Running review of 2014

• Miles completed?
  • Where/when/who with have most your runs been?
  • Best run?
  • Worst run?
  • Any injuries?
  • Running achievements?
  • Number of races?
  • Best race?
  • Worst race?
  • Any pbs?
  • Best new piece of kit?
  • Any purchases you regret?
  • Mostly been listening to?
  • Goals for 2015?

Comments

• Miles completed? A poor 690 (was aiming for 1000)
    • Where/when/who with have most your runs been? Most runs have been in the streets of Leeds, on my own in the eveninigs.
    • Best run? Probably last runs across London before moving. I quite enjoyed the fact my run commute took me from Waterloo across Hyde Park.
    • Worst run? Tripping on a tree route and landing heavily on my knees and face 6 miles into an 11 mile training run. image
    • Any injuries? Not really. Odd niggle in right foot that has been ongoing throughout 2014.
    • Running achievements? Nothing major this year.
    • Number of races? 2 x HM, 1 x 10k, 1 x ParkRun
    • Best race? Got to be Leeds half marathon as I finally beat my pb after 4 years trying. Was well organised, had pacers at 5 min intervals (finish times), and despite 5000 finishes and me stating near the back, it never felt overcrowded and was easy to get going at my own pace from the start.
    • Worst race? Croydon Half marathon. Feel a bit bad saying it as it was a well organised small race, but the route was a bit dull; around residential streets then along main roads.
    • Any pbs? Half marathon. Was 7 seconds off 5K pb.
    • Best new piece of kit? New Garmin 210. Doesn’t do as much as my previous 305, but is smaller and lighter, and I never used most the features anyway.
    • Any purchases you regret? A pair of lightweight trainers. Whenever I used them any small niggles seemed to intensify. They’ve mostly sat on the shoe rack.
    • Mostly been listening to? BBC 6music on iplayer radio ap.
    • Goals for 2015? This will be the year I make 1000 miles (it has been my goal for last 3 years and most I’ve done is just over 700). I’d also like to do a sub 2 hour half marathon.
    • Miles completed? 1770. I wanted 2000 and was way ahead of schedule until injury struck.
    • Where/when/who with have most your runs been? Mostly the roads of Leeds but a bit in Manchester since I moved.
    • Best run? Probably Leeds Half, I doubt I've ever felt that good when running.
    • Worst run? Anything since I got injured really, probably being unable to run 1.5 miles round my Halls because it hurt so much.
    • Any injuries? The afore mentioned problem, IT Band trouble to be specific. I'm just glad it occurred after my races and when I was easing down anyway. 
    • Running achievements? Most miles in a year ever, did first Marathon and in a time I was chuffed with. Also broke 90 minutes in the Leeds Half which was great.
    • Number of races? 1 x Marathon 1 x HM 1 x 10K 1 x 5K
    • Best race? Probably the half, but the marathon was an incredible experience
    • Worst race? The 10k, although it wasn't bad, just not as good as the others
    • Any pbs? 5K, HM, and obviously the marathon as it was my first.
    • Best new piece of kit? N/A
    • Any purchases you regret? N/A
    • Mostly been listening to? Never bother with music on runs.
    • Goals for 2015? Massive focus on speed over distance, so I guess 10k and 5k Pbs would be the aim. But more importantly, I hope I can enjoy running as much as I did in 2014. 
    • Miles completed? Just over 1100 - I was pleased with that as it's only my first full year of running and I was aiming for 1000.
    • Where/when/who with have most your runs been? Just round our neighbourhood with my husband mainly early in the year. Since joining my running club in August most of my running has been with the club.
    • Best run? There have been a few... my last half marathon was great because I felt so controlled all the way through and smashed my target time; my first ever Sunday run with my Running Club - we came to an overgrown path that was neck-high with nettles... it took us about 30 minutes to go the 50-100 meter distance... its a run I'll never forget!
    • Worst run? One of my early runs after returning from injury - it was going really well and was my first pain-free run for sometime. Then I tripped and landed hard on my knees, elbows, shoulder and hands... Ouch!
    • Any injuries? ITB problem in October. Took a week off running completely then had to rebuild my mileage slowly over about 8 weeks after that.
    • Running achievements? Reaching my 1000 miles target for the year, finishing first in my local parkrun's women's Points Table and helping my club win our local Cross-Country league.
    • Number of races? 1 x 5k (off-road), 1 x 5m, 5 x 10k (1 off-road), 1 x 8m (off-road), 2 x Half Marathon plus local team relays and cross country league (4 races). Oh, and countless parkruns.
    • Best race? Congleton Half Marathon - felt perfectly prepared and felt totally in control throughout. I also beat my previous Half Marathon PB by over 10 minutes.
    • Worst race? Stoke 10k on the day after we came home from holiday (a 6 hour drive home). Time wasn't too bad, but I felt awful from start to finish!
    • Any pbs? In all distances as its my first full year of running! The best were my Half Marathon at Congleton and my parkrun PB of 21:32
    • Best new piece of kit? My Garmin 220 and my Nike trainers
    • Any purchases you regret? None
    • Mostly been listening to? None
    • Goals for 2015? Average 100 miles a month to run 1200 miles in total over the year. I will also run my first marathon in the summer which is going to be my main race. Otherwise I would like to get a sub-1:40 half marathon and a sub-21 parkrun this year.

• Miles completed? 1277.2, mostly in the run-up to spring marathons.
    • Where/when/who with have most your runs been? Mostly local runs, although have also tried to run whenever I've been away anywhere, e.g.- USA / Spain. Have also had quite a few runs with my local running club - a great bunch of people, but being in Cumbria, they all share a worrying tendency to run on muddy hills and in the rain!
    • Best run? Toss up between London marathon and GNR - PBs at both, broke the 1.5 hours barrier at the GNR and just missed out on GFA at London (but still a great result)
    • Worst run? In some ways, the final stages of these two runs - I pushed myslef hard at both and had to dig deep. Proud of what I achieved, but it was hellish at the time.
    • Any injuries? Had PF for a few months now, it's really starting to annoy me that I can't shift it.
    • Running achievements? Breaking the 1.5 hours for the half-marathon by over a minute.
    • Number of races? 2 marathons (London & Edinburgh). 2 half-marathons (GNR & Glasgow).
    • Best race? All good for different reasons. Edinburgh was great for me because I felt great and paced for a friend, finishing with him was great.
    • Worst race? Miles 8 to 12 of the GNR - working towards a great time, really feeling it (it was a properly hot day) and having to constantly re-assess when I was likely to finish - if I wasn't going to break 1:30 I was going to back right off, and until about the 12 mile marker I still wasn't close enough to be confident that I would make it and it was tehrefore worthwhile working as hard as I was.
    • Any pbs? Yep, marathon 3:16:07 and HM 1:28:54
    • Best new piece of kit? Trainers
    • Any purchases you regret? None
    • Mostly been listening to? Same old playlists, but AC/DC always on there.
    • Goals for 2015? Getting under that damn 3:15 for the marathon which is GFA time for me - I will have 3 attempts at it this year - Paris, London & Edinburgh. Enjoying running and avoiding injuries.