Might Contain Nuts - The Welsh Trail Running Series 2015

Comments

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    Dank-art wrote (see)

I didn't think there was a lot of navigation required????, i have no experience yet of navigating with compass! Getting worried now! image

It is not a navigation exercise; I have not had a problem and I can get lost on a 10k! 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Dank - I personally think something like Three Forts would be ideal preparation.  Quite a bit of climbing and just the right time before your ultra.  Go for it.  Can also recommend Neolithic.  11 miles of tank tracks on Salisbury Plain should help you prepare for the stony bits!  Doesn't have all that much ascent though.

Not meant to be a navigation exercise but could become one!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'd originally entered Rounds 1 and 2 but both have clashed with other priorities so now only doing Round 3.

Does anyone know how that MCN 100 went was it last year or 2013?  Did it take place?

I have plans for an own challenge in the Beacons, but not divulging it at this time.  Could be several years away yet.  Suffice to say that a lot of recceing is going to be needed.

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Thanks Trex, yes I think i'll go for it, looks quite a challenge too and means i can try out my race gear for Brecons

Regarding GPS and navigation for Brecons, will Iphone be ok, is there a decent signal or is compass and maps the only way if things go awry!?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

There is a mandatory kit list to look at.  Don't know much about new-fangled gadgets like iphones but I expect one will be fine.  I'd get a waterproof case.

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

MCN 100 didn't happen, there wasn't enough interest in it... I marshalled at MCN3 last year and was chatting about it then. They've also dropped the old "Wye 50" from Round 3 and replaced it with a Black Mountains route. There wasn't enough interest in that route either...

does the iPhone GPS work without a mobile signal, (my android phone works even in airplane mode) if so, then yes it should be fine - but make sure you know how to use it first, especially if you're using it with a route map/GPS track.

plus, remember you could be out there for 12+ hours, so consider battery life, either take a charger or turn it off when you don't need it. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi, GeeeM.  No, I didn't think it did.  It was an ambitious plan to link the Central Beacons with the Black Mountains.  The route looked awesome.  I'm limiting myself to 60 miles at the moment since in two of the last races I have gone beyond that I've been taken off the course in an ambulance.

I wonder if Round 3 route is the same or completely different to Round 1?  Have to wait and see.  Round 1 route does look very interesting with a number of very steep climbs and descents. It also goes on the more scenic, northerly ridge than the one with Offa's Dyke path on it over Black Mountain.

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

More advice needed!

So, my INOV8 X Talons 212 don't have much in the way of cushioning, I think in hindsight I bought the wrong shoes.... anyway I am now signed up for three Forts marathon on May 3rd and obviously Brecon Ultra, so could some one suggest some shoes suitable for these events, i am assuming cushioned would be preferred due to rough track and loose stone etc?

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I have just bought some Saucony Xodus 5's very like my Saucony Kinvara's but I have not had a chance to test them properly; they should be good and I feel well padded and supported.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

If you can find some to try on do have a look at La Sportiva.  I wear Crosslites but there a few other models. A good general purpose off road shoe that has plenty of grip but can also handle road sections.  

The only thing such shoes do not grip on is wet rock.  For that you need hardcore fell shoes (which I can't advise on).

• sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭

Whatever shoes you choose they'll be wrong for at least 50% of the course. Stick with what you have, as long as you're used to 'em. 

• Ran the BB's 10 peaks 56 miler last September in Inov8 295,s  preformed well on all the surfaces covered. The day was dry though, and the ground firm. T-Rex was there image 

Trouble was my little toes were poking out of the sides by the time I finished, I did do all the training in them whilst on the hills. 

Would / will buy another pair when I start training for this years race.

• sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭
    We were lucky on the BB10 peaks. If it had been wet 295's would have been bad. You're back for more? I'm marshalling this year can't wait to see it from the other side.
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    Not used my inov 8 yet so could easily buy a better suited pair of shoes and start training with those, so best suggestions of shoes would be ?
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Dank - it depends on the weather, in normal conditions it'll be a bit boggy, grassy, rocky and muddy with a bit of decent trail and road thrown in. If it's wet replace grassy and muddy with boggy image

My preference is for a lightweight, fast draining shoe with a rockplate, (the old New Balance MT110 which is now discontinued). I'm loving the New Balance 1210 Leadville at the moment which I'll probably use at Round 1 next weekend.  just don't get on with Inov-8 shoes, have tried loads on in vain - they're just too narrow in the forefoot for me.

In my opinion cushioning isn't as important as you're on soft ground for most of it, yes - so there's some rocky sections but it's not Snowdonia or the Lake District and the rocky bits are fairly short lived. A rockplate definitely helps smooth out these sections though.

Maybe not much help? Use what you're comfortable in is the best advice I guess!

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the Advice so it seems like my xtalons would be ok, not sure if they would be the best for road though as the lugs underneath are quite deep? Guess they would wear down rapidly over Tarmac surfaces, I haven't gained at all in them so will be using them first time next week when I get back to training! image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I must check out the latest NB shoes.  I find the brand good because just about the only offroad shoes that come in wide fittings.

Agree with GeeeM about Inov-8 shoes.  They are too narrow for me, and I've bought three different models each of which I've struggled to 'use up'.

Time for a motivational pic ...

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Love it T Rex image 

"And in the distance you would be able to see a most spectacular view"

Been there, done that!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe0EUTQs35uirr4seeOUFUt_OCt6iO6JSMi6thnhZ31c-yv8o6wQ

"Where the **** is that next check point?!"

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Oh dear, where's Dank-art gone??

I think the message is - doesn't matter about what type of shoes as long as they're done up tightly!

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    I am here! image I'll use my xtalons and take the consequences! image
  • T Rex wrote (see)

Oh dear, where's Dank-art gone??

I think the message is - doesn't matter about what type of shoes as long as they're done up tightly!

if it helps...........the mountain are a lot drier this weekend than they were a fortnight ago.. image

• another one who found inov8 too tight... on the toe box. blistered within 2 miles.....image

cant afford to experiment and try any others now...will stick to my old brand even though they arent great.

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    I have the feeling I am in for a baptism by fire with this one !!!!
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    Dank-art wrote (see)
    I have the feeling I am in for a baptism by fire with this one !!!!

The MCN events that I have done were in March and bloody freezing! More trial by ice, snow and wind image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

All the best for anyone doing Round 1 on Saturday.  It does look a tough course but not as wet underfoot as it could be.  We have had a relatively dry winter/early spring.

Wish I was coming but can't make this particular one, nor Round 2, sadly.