Thursday 15th January 2004

Morning all. Haven't started the thread for a while - I trust I find you well.

Today I shall be giving it some long intervals, to the total of about 10 miles. Not sure why, it just seems like the thing to do. Decided to rest today (sensibly, I think), so I'm raring to go.

Have fun.

Comments

• Well I will post and run,

What something down at the club
    why- i am on course with my scheduled sessions this week so can go with the flow.
  • Morning all,

What: 8M hilly circuit pm

Why: hills build strength

Last hard: Tue

Last rest: Fri

Hope it doesn't rain today!
  • Hi all

what: 5miles with 3 miles faster in the middle
    why: schedule says so

Might do this on the tready if the weather is wet.I got soaked yesterday!

catch you later
    tiaxx
  • Good morning

What:rest day body is achy after yesterday

Why:body dictates so

Good luck out there today Happy Running

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Morning All,

Oops! Crosspost or thread? :-)

What: LT-10 run for 60 mins. Did 7.1 miles.
    Why: Stage2 BT
    Last hard: 2003
    Last rest: 19 days ago.
    MPW(Sun): 41miles

Enjoy your day.
  • morning all,

what : squash
    why : today is rest day on FLM schedule but want to get fitness up
    last hard : weds
    last rest : mon

aaaagghhh, the schedule is God....

Hope your all well
  • Morning All,

Well the most extraordinary thing happened whilst I was out for my easy run last night. I passed another runner going in the opposite direction to me, we both said "hi" as we passed and then he turned round and yelled my name. I went back to discover it was an old mate from secondary school days that I'd not seen for about 18 years!! Had a brief chin-wag, planning to get a pint together and catch-up on the last 2 decades!

Popsider, great result.

What: 8-9M steady, pcik it up a little at the end.
    Why: All part of the step-back week prior to Sundays race.
    Last hard run: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Monday

I'm doing the Folksworth 15 on Sunday and want some advice. My long term goal right now is to peak for FLM in April. Bearing that in mind would people recommend that I do the race on Sunday as an 'eyeballs out' effort or use it as a marathon pace run?

cheers
    mm
  • Morning all

What: 9 miles steady
    Why: Club run and run to and from club 1 1/2 each way)
    Last hard run Tuesday
    Last rest: Monday

The belly is slowly going!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning,

What a nice way to meet up with long lost mates MM and you both obviously still have something in common, so conversation shouldn't be difficult!

If it were me I'd do the 15miles as a race, there's still a lot of training to do for FLM.

What:5 miles recovery run plus swimming

why:it's what I feel like doing

Last hard:Tues

Last rest:Friday
  • morning all

what: 4m easy
    why: recovery
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: sunday

Mrs FG bought me some surprise Nike Mayflys yesterday. Can't wait to try them in a race...
    Probably Bourton on the water 10k at end of Feb - anyone know it?
  • Morning all!

What: schedule says 4 miles @ marathon pace, but I think I´ll do more. It´s -10 outside and the wind is dropping, so it could be a good run.
    Why: Good question as I´m shattered today - not content with running yesterday, I went cross country skiing with friends last night, worked hard and was hardly able to stay awake afterwards! I´ve just done an hour of snow shovelling this mroning and feel like going back to bed.
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Saturday

We´re still cut off from the outside world, the pass to the east of us is under seven metres of snow!!!!
  • Morning

Not posted here since last week so:

Sat: 13 mile lsd
    Sun: 7 mile recovery
    Mon & Tues: rest due to bad cold
    Wed: 6 miles slow

Track tonight for what passes as a speed session for me! Then a rest day tomorrow to psych myself up for this weekend's planned 15 miler (eek!).

Have a good day everyone!
  • BTW, Hilly, forgot to say, that sounded like a great run yesterday, looks like you're back on track.

Wow, Marmite Master, what a conincidence. It's even more of a startling one if you didn't go to school in Nottingham.

It reminds me of a couple of years ago when me and Mr B were climbing at Tremadoc, we got talking to two men ... turned out they lived in nottingham, not suprising as it's a big place ... but where in Nottingham? Same street as us and five doors down the road - spooky!
  • Morning,
    Locked out of house until 9pm last night so missed speed session with club and had fish and chips sat my mates house instead.

What: 3 icy miles done this morning, trying out a new circuit trainging sesison tonight.
    Why: Don't feel I have been getting enough 'intense' workouts from my running since I started 15 months ago sowill try including 1hour of circuits per week.
  • Morning everyone

Well did my hills last night and wasn't as bad as I was expecting so pleased with that.

what: club run, probably in the rain, hopefully about 5-6miles
    why: feeling quite fresh today
    last hard: tuesday
    last rest:friday

have a good day everyone
  • Morning all,

What: 8K row @ 2:03 pace, 200+ drag

Why: Resting sore ankle/achilles

Last hard: 18 days
    Last rest: 20 days

7 day cumulative: 'single figures' :(

I hope all this non-running is doing me good, I reckon one more day off of my feet and then I'll try a short run.

I've got to get back to running, I'm putting on 1 lb a day in weight.

Have a good day all.
  • Morning all

Beautiful frosty morning here today so should be good for a run at lunchtime.

What: 6 miles easy
    Why: Recover from last night
    Last hard: last night!
    Last rest: Monday

Tomorrow will be my last day in my current job before I move on to something new. The only good thing about this job has been my broadband access which allows me to keep an eye on the forum all day! I doubt the new job will give me quite as much time to post on here but I'll still try to get on most days :o)

• BodBod ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Cold and a little slippy underfoot on towpath

What : 60mins with 20mins @LT-10
    Why : Bt Stage 2
    Last rest : 19 days
    Last Hard : This am, getting out of warm bed.

MM - I'm not a born runner or racer but i found that occasionally running a race of 2 halves is strangely satisfying ie comfortable first half and wind it up later. You pass loads of people and get a real feeling of energy in the tank (time usually suffers of course). Can be a positive experience to take forward. I did Folksworth in the famous flooded race last year, ran at 20 secs/mile faster than planned mara pace and felt great, even posting fastest mile on last uphill stretch - didn't stop me from having crap FLM ie 1min/m worse than planned pace!
  • Morning all,

Well, after saying I enjoyed running in the rain yesterday I paid for it this morning. Canal bank was like running through a swamp.

What: am 5m easy, pm club night, 8x1 min.
    Why: Short club session for the benefit of those doing Helsby, a bit frustrating for those of us who aren't :(
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: 6 days

Have a good one.
  • Morning,

Tonight: track, maybe 5 x 800m, 200m recoveries hopefully
    Why: time to reintroduce some speed
    Last hard: Sunday's long
    Last rest: Friday

This will be first time down the track since mid November - think it could be a bit of a shock to the system!

MM, personally I don't race anything over half marathon distance whilst in marathon prep. And on the 2:45 thread, somebody has just quoted Noakes as saying you shouldn't run more than 10 miles at marathon pace. That seems a bit short to me though.

It's still fairly early days in the FLM buildup though. How about doing the first 8 - 10 miles at easy pace, then speeding up to marathon pace for the rest?
  • All this marathon advice is so confusing for the first timer! I am planning two 20 milers in prep for London but for me I think its important to convince myself I can do the distance rather than attempting to 'peak'.

• Morning all

I told porkies yesterday regarding my training. I fess up, I actually did SFA.

Strange co-incidence MM! ref 15 miler, if the race is not key for club, points in league etc then follow the advice about 20 an easy first half and wind it up for the second half. See how big a -ve split you can get, I managed 6mins odd on a 10 miler. Have FUN.

Given yesterdays laziness

what : 8.5mile 3 minute alternating pace run (10k race/slow).
    Why : I quite like this session, esp when the hills arrive at the "wrong" point.
    last hard : def sun, poss tues
    last rest : wed
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Know what you mean, Birdypie. Having a minor crisis over whether I should have followed Hal Higdon's Novice programme rather than Intermediate 1 - this is my first marathon and should I be aiming to complete (in one piece!) rather than being ambitious in going for a time? Only started wondering this as 5 weeks into the schedule EVERYTHING from the thighs down hurts - this is either totally normal as I'm demanding a lot more from my body than it's used to, or a warning sign that it's not ready for this level of training. (Of course, the fact that I don't seem to be able to run as slowly as I should be on some of my runs probably doesn't help). What to do?

In the meantime:

What: 3 miles planned with NRG-B after work.
    Why: Schedule says so ... and maybe some company and a change of route will be as good as a rest?
    Last hard: Yesterday felt very hard - legs ached, hills seemed to have increased in length and gradient, wind was biting and icy ...
    Last rest: Monday.

Have a good day peeps.
  • Hilly, sounds like things going in the right direction now.

MM, enjoyed meeting you at Folksworth last year. Sadly we won't be there this year - Mr. was too late to get a place and we've now made other plans. However you decide to run it, hope its a good race for you, no icy rivers to ford.

What: 8 miles, run/walk 4/1. Confidence building after 2 difficult months. The nice thing about long (yes, long) runs is that the percent of the run which is comfortable is significantly greater than in the shorter ones. Felt fine from mile 1 to mile 7.

Perfect conditions, frosty, sund, wind at my back on the homeward leg.

hope all goes equaly well for the rest of you.

Llama man, hope things are better today.
  • I'm going for the RW online marathon prog Intermediate 1. I am OK at the minute but trying to be open minded about what I am doing and if I am really tired hopefully I'll just take a day off it.

OK so far - just trying to mentally prepare for when things get harder in February!
  • hi all - just a quick one cos everyone in the office is looking the other way -

Treadmill - realised after I logged off last night that "I'm 47 today" meant "BIRTHDAY", I was being a bit slow. So happy birthday for yesterday, and hope it was a good one!
  • Howdy,
    What: lightish circuits session am; fartlek at lunchtime
    Why: overall bodywork; following 2-week pre-10k prep schedule
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: Monday
    Some terrific posts/training going on!
  • Minkin. Do you run with an HRM? - that can tell you if you´re running too fast or not. Must admit, I ignore my HRM when it tells me I´m running too fast anyway, and have been known to switch off the bleep!

Hal does have ´stepback weeks´every three or four weeks, doesn´t he? I think you´ll have a stepback week next week? (I know I have!). See how you feel after an easier week before you make any decisions about changing programmes.

Marathon training is tough, and your body will protest at times, the secret is to know whether your aches and pains are the result of training well, over-training or injury. Make sure you stretch well after each run, have cold baths after long runs (sorry, but they do work), and get plenty of sleep (I was going to add 'and make sure you're eating enough' but having had a conversation on this thread about pasta volumes a few weeks back, I know you do!) Take care, LizzyB

• Hi
    What 45 mins fartlek
    Why coach says to
    Last rest yesterday
    Last hard last Fri 1 hr hill reps

sun is out in Southend and its 15.4 c acording to my weather station i got for xmas with a wind of 2.9 mph form the east(will take my anorak off now)
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lizzy - sound advice. I'll get a slap for the BTers for saying this but my HRM has remained steadfastly in the drawer since I gave up on BT several weeks ago. Perhaps I should resurrect it - not to base train, but at least to keep an eye on my pace. That said, it's hard to regulate it when your training is done on undulating routes ... and even when I was using it, frustration at having to go so slowly often meant I ignored it!

Yes, I have a 'stepback' week next week. Perhaps I will leave it until after that before I decide what to do.

Determining whether aches and pains are 'normal' (i.e. the result of an increased training load) or whether they're caused by over-training or injury is really difficult. I suspect the former, but I don't help myself by constantly running too hard.

Up until last week I rarely bothered with stretching (I know, I know!) but I have been making an effort to do this over the past few days. The only thing I can't face is cold baths, so I've been having warm ones instead. I'm pretty sure I eat enough :-)

Good luck with your training - I take my hat off to you managing to stick with it in the conditions you have to train in! Makes me feel like a complete wimp!