Might Contain Nuts - The Welsh Trail Running Series 2015

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Dank-art   Time on your feet is what is needed, preferably on terrain as rough and hilly as you can find.  A few 4hr+ runs, without worrying too much about the distance you cover.  You've absolutely got to forget all about even pacing.

By the way that hill is epic, especially near the top.

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    Time in feet sounds logical and it's the training I did in the 8 weeks up to my 50km last year. There's some pretty steep hills and varied trail surface at Brentwood thornbury park, so I'll probably go there to train although it's only around 6 miles so won't get anywhere near 4 hours in there! Would a 4 hour road run interspersed with smaller hill and trail runs in the week suffice ?
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

What sort of terrain is available local to you?

I am a lucky git and did most of the EnduranceLife Exmoor marathon route yesterday, 20 miles and 1500m of climbing. There is a world of difference between 20 road miles and 20 off road miles! My legs are telling me all about it, nothing like how they would be on the road.

At least try and do some hilly road miles if that is what is available, but training off road is the way to go if you race off road.

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    I have some country parks with hills and trails nearby, so I guess I could do multiple laps of these to get the time and mileage I need ?
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I am certain that off road is the way to go, how disciplined are you? Yesterday when the wind picked up and the hail hit me in the face (and everywhere else image ) Doing another lap would NEVER have happened image But it hit at the furthest (and highest) point away from the start image 

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    Laps are boring, but I am very disciplined so if that's the task to be completed then I'll complete it !
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Good man!! Being a complete wuss I am just going to do the Marathon... my second in two weeks image

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    It's all good fun! This will be my furthest distance yet and just aim to complete strongly, got the snowdonia marathon the month after so hope my legs and knees are up to it! image
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

SideBurn - what's it like underfoot on the CTS Exmoor course at the moment, I seem to remember it's pretty decent apart from the first 10km loop which can get muddy on the return to the Hunters Inn?

I'm heading off to Lynmouth on Friday night and going to do that route and then the old AdventureHub Ultra course to Minehead & back - about 70 miles/15,000' I thinkimage

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I ran in road shoes GeeeM and only regretted it a little bit image About 90% is OK for roads shoes but the 10% is pretty slippery and in places where you do not want to be slipping about! Tough call really, if it continues to be wet then trail shoes are a must! I have not done the short loop recently but it is going to be muddy! If I was not doing the Bideford half on Sunday I would love to have joined you image

Hope the weather is kind, if there is anything I can help with let me know, I live a few miles away... but you are welcome to the Minehead and back bit, scenery is amazing though!

Let me know how you get on image

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Not easy to explain how they have put the extra miles in, but you come back and do part of the big loop again. You are welcome to the miles though! 26 miles are enough for me on that terrain! Make full use of Hunters Inn, it is a great pub!

Hopefully see you at the event?

• sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭

My ultra training this year, for the first time, is including quite a bit of fast hiking with a bit of weight. I'm figuring that as I rarely run up mountains come race day then it'd be wise to strengthen my hiking muscles, hence the weight.  

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Dank-art - preparing for the Brecon Beacons is a little tricky in Essex.  What's the Essex Way like? Or take a trip south and do a section of the North Downs Way?

• Dank-art
    Get as much hill running into your training as possible - it's the downs as well as the ups that take it out of you so you've got to get used to the eccentric muscle contractions associated with running downhill.
    Personally I'd go for Inov8 Roclites rather than X Talons (unless it's very muddy) as they give a bit more cushioning / protection underfoot.

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice, so if i factor in 2 sessions of hill reps per week, some speed work and then a long road run, is that going to be enough, maybe i can drive down to North Downs or somewhere not too far for my sunday longs, to get some rough terrain and hills in? I am committed to doing this, so will do what it takes to train properly..

so I have 11 weeks after this weeks recovery from my sunday Thames Meander marathon, I was toying with doing another marathon start of April, but with a week after for recovery, it would give me 6 weeks training with 1 week taper before the Ultra, is that sensible?

My base fitness is quite high, so i need to focus on my hills training and long off road runs? Is 6 weeks hills going to be enough?

I have included hill reps in my training for the marathons i am doing, but they haven't been too difficult...

also, are we saying that my X Talon's are not suitable, really need to know what to wear now!?? Please advise?

Seen the INOV 8 race ultra 5 backpack looks great, good review in Trail Running mag, like the fact you don't carry the water bottles in hand...

sorry for all the panic and questions, want to do this properly and complete strongly, not in bits! 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Dank - If you can find an offroad marathon in April or early May that would be a good idea.  There's Neolithic - highly suitable - 3 May or Stroud 10 May.  Both are hilly, if not mountainous. Marlborough Downs Challenge is a 33-miler also on 10 May but possibly a little too close.

Brecon 40 is very stony in places and would advise some sort of cushioning in your shoes.  I use La Sportiva Crosslites.

Go to a store and try a few running packs on if you haven't got one.  Remember to put some weight in them.

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Thanks T Rex, so it's a good idea to run a trail lMarathon that close to the Ultra? Are Hoka's any good for this event? I feel a little unprepared for it now! image

• sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭
    Remember you don't need to do a race to cover that distance, instead of paying for a race why not just drive across here and go for a long hike on part of the route?

As for shoes; I've rarely felt over dressed in the Brecon Beacons in X-Talons, sure parts are rocky but you sound like you're training to do this quick so you might want to sacrifice comfort in the rockier sections for zippyness in the clagg. I'd be in trailroc/x-talon depending on rainfall beforehand.
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Hi Sean, yes thats an idea, don't think doing a trail race is a good idea before i tackle this one, but a quick paced Hike could be good training, so you think my X Talons will suffice? No no no, speed isn't what i am after, completing is what i am looking for, certainly not looking for a time! image

So training wise I am now thinking, maybe going to North Down's which is near and doing a few long runs there, maybe 2 or 3, and then once before the actual race going to Brecon Beacons and hiking a decent chunk, maybe 15 or so miles? 

Lots of hill reps in Essex and speed work

Few road long runs?

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

"zippyness in the clagg" You don't hear that phrase every day image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Entering a trail marathon, at a non-race pace if preferred, is all good preparation for the actual target race.  Ideally no nearer than 3 or 4 weeks before Brecon. Treat it as a long training run but with the added zip of a race atmosphere.  It will also be a good means to test out kit, nutrition, etc.  And shoes ...

If you've never been to the Beacons before I'd save them for the day.  It will add to the mystique of the event. They are truly magnificent on a fine day.  But on a bad day they're SAS territory.  Don't forget your compass!!  (And know how to use it.)

Go over the map of the route thoroughly.  On ultras like this I usually print off some A4 sheets of OS 1:25000 and the mark the route on them and carry them around in a map case, e.g. Ortlieb.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

They give you a waterproof map on the day image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

They do.  I always like to have maps ready long before hand, though.

frenchy - if you're on here - I'm finding a lot of the links aren't working on your website, especially to route maps for ultras, also entry lists.  I would like to compare your Round 2 route with the one in 2012 when I did it.

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

T Rex - generally the MCN team don't release some details until closer to the event. If the links aren't there, it's normally because those details aren't finalised yet.

I think the route maps files are the same as the ones used to print of the waterproof ones we get on race day, (if you look at the file then it has all the CP details on - as printed on the maps). I suspect they're not finalised and printed until nearer the actual event in case of course changesimage

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

How did your visit to Lynmouth go GeeeM? The Bideford Half went badly for me; I am injured, but still expect to be at the 2nd round!

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Bad news Sideburn - that's why I don't do half marathons any more!

Decided against Lynmouth, have done a lot of coastal running recently so have been exploring new routes in the Cotswolds and Shropshire Hills instead! 

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

I didn't think there was a lot of navigation required????, i have no experience yet of navigating with compass! Getting worried now! image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

From what I remember there are waymarks in key places.  You'll be fine.

It's at the end of May so there probably won't be weather issues and it'll all be straightforward.  But if the clag is down you'll need something to go on like GPS or, if you're a dinosaur like me, a compass.

The top of Waun Rydd is quite a bad place to be in difficult conditions or at night.  I was doing an event last September and blundering about up there among the peat hags and noisome pools.  Then I sank up to my knees in something that had such great suction it was a very difficult job getting out on my own. But it was 0230 and you won't be up there still at that time of night, hopefully!!

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

ha ha, thanks T Rex, feel better now! This feels a real step up for me in terms of races and ultras, but thats what it's all about, challenging myself to new and greater distances and challenges, now to sort the training plan.....

just had a look at events and the 'Three Forts Marathon' looks interesting, and challenging, 27.2 miles, 3450ft of ascent, some serious hills! It's May 3rd, so about 4 weeks before the Brecons Ultra, would this be a good one to do for training?

• The entry list for stage 1 (Black Mountains on 28th March) is now available. 92 ultra runners listed. Great event - looking forward to it again.

http://www.mightcontainnuts.com/events/pdf/round_1_entries.pdf