Options

Thursday 15th January 2004

13»

Comments

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    What: 1 hours basetraining
    Why: Because i want to.

Can't believe how easy it is this running lark, and i'm teetering(if thats a word) towards 30 miles per week

5k race in hyde park end of the month, just to see if i've got slower or faster(ppllease), not raced in absolute ages.
    Then the big one, (well ok not that big) 15 miles in 8 weeks time (on sunday)
  • Options
    Hello folks,

Reading all the posts, you all seem to be doing well!
    LizzyB, you still haven't done your weather dance to send the blizzards here!
    I had every intention of doing a nice steady 8 miles with one of my running partners at work at lunchtime, however work was busy (for a change!) and I had to go running by myself a little later (1.45pm), when the temperature was 75 degrees (not a cloud in sight!).
    Unfortunately I took a wrong turning and thinking I was good at orienteering carried on!
    BAD IDEA! The weather got worse and I finished having run about 11 miles, although I was happy with the time of 1hr 18 mins!
    Am getting ever more nervous by the day - first ever marathon in 16 days!!!!HELP!!!!
    Dubai Dave, How you cope over there - I will never know!!
    Regards to you all, Gareth
  • Options
    Aw, Tim, certainly not tough. It's alright for those of you up to doing 9m tempo runs! I'm just trying to get some sort of foundation for the Southerns on the 24th, which I am told is 9 miles and plenty hills [?!?!?!] - I just don't do these sorts of distances. Are you doing the Southerns?

Gareth, at least it was a kind of constructive accident of its kind?
  • Options
    JFB, You seem to be doin' alright considering you haven't run any lengthy distances for so long.
    As for a 'constructive accident', I hope I don't do it again. At one point on the run, I was running up what I can only describe as a 'goat track', although I couldn't see any goats!!!!
    Thought that I would be out all day!And in the heat too!
    Am so envious of you running in the cooler weather, and I ain't joking. I hate the sun!
    Good luck for the Southerns, and I'm sure you'll do well.
    Are you running the FLM?
    Regards
  • Options
    JFB, I'll see you there,
    I'm using it as a hard training run. I'll start steady & up the pace each lap if I can.
    Parliament Hill is a very tough place to run, I'm actually getting nervous!
    With all this rain it's going to be very deep mud in places.
  • Options
    Gareth, running in the heat is definitely tougher, you have my sympathy. Thanks for your best wishes, and very best of luck for your first Marathon! I won't be doing the FLM, it's way too far for me. The longest I've ever raced was the County XC a couple of weeks back, 12K, which was a shock to the system, and that was flat as a pancake.

Tim, is that supposed to be encouraging or wot??? Hopefully see you at the start, I somehow doubt I'll see you after that (well, maybe a muddy pair of heels)!

Right, time to go home and stop talking about doing it...
  • Options
    Cracking run in the woods again tonight with my headlamp.
    10 miles in 70:54 - I needed an easy run after the exertions of that session yesterday and so decided to take to the trails instead of going on the roads... where I was more likely to try to push the pace. My legs were pretty sore throughout today.

Did a very hilly muddy route where I had to take care at times as the light isnt all that bright afterall. The first 5 miles took me 37:00 and as my confidence in the dark grew, I ran the same 5 miles in reverse in 33:54.

• Options
    What - rest. Not planned, looking after the kids all day and night so not able to get out. Still at least I missed the club handicap which is always a bonus, plus my achilles probably needs it.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good evening all.

am..15 miles in 1:49 (dry conditions)
    pm..6 miles steady with the club (waterlogged conditions)

Dosen't this sort of mileage do wonders for the appetite (says he tucking into a chelsea bun).

Glad to hear you are pleased with your progress Pammie, I think you will be surprised at your improvement in the 5K. Just make sure you are fresh for the event.
  • Options
    evening just did a 7 mile recovery around 9 min mile pace and a long stretch, feeling really good like i havent done a run today, so am really happy with todays runs.

yes the gym is very hot, and the air is really stuffy, can run at the same speed outside.

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Nice easy 3 mile run with Minkins around Regent's Park, London. Yes it was pouring with rain but I really enjoyed the company. The time flew by.

What I could not understand is that we ran clockwise, everyone else was running anti-clockwise. And it was so dark I reckon I could do with a headlamp like Donaldo.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments wardi, i'll keep you posted on that one.
  • Options
    NRG-B, anti-clockwise is the way most people turn round!
    We race round the track anti-clockwise.
    Most road races go anti-clockwise.
  • Options
    Evening

What: 7.7 mile appx 51 mins
    Why: club run

Going back to read todays thread now...

Andy
  • Options
    P.s. Weekly Mileage so far = 16 + a bit = more than I can recall for a long time, with one run still to go!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya,

Been a bit feeble this week - busy at work as about 30% are off with flu/bugs/January p1ss takes.
    Saying that don't feel too clever myself...

Got to the gym last night and did some speedwork : 8*800m @16km/h (treadmills top speed :-( ) with 400m recovs at 12km/h.
    Felt fairly comforatble it has to be said.

Couldn't get out tonight (wife at Boxercise) and tomorrow looks doubtful (wife babysitting for friends) - not too bothered as I've done some speedwork, and there is no point worrying too much about 7-10 miles missed at this stage of the game.
    Also have the GRIM on Sunday so the rest may do me some good!

Happy running !
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    BigTim: Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! (Not that monkey!).

I used a track for the first time a few weeks ago to do my Hadd Test. I ran anti-clockwise and all the other runners went clockwise. Didn't want cause a collison (like they do at CERN) so I reversed my direction. And so did they!!!

Please explain track etiquette to me.

• Options
    Evening everyone. Just got in from a long days work and training.

What: 5.5 miles @ midday - 7min/m pace
    1 hour circuit training early evening &
    5.6 miles slow @ 8pm
    Why: Building milage and fitness after poor start to the year.
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Yesterday

Doubt that I will get the time to read the thread today.
  • Options
    Had a bit of a wet run this evening- 8.45 miles according to the route on the noticeboard felt lively, 1:01:25. Got Woodkirk 10k on Sunday so will do easy running till then.
  • Options
    Evening all, didn't manage to run today.

Hope to do an easy half hour tomorrow.
  • Options
    Regarding a much earlier post, Minkin, I'm just like you. Too much, too often and as now sometimes too soon after injury and then wonder why I the n get another injury. I also rarely stretch, it's so boring! But should particularly as I'm getting on a bit, 47, : ) or :( And I have never had a cold bath !!

And I've just tried to get back to fitness after injury only to get another and so haven't run for the past 2 days :-(
    DCD
  • Options
    Evening All

What: 4 miles easy am, 6.2 miles club handicap run pm.
    Why: mileage building

Have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Oh the shame....

What : 11k on a dreadmill, horribly hot. Getting into this HRM business though - so many new figures/statistics to mess about with and collect. Not unlike cricket ?

Why : Froze last night, and pouring tonight - so chickened out of my planned run and, after driving straight past the club, headed for the gym.

Well, someone needs to lower the standards of this thread !

Happy dreams people

• Options
    no shame
    it was a run wasnt it

i did sodd all
  • Options
    Get well soon Treadmill. I need some revenge:)

Well done Popsider... so what speedwork did you do to achieve a 5k pb again?....

MM, re. Folksworth. Eyeballs on the floor, mate.

What: 11 miles am, 4 mile pm with Pantman either side of a meeting in Guildford.

Then on to lecture by Bill Adcocks, course record holder for Athens Marathon (2:11). Fascinating and inspiring stuff.
  • Options
    NRG-B, track etiquette,

Train anti-clockwise round the track

Your not supposed to train in lane one

If passing another athlete it's considered polite to call "track" so they know your comeing.
    [my club chairman decided this was not very friendly & the youngsters wouldn't understand, so now I use lane one & just shout "get out the way"] :-)

Don't cross the in-field or upset time-keepers & track officials!!!!