ... so I shall hopefully see you's all either at the pasta party or sunday morning... I shall be wearing my RWUFRC (is that right?) vest for the first time ;-)
    If I dont see you's ... then GOOD LUCK everyone..
    DD