Ridgeway Challenge 2015

I have been wanting to do the Ridgeway Challenge for ages and think 2015 will be my year image

However, I am doing the Manchester Marathon in April, which leaves me (with one month rest/recovery) 3 months to step up to 85.  Is this do-able?

I have done 7 marathons including 5 trail marathons and my longest is 50 miles, although that was in 2010.

One idea I had was the do the Race to the Stones 100k over two days 6 weeks before but not sure if that would give me enough recovery time. 

Any thoughts or tips very welcome - thanks!  image

Comments

• One month to rest and recover from Manchester? Err 5 days maybe image that's given you a few more weeks image 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

If you've done a 50 you will know what it's about mentally.  You sound a little short on preparation - I would book several marathons, or some short trail ultras in the spring and early summer.  Marlborough Downs Challenge 33 would be very suitable.

Your proposed event also sounds good training.  You would have plenty of recovery time. Keep up the long training runs on trails until about 2 weeks before R85.

One of my favourite events. I think there is thread for it in this topic already.

• I am in for 2015.

My buildup races are as follows: Compton 40, Ridgeway 40, 2 x Recces of the route (one for each half) - a lot cheaper than race to the stones! Will be racing offroad this winter as I am entered for the Grizzly, then going to do North Dorset village marathon in early May.

Marlborough 33 is a possibility.

• Thanks.  I am in the Channel Islands so have to fly back to races, which gets expensive, so I was trying to limit them!

I am now thinking of doing Marlborough 33 in May, then a 36 mile ultra in Channel Islands on 6 June, maybe South Downs marathon two weeks later, then RTTS 100k in July just to get me more familiar with the course (maybe in two parts), then a recce of the route over 2 days at the start of August. 

Will have a hunt for the other thread.  Have seen the 2014 one which is really helpful image